Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Saquon Barkley should be our 2nd or third pick

horseshoecrabs

Very seldom do you get to pick this high in the draft. Ok that being said at this point in the draft you could play it safe , trade down get  holes you need to fill in  draft , which is ok but you still don't have play makers that could define your team for along time . Look what Gurley did for the rams, Elliot ( when he wasn't in trouble for the cowboys) Melvin  for the Chargers,  Derrich Henry ( ok he spits time with De marco murray) and the list goes on. but what does these players have in common? They are now relevant teams. (ok dallas maybe not) for now because of the distractions of the suspensions. but the point is we need play makers too. The triplets back with Manning, Harrison, James. With Barkley we get a  Marshall faulk, James type of back all rolled into one. He can break away run or catch out of the backfield. The only questionable maybe pass block.  We at this point don't know for sure if he is going to opt to the NFL this year. but if he does we should seriously consider taking him with the 2 or 3rd pick. If he is the playmaker he has the potential to be we should draft him so we can have a  Andrew luck, ty Hilton, and a playmaker that can run or catch, ala Falk. as the triplets  to build around. For all the nay Sayers you can always get the holes you need in the draft or with free agents but marquee players will cost you in FA so roll the dice and get a marquee player for a song for a few years. 

Edited by horseshoecrabs
spelling

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barkley's a big time stud, and if next year was our year to go all in for a ring I'd agree. 

But I'm in the camp that would rather have an OT (ie Williams, McGlinchey) or a pass rusher (ie Chubb, Key) who plays a position that CAN'T be done by committee.  If there aren't players at those positions that grade out for a #3 pick come April, I'd be fine with trading down, as its much easier to find running backs later in the draft than pass rushers or OTs.  And running backs careers don't typically last as long.

1 hour ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Very seldom do you get to pick this high in the draft. Ok that being said at this point in the draft you could play it safe , trade down get  holes you need to fill in  draft , which is ok but you still don't have play makers that could define your team for along time . Look what Gurley did for the rams, Elliot ( when he wasn't in trouble for the cowboys) Melvin  for the Chargers,  Derrich Henry ( ok he spits time with De marco murray) and the list goes on. but what does these players have in common? They are now relevant teams. (ok dallas maybe not) for now because of the distractions of the suspensions. but the point is we need play makers too. The triplets back with Manning, Harrison, James. With Barkley we get a  Marshall faulk, James type of back all rolled into one. He can break away run or catch out of the backfield. The only questionable maybe pass block.  We at this point don't know for sure if he is going to opt to the NFL this year. but if he does we should seriously consider taking him with the 2 or 3rd pick. If he is the playmaker he has the potential to be we should draft him so we can have a  Andrew luck, ty Hilton, and a playmaker that can run or catch, ala Falk. as the triplets  to build around. For all the nay Sayers you can always get the holes you need in the draft or with free agents but marquee players will cost you in FA so roll the dice and get a marquee player for a song for a few years. 

Gurley and Melvin were mid-first round picks, Derrick Henry wasn't even drafted in the first round. Only Elliott of the 4 fits your narrative. We could easily trade down and still get a playmaker along with more picks to fix this team. Malik Hooker from last year comes to mind as well as Ryan Kelly from 2016. We need a team around Luck and this is our best chance to do it while we have this rare, high pick.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Gurley and Melvin were mid-first round picks, Derrick Henry wasn't even drafted in the first round. Only Elliott of the 4 fits your narrative. We could easily trade down and still get a playmaker along with more picks to fix this team. Malik Hooker from last year comes to mind as well as Ryan Kelly from 2016. We need a team around Luck and this is our best chance to do it while we have this rare, high pick.

I agree,Barkey is definitely talented,but as the 3rd pick in the draft,i would rather trade down a little and get more pics if possible.

If you pick that high, you need to get a special player.  Barkley jumps off the film like few players I've seen in recent times.  

You have a ton of cap space and pick high in every round.  If you feel he's a special player, a home run, take him.  That pick isn't your only option to improve the O-line and defense.  Long term, having an elite running game and an outlet receiver/receiving threat like Barkley would go a long way toward protecting Luck.  If you improve the O-line and add a threat like Barkley, Luck's life becomes much easier.

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

1) Of all the backs you mentioned, only Elliot was a high 1st round pick (4th). Which is comparable to where we will be picking.

2) Of all the teams these players are on, only the Rams  and either the Chargers or Titans will make the playoffs. This is Gurley’s third year on the Rams and this will be the first year they have made the playoffs. No doubt Gurley is good, but me thinks it was finding a QB and a new head coach that has turned the Rams into a playoff team, not Gurley alone.

3) Do you think that if we had him this year that we would of made the playoffs? I don’t. 

I don’t disagree that he is a good player and has the potential to be great in the NFL, I just don’t see using that high of a pick on him, or running back. I’d rather add a defensive play maker, that is where we need the most help. That or OLine but I don’t see any LT’s worth taking that high either. And no I don’t want to take a guard that high either!

With all this debating going on I am sure glad Ballard is the one who is picking? Or trading? Or whatever?

Every year all this kind of talk goes on about who needs to be picked were and very seldom does it turn out like most think.

No matter who is picked there will be long discussions on who was right and who was wrong from all kind of angles. For those who guessed right they will say I told you so. For those who were wrong you will say what a big mistake was made.

The bottom line is none of us will know if it's the right pick till at least halfway thru the next season.

Hindsight always makes things clearer. :D

4 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Barkley is a stud. I would be happy with Barkley, B.Chubb, or Joshua Jackson (depending where we pick) as our first pick.

Both are good, but where do we get the best fill?

With Barkley we get a solid RB, but we already have Mack who has shown great stuff. Frank wants to come back for another year. But we need a better O-line to really let our RB's cut lose.

With Chubb we could get a great fill and a position we need as we had the worst front seven over the season. 

The same of chubbs can be said about nelson or williams, but for our offensive line. 

I'm so torn with Barkley. I love watching him play and genuinely think he could be better than each of the running backs drafted in recent years.

On the other hand I don't think we have a situation here that would allow him to reach his maximum potential, I'm not a massive fan of using high picks on running backs and I thinks an elite defensive player would have more impact on short term results.

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him but I think I'd just accept that we'd be an extra year away from truly competing but we'd have a nice building block for if we ever got a pass rusher and a coherent offensive line.

6 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

He may be good, but we have no OL for him to run behind. Gotta protect the QB first and foremost. 

I like RB Barkley and would support him if he dons a horseshoe in 2018. While watching the bowl game of Penn State vs Washington, one of the commentators pointed out that Barkley can move laterally like Todd Gurley, but also carries some traits like Marshall Faulk and that is explosiveness. 

I think if Barkley is there at our selection, GM Chris Ballard will be getting phone calls from several ball clubs. I would dangle the carrot and trade the pick if the offer is too good to pass up. 

Like a previous poster said (Mighty Lucks), pass rushers are hard to find and running backs such as Alvin Kamara can be had in rounds two or three.  DE/LB Bradley Chubb is a monster and it would be nice to have him coming off the edge. 

If I had to choose between the two, give me Chubb. However, trading the selection could possibly be a home run too! 

My take on this team and who to take up top at 2-3 is tough. I don’t. Think many would disagree this RB is a super talent, and on the right team, he could blow it up I have no doubt. Much like we’ve talked about in the past here, schemes matter. Pass blocking concerns scare me because if he can’t block well, Luck gets even more exposed. What was it that Polian preached, can’t pass up on elite pass rusher or an elite LT. At number 3, we will have our pick of the best Of every position except QB, which is something we hopefully don’t need for another 8 years. The thought of this RB being a Faulk type back with more power makes me really want to take him, however, will we have the personnel to scheme for any type of pass rush with our current guys? Are there any FA rushers we can pay out the nose for or can we get lucky and find a gem at the top of the 2nd round? I’ll assume we either get a gaurd in the FA signing period as luck is priority #1 to protect. Give better protection and ability to create a hole in the middle and our current RB in waiting has plenty of speed to hit the homer in as well. Glad I’m not picking this pressure pick. At this pick, it will make or break our future if it gets screwed up this coming draft. 

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm so torn with Barkley. I love watching him play and genuinely think he could be better than each of the running backs drafted in recent years.

I don't think we have a situation here that would allow him to reach his maximum potential, I'm not a massive fan of using high picks on running backs and I thinks an elite defensive player would have more impact on short term results.

I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him but I think I'd just accept that we'd be an extra year away from truly competing but we'd have a nice building block for if we ever got a pass rusher and a coherent offensive line.

I completely agree with you. While I'd love having Barkley on this team, with the current state of the OL, I'm not sure we'd maximize his potential also. I think someone like Fitzpatrick would possibly make just as fast an impact so long as he could be a stud CB. We don't need to be taking another safety prospect that high. My favorite option is still seeing the best offer you can get and move down for additional picks. 

The only way i take barkely is if Ballard feels confident he fixed the OL in free agency and he's not getting any trade offers worth moving down for. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

He may be good, but we have no OL for him to run behind. Gotta protect the QB first and foremost. 

I’m a Penn St Fan.  Their two losses came when their Left Tackle went down in the 2nd half against Ohio State, and then missed the Mich St game.   With him gone, they couldn’t block for Barkley or McSorley.  Great as Barkley is, he needs blocking.

I'm undecided. If we get a dynamic RB it could take the pressure off Luck and open up the passing game. We have to fix the Oline through free agency, adding 2 legit vets, if we pull the trigger on Barkley.

One thing is certain, Luck can't continue to get beat up. 

5 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I'm undecided. If we get a dynamic RB it could take the pressure off Luck and open up the passing game. We have to fix the Oline through free agency, adding 2 legit vets, if we pull the trigger on Barkley.

One thing is certain, Luck can't continue to get beat up. 

Or the colts could just change the offensive scheme, sign two legit vets, and add a free agent/mid round rb.

Can't believe any o lineman in this draft is gonna step in right away and fix this line. Fix through FA and use later picks on line. Don't see that difference maker on defense worthy of 3rd pick. Guy like Barkley only comes along every so often. Hard to pass up. Maybe his trade value at 3 is brings a Huge haul more so then for one of the qbs. Then I'd be fine with that

Edited by boogmanningluck
Auto correct

3 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

Chubb. Elite pass rushers are hard to find and that’s one position you rarely can fill in free agency. There are some really good backs in this draft that we can get in later rounds. 

Elite rushers are hard to find but good ones do hit FA every once in awhile.  Ansah looks like he will be a FA from Detroit and Lawrence has an outside chance in Dallas though I would be shocked if he gets free.  FA will have an impact on our draft but I believe Ballard will take BPA, as he has said in the past, and we will take Barkley if he's there when we pick.  I'm expecting a trade though. 

I like Barkley but I'm less inclined to go that route as I was earlier. I think if you are running a RBBC system then you wont look for a 30 carries a game type of runner. The guys who fit the committee system you can get later on. I'd probably get an elite player at another position. Maybe you give Barkley more consideration if you know you want one guy who takes the Bulk of the carries.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I want to see what we do in Free Agency first. I guess that is key obviously. If we sign a solid O.Lineman before the Draft then Barkley would be more of an option. We may just take B.Chubb anyway because of the lack of Pass Rushers the Colts have.

Regarding Chubb, the thing that worries me is he isn't a safe pick. And he's not elite. The players I consider safe and elite are Barkley, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson.

I'm usually not a guy that supports a RB in the first round especially with the holes we have but every time I watch this guy play you can this kid is special, very special! He can help out this team so much including the D. You think if Frank Gore can average about 4 yards a carry imagine what Barkley can do. He can transform this team into a run first team which takes pressure off Luck. He can block on 3rd downs and can catch out of the backfield. He also would create more action for our receivers and also with being a run first team it would keep the Defense off the field. I love Chubb and think that's a route Ballard will go especially the way the pass rush is.  I'll say this though for people that want to trade back the Colts would not get Chubb or Barkley because the Brown's would snag Barkley for their young Qb and Tampa is desperate for a pass rusher. Another thikng is we all know Ballard is a BPA guy and everyone knows that Barkley is the best player in this draft so I wouldn't completely ruling Barkley out

Barkley seems like a great back with home run ability!  Nice if you have a line as a Penn st fan pointed out! This is going to get real  interesting  as Ballard has said since he has been here  Best available player regardless of position! Easier said than done!  You could trade you down, but when you do your going down in talent level as well, which increases the odds of the player being a bust! I am a fan of trading down IF players talent level are simalar has say 5 or 6 other players and you get one of them!! Picking at 3 we proabley can pick the very best player on the draft board outside of say a QB which I don't think we need and are overvalued anyway. Cleveland and the NYG could trade down like the colts an Barkley,Chubb or Nelson could be gone! With a secnero like that QB's would drop! To me the biggest needs for the colts are pass rusher, OL espseialy guard, ILB, RB, then WR, TE in that order. The colt guards IMO are not that bad of run blockers they seem to struggle in pass blocking you could draft Barkley sign a guard and hope for the best? To me if Chubb is all he is suppose to be he is AWFULLY HARD to pass on because pass rushers of his size that can play the run to with a motor make the the entire defense better! With the pieces the defense has now, wow the Colts might have the makings of WHAATTTT a  dominant defense!! As a long time Colts fan haven't seen that in a VERY long time! Nelson is a no brainer he's really good and it's a position of extreme need IMO! I would be happy with any of the 3! I think I would be happiest with Chubb though, sign a guard, draft a guard say like I believe  Fernandez  From UTEP in the hopefully 3rd rd and find a ILB in the 2nd who can run and hit, and a serviceable RB in the 4th a north an south type of runner to change it up from Mack, maybe sign Gore for one more year! Now if you were offered 2 first round picks and maybe a 3rd or 2nd you know stupid stuff like that might have to re think it, because the team as is IMO with a healthy Luck which I think he will be is a 8/12 win team! We won't get to pick this high for some time again IMO have to maximize our opportunity! I guess it's in Ballard we trust!! He is going to earn his money on this one! Irsay said Ballard  reminded him of Pollian here is his chance to make his mark!!

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Regarding Chubb, the thing that worries me is he isn't a safe pick. And he's not elite. The players I consider safe and elite are Barkley, Fitzpatrick, and Nelson.

Umm he broke Mario Williams sack record at NC State.  Makes him pretty legit. 

4 minutes ago, Jaredfor3 said:

Umm he broke Mario Williams sack record at NC State.  Makes him pretty legit. 

I'm referring to his athleticism and skill set. Unless he wows at the combine with Von Miller type athleticism, he could be just another pass rusher that had great stats in college but once he got to the NFL level he couldn't beat pro tackles with just technique and effort ala Bjoern Werner.