Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way too early mock draft

Bad omen and all, unforunately the season is over and we are most likely getting a top 5 maybe a top 3 pick. so lets look at my absolutely wrong draft. Keep in my mind, my draft is based on luck returning so without farther ado........

Colts trade back with the jets for 1st and 2nd round pick

1.Mike Mcglinchey OT Notre Dame

Best tackle in the draft, but not worth a top 3 pick so I believe trading back is the best option to fill a big need and potentially find a new LT.

2.Austin Bryant Pass Rusher Clemson

Probably reaching here, but would be a steal in the second for our new speed rusher

2.Roquan Smith ILB Georgia

Again probably reaching, but finally gives us that LB that can cover and with the speed and hitting ability to play all over the field.

3.Isaiah Wynn G Georgia

Has played all over the line being an aggressive and strong blocker, however not the biggest blocker.

4.Cedric Wilson WR Boise State

Tall wr at 6-3 with 4.6 speed catching 56 catches for 1100 yards and 11 tds. Could be a good replacement for moncrief.

5.Ian Thomas TE Indiana

Home town kid with great hands and good size with 4.7 speed

6.Rashaad Penny RB San Diego State

Big power back with 4.6 speed to go with mack's big play ability

7.K.C Mcdermott T/G Miami

Mcdermott has improved his pass blocking, but still needs to improve more to be a nfl-caliber lineman. Can play both inside and outside.

100% wrong, but hey im ready for you guys to tell me that :thmup:

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They may be moving up to get our 2nd overall pick if we keep playing the way we are. So I’d also want their future 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and possibly another future pick.

I could be wrong but I think teams trading their draft futures away are a thing of the past.

56 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Eagles gave up their #1, a 3rd and 4th. Not what you suggested in your comment.

Rams traded their #15, a 4th and a 5th.

That is still not coming close as to your comment.

Where did you get that info from?  The Rams gave up 2 1st round picks, 2 2nd round picks, and  two 3rd round picks.

They received a 1, 4, and 6.

The Eagles gave up 2 1sts, a 2, a 3, and a 4.

Which draft would you rather have? I limited each draft to 1 trade each, both in the 1st round since the Colts are likely to trade their high pick for more...

(A)

Round 1 Pick 7 (T.B.): Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina State 
Round 2 Pick 3: Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama 
Round 2 Pick 7 (T.B.): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State 
Round 3 Pick 3: Braden Smith, OT/G, Auburn
Round 3 Pick 7 (T.B.): Tony Brown, CB, Alabama 
Round 4 Pick 3: Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn 
Round 5 Pick 3: Cedrick Wilson, WR, Boise State 
Round 6 Pick 3: Bentley Spain, OT, North Carolina 
Round 7 Pick 3: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland

(Trade - Indy trades 3rd overall pick to TB for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks)

(B)

Round 1 Pick 11 (NYJ): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame 
Round 2 Pick 3: Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 11 (NYJ): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State
Round 3 Pick 3: Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia 
Round 6 Pick 3: TJ Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin

(Trade - Indy trades 3rd overall pick to New York for their 1st, 2nd, 2019 1st)

10 hours ago, ty4atd said:

Roquan Smith will probably go in the top 20 picks so getting him in the 2nd and calling it a reach is silly, not that he couldn't drop there but it, wouldn't be a reach.

I meant it was a stretch not reach. My bad.

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

Bad omen and all, unforunately the season is over and we are most likely getting a top 5 maybe a top 3 pick. so lets look at my absolutely wrong draft. Keep in my mind, my draft is based on luck returning so without farther ado........

Colts trade back with the jets for 1st and 2nd round pick

1.Mike Mcglinchey OT Notre Dame

Best tackle in the draft, but not worth a top 3 pick so I believe trading back is the best option to fill a big need and potentially find a new LT.

2.Austin Bryant Pass Rusher Clemson

Probably reaching here, but would be a steal in the second for our new speed rusher

2.Roquan Smith ILB Georgia

Again probably reaching, but finally gives us that LB that can cover and with the speed and hitting ability to play all over the field.

3.Isaiah Wynn G Georgia

Has played all over the line being an aggressive and strong blocker, however not the biggest blocker.

4.Cedric Wilson WR Boise State

Tall wr at 6-3 with 4.6 speed catching 56 catches for 1100 yards and 11 tds. Could be a good replacement for moncrief.

5.Ian Thomas TE Indiana

Home town kid with great hands and good size with 4.7 speed

6.Rashaad Penny RB San Diego State

Big power back with 4.6 speed to go with mack's big play ability

7.K.C Mcdermott T/G Miami

Mcdermott has improved his pass blocking, but still needs to improve more to be a nfl-caliber lineman. Can play both inside and outside.

100% wrong, but hey im ready for you guys to tell me that :thmup:

The one that jumps out at me is......    Penny.

He's a Day 2 RB.     He'll go in the 2nd or 3rd round.     

He won't last to Day 3.     And if he somehow did,  I can't imagine him slipping past R4.      I think he rushed for roughly 2,000 yards.     I know the competition isn't that great,  but 2,000 yards is still impressive.

11 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Which draft would you rather have? I limited each draft to 1 trade each, both in the 1st round since the Colts are likely to trade their high pick for more...

(A)

Round 1 Pick 7 (T.B.): Bradley Chubb, DE, North Carolina State 
Round 2 Pick 3: Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama 
Round 2 Pick 7 (T.B.): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State 
Round 3 Pick 3: Braden Smith, OT/G, Auburn
Round 3 Pick 7 (T.B.): Tony Brown, CB, Alabama 
Round 6 Pick 3: Bentley Spain, OT, North Carolina 

(Trade - Indy trades 3rd overall pick to TB for their 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks)

(B)

Round 1 Pick 11 (NYJ): Quenton Nelson, OG, Notre Dame 
Round 2 Pick 3: Rashaan Evans, ILB, Alabama
Round 2 Pick 11 (NYJ): Martinas Rankin, OT, Mississippi State
Round 3 Pick 3: Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Georgia 
Round 6 Pick 3: TJ Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin

(Trade - Indy trades 3rd overall pick to New York for their 1st, 2nd, 2019 1st)

Not sure you realize how unrealistic these are.

You didn't do anything wrong,  but the people who run thse sites have no idea what they're doing.     None.

So, all of your 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks will likely be gone either on Day 2,  or by the 4th round.

They won't be available where you drafted them.      These websites are completely unrealistic until April.

By then they have some idea of what they doing.

As of now, Roquan Smith is the player I want, and he'll be gone by pick 20, so I don't care for OP's mock draft.  Smith grades out better than both Deon Jones and Lavonte David did, and they were early second rounders at the time.

But I like the trade down with the Jets if its possible.

BTW, this forum perennially disrespects the need for a good #2 WR.  (This mock draft a 4th rounder) The offense has desperately needed one since a healthy Reggie.  The lack of a good one contributes to sacks.  

If we had to pick #3, I wouldn't mind at all getting the best WR in the draft...if its not a huge reach.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

As of now, Roquan Smith is the player I want, and he'll be gone by pick 20, so I don't care for OP's mock draft.  Smith grades out better than both Deon Jones and Lavonte David did, and they were early second rounders at the time.

But I like the trade down with the Jets if its possible.

BTW, this forum perennially disrespects the need for a good #2 WR.  (This mock draft a 4th rounder) The offense has desperately needed one since a healthy Reggie.  The lack of a good one contributes to sacks.  

If we had to pick #3, I wouldn't mind at all getting the best WR in the draft...if its not a huge reach.

I think a poor Oline, a scheme that relies on too many long developing plays and a QB who sometimes holds onto the football too long contributes more to sacks than a poor number 2 WR.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He won't last to Day 3.     And if he somehow did,  I can't imagine him slipping past R4.      I think he rushed for roughly 2,000 yards.     I know the competition isn't that great,  but 2,000 yards is still impressive.

Where as 2,000 yards is impressive the level of competition is important. GM’s will definitely factor that into his workouts but he could still be gone by RD4. RD 2 is a reach for him in my eyes with how loaded this position is. Donald Brown is case and point. Great college numbers against lesser comp and it should when he got to the big boy league. Don’t mind his over drafted spot just the number comparison really. 

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Where as 2,000 yards is impressive the level of competition is important. GM’s will definitely factor that into his workouts but he could still be gone by RD4. RD 2 is a reach for him in my eyes with how loaded this position is. Donald Brown is case and point. Great college numbers against lesser comp and it should when he got to the big boy league. Don’t mind his over drafted spot just the number comparison really. 

Penny is 5'11" and 220.    Said to run sub-4.5.     Returns kickoffs for touchdowns.

What he lacks in competiton, he makes up with great physical skills.     If you've got talent,  RB is a position where you can make the transition to the NFL.      He may not go in the 2nd round,  but it's hard to see him NOT being picked in  the top 100 players.    I think he's there easly.       But if somehow he doesn't get picked on Day 2 and he's there with our pick at the top of the 4th,  I'll be hoping we say his name right then and there.....

I'd be thrilled to grab Penny there..... 

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Penny is just a one cut down hill runner playing against weak competition. He's not particularly fast and his only real asset is his size imo

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Penny is just a one cut down hill runner playing against weak competition. He's not particularly fast and his only real asset is his size imo

San Diego State's competition isn't THAT weak.    Remember,  guys like Cohen and Mack went in the 4th round last year.       If getting 2,000 yards was that easy,  everyone would do it.     But they don't.

The poster I responded to had Penny in the 6th round.     That's a big difference.   

Maybe Penny is not as good as i think he is.    But if he somehow manages to fall to the 4th round,  I'd be thrilled if we picked him there!     Few things would make me as happy.....

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

San Diego State's competition isn't THAT weak.    Remember,  guys like Cohen and Mack went in the 4th round last year.       If getting 2,000 yards was that easy,  everyone would do it.     But they don't.

The poster I responded to had Penny in the 6th round.     That's a big difference.   

Maybe Penny is not as good as i think he is.    But if he somehow manages to fall to the 4th round,  I'd be thrilled if we picked him there!     Few things would make me as happy.....

haha sound like a big penny fan