Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthias Farley - Trade Bait??

Valpo2004

Guy has played pretty well for us all season.  Looks like a decent NFL starter out there.

Next year if Hooker is back from injury and Geathers is healthy he would probably be regulated to the bench and special teams duty.  He's also on a cheap rookie deal.

It's nice to have the depth of course but could be be traded away for a good pick to a team looking for a safety??  What kind of pick do you think we could get for him?

I wouldn't give him away for some low round pick, depth is much more valuable.  But for a mid-round pick I could see a trade there. 

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

Guy has played pretty well for us all season.  Looks like a decent NFL starter out there.

Next year if Hooker is back from injury and Geathers is healthy he would probably be regulated to the bench and special teams duty.  He's also on a cheap rookie deal.

It's nice to have the depth of course but could be be traded away for a good pick to a team looking for a safety??  What kind of pick do you think we could get for him?

That's two BIG IF's, especially Geathers.

6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't give him away for some low round pick, depth is much more valuable.  But for a mid-round pick I could see a trade there. 

Some say this year was a waste. I disagree: At very least, guys like Farley, Desir, Wilson, Melvin, Hunt, Stewart, etc have gotten experience to provide some depth.

25 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Some say this year was a waste. I disagree: At very least, guys like Farley, Desir, Wilson, Melvin, Hunt, Stewart, etc have gotten experience to provide some depth.

Well it's helped us evaluate and give some guys some experience.  

I would keep him.  Who knows he could still improve even more and wind up being a fixture at safety.  That said if we did entertain offers why does it always have to be for a pick?   If it was me I would try to get a young starter in return.  Like Ballard did for Dorsett.  Maybe OL or ILB.  A proven player for a proven player.  Why mess around with an unknown draft pick who might not work out.  If we are going to trade one of our better players I would want to get someone of value in return.  

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Oh this season is far from a waste. We built up talent and can evaluate positions of need, we will have a top draft pick and are likely to trade back. Our corner depth is impressive, and with most of them rookies they are bound to be better next year, especially Wilson who is just out of shape. Defensive line is eating up blocks for our linebackers, so once we get some good ones inside our defense is going to get better quickly. 

Overall depth was created this year if nothing else and we shouldn’t lose many important parts based on contracts. 

Luck wont need a second surgery based on reports so everything is slowly piecing itself together, we’ll surprise next year if this offseason is successful. 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

i don't get it. why do we keep talking about trading away talent. were suppose to be building a powerhouse not being the browns who traded all there talent away for picks.

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

We wouldn't get good enough compensation pick wise to justify

trading Farley.

I'm with you - he's not worth much if anything.  And if you do trade him, you need to add defensive backfield depth, so you'd use that pick on a late round safety out of Notre Dame... oh, wait, that's what you had...

20 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he has been better than geathers lately, dont see why we would trade him

Geathers has been phased in and out since he returned but I still think he will be our SS next year talking about Geathers and I think unless we draft someone that is better than Farley you cant trade him cause if Geathers gets hurt again we are then left with nothing. In my opinion we have left good high potential players go and unless somebody offers like a 3rd to a 5th for him you don't make the trade.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I like Farley too and would like to see him stay on the roster...

Geathers is not a sure thing to remain healthy.    Farley is good insurance just in case...

But as good as I think Farley is,  I don't think he gets a mid-round pick.   I think gets a 7, no more than a 6 --- tops.

So I'd much rather keep him....

I think there is a greater chance of moving Green than Farley....that is if someone would even give up a pick for Green. I think its all but certain Butler moves on and we will need that safety depth. I think Farley and Geathers battle it out for a starting job next year.

5 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

1.  There is no real trade value for a guy like Farley.  When I say "real" I mean something other than a 7th rounder.  A mid round pick is an absolute pipe dream.

2. The Colts need all the depth they can get and he plays a position whose likely starters are either hurt now or just coming off significant injury.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like Farley too and would like to see him stay on the roster...

Geathers is not a sure thing to remain healthy.    Farley is good insurance just in case...

But as good as I think Farley is,  I don't think he gets a mid-round pick.   I think gets a 7, no more than a 6 --- tops.

So I'd much rather keep him....

See that surprises me.  He played well, at least at decent starter level for the whole season and on a cheap deal rookie deal he can't fetch anything more then a late round pick?

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

See that surprises me.  He played well, at least at decent starter level for the whole season and on a cheap deal rookie deal he can't fetch anything more then a late round pick?

I don't think he's got enough of a body of work to justify a 5.....

Teans are incredibly reluctant to give up good picks in trades unless it's for an established top player.

I could be wrong...   it only takes one team out of the other 31 to fall in love...   but my hunch would be a 6 at best...

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Simply not the way he league works.  Think of the way he came to Colts - as a free agent who was cut.  Farley's talent is a dime a dozen and one will give up any pick of significant value for a guy like that, at least right now.  The only way a trade happens is if it gets down the end of training camp and a team has injuries and needs someone like him to fill an immediate need.  A 6th is the by far the best case scenario and that is a REAL stretch.

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would keep him.  Who knows he could still improve even more and wind up being a fixture at safety.  That said if we did entertain offers why does it always have to be for a pick?   If it was me I would try to get a young starter in return.  Like Ballard did for Dorsett.  Maybe OL or ILB.  A proven player for a proven player.  Why mess around with an unknown draft pick who might not work out.  If we are going to trade one of our better players I would want to get someone of value in return.  

i concur dont trade for picks they are too uncertain

6 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

thats ruff. Trading in the new lease already? what would you ask for in return?

I'd take a ham sandwich for all of our safeties except Farley.  None of them fit,and/or are injured.

Then train Wilson as a FS to take over for Farley at some point and draft a good SS.  The NFL needs safeties who can cover, not center fielders.   

That's ignorant, Hooker showed a lot of promise before getting hurt and was our 1st rounder a year ago. I'm sure Seattle is real upset they have a centre fielder like Earl Thomas....Hooker got hurt early enough he should be recovered for the start of next year but you'd rather trade him for nothing move our rookie CB to FS making another hole sorry but that doesn't make much sense....

31 minutes ago, ty4atd said:

That's ignorant, Hooker showed a lot of promise before getting hurt and was our 1st rounder a year ago. I'm sure Seattle is real upset they have a centre fielder like Earl Thomas....Hooker got hurt early enough he should be recovered for the start of next year but you'd rather trade him for nothing move our rookie CB to FS making another hole sorry but that doesn't make much sense....

Sunk cost.  Earl Thomas is a lot stouter than Hooker and is a better all around player, he's not just a centerfielder.

Wilson has the size, speed, tackling and ball skills to be a FS, and actual coverage skills and experience as well.  During the draft, scouts thought he would make a good FS if he didn't work out as a CB.