Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Rotoworld...expect house cleaning at end of season

PeterBowman

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I haven't read the entire thread , you may have done so. 

Anyway , I've heard here and there that Matt Nagy is the "gem" of that coaching staff. He's 39 and was recently promoted to OC. Someone quoted Andy Reid saying he's the best HC prospect he's ever had working for him. 

Has he been mentioned in this thread ?

Yes.    

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I haven't read the entire thread , you may have done so. 

Anyway , I've heard here and there that Matt Nagy is the "gem" of that coaching staff. He's 39 and was recently promoted to OC. Someone quoted Andy Reid saying he's the best HC prospect he's ever had working for him. 

Has he been mentioned in this thread ?

I have to believe that Nagy is a serious candidate.      I would assume both he and a Toub would be early favorites.

But I'm more curious now as to who the other candidates might be?    Those may be some very interesting names.... 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have to believe that Nagy is a serious candidate.      I would assume both he and a Toub would be early favorites.

But I'm more curious now as to who the other candidates might be?    Those may be some very interesting names.... 

Hard for me to get excited over Toub , so I guess I'm with you on this one.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd add in Josh.  And Frank Reich 

apparently Ballard has been grilling Jacoby about josh according to collinsworth on the Thursday game 

28 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

how would he know?  not saying you are wrong, but i missed that

The night before a game, the national TV announcers meet with a number of top players and coaches to get deep background on the game.    Some of that info can be used on air,  some can't.   But it gives the announcers a better understanding of the two teams.

I think when Brissett meets with CC and the rest of the broadcast crew that would be when JB would have shared the info about McDaniels...

16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

People forget that Bill Belichick started out as head coach with the Cleveland Browns.

He was 36-44 there.

His second time around as a HC, a little older, a little wiser, has worked out pretty good I'd say.

Same thing for Pete Carroll.  He was the head coach of the Jets and the Patriots.  Wasn't successful.

We obviously know how that one turned out as well.

NOTE: I'm not asserting that Josh McDaniels is the next Belichick or Carroll.   The point is that many young coaches struggle with their first NFL head coaching job.

McDaniels is undoubtedly more prepared and more experienced than he was in Denver.

I agree with this post.  I also would note that it was the player evaluation culture instilled by Belichick that led to the Ravens winning a Super Bowl. He hired Ozzie Newsome, and he made the trade with San Francisco that gave the Ravens a batch of high picks. One of which was used to draft Ray Lewis.

Belichick had things figured out in Cleveland. That's where he really developed his coaching method. Too bad for Cleveland that they had a stupid owner who did not recognize this. Belichick could have made the Browns the dynasty that the Pats have become.  Imagine if Belichick had remained HC in Cleveland and Art Modell had not moved the franchise to Baltimore.

16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

People forget that Bill Belichick started out as head coach with the Cleveland Browns.

He was 36-44 there.

His second time around as a HC, a little older, a little wiser, has worked out pretty good I'd say.

Same thing for Pete Carroll.  He was the head coach of the Jets and the Patriots.  Wasn't successful.

We obviously know how that one turned out as well.

NOTE: I'm not asserting that Josh McDaniels is the next Belichick or Carroll.   The point is that many young coaches struggle with their first NFL head coaching job.

McDaniels is undoubtedly more prepared and more experienced than he was in Denver.

So then Pagano could go somewhere else and be the next Parcells...

Wooooooow. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The night before s game, the national TV announcers meet with a number of top players and coaches to get deep background on the game.    Some of that info can be used on air,  some can't.   But it gives the announcers a better understanding of the two teams.

I think when Brissett meets with CC and the rest of the broadcast crew that would be when JB would have shared the info about McDaniels...

Yes correct.  That is what collinsworth said 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

well 2 of those 3 links use the same tween from Jason La Canfora as their source, and I have a feeling the 3rd used that as well.  I only recall one report that said that Ballard wanted to fire Pagano and bring in Toub and that was the tween from La Canfora.  I think all of the other "rumors" and "reports" just piggy-backed off La Canfora.  so I believe it was one rumor that sparked several others. 

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Ballard is intrigued by Toub and wants to bring him in for an interview, but I do not for one second believe that Toub was ever Ballard's definite choice as a replacement.

1 hour ago, GoColtsWin said:

It’s fairly self explanatory. The point must have been lost on you in your keyboard rage. 

55 minutes ago, GoColtsWin said:

It was in response to the person you quoted. Your the one getting things twisted. 

My comment was said to a poster who had nothing but insult in mind.

You then jumped in and told me not to judge. You are the one who completely overlooked the insult to Irsay. Then you proceed with this nonsense.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

My comment was said to a poster who had nothing but insult in mind.

You then jumped in and told me not to judge. You are the one who completely overlooked the insult to Irsay. Then you proceed with this nonsense.

No...GoColtsWin quoted you and replied:

"QFT. Don’t judge someone because they sin differently than you. It took this being said to me once. Then I woke up to the fact we all have our personal crosses to bear. Glass houses and all. JMO"

QFT means "Quoted for truth".  He was agreeing with you that the other poster's comment about Irsay was out of line.  You completely overlooked GoColtsWin's message and then jumped down his throat.   You really need to calm the hell down and save the rants for those who've earned it. :P

55 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

I'd add in Josh.  And Frank Reich 

apparently Ballard has been grilling Jacoby about josh according to collinsworth on the Thursday game 

that report about Ballard grilling Brisset about McDaniels came out a while back.  Not long after Brissett was acquired

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The night before a game, the national TV announcers meet with a number of top players and coaches to get deep background on the game.    Some of that info can be used on air,  some can't.   But it gives the announcers a better understanding of the two teams.

So that's why Romo is always calling out plays? :sarcasm:

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

So then Pagano could go somewhere else and be the next Parcells...

Wooooooow. 

Did you miss this part, in bold, at the bottom of my post?

On 12/17/2017 at 12:55 PM, TheEdgeis1 said:

Please God no to Josh Mcdaniels.  I just wasn't a fan what he did in denver, i think he's one of those guys thats just a better co-ordinator than a head coach.

Ugh...he didn't even last 2 seasons in Denver.  After reading the article below I wonder why some would want him anywhere near the Colts.  Is it because he coached under Belichick?  That in itself isn't enough for me.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5892528

10 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Yep, definitely should not hire Toub just based on your friend's belief and all the "1000's" he talks to everyday.

Dear God...

I didn't say that but was just giving the Forum perspective on how 100's-1000's people feel about the franchise in general. That is a pretty big sample size of people.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't say that but was just giving the Forum perspective on how 100's-1000's people feel about the franchise in general. That is a pretty big sample size of people.

Some don't have anything to do but find fault in others opinions and thoughts.

2 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Ugh...he didn't even last 2 seasons in Denver.  After reading the article below I wonder why some would want him anywhere near the Colts.  Is it because he coached under Belichick?  That in itself isn't enough for me.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5892528

There's lot more than just that.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/josh-mcdaniels-feud-history-jay-cutler-brandon-marshall-todd-haley/

http://www.joshmcdanielssucks.com/timeline/

1 hour ago, Finball said:

After reading those articles a GM would have to really think long and hard about this guy.   I don't think I would take the chance. 

I think Josh McDaniels got a lesson on life and coaching in Denver. You read about how he dealt with the debacle in Denver, and you have to feel he'll be dramatically better in his next coaching job. He got the arrogance slapped out of him; he learned humility. Maybe he'll be great in the future as a head coach; maybe not. But if you read the history, you'll realize he's a different man today. And, I suspect, far more ready for a head coaching position. For my money, I'd be more than fine with him as the Colts' next HC. 

11 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I think Josh McDaniels got a lesson on life and coaching in Denver. You read about how he dealt with the debacle in Denver, and you have to feel he'll be dramatically better in his next coaching job. He got the arrogance slapped out of him; he learned humility. Maybe he'll be great in the future as a head coach; maybe not. But if you read the history, you'll realize he's a different man today. And, I suspect, far more ready for a head coaching position. For my money, I'd be more than fine with him as the Colts' next HC. 

I agree Hoose.  The guy personally reached out to Tony Dungy to get advice on interacting with players and staff.  Sounds like a guy who admitted his flaws and reached out to a great man & leader for advice...  The first step in making a change is recognizing the need to make a change...  He’s now 7 years removed from the Denver fiasco & has what 2 more Super Bowls on his resume???  I think he’s earned a 2nd chance.

1 hour ago, Finball said:

Cutler & Marshall we’re both team cancers that were never gonna win big.  Sure McDaniels made a lot of mistakes in Denver.  Getting rid of those two were actually great moves.

6 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Cutler & Marshall we’re both team cancers that were never gonna win big.  Sure McDaniels made a lot of mistakes in Denver.  Getting rid of those two were actually great moves.

i was about to post the same, then saw that you already did

i wouldnt worry too much about him getting rid of those guys.  marshall got in locker room fights with his own team mates, and cutler has been publicly blasted tons of times 

10 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Then, McDaniel wouldn't fit this cathegory. He's had prior head coaching experience with the Broncos. He just might be what the Doctor ordered a cure for the hapless Colts.

You're not understanding what I'm saying.  I am saying McDaniels struggled as a first-time NFL head coach.  Just like Belichick did.  And Carroll.  But maybe, like Belichick and Carroll, he would perform better with his second opportunity?

10 hours ago, John Waylon said:

:facepalm:

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Chuck was NEVER a head coach before taking the Colts job and was only a DC for ONE YEAR.  I don't think he is even going to get a second chance.  Your little Parcells quip made so little sense I didn't even acknowledge it.

Josh McDaniels has already been offered a second chance at being a HC.  He's turned those offers down.

Belichick came up as a DC after coaching with Parcells.  I think McDaniels has proven himself as an outstanding and innovative OC for years under Belichick.

So, what are you not understanding here?

As a first-time NFL head coach, Belichick was 36-44 with Cleveland (1 winning season w/ playoff appearance).  But, he was an outstanding coordinator, and a long-tenured one at that, so he got another chance.

Next stop?  New England.  212-74.

As a first-time NFL head coach, Pete Carroll was 6-10 with the Jets.

Then, he got another shot with New England in '97.  Improved to 27-21 but still got the boot despite 2 playoff appearances.

Next stop?  Seattle. 78-45.  Super Bowl champion.

McDaniels' first tenure as HC: 11-17 with one season of 8-8.

Will he get a second chance?  Who knows?  As I said above, he has been offered and he has turned down several HC jobs already.

You won't have to worry about your ludicrous sarcastic Pagano/Parcells comment because Chuck is done in this league.  A one-year DC and a failed HC.

If McDaniels does take another HC job, will he improve?  Who knows?  It's not uncommon, and it's not unthinkable for someone like McDaniels, who has been a great coordinator for years.  He has been around a great football mind like Belichick.

Just like Belichick learned from Parcells.

21 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I'm not saying I don't believe it, but claiming we're going to clean house with players... We've already done that. Ballard has turned over more than 50% of the roster since he's been here. The ones that he has kept are ones that we can't get rid of because we don't have any better options. 

Which has been one of my main concerns with Ballard thus far. He's already mulliganed a lot of his own acquisitions. And now he's going to clean house again after a 50% roster turnover? 

It's not a good look. 

Is this Ryan Grigson posting?  Because it seems he was obsessed with keeping unproductive players he signed or traded for because of how it would "look" if he got rid of them (thus proving him wrong). 

Ballard just cares about production, competition, and winning, and is not afraid to cut bait and improve where necessary.  I think that is one of his best attributes.  The Pats do the same on a regular basis (with pretty good players getting the boot).  Because they think they can improve.

Who cares about how things look?  Why spend money re-signing free agents that are awful, when you are: top 5 in cap space, rebuilding a 3-win team, and have a bundle of early draft picks?

This isn't about looks - it's about winning in the NFL.  It's about competition.  Players should NOT be comfortable.  If you aren't competing at the level needed and you don't cost much, then bye.

And quite frankly, the Colts can afford additional roster turnover because a bunch of the guys that are playing/played this year need to walk if this team is going to get better.

Mewhort?  Always injured, play regressed and had to be moved to RG because of his inability to work in space.  Needs to be replaced.

And yeah, let's just re-sign Bostic at ILB for "looks" so the Colts' ILBs remain dreadfully slow with zero athleticism and no ability to play in space.  Actually, no, he's not worth it.  Better players can be found.

Same thing with Butler.  Thanks for the memories Darius but Hairston is the Nickel now, and Hooker, Geathers, Farley, and whoever else can be found in FA or the draft are the future.

Aiken?  Bye. 

I can go on and on with the cheap band-aid players that can totally be jettisoned after this abysmal year.

Some are worth keeping.  Simon.  Mingo.  Melvin.  But they have earned the right to stay through their play.

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Is this Ryan Grigson posting?  Because it seems he was obsessed with keeping unproductive players he signed or traded for because of how it would "look" if he got rid of them (thus proving him wrong). 

Ballard just cares about production, competition, and winning, and is not afraid to cut bait and improve where necessary.  I think that is one of his best attributes.  The Pats do the same on a regular basis (with pretty good players getting the boot).  Because they think they can improve.

All GMs will hang on to a poor first round choice a bit longer than they should.  They wait and hope their big investment pays off. Grigson eventually cut TR and Werner. 

He cut Justice, Cherilous, McGlynn, Satele, and drafted replacements before cutting them.  Then he also cut Holmes. He cut Landry.  He cut RJF.  He didn't resign Toler or Fleener.  He constantly churned the roster, indicating he readily cut players he previously signed.   He restructured Jones, Cole, and I think AJ, or cut him.

Also, the new GM typically jettison's the old GMs players before he jettison's his own. That doesn't mean his players are better, it just means that he thinks they are better. 

Ballard has been here one season and there is no indication he is willing to cut any of the players he brought on if they don't perform.  His draft is looking a bit shaky at the moment.

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

You're not understanding what I'm saying.  I am saying McDaniels struggled as a first-time NFL head coach.  Just like Belichick did.  And Carroll.  But maybe, like Belichick and Carroll, he would perform better with his second opportunity?

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Chuck was NEVER a head coach before taking the Colts job and was only a DC for ONE YEAR.  I don't think he is even going to get a second chance.  Your little Parcells quip made so little sense I didn't even acknowledge it.

Josh McDaniels has already been offered a second chance at being a HC.  He's turned those offers down.

Belichick came up as a DC after coaching with Parcells.  I think McDaniels has proven himself as an outstanding and innovative OC for years under Belichick.

So, what are you not understanding here?

As a first-time NFL head coach, Belichick was 36-44 with Cleveland (1 winning season w/ playoff appearance).  But, he was an outstanding coordinator, and a long-tenured one at that, so he got another chance.

Next stop?  New England.  212-74.

As a first-time NFL head coach, Pete Carroll was 6-10 with the Jets.

Then, he got another shot with New England in '97.  Improved to 27-21 but still got the boot despite 2 playoff appearances.

Next stop?  Seattle. 78-45.  Super Bowl champion.

McDaniels' first tenure as HC: 11-17 with one season of 8-8.

Will he get a second chance?  Who knows?  As I said above, he has been offered and he has turned down several HC jobs already.

You won't have to worry about your ludicrous sarcastic Pagano/Parcells comment because Chuck is done in this league.  A one-year DC and a failed HC.

If McDaniels does take another HC job, will he improve?  Who knows?  It's not uncommon, and it's not unthinkable for someone like McDaniels, who has been a great coordinator for years.  He has been around a great football mind like Belichick.

Just like Belichick learned from Parcells.

TL;DR, and quite frankly don't care.

The fact that my original comment was sarcasm has remained lost on you, and only you. So lost, in fact, that I'm not sure even being this forward is going to finally clue you in. 

So congratulations. You wasted several valuable minutes of your life arguing a point that was so very obviously sarcasm everyone picked up on it. 

Except that one guy. 

You know, you. 

22 hours ago, J@son said:

, but I do not for one second believe that Toub was ever Ballard's definite choice as a replacement.

i never went that far.  i said ballard said he likes toub on the first page of this thread.  that is second hand information too, but i do find it believable. 

those reports also said toub has already interviewed for head coaching jobs, so i do think the interest is real, but interest does not mean by any means guarantee that he is our next coach.

even if ballard does want him, it still has to clear with irsay, who i think will be a tough sell

On 12/17/2017 at 1:54 PM, colt82 said:

I don’t see Irsay going for Toub. Not enough of a big name. 

I cant see him being Irsay's first choice. This fan base has lost interest and Irsay will want a big name hire, maybe even 2, a certain ex colt qb in the front office is what i am thinking. Anything to try and win back the interest of the fan base. A first time head coach hire is probably not the road Irsay wants to go down again.  Now what Irsay wants and what Irsay is able to get done are 2 different things. He wanted Manning and Gruden last year and didn't get it done. 

On 12/18/2017 at 9:44 AM, aaron11 said:

Those are not really three sources though, they are just three articles that reference the same source.

Additionally, two of those are from last year before Ballard was even hired.  I'm sure some of the decision is going to be based on available coaches.

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Those are not really three sources though, they are just three articles that reference the same source.

Additionally, two of those are from last year before Ballard was even hired.  I'm sure some of the decision is going to be based on available coaches.

it just says that he liked toub, and that he has interviewed for jobs already

this was before he came here, and ballarad cant really confirm or deny it while chuck is still around.

personally i dont think irsay would go for him anyway, and they will have to find somebody else 

15 hours ago, John Waylon said:

TL;DR, and quite frankly don't care.

The fact that my original comment was sarcasm has remained lost on you, and only you. So lost, in fact, that I'm not sure even being this forward is going to finally clue you in. 

So congratulations. You wasted several valuable minutes of your life arguing a point that was so very obviously sarcasm everyone picked up on it. 

Except that one guy. 

You know, you. 

You mean TL;C(an't)R?

No, it wasn't sarcasm.  At least not in the way you meant it.  But that's how you're trying to play it now to save face.

You were trying to take a swipe at me, discrediting the idea that McDaniels could be successful a 2nd time by suggesting Chuck could become the next Parcells.

If McDaniels had ended up as a guy out of the league with no other legacy than that of a failed, one-time head coach/one-year coordinator, then your "sarcastic" quip that Pagano may become the next Parcells would've worked.

But, the fact is, McDaniels was a great coordinator for years (and still is), and has worked with one of the greatest NFL coaches ever, Belichick.  Pagano was a DB coach and then a DC for one year.  

Unfortunately, all these realities have remained lost on you, and only you.  So lost, in fact, that I'm not sure even being this forward is going to finally clue you in.

Merry Christmas.