Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Marlon Mack our bell cow of the future?

Or is he going to be a complientary back? I'm a huge Mack fan and can not for the life of me understand why we don't run more stretch plays and counters with him. My guess is we do not retain Gore this coming year so do we target a higher profile back in the draft? I think Barkley is a beast but I can't see us spending that early of a pick on him. A back that's been my favorite for awhile is Nick Chubb. I think with his prior Knee injury it could push him into the second. There are tons of other great backs in this class but should we target another?

12 minutes ago, twfish said:

Or is he going to be a complientary back? I'm a huge Mack fan and can not for the life of me understand why we don't run more stretch plays and counters with him. My guess is we do not retain Gore this coming year so do we target a higher profile back in the draft? I think Barkley is a beast but I can't see us spending that early of a pick on him. A back that's been my favorite for awhile is Nick Chubb. I think with his prior Knee injury it could push him into the second. There are tons of other great backs in this class but should we target another?

Mack is a good backup but Barkley I believe is even better and stronger than Zeke.

3 hours ago, twfish said:

So far I have seen no one calling Mack our bell cow. Those who have the knowledge understands his roll and he is not considered a lead back. If he can learn to block he could be our next Addai. If he can't learn to block we will see less of him with another lead runner getting more reps.

I don't think he's shown enough between the tackles running for us to be counting him as a future bell cow. I think we still need a 3 downs back. Versatility of your players is of huge importance for several reasons - one being you don't pay multiple players to do the same job and secon - yes, you can use different backs in different situations and let them share the responsibility, but it tips your hand.(this has been one of the biggest problems for this team's playcalling both on D and on O). For example when Mack gets in the game I bet the opponents don't think, damn, he's going to run between the tackles. They pretty much know it's a run to the outside and if they stop it, they are good. This is why having players that can do different things is important - you leave all your options open, your QB can audible different protections and not worry that his back is not good enough at picking up blitzes. Your linebacker can either drop in coverage or blitz or spy on the QB or... anything you need him to do, etc. 

I don't see a lead back.      Never have.

But I do see a weapon when used properly.     He's got more than just speed.     He's got the ability to make defenders miss,  he's scary in space,  he's got some wiggle and burst and suddeness.    But once his game is more fully developed,  then he'll be able to be a much bigger and better asset for the Colts.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't see a lead back.      Never have.

But I do see a weapon when used properly.     He's got more than just speed.     He's got the ability to make defenders miss,  he's scary in space,  he's got some wiggle and burst and suddeness.    But once his game is more fully developed,  then he'll be able to be a much bigger and better asset for the Colts.

Yeah, IMO a back like Mack is best utilized in a combination with someone like Nick Chubb. I love Chubb... I'd love to have him on the Colts. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, IMO a back like Mack is best utilized in a combination with someone like Nick Chubb. I love Chubb... I'd love to have him on the Colts. 

He's very much on my radar too.

I love a big tough pounding RB that defenses just hate to face....

I hope we pick one in the upcoming draft...     There are a number of them,  and Chubb is one of them.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Mack but I am not sure he is a 3 down back.

I haven't seen anything to make me think he is a 3 down back. My point was if we take Barkley I don't think we see Mack. Barkley is a 3 down back and I'd be disappointed if we drafted him then had him split carries. I think we take a guy like Royce Freeman the middle of the draft. I could see Mack getting 3rd down work in that scenario. 

2 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I haven't seen anything to make me think he is a 3 down back. My point was if we take Barkley I don't think we see Mack. Barkley is a 3 down back and I'd be disappointed if we drafted him then had him split carries. I think we take a guy like Royce Freeman the middle of the draft. I could see Mack getting 3rd down work in that scenario. 

I actually hope we take Nelson and in the 2nd Round Draft a Pass Rusher, then maybe in the 3rd nab another RB. We can get good one in the 3rd IMO.

Not saying Mack will be the man or someone else......which begs the question is Turbin still under contract for next season?  If he is how would that factor in, the thinking at all about the priority of a RB be it Mack or someone else or a combo there of....) Does it make you lean more Barkley or Chubb as a draft prospect if he is......(PS I am not a fan of drafting a RB in the first, I wont hate it, but I just hope there are better choices defensive playmaker wise with that first round pick)

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Mack but I am not sure he is a 3 down back.

I think it also matters what scheme Mack is utilized in and the types of runs that are scripted for him.  I think he'd flourish under the same scheme they utilized with Jamaal Charles in KC.   He still needs to develop the other aspects of his game such as blocking and making better reads on the inside runs though.  I also think he needs to get  in the weight room and get stronger.

I think Mack could be our main back..our line is atrocious and we force him up the middle. Can’t talk about his size when there are starters around the league the same size or around it. He’s a east west runner with that 1 cut ability to take it deep north..remember Shady In Philly wasn’t much of a between the tackles back when he was there until he went to buffalo and they’ve had a good line built to run between the tackles..maybe he’s the zone stretch/ counter kind of back that doesn’t mean he’s not a bell cow it means we just don’t use him properly 

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

Thanks for the insightful post. But which part exactly are you saying no too?

the title

i dont think mack is a bell cow.  maybe he will get better at running between the tackles and that will change.  i think its more likely he keeps the role he has and we bring in somebody else to replace gore, or possibly gore comes back another year

On 12/18/2017 at 11:32 AM, akcolt said:

I don't think you see much of Mack if you have Barkley on the roster. Would you want Mack taking carries or receptions away from Barkley? 

You would do what the Saints are doing. Ingram is having a career year but Kamara is explosive. So you give them a dose of both. Granted that Barkley is probably going to be a more polished receiver, a better runner in between the tackles, and faster, but Mack has his value. Plus Barkley can’t take every snap.

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

If M. Shanahan gets picked as the HC, he'll make the running back tandems of Barkley and Mack attack work to perfection.  Mack should have started or had more touches if we had the right OC.

If Shannahan is brought in the chances of the colts drafting Barkley go from highly unlikely to zero.

Just for kicks....     I went through the thread to see if ANYONE thinks Mack is the Bell Cow?

My rough calculations are we have 29 "no" and one "too soon to know"...

But no one said yes.    Good.   We appear to all see roughly the same thing...    Mack is good as a complimentary back, but we'd love another back, preferably a pounder...

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just for kicks....     I went through the thread to see if ANYONE thinks Mack is the Bell Cow?

My rough calculations are we have 29 "no" and one "too soon to know"...

But no one said yes.    Good.   We appear to all see roughly the same thing...    Mack is good as a complimentary back, but we'd love another back, preferably a pounder...

It's still hard for me to say yes or no without seeing him get 20+ carries. One game where he did get some significant snaps he had a good game. I would like to see him get more pitches and tosses instead of handed up the gut.

Royce Freeman or Nick Chubb would be my targets in the draft to pair along with Mack. This is how I feel as of today. Another guy I personally like quite a bit is Bo Scarborough. I think he's tough, has good vision, and when he sees a hole he hits it hard. If we are using a committee system which I'm sure we will then id set it up exactly how the Giants used to have it with Ahmad Bradshaw, Derrick Ward, and Brandon Jacobs. Scarborough of course reminds me of Jacobs.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Royce Freeman or Nick Chubb would be my targets in the draft to pair along with Mack. This is how I feel as of today. Another guy I personally like quite a bit is Bo Scarborough. I think he's tough, has good vision, and when he sees a hole he hits it hard. If we are using a committee system which I'm sure we will then id set it up exactly how the Giants used to have it with Ahmad Bradshaw, Derrick Ward, and Brandon Jacobs. Scarborough of course reminds me of Jacobs.

If we don't take Barkley at #3 Round 1, I am on the Bryce Love bandwagon in maybe Round 3 if he's there. Love is a workhorse and has pretty good break away speed.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we don't take Barkley at #3 Round 1, I am on the Bryce Love bandwagon in maybe Round 3 if he's there. Love is a workhorse and has pretty good break away speed.

My thing with Love is I think he has similar traits to Mack. To me it would be like drafting the same style of back. I do need to study Love some more I will admit. Hes probably a better inside runner maybe. The guys I listed I think have more size and ability to grind and or take multiple carries. Guys who can stand in there and pass protect etc. Guys with a little more lead in there pants.