Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ongoing Colts 2018 draft talk........

Myles

Currently in the #3 spot.  It would be nice to be in the #3 spot in each round.   I hope someone gets anxious for a QB, but it's not looking good for trading down.   Only Denver and the Jets seem to be a possibility.   If Cleveland and the Giants snag Rosen and Darnold, there may not be a need for a team to trade up.  At #3 I'm not sure who the Colts should look at.  I'm leaning Nelson, the guard from Notre Dame.   O-line has to be the #1 priority if we want to keep Luck on the field.  

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Currently in the #3 spot.  It would be nice to be in the #3 spot in each round.   I hope someone gets anxious for a QB, but it's not looking good for trading down.   Only Denver and the Jets seem to be a possibility.   If Cleveland and the Giants snag Rosen and Darnold, there may not be a need for a team to trade up.  At #3 I'm not sure who the Colts should look at.  I'm leaning Nelson, the guard from Notre Dame.   O-line has to be the #1 priority if we want to keep Luck on the field.  

for me, its easy at this point.  Nelson or Chubb.  Both are top players at their position and both should be available at 3.  I'm leaning Nelson but wouldnt be upset with Chubb. 

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I agree I would run that card all the way to the bank at 3 I like Saquan too but I think with a better o-line Mack will be much better next season.

23 minutes ago, csmopar said:

for me, its easy at this point.  Nelson or Chubb.  Both are top players at their position and both should be available at 3.  I'm leaning Nelson but wouldnt be upset with Chubb. 

I agree but I would not entirely rule out Barkley.  I believe if you just rank them as BPA it would be Nelson, Barkley, Chubb using total grades.  I think FA could have an impact as well. 

29 minutes ago, csmopar said:

100 sacks allowed in two years. I think oline is a safe pick..lol

I like a lot of the prospects but I'd be pretty happy if we drafted Chubb.

He's probably not gonna be a Von Miller, and he's not as great a prospect as Myles Garrett was although that's not really a knock on Chubb, but I think he'll be really solid. And pass rush is a position I'll take a really solid rookie at.

I'd be just as happy with Nelson though, even if they say G isn't a great top 5 pick (if we pick there). Trading back for him would be great but that's easier said than done.

47 minutes ago, Myles said:

If we lose to Houston (I'm figuring Balt is a sure loss ) there a decent chance we could finish at #2. The Giants are playing better and could beat Az or Washington , both have nothing to play for. Strength of schedule would put us at 2. As to QB needy teams , you need to add AZ and Buffalo to your list. Is Cinn. sold on Dalton ? Plus there are some very talented QB's that could have a monster pro day and maybe one of them could join Rosen and Darnold at the top. On the flip side of that , it's  possible Darnold doesn't come out. Unlikely but word is he's considering it.

2 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Saquan Barkley or a QB(Darnold) and Trade Luck for additional picks and you'll have a winner for sure. Can we say "playoffs"?

if we were selling luck, teams would be smart enough to realize something must be wrong with him 

the colts look horrible from the outside, why would we trade the one guy that can lift this team to wins, to risk starting a rookie with a lower ceiling?

browns are locked in at #1

it will be hard to pass the giants, they play philly, then on the road in AZ, then finish up with the redskins.  they could win the final game, but they wont be favored 

i dont think we will get a big trade if we are picking third

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

If we lose to Houston (I'm figuring Balt is a sure loss ) there a decent chance we could finish at #2. The Giants are playing better and could beat Az or Washington , both have nothing to play for. Strength of schedule would put us at 2. As to QB needy teams , you need to add AZ and Buffalo to your list. Is Cinn. sold on Dalton ? Plus there are some very talented QB's that could have a monster pro day and maybe one of them could join Rosen and Darnold at the top. On the flip side of that , it's  possible Darnold doesn't come out. Unlikely but word is he's considering it.

Getting to #2 might free up some trading down options.   I didn't include Arizona and Buffalo because I think the odds go down that we trade for a pick that low.   I could be wrong.     They would probably have to include a 1st rounder in 2019 as well.   Which would be good.   I really wouldn't want the Colts to trade back to a 18-25th pick.  

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it will be hard to pass the giants, they play philly, then on the road in AZ, then finish up with the redskins.  they could win the final game, but they wont be favored 

We can if the first 2 picks are QBs. That will send QB needy teams like the Jets and Cardinals into a thought process that might involve moving up with the Colts. 

The true question then becomes, who can you get at #8 or #11 where the Jets and Cardinals would be?

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

We can if the first 2 picks are QBs. That will send QB needy teams like the Jets and Cardinals into a thought process that might involve moving up with the Colts. 

The true question then becomes, who can you get at #8 or #11 where the Jets and Cardinals would be?

Good point, and too risky if you ask me. This team needs top-top talent, and it needs it badly. I wouldn’t trade down very far, just a couple of safe spots if the stars are truly aligned.

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Eli goes out with a win in his last career game, giving his big brother’s franchise the number two overall pick, which we trade for a king’s ransom, thus ensuring the next 15 years of Colts reigning over the rest of the league. Eli gets a statue next to Peyton in Indy. 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

they will be interested but what do you think they would offer us?

i know the trade charts are not gospel, but it says the jets would need to give up their second and third picks to swap first with us.   i would probably take that, but it seems like a lot to give up for the third QB off the board

11th is further back than i would want to go.  i would be for asking a lot to move back there 

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Ol had been a horror since manning left.

OL was horrible when Manning was here the last several years....he just knew how to get rid of the ball fast and we ran an offense that allowed him to check at the line and audible and get into favorable plays. The concepts we are running and how long we are holding the ball...it isn't all the OL....but I certainly wouldn't be upset to upgrade it....just would like to trade back if we are going that route.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

if we were selling luck, teams would be smart enough to realize something must be wrong with him 

the colts look horrible from the outside, why would we trade the one guy that can lift this team to wins, to risk starting a rookie with a lower ceiling?

Because Luck lied to us and is faking an injury because we kept Pagano and we still don't have a decent line to protect him....and behind the scenes he is demanding a trade. Thus he could be ok and teams would value trading for him.

Ps. Did I mention I just watched Conspiracy Theory with Mel Gibson last night???? lol

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

they will be interested but what do you think they would offer us?

i know the trade charts are not gospel, but it says the jets would need to give up their second and third picks to swap first with us.   i would probably take that, but it seems like a lot to give up for the third QB off the board

11th is further back than i would want to go.  i would be for asking a lot to move back there 

If we want Quenton Nelson, there is a chance he may still be on the board at #8, not sure about #11 though, so I think #8 might be as far as we would want to trade down. Bradley Chubb however will not be on the board at #8, IMO.

Pass rushers are valued at a premium compared to guards in the draft because a guard will still be one part of an OL which can still be held down by its weakest link. However, a pass rusher can single handedly make game changing plays. 

Hence, I wouldn't mind trading down to #8 with the Jets for a 1,2,3 and still land Quenton Nelson there.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

The Heisman Trophy winner is out there too.....there are some big Baker Mayfield fans in a couple front offices. The teams interested in qbs this year could be as many as last year. I think 4 maybe 5 go in the first rd....Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson. Can't tell who will all be interested but I think it is safe to say CLE, NYG, DEN, NYJ, ARI, BUF, and JAX could all possibly be in the mix and maybe a dark horse team too depending on what goes on behind the scenes (WAS, CINCY). Anything could happen.

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If we want Quenton Nelson, there is a chance he may still be on the board at #8, not sure about #11 though, so I think #8 might be as far as we would want to trade down. Bradley Chubb however will not be on the board at #8, IMO.

Pass rushers are valued at a premium compared to guards in the draft because a guard will still be one part of an OL which can still be held down by its weakest link. However, a pass rusher can single handedly make game changing plays. 

Hence, I wouldn't mind trading down to #8 with the Jets for a 1,2,3 and still land Quenton Nelson there.

Best case scenario we end up with the #2 pick....and sell it to the Giants for multiple picks as I think they wouldn't end up worse than 3rd or 4th pick. I kinda expect us to beat Houston and end up with say the 5th or 6th pick so I'm not getting worked up over it. It would be best imo if teams like Chicago, SF, HOU (CLE), and TB win out who likely push qb needy teams up higher to us so that if we did trade back a guy like Chubb might have a chance to still be there.....but I wouldn't expect him to make it past any of those teams.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Best case scenario we end up with the #2 pick....and sell it to the Giants for multiple picks as I think they wouldn't end up worse than 3rd or 4th pick. I kinda expect us to beat Houston and end up with say the 5th or 6th pick so I'm not getting worked up over it. It would be best imo if teams like Chicago, SF, HOU (CLE), and TB win out who likely push qb needy teams up higher to us so that if we did trade back a guy like Chubb might have a chance to still be there.....but I wouldn't expect him to make it past any of those teams.

i dont think we can beat Houston......

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I hope not.  A team cannot do as much with the 6th pick as they could with the 3rd.  

I hate to root against the Colts, but I do hope they continue losing.  

That is not true. It is all about fit and coaching to maximize talent. There is no sure thing in the draft. 

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Getting to #2 might free up some trading down options.   I didn't include Arizona and Buffalo because I think the odds go down that we trade for a pick that low.   I could be wrong.     They would probably have to include a 1st rounder in 2019 as well.   Which would be good.   I really wouldn't want the Colts to trade back to a 18-25th pick.  

As we speak AZ has the 12th pick. Buffalo owns KC's first rounder which is the 21st plus their own at 22. So both teams have the ammunition .

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The Heisman Trophy winner is out there too.....there are some big Baker Mayfield fans in a couple front offices. The teams interested in qbs this year could be as many as last year. I think 4 maybe 5 go in the first rd....Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson. Can't tell who will all be interested but I think it is safe to say CLE, NYG, DEN, NYJ, ARI, BUF, and JAX could all possibly be in the mix and maybe a dark horse team too depending on what goes on behind the scenes (WAS, CINCY). Anything could happen.

Agree  with your thoughts However if you mentioned Washington and if they end up needing a QB , you'd have to put Cousins in the mix which would make the end number of teams needing a QB the same.

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

That is not true. It is all about fit and coaching to maximize talent. There is no sure thing in the draft. 

Even if I was speaking of the draft pick itself, 3rd is still superior to 6th.  

There is a better chance the player you want will still be available if you are picking 3rd in each round instead of 6th.   Trade value of those picks are better too.

Though its early, if the Colts were picking now, I would want Bradley Chubb. He has the look of a difference maker, and boy does this team need players like that. Especially one who can rush the QB like Chubb. 

I think the Colts are headed for the #2 pick. They have #3 sewn up should they lose their final two games, which they likely will. The Giants have a decent shot to win one of their 3 remaining games. If so, the Colts slide into the 2 spot. 

So.... take Chubb unless they can get a great deal from a team with a very high pick that needs to get a QB. Would have to be a 49er/Bears type deal. Grab an extra 2nd round pick and still get Chubb? Perfect. 

I'd prefer to trade down twice and take the ILB from Georgia around pick 20.  He'd have more impact on our team than a G would or an overweight (for a 34) DE in Chubb.

Hopefully Barkley or one of the WR kills it at the combine and some team wants them bad enough.

Anybody have an opinion on Michigan's DT, Maurice Hurst? I'm not a Michigan fan so I haven't watched him, and I've barely watched film on anyone, but everything I read about him makes him sound like he could be on the same level as Aaron Donald. Honestly, for my money, Aaron Donald IS the best defensive player in the league. He has surpassed a healthy Watt at this point. He was drafted 14th overall and I'm imagining that's around where Hurst will go, being a little undersized. Either way, I'm pretty firmly in the 'trade down' camp, and drafting Hurst looks like a solid idea based on what I've read. He jumps out in print much more than Chubb or Barkley, and as much as I believe Nelson will be a great guard, he still is just a guard. 

I’m hoping Ballard addresses the Oline first in free agency, but also in the draft.  As we all know, there will be Oline injuries and AC isn’t getting any younger.  Need depth.  

I wouldnt mind trading the pick, guys like McGlinchey and Orlando Brown will be available in the mid to late first.  

Oline, pass rusher, ILB.   I think we have serviceable to decent talent everywhere else.

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’m hoping Ballard addresses the Oline first in free agency, but also in the draft.  As we all know, there will be Oline injuries and AC isn’t getting any younger.  Need depth.  

I wouldnt mind trading the pick, guys like McGlinchey and Orlando Brown will be available in the mid to late first.  

Oline, pass rusher, ILB.   I think we have serviceable to decent talent everywhere else.

I agree especially with the bolded.  I believe that wide receiver and running back will also need addressing particularly if Gore and Moncrief aren't wearing the Shoe next year.