Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Track Guy December Mock

Just threw this together quickly:

R1 - Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame - He's discussed as an elite guard prospect, if not generational. You take him as a guy who you expect day 1 to be among the better guards in the league and only improve from there. 
R2 - Hercules Mata’afa, Edge, Washington - A monster at creating problems for opposing offenses behind the line of scrimmage. Not a big edge defender for the NFL, but that works in a 3-4. 
R3 - Jaleel Scott, WR, New Mexico St. - A huge receiver with good hands. He has the potential to be a really good red zone threat, in particular.
R4 - Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona St. - Super athletic, bigger back. He doesn't get as much help from his blocking as some prospects, but he's an asset in the passing game.
R5 - Stacy Thomas, LB, Louisville - A very effective college ILB who has shown skills in coverage as well as against the run.
R6 - Andrew Brown, DL, Virginia - An athletically gifted defensive end who has been recently projected as a day 3 prospect. He's got boom or bust potential.
R7 - Matthew McCrane, K, Kansas St. - A good kicker, and given the age of our guy, we may need one soon.

No Guards in the first ~25 picks...say it with me.  More "experienced" guards in FA that I would trust over a rookie.

Imagine: FA Pugh G then Draft either Barkley, Chubb or Fitzpatrick...Boom Elite RB or D gets younger-better and we are addressing QB health and safety. The second round is where a BPA ILB, Edge or CB... The third BPA...

Ideally, Darnold or Rosen falls to 3rd pick and we can trade out...get at least a 1st Rounder in 2019 and a 2nd 2018 to go along with that teams 2018 1st rounder...

2 Cents...

On December 22, 2017 at 6:32 PM, FalseStart said:

No Guards in the first ~25 picks...say it with me.  More "experienced" guards in FA that I would trust over a rookie.

Imagine: FA Pugh G then Draft either Barkley, Chubb or Fitzpatrick...Boom Elite RB or D gets younger-better and we are addressing QB health and safety. The second round is where a BPA ILB, Edge or CB... The third BPA...

Ideally, Darnold or Rosen falls to 3rd pick and we can trade out...get at least a 1st Rounder in 2019 and a 2nd 2018 to go along with that teams 2018 1st rounder...

2 Cents...

There's like 2 offensive linemen that are decent who are hitting the free agent market this year, in the entire NFL.  Not a good year to build an O-line through free agency, but given our cap room we may be able to snag at least 1 good veteran.

It is a good and somewhat deep guard class, so we might be able to find a day 1 starter in the early day 2 range of the draft. There are some exciting prospects. Aside from Nelson, you have guys like Will Hernandez of UTEP, Braden Smith of Auburn, Wyatt Teller of Virginia Tech, and Tyrell Crosby of Oregon who are possible second round picks (I would guess the first 2 of those guys might have slightly higher stock than the second 2). 

As far as what we do with that first pick if it's not on the O-line... I like Clelin Ferrell, when it comes to defense. Bradley Chubb would be good as well. If we traded back a bit, Roquan Smith is interesting. You'd think he'd be too light for a 3-4 ILB, but he's such a sure tackler that I'd feel okay with him being a bit smaller than traditional.

How about this one for the first 4 picks:

R1P1 - DE Bradley Chubb, can only hope he becomes the next Freeney or Mathis. Looks to have Great potential!

R2P2 -  OG/C Billy Price would play G, pair him up with Kelly who would play C. The O.Line should improve which is critical to keeping Luck healthy and opening holes for the RB's.

R3P3 - RB Bryce Love, I think he will Good if not Great in the NFL. Solid runner/fast! Would be nice to see he and Mack on our Roster filling the RB spots.

R4P4 - CB Levi Wallace, has ran a 4.42 40. Many in Bama say is their MVP. The 6'0 CB is someone we shouldn't overlook if he's there in Round 4.

On December 26, 2017 at 10:18 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How about this one for the first 4 picks:

R1P1 - DE Bradley Chubb, can only hope he becomes the next Freeney or Mathis. Looks to have Great potential!

R2P2 -  OG/C Billy Price would play G, pair him up with Kelly who would play C. The O.Line should improve which is critical to keeping Luck healthy and opening holes for the RB's.

R3P3 - RB Bryce Love, I think he will Good if not Great in the NFL. Solid runner/fast! Would be nice to see he and Mack on our Roster filling the RB spots.

R4P4 - CB Levi Wallace, has ran a 4.42 40. Many in Bama say is their MVP. The 6'0 CB is someone we shouldn't overlook if he's there in Round 4.

I wouldn't be mad. Especially if we addressed ILB and the other guard slot in free agency.