Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Per Rotoworld...expect house cleaning at end of season

PeterBowman

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe said to expect a "housecleaning" in Indianapolis this offseason.

That includes both the coaching staff and 53-man roster. With Indianapolis set to miss the playoffs for a third consecutive year, Chuck Pagano is likely nearing the end of his Colts tenure. Per Volin, GM Chris Ballard wants to give Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub a head-coaching opportunity, though owner Jim Irsay may be looking for a "sexier" hire. Ballard has also been grilling Jacoby Brissett on Josh McDaniels, who served as Brissett's OC during his time in New England. Either way, it's a near certainty that Pagano will be handed his walking papers on Black Monday.

Source: Boston Globe
Dec 17 - 9:28 AM

20 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

everyone expects this

i would be interested in mcdaniels, but he may not want to come here.  hes young and may not be in any hurry to take a risky job like this

Assuming Luck comes back fine (which he will IMO) I would be surprised if McDaniels wouldn't want to come here, having a chance to work with Luck.

3 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Assuming Luck comes back fine (which he will IMO) I would be surprised if McDaniels wouldn't want to come here, having a chance to work with Luck.

i would be going after him, hes the guy im most interested in though i dont follow coaching circles all that much 

i say its risky because even if luck comes back in perfect health we have a lot of building to do.  he might be waiting for the job in NE, and he is only in his early 40s.  

This is why reporters (journalist) get a bad name. 

Hardly any journalist do their own homework anymore. They just regurgitate what others are already saying.

Most NFL journalists are no more a journalist than the people posting on an NFL message board. 

18 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Volin is late to the party. He could have written this article weeks ago if He paid attention.

he could have made it a year ago.  ballard himself said he likes toub, while irsay has said he likes big names with experience.  polian says the same

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he could have made it a year ago.  ballard himself said he likes toub, while irsay has said he likes big names with experience.  polian says the same

The rumors are he like Toub, but I am not sure where that came from....  He would never talk about a potential new HC while he has a HC and especially when they have not announced anything about Pags being fired.  

18 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

The rumors are he like Toub, but I am not sure where that came from....  He would never talk about a potential new HC while he has a HC and especially when they have not announced anything about Pags being fired.  

he didnt mention toub to the public, because chuck was still the coach.  it was "reported" that ballard liked him, even though he cant say it in person while we still have coach 

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

This is why reporters (journalist) get a bad name. 

Hardly any journalist do their own homework anymore. They just regurgitate what others are already saying.

Most NFL journalists are no more a journalist than the people posting on an NFL message board. 

Dear God...

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Jim needs to let Ballard do his job and stop meddling in his pick for a coaching successor.

We all have seen his decision making ability of late.

What? As of late? Really?

i'd say irsay's decision making is better than your decision to post this.  Jim has been quiet for QUITE a while.

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

What? As of late? Really?

i'd say irsay's decision making is better than your decision to post this.  Jim has been quiet for QUITE a while.

Really?? Are we talking about the same Jim Irsay who as resently hired a Mr. Grigson then gave him and Chuck both a contract extension? Or the one that was making comments complaining about Andrews recovery in the media? We could go on and on. I trust Ballard’s decision a lot more if he isn’t influenced by Jim.

I stand by what i said.  The contract extension was "lately"?  Really?

and i have no problem with what Jim said to Dungy.  Dungy is the one with the big mouth in that scenario.  And Jim has done great staying off social media.  

Its Jim's team, you know, the guy who owns it.  If someone told me to stay out of my company's business, i'd fire them or tell them to "shop" (fans) somewhere else.

who are WE to tell Jim how to run the Colts?

ridiculous to even consider.

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

pffft with this season and the way the past years went. Irsay has lost his head coach picking rights lol of course tho regardless hell trying choosing his own preferences 

10 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Irsay did hire a man who appears to be light years better than the previous GM. He needs to let Ballard do his job, and I suspect he will. 

At this point I'd be shocked if it wasn't Toub. He's gotten several interviews in the past and he was together with Ballard in Chicago and KC. If that is who Ballard wants I would be comfortable with it, because he probably knows Toub better than anyone.

5 hours ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

Please God no to Josh Mcdaniels.  I just wasn't a fan what he did in denver, i think he's one of those guys thats just a better co-ordinator than a head coach.

People forget that Bill Belichick started out as head coach with the Cleveland Browns.

He was 36-44 there.

His second time around as a HC, a little older, a little wiser, has worked out pretty good I'd say.

Same thing for Pete Carroll.  He was the head coach of the Jets and the Patriots.  Wasn't successful.

We obviously know how that one turned out as well.

NOTE: I'm not asserting that Josh McDaniels is the next Belichick or Carroll.   The point is that many young coaches struggle with their first NFL head coaching job.

McDaniels is undoubtedly more prepared and more experienced than he was in Denver.

5 hours ago, colt82 said:

The Toub thing caught me a little off-guard. No disrespect, but is that the best we can do?

He's considered one of the best special teams minds in the game.

Elite ST coaches have a tendency of panning out well in the NFL.  Best example is Bill Belichick (for Parcells). 

Second best example is John Harbaugh.  Third best example is Jim Harbaugh.

I'm intrigued by Toub.  If he can bring in innovative offensive and defensive coordinators, while keeping the Colts' current ST coach, Tom McMahon, I would be all for it.

Volin leaked almost that exact same info earlier in the season on or before that Jag game. I dont really see this as a new update. His mentioning of Toub in my opinion is working off the Ballard coach preference rumors when Ballard was hired in Indy.