Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chubb at #3 or #4 would be ...

dumb unless Luck is 100% and the top 2 qb’s in the draft are gone. The Colts have been phenomenally lucky being able to draft Elway, Manning and Luck at #1 and it would be incredible if they hit the qb lottery again. But unless Luck is healthy by April they absolutely should take one of those two qb’s, if available. They can always trade that guy for a king’s ransom if/when Luck is recovered.

3 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah we have bigger needs than rb at the 1st round....if o line can get right mack can be our guy

Chubb is a DE, but we do need a RB too. But we simply can’t start another season without a healthy Luck or a possible replacement. We played that game this past Summer.

2 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Chubb is a DE, but we do need a RB too. But we simply can’t start another season without a healthy Luck or a possible replacement. We played that game this past Summer.

Oh I thought you was talking the rb but yeah I expect our 1st round pick to be o lineman

44 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Because drafting a young QB to play to play with this line and defense worked so well in the past.

The Colts were dreadful for years before drafting Manning, so yes it worked very well after Peyton had a year to learn the ropes. As for Luck, he has brought a lot of injuries on himself by his fearlessness. Manning was accused of having happy feet, but he also stayed mostly healthy.

When we let Elway con us into believing he’d be a Yankee rather than play for a dreadful Colts team led by Frank Kush, we got lots of assets from the Broncos for him. How did that work out? Not well, if you are too young to remember. Other than a couple decent years with Harbaugh, we were awful while Elway was leading the Broncos to championships. Somehow all those assets we got back for Elway didn’t help us or hurt them very much. Elite qb’s trump any other position player.

Just now, azcolt said:

The Colts were dreadful for years before drafting Manning, so yes it worked very well after Peyton had a year to learn the ropes. Conversely, when we let Elway con us into believing he’d be a Yankee rather than play for a dreadful Colts team led by Frank Kush — and we got lots of assets from the Broncos for him, how did that work out? (Not well, if you are too young to remember. Other than a couple decent years with Harbaugh, we were awful while Elway was leading the Broncos to championships.) 

No QB in this draft is even close Manning or Luck though.Those are generational players. Rosen and Darnold aren't that great and there aren't really any QB's that should be first rounders beyond that.

29 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Heard Luck may need another surgery on his shoulder. No mystery here of not drafting a blue chip QB.  

What "they" are saying is that he may need surgery on his bicep .. not another shoulder surgery.  Suppose to be 3-6 month recovery period so 2018 not in jeopardy . That's what they say anyway but we heard that he would be OK for 2017....

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

What "they" are saying is that he may need surgery on his bicep .. not another shoulder surgery.  Suppose to be 3-6 month recovery period so 2018 not in jeopardy . That's what they say anyway but we heard that he would be OK for 2017....

Supposedly is the key word. Can the Colts gamble another year if Luck isn’t healthy by the time the draft rolls around? Brissett needs some elite competition. Maybe Rosen and Darnold aren’t as promising as Luck or Manning, but most of the “experts” believe they’ll go at the top of the draft. I’m old enough to remember cussing at the Irsays for trading Elway.The top piece we got back was a much needed elite olineman Chris Hinton plus other guys including forgettable qb Mark Hermann. I thought at the time it was a disaster in spite of Hinton’s talent and obviously I was right. I’d hate to be right again.

9 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Supposedly is the key word. Can the Colts gamble another year if Luck isn’t healthy by the time the draft rolls around? Brissett needs some elite competition. Maybe Rosen and Darnold aren’t as promising as Luck or Manning, but most of the “experts” believe they’ll go at the top of the draft. I’m old enough to remember cussing at the Irsays for trading Elway.The top piece we got back was a much needed elite olineman Chris Hinton plus other guys including forgettable qb Mark Hermann. I thought at the time it was a disaster in spite of Hinton’s talent and obviously I was right. I’d hate to be right again.

Probably they will take that chance and pass on a QB at 1.2 or 1.3. If Luck is done , you'll likely have another disaster in 2018 and draft a QB in 2019. If you draft Denard or Rosen , it's pretty tricky to trade them just before the season starts. It would mean not signing him and taking draft picks in 2019 or 2010 as compensation. Also your trading partners would be narrowed as most teams would have "solved" their QB issues. 

Plus you would probably need to get to pick 2 in order to draft a QB that would have "tremendous trade value." It's not even a given that  Darnold is coming out. I really highly doubt you see the colts take a QB at pick 1.2 or 1.3 unless there is news that Luck could be done playing.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

I'd prefer Brissett next year over any rookie QB in this draft. 2 years of NFL experience, 1 full season as a starter now (16 games) just turned 24 a week ago, so isn't that much older than either top Rookie QB, they both will be 21 before next season......  I'm fairly certain the Colts aren't the only team who would draft Brissett in the top 5 of this draft were he an incoming rookie this year (with the advantage of having seen him as an NFL starter of course).....  so no, we don't need a 1st round QB.

12 minutes ago, HeSoColt said:

...the best pick since Andrew Luck.

Yes the Colts need a pass rusher really bad on defense.  

Honestly if the Colts get a top five pick knowing the top two picks will be QBs most likely they shouldn’t be able to screw it up rather they take Chubb (my choice), Barkley, the DB from Albama, or the olinemen from Texas or Norte Dame.  All fill needs and should be very good players in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes the Colts need a pass rusher really bad on defense.  

Honestly if the Colts get a top five pick knowing the top two picks will be QBs most likely they shouldn’t be able to screw it up rather they take Chubb (my choice), Barkley, the DB from Albama, or the olinemen from Texas or Norte Dame.  All fill needs and should be very good players in the NFL.

Pick Chubb at 3 or 4... trade back a little for Quenton Nelson.

5 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah we have bigger needs than rb at the 1st round....if o line can get right mack can be our guy

:facepalm:

Ok. I have to ask.....  why do you and others think that Mack can be an every down back?    Where has he shown any resemblance of being able to do that?

Do you just like him for his few flash plays and think he can do that every down?  Or even 4-5 times a game? What other back in the league is he like?   

He is not an every down back plain and simple.  He was brought in here as a change of pace back and rightfully so.

2 hours ago, HeSoColt said:

Pick Chubb at 3 or 4... trade back a little for Quenton Nelson.

Yeah I really want Chubb.  I think he’s special and you can’t get pass rushers like him outside of this high of a pick.  It also helps that he can play in a 3/4 or 4/3 so assuming they make a coaching change it wouldn’t matter what type of defense they play next year.

9 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

:facepalm:

Ok. I have to ask.....  why do you and others think that Mack can be an every down back?    Where has he shown any resemblance of being able to do that?

Do you just like him for his few flash plays and think he can do that every down?  Or even 4-5 times a game? What other back in the league is he like?   

He is not an every down back plain and simple.  He was brought in here as a change of pace back and rightfully so.

And who says he can't be? Just because you think like that doesn't mean it's true we all know we have a terrible o line and I don't care how good the rb can be he won't do much with a horrible o line plus you gather all of this from a rookie lol it's not like he been playing for 3 or 4 years let him develop and see what happens

13 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Rather stay in a 3-4 and not pick Chubb at all lol 

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

We'd be better off taking Nick Chubb at pick #3 or #4 in the 2nd.  Unless you want to switch to the 43 defense as the base.

If we change coaches, we may just change schemes too......

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

If we change coaches, we may just change schemes too......

I'll go on record right now:

If we can get Chubb at #3 to play RDE and ALSO get Roquan Smith at #35 to play WILL, I think we should change the scheme.  Those may be two players with which to build a defense around.  And many of the defensive players already on the team would fit into the new scheme.

But I don't think we'll get both players, so I wouldn't want Chubb at #3 as a stand-alone pick.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'll go on record right now:

If we can get Chubb at #3 to play RDE and ALSO get Roquan Smith at #35 to play WILL, I think we should change the scheme.  Those may be two players with which to build a defense around.  And many of the defensive players already on the team would fit into the new scheme.

But I don't think we'll get both players, so I wouldn't want Chubb at #3 as a stand-alone pick.

yeah, i dont know.  chubb looked pretty good standing up too so it's possible to get him and still run the multi-front/hybrid 3-4/4-3 that we run.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

yeah, i dont know.  chubb looked pretty good standing up too so it's possible to get him and still run the multi-front/hybrid 3-4/4-3 that we run.

My concern is that he is young but already big for the position at 275.  Getting older just naturally fills out a young man.  I don't think he could play the position much heavier.  At least not how you'd want a #3 to play it.  I'd rather go with someone like Arden Key who has room to add a little bit of weight.

7 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

And who says he can't be? Just because you think like that doesn't mean it's true we all know we have a terrible o line and I don't care how good the rb can be he won't do much with a horrible o line plus you gather all of this from a rookie lol it's not like he been playing for 3 or 4 years let him develop and see what happens

Gore is over 1000 yards again.   Read his pre draft reviews.  They are accurate compared to what he has been for this team 

I'd love to be wrong.   But pretty sure I'm not 

22 hours ago, ar1888 said:

Chubb is the best player in this draft. Barkley is a close second. Has a chance to be a Von Miller, Khalil Mack. Players like that do no come along every draft.

Chubb likely won't be a Von Miller type, at 6'-4"  275# and running 4.7-4.95 40's, he's closer to a Mario Williams, almost identical measurements to him coming out of college actually....  

22 hours ago, ar1888 said:

Chubb is the best player in this draft. Barkley is a close second. Has a chance to be a Von Miller, Khalil Mack. Players like that do no come along every draft.

I think you have it backwards.  I have not seen anyone rate Chubb over Barkley as BPA.  His position is considered by many to be more valuable though.  But I think overall rating goes to Barkley. 

On 12/18/2017 at 2:14 PM, azcolt said:

The Colts were dreadful for years before drafting Manning, so yes it worked very well after Peyton had a year to learn the ropes. As for Luck, he has brought a lot of injuries on himself by his fearlessness. Manning was accused of having happy feet, but he also stayed mostly healthy.

When we let Elway con us into believing he’d be a Yankee rather than play for a dreadful Colts team led by Frank Kush, we got lots of assets from the Broncos for him. How did that work out? Not well, if you are too young to remember. Other than a couple decent years with Harbaugh, we were awful while Elway was leading the Broncos to championships. Somehow all those assets we got back for Elway didn’t help us or hurt them very much. Elite qb’s trump any other position player.

Luck brought the lacerated kidney on himself.  Not sure what other injuries you think he wee his fault.

Every QB who has taken snaps for the colts the last few years has taking a beating. You don't run a vertical offense when you don't have the ability to protect the QB.