Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ross Travis

Dark Superman

When the coaching staff is changed next year I think we need to keep ahold of the TE coach. He seems to do a pretty good job of coaching up talent. Heck Swoops knew nothing and looked good late last year. To bad we couldn't get a sample from him this year.

I know it's been a rough season, so it's sometimes hard to find something positive from this team. Ross Travis was one of those rare positives to find every once in a while. I'm praying that he becomes a diamond in the rough and one of the more recognizable TEs in the league down the road. Hopefully, he change's his number to something in the 80's after the season though.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

He's a field stretcher like Swoope, but probably better.  A different role than Doyle.  Travis should stay and Swoope and Williams can fight it out for third, but I'd prefer a new TE for #3, more of a blocker than either.

I see so much potential in Ross and this is a guy was a college basketball player. I know we haven't seen much from him, but if he can show enough to stick around until Training Camp next year, I think he can not only make this team, but contribute on the field during the regular season.

3 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I see so much potential in Ross and this is a guy was a college basketball player. I know we haven't seen much from him, but if he can show enough to stick around until Training Camp next year, I think he can not only make this team, but contribute on the field during the regular season.

He seems to be as quick and explosive as Swoope, but a lot taller.

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if you HAD seen the game Thursday night,  there is no way in the world you make this post.

Not with what almost happened to Williams.     You'd never make this post......

What does that have to do with what I think of him as a player?   That's a totally separate issue.

Obviously I'm not making fun of his injury.    Before the injury he was just an average player.   Please expound.  Are we not here to talk about football?

On 12/15/2017 at 12:57 PM, dgambill said:

Well you got your wish....he suffered a horrible head injury last night and was taken off on a stretcher....so there you go. While he doesn't provide much in the passing game he was a pretty decent blocker....which is something our TEs need work on....Doyle included.....just not impressed with their H-Back skills when we use them like a fullback.

Certainly I didn't want him to leave with an injury bro.      But football wise I do want him to leave yes. 

On 12/15/2017 at 3:20 AM, Dark Superman said:

Exactly! I saw so much potential in what I saw out of Travis tonight. I could see him increasing his role here in Indianapolis.

Having a 6'7 target with a wicked tattoo on his arm and plays with an edge is what this offense needs!

ladies and gentlemen

your typical colts fan

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This fan base hasn't had much to be excited about all season long.

As I noted elsewhere in this thread,   if he turns into something, then that's a win.    

Take your wins where you can find them.

sure but there is no reason for excitement.  not yet anyway

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if you HAD seen the game Thursday night,  there is no way in the world you make this post.

Not with what almost happened to Williams.     You'd never make this post......

why not?  him getting hurt doesnt change the facts.  

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

He's a field stretcher like Swoope, but probably better.  A different role than Doyle.  Travis should stay and Swoope and Williams can fight it out for third, but I'd prefer a new TE for #3, more of a blocker than either.

how on earth do you say he is better than swoope?

can you at least warn us before the post that you are just going to make some stuff up for no reason.  

2 hours ago, krunk said:

What does that have to do with what I think of him as a player?   That's a totally separate issue.

Obviously I'm not making fun of his injury.    Before the injury he was just an average player.   Please expound.  Are we not here to talk about football?

Krunk.....     first things first....    I hope you know by now that I'm a fan of yours.    When I refer to the top posters here,  you're on them.     You're one of the better posters and one of the reasons I'm on this website every day.     I want to read what you write.

My response came from this.....     I didn't react as soon as I read your post, I reacted after I saw your second post when you said you didn't see the game.       Williams didn't just get hurt.     Four nearly a half-hour most Colts fans feared the worst,   possible paralysis.     He was not just carted off the field,   he was carted off and his entire body was taped down.    It looked awful.    The entire team came out on the field to see if he was OK and pay tribute to him.    He didn't hurt a knee or an ankle,   it looked the worst possible thing on a football field short of death.   

It wasn't until Pagano was interviewed at the half and he said that Williams had some movement in his extremities that the fear of paralysis began to ease.    But still,   they took him to the hospital.    Serious stuff.     This wasn't just another injury.     

So when I read your post,  it just seemed like kicking a guy when he's down.    And what did you say?    He's not all that good.     Well.....   yeah....    He's not a starter....    and he's not a good number 2 who might be more the receiving TE.   He's some teams 3rd tight end.     Given that Williams had just gotten out of the hospital,  it didn't seem right to be trashing a guy that nearly had the worst possible injury.    When I read your post,  I literally winced.    I physically flinched.    It just felt......     wrong.

And I figured you didn't know about how bad Williams' injury was.     Figured you heard he suffered a concussion and it wasn't that big a deal.     I'd understand that.     But it was a pretty scary period of time Thursday night,  and the post just struck me as wrong....

Sorry....     wasn't trying to dump on you....      just offering up some context on why I posted as I did....

p.s. --- of course we can talk football here.....    I'd love nothing more than that....    I know that's what you were trying to do....      the timing was....     awkward...     if you had said the same thing a few days later,  I probably wouldn't have responded as I did....

1 hour ago, dudeski said:

why not?  him getting hurt doesnt change the facts.  

He didn't just get hurt.

If he had suffered an ankle or a knee injury,  then I'd say he got hurt.

But for a period of time Thursday night,  it looked like Williams suffered a serious neck injury and maybe even paralysis.   That's why he got taken off the field taped to a stretcher and then carted off.    Scared the crap out of a lot of people.   Turns out it was only a concussion.    But they don't normally take people to the hospital for just a concussion.    There was real fear that it could've been worse.

So, it seemed Krunk's post seemed a little insensitive at the time....       I've expained my thinking to him in another post, so no need to duplicate that here...

On 12/15/2017 at 8:54 PM, WoolMagnet said:

It was a joke.

i always thought Fleener played a little timidly for his size.  He wasnt as physical as i'd like a TE to be.  I liked him as a receiver, but he got pushed around .

and i respectfully disagree about Doyle.  I think he does whatever asked.  And i think he does it pretty well too.  Im not sure that he is worth the big contract (not many are), but without him on the team, our TE position would be very weak.  Whats the guy gotta do?  He's unselfish, a good blocker, and is leading the team in receiving.

This is correct feel the exact same!!

4 hours ago, dudeski said:

how on earth do you say he is better than swoope?

can you at least warn us before the post that you are just going to make some stuff up for no reason.  

I didn't.  I said probably.  Because he's taller and looks just as athletic. 

What is the love for Swoope on this forum?  Last spring I called him a JAG who hasn't seen the field much and people behaved like he was a probowler.  

Didn't mean commit sacrilege and dis the man Swoope when Doyle is the starter.  Must be something else going on here.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, Hoose said:

You look for the little positives in a season like this. The Colts need another TE; its great to see a young guy step up and assert himself in the middle of this misery. I hope the team gives Ross Travis a chance to shine; unlike most of the Colt players, he acts like he understands that he's auditioning for a job next year. 

Amen to that.  I was just about to start a thread on our water boy.  He's been providing some quality H2O and our dehydration levels are down 15%.    

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

What is the love for Swoope on this forum?  Last spring I called him a JAG who hasn't seen the field much and people behaved like he was a probowler.  

Didn't mean commit sacrilege and dis the man Swoope when Doyle is the starter.  Must be something else going on here.

The whole situation with Swoope is frustrating because he was showing so much progress every year he's been here. I thought this season was going to be his coming out party, but that never happened. The Colts should have a healthy Luck back next season with a much-improved offense around him. Hopefully, Swoope will still be here and can finally show us he was well worth the wait.

6 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

The whole situation with Swoope is frustrating because he was showing so much progress every year he's been here. I thought this season was going to be his coming out party, but that never happened. The Colts should have a healthy Luck back next season with a much-improved offense around him. Hopefully, Swoope will still be here and can finally show us he was well worth the wait.

I agree. 

To the bolded, many here seem to forget that, and already wrote him in as being solid. 

Swoope hasn't really done anything, as has any TE other than Doyle.   All things equal, and equal hasn't been confirmed yet but looks promising, I prefer the TE who's 6'7"

What I don't understand is this who is better attitude between the TEs. We have no clue as to who is better. Doyle is here to stay and it's a toss up past that.

We always carry at least three or four TEs on the active roster so there is room for both Swoop and Travis.

Other than Kelce, Travis couldn't beat out Harris and Charles and he was cut.

I know most of us are looking for a bright spot on this roster but let's not get too excited just yet.

Height and tattoos don't make him a starting TE.

And again, I say, one of the answers is to draft a TE with hands and blocking skills to ride shotgun with Doyle. Another solid player at this position and some problems get solved: additional pass catcher; better blocking up front, etc. This is a subtle but not unimportant weakness on the Colts. 

This post tells the whole story of the Colt year. This post started outtalking about a new player who was a bright light to a dark game and season and the last 2/3s of the thread ended up being a nonsense argument that had nothing to do with the original topic. Happens way to much in these threads and i wish the moderator could cut some of this crap out.

On 12/16/2017 at 8:48 PM, DougDew said:

not love for him

just insane to say this dude is better because he is "taller"

but then again you are a colts fan.  being tall is all that matters to you guys.  

On 12/16/2017 at 5:26 PM, NewColtsFan said:

He didn't just get hurt.

If he had suffered an ankle or a knee injury,  then I'd say he got hurt.

But for a period of time Thursday night,  it looked like Williams suffered a serious neck injury and maybe even paralysis.   That's why he got taken off the field taped to a stretcher and then carted off.    Scared the crap out of a lot of people.   Turns out it was only a concussion.    But they don't normally take people to the hospital for just a concussion.    There was real fear that it could've been worse.

So, it seemed Krunk's post seemed a little insensitive at the time....       I've expained my thinking to him in another post, so no need to duplicate that here...

oh ok.  i didn't know you were the sensitive police.

carry on then captain.  

8 minutes ago, dudeski said:

not love for him

just insane to say this dude is better because he is "taller"

but then again you are a colts fan.  being tall is all that matters to you guys.  

Who is saying that he is better because he's taller?   

Do you grasp the concept?  If all other things are equal, would you prefer the TE who is 6.7 or 6.5?

And neither Swoope or Travis have any type of record to compare each other, or to any other TE.  They are both replaceable, rather easily too. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Do you grasp the concept?  If all things are equal, would you prefer the TE who is 6.7 or 6.5?

And neither Swoope or Travis have any type of record to compare each other, or to any other TE.  They are both replaceable, rather easily too. 

ross has 2 catches.  all things aren't equal.  

23 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Happens way to much in these threads and i wish the moderator could cut some of this crap out.

It has been addressed...

Almost 2 pages of "unnecessary back & forth" has been removed, as well as posts referencing the back & forth. It became some what difficult deciding what to remove, so if it was off topic, it just got lumped into the "back & forth" remove pile. 

Indeed a rough season.

Happy Holidays Colts fans...

On 12/18/2017 at 2:28 PM, DougDew said:

Do you grasp the concept?  If all other things are equal, would you prefer the TE who is 6.7 or 6.5?

Here you go AGAIN?!       Only in your mind does Swoope's 15 catches last year for 297 yards (a 19.8 average) compare equally to Ross's 2 catches from the game the other night.       You lump Swoope in with Ross as near equals.

Amazing.

And, they're both EASILY REPLACEABLE?!?

Amazing again.

You don't realize Swoope was the #2 TE this year,  a key weapon in this offense.   19.8 yards a catch from the tight end spot?!?    That's fan-freaking-tastic!     But apparently, you're not impressed.    He didn't lose the job,  he got hurt.    And you say he's easily replaceable?       Hey, maybe he can play safety and replace Hooker?

Go ahead......    I'm sure you'll try to defend this.    And I'm sure you'll somehow make this my problem, not yours.    You continue to have a unique view of football.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here you go AGAIN?!       Only in your mind does Swoope's 15 catches last year for 297 yards (a 19.8 average) compare equally to Ross's 2 catches from the game the other night.       You lump Swoope in with Ross as near equals.

Amazing.

And, they're both EASILY REPLACEABLE.

Amaing again.

You don't realize Swoope was the #2 TE this year,  a key weapon in this offense.   19.8 yards a catch from the tight end spot?!?    That's fan-freaking-tastic!     But apparently, you're not impressed.    He didn't lose the job,  he got hurt.    And you say he's easily replaceable?       Hey, maybe he can play safety and replace Hooker?

Go ahead......    I'm sure you'll try to defend this.    And I'm sure you'll somehow make this my problem, not yours.    You continue to have a unique view of football.

LOL!  Clutching my stomach.   Bravo    Bravo