Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL DRAFT CHART

already thought about it

if the jets want to offer their first, second and third for our pick i would take it 

8th or 9th is the furthest i would want to move back unless we are getting a lot of picks in return.  probably would need a future first to go back any more 

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

already thought about it

if the jets want to offer their first, second and third for our pick i would take it 

8th or 9th is the furthest i would want to move back unless we are getting a lot of picks in return.  probably would need a future first to go back any more 

As of today , the Jets pick 10th. If we stay at 3 , the chart says their 1st , 2nd and 3rd would be well in line. Denver as of now sits at 8 , but they do have a developmental pick already on the roster. I guess there is also a chance that we lose to Houston while the Giants win another game. We would pick 2nd and could maybe squeeze a 3rd and a 5th out of the Giants ?

15 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Only trade back if you have one or two difference makers targeted and you're confident they will still be there. The Colts need DIFFERENCE MAKERS. They are virtually guaranteed one if they keep their pick. 

I believe I recall Ballard saying he generally believes in more/multiple picks.  Having more picks increases your odds of hitting on a player, and there are no guarantees, even in the top 10.  Mingo was the #6 player in the draft, Trent Richardson, #3.  Also, if you have the #2 or #3 pick and that player goes down like Hooker did, where are you?  

For various reasons, I would lean toward trading down.

By the way,  this chart changes slightly before the draft when the NFL announces the 32 compensatory picks.

Those are spread out over rounds 3-7.     And the values there change a little bit.  

And these picks can be traded.    Didn't used to be that way,  but that change started in 17.

If we get the #2 pick then the value will go up for that pick. The 2600 value is the baseline and will go up depending on demand and who is available. The Giants will take a QB at 3 so the jets(8), bengals(9), and broncos(10) are going to want a trade with us so they get second choice at QB, and they will all be bidding for that pick. Based off the chart and the extra demand we might be able to get a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and a 2019 1st as well while still staying in the top 10

Colts give #3 overall pick (2200)

Denver gives #9 overall pick (1350), + #41 overall pick (490) + 2019 2nd rounder seems fair.

But basically if we can trade down to the bottom of the top 10, pick up 2 - 2nd round picks and then at the bottom of the top 10 grab an OL. 

The biggest problem here is that if the Browns and the Giants both grab quarterbacks then you might not see a lot of teams wanting to trade up to #3.  And even if the Giants don't want a QB and decide to stick with Eli they will also likely want to trade down to a team who wants to grab a QB.

Now we could trade down to a team who's in love with a player like Chubb or Barkely.  

I don't see any trade down scenario that doesn't involve a 2019 first in some form unless we are just trading back a spot or two....and even then I think multiple 2nd round picks would be the minimum. Going from 3 to 10 I think you have to get a future first along with a 2nd from this year....if not I'm sticking with my guy.

While you should always keep in mind the draft trade value chart, trades happen all the time near the top of the draft that aren't exactly even. When teams are really liking a prospect, usually a QB, they'll trade more to go up and get that guy. Just look what the Bears did last year to simply move up 1 spot to get Trubisky. 

I think if Indy ends up with the 3rd or hopefully 2nd overall pick, Ballard could play the "I'm going to draft this QB unless you really want him" scenario with another QB desperate team. And the other team would have to believe him since there are still some questions regarding Andrew Luck.  

22 hours ago, Hoose said:

Only trade back if you have one or two difference makers targeted and you're confident they will still be there. The Colts need DIFFERENCE MAKERS. They are virtually guaranteed one if they keep their pick. 

We can use a difference maker in a bunch of positions, so trading down 10 spots or even twice is an option, IMO.  Hooker is supposedly a difference maker and he was there at 15 last year.

23 hours ago, #12. said:

I believe I recall Ballard saying he generally believes in more/multiple picks.  Having more picks increases your odds of hitting on a player, and there are no guarantees, even in the top 10.  Mingo was the #6 player in the draft, Trent Richardson, #3.  Also, if you have the #2 or #3 pick and that player goes down like Hooker did, where are you?  

For various reasons, I would lean toward trading down.

Well. Cowboys did it in 1990 and won 3 super bowls with it. 

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We can use a difference maker in a bunch of positions, so trading down 10 spots or even twice is an option, IMO.  Hooker is supposedly a difference maker and he was there at 15 last year.

Very true unless there is a QB like Luck there you have to listen.   

If for for some reason Luck is not available I would not be against Alex Smith especially if Nagy is the hire 

12 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

That chart goes out the window if the team that wants to trade up is trying to get a Qb or if there are multiple teams trying to trade up to the Colts spot.

Not actually....  it can be used in the bidding war to see who is offering the most.  

I would like to have an impact player, I believe picking high is were most can be found if you pick wisely. You have to have a plan on who you want and if you can trade down and get him then so be it and receive additional picks. Also you have to look at the draft is it a deep draft and if so at what positions? A reminder 1st year picks regardless of were the are drafted typically STRUGGLE their first year.

Fix what is broken. Pass rush; O-line; ILB.  BPA for each of these positions until selected. Then look at the RB. There will be a very good one early in the 4th round. 

Start with Chubb, though, if he's available. You are NOT likely to find another pass rusher with his skills in a later round.