Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 Draft Class Performance

As we are heading into draft talk a bit earlier than usual, and like or dislike players relative to others, I was wondering how the players who were liked or disliked last year performed in their rookie season. Its only one year, but just wondering which players have stood out for the better or worse, absent injury of course. One player, I remember Christian McCaffrey being talked about quite a bit, but haven't heard much about him this year. 

Any players stand out for the good or the bad so far? 

McCaffrey is turning into a nice weapon for the Panthers. He will very likely break 1000 yards from scrimmage(most of them from passes), and already has 7TDs(2 rushing, 5 pass) and this is with him starting slow and their offense taking some time to figure out how to use him. 

I loved Hooker(was no. 3 on my board) and I feel vindicated. He looked like a future(if not current) all-pro.

I liked Solomon Thomas and he's not had a great season. 

i didn't love Watson and he's turned into a future star...

I liked Tre'Davious White and he's turning into a good player...

I loved Garret Bolles, he's been OK, but he has some troubles with bulrushes still...

I liked Charles Harris, he hasn't been great.

I loved Carl Lawson and he's been a beast, we should have taken him instead of Basham.

I didn't like Taco and he has been bad/unplayable.

I loved Lattimore and he's been amazing

I loved Reuben Foster and he's been a beast since he returned from injury.

I had a lot of doubts about TJ Watt, and he's been great...

I didn't love Obi and he's been bad.

I loved Cooper Kupp and he's been the best receiver in the class.

I didn't like Basham and he's been meh...

I loved Kareem Hunt and he's been awesome.

As you can see ... a mixed bag. Still a lot of time for those and others to change opinions, though... If there is a conclusion to be drawn, it is - my evaluations are not much better than a magic 8 ball. 

Last year the players I liked that are exceeding expectations: Lattimore, Foster, Hooker, Watson, Hunt, Watt, Takk, and Ramczyk.

I thought the following was going to be a bit better: Thomas, Barnett (I had high expectations for him), Conley (limited playing so far but could be a good pick), and Allen (shoulder worried me a bit).

I didn't like McCaffery because I questioned his ability to run between the tackles and carry the load.  Although I did say I thought he would make a fine 3rd down back.

Looking at his stats I think my concerns have been vindicated.  

He only averaged 7.4 Rush attempts per game and has had only 3.8 yards per carry on those rush attempts.  

I liked Watson because I felt he was the safest pick at QB.  But he way exceeded my expectations for him when he was playing before he tore his ACL.  I'm sure some defensive coordinators out there will figure him out a bit and bring him back down to earth but before his injury he was playing like an elite quarterback as a rookie.  

I didn't like Jabrill Peppers and I believe he was listed at the 5 worst players at his position but the thing said it wasn't his fault because he was being "used wrong".  Whatever he sucks.  All he knows how to do is hit people hard and people are way way too impressed by that. 

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I didn't like McCaffery because I questioned his ability to run between the tackles and carry the load.  Although I did say I thought he would make a fine 3rd down back.

Looking at his stats I think my concerns have been vindicated.  

He only averaged 7.4 Rush attempts per game and has had only 3.8 yards per carry on those rush attempts.  

I liked Watson because I felt he was the safest pick at QB.  But he way exceeded my expectations for him when he was playing before he tore his ACL.  I'm sure some defensive coordinators out there will figure him out a bit and bring him back down to earth but before his injury he was playing like an elite quarterback as a rookie.  

I didn't like Jabrill Peppers and I believe he was listed at the 5 worst players at his position but the thing said it wasn't his fault because he was being "used wrong".  Whatever he sucks.  All he knows how to do is hit people hard and people are way way too impressed by that. 

In all fairness McCaffery wasn't drafted to run between the tackles. The Panthers already had that covered with Stewart. They drafted him to take the pressure off Cam from running so much. So in reality he was a great draft pick.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

In all fairness McCaffery wasn't drafted to run between the tackles. The Panthers already had that covered with Stewart. They drafted him to take the pressure off Cam from running so much. So in reality he was a great draft pick.

He's basically Reggie Bush. He's a great change of pace back, and has fantastic hands out of the backfield, but he is in no way, shape, or form worth a top 10 draft pick. He plays pretty much the same role as Tarik Cohen (although the Panthers are much more consistent in getting McCaffrey touches), and Cohen went in the fourth round. If my options are McCaffrey with a top 10 pick, or Cohen 111 picks later, I'm taking Cohen every single time.

8 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

He's basically Reggie Bush. He's a great change of pace back, and has fantastic hands out of the backfield, but he is in no way, shape, or form worth a top 10 draft pick. He plays pretty much the same role as Tarik Cohen (although the Panthers are much more consistent in getting McCaffrey touches), and Cohen went in the fourth round. If my options are McCaffrey with a top 10 pick, or Cohen 111 picks later, I'm taking Cohen every single time.

That is your opinion. I highly doubt the Panthers feel that way. He was drafted to do a job and has done it very well for a rookie. The Panthers at the time needed a player like him and got him where they could.

There is no guarantee that any player taken any place is better than anyone else.

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is your opinion. I highly doubt the Panthers feel that way. He was drafted to do a job and has done it very well for a rookie. The Panthers at the time needed a player like him and got him where they could.

There is no guarantee that any player taken any place is better than anyone else.

If they did that then they are stupid.  There are plenty of pass catching RB's out there who could do just as well as McCaffery that could have been had later in the draft.  

McCaffery was quite simply over drafted.  You don't draft one trick ponies in the first round, no matter how good they are at that one trick.  

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

If they did that then they are stupid.  There are plenty of pass catching RB's out there who could do just as well as McCaffery that could have been had later in the draft.  

McCaffery was quite simply over drafted.  You don't draft one trick ponies in the first round, no matter how good they are at that one trick.  

He works in their system. And he is better after the catch than most so you may think they are stupid but like I said, they don't and that is all that matters.

QB Deshaun Watson - I wasn't totally sold on either of the top QB's, but I liked him due to letting the Tide have it, twice.  He was the early "wow factor" this season, before being injured.

QB Mitch Trubisky - I had severe doubts due to his 13 game resume at... North Carolina, of all places.  He's not been a failure with the Bears, showing signs of good leadership and some skill.  A little meh, but better than bad.

RB Leonard Fournette - I thought he was the best RB out of college.  A real beast.  Did great with the Jags, but a little on the injury prone.

RB Dalvin Cook - An early favorite of mine during the pre-draft process, I pulled back a little after the combine.  Played amazingly well for the Vikings before season ending injury in week 4.

RB Alvin Kamara - Fell in love with him during the combine.  Proved to be a great back, sharing time with Mark Ingram in the Saints' backfield.  Named to the Pro Bowl.

RB Wayne Gallman - Like him as a potential mid rounder for the Colts.  Was pretty meh with the Giants.  Colts did better drafting Marlon Mack.

WR John Ross - Loved his speed.  Thought he might be the 2nd coming of Marvin Harrison.  He fell flat on his face with the Bengals, healthy scratch, and finally placed on injured reserve.

OG Dan Feeney - Liked him coming out of Indiana.  Drafted by the Chargers in the 3rd round.  Found his way into the starting lineup after everyone else got hurt.

OG Nico Siragusa - Liked his effort and flexibility across the line.  Drafted by the Ravens in the 4th round.  Tore his knee up huge in preseason, and placed on IR.

DE Derek Barnett - I was iffy on the guy who broke Reggie White's sack record at Tennessee.  Thought he was already as good as he was going to get, and more a product of scheme than overwhelming talent.  Drafted by the Eagles, and is a backup with few stats.

OLB Takkarist McKinley - Was alarmed when he screwed up twice on basic drills at the combine.  Love his off-the-charts desire, but believed he could not be trusted with complex assignments.  Has played relatively well for the Falcons with six sacks so far this season.

OLB Tim Williams - Was equally alarmed when he couldn't run any faster than the brick-footed Barnett at the combine.  Drafted by the Ravens.  Backup.  Low stats.  Glad we didn't take him.

OLB TJ Watt - I thought he was trading more on his brother's name than being that deserving a draft pick.  Boy, was I wrong!  Potential rookie of the year with the Steelers.

ILB Reuben Foster - My choice for the Colts' first pick.  Drafted at the end of the 1st round by the 49ers.  Off and on starter due to other LB injuries (and his own!).  Decent stats for a rookie, but not the wow factor of Watt.

CB Cordrea Tankersley - My choice for the Colts' second pick.  I liked his aggression, especially in comparison to the smooth, almost lazy technique of Quincy Wilson.  (Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Wilson to succeed!)  Drafted in 3rd round by the Dolphins.  Playing relatively well for a rookie, but no threat for rookie of the year.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

No, simply no.