Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kinda bummed about 2018 draft

Finally we will get a high pick in the draft and there are no slam dunk superstars to choose from. Am I being too negative? I cannot imagine us being this bad again next year (unless Luck never comes back, God forbid!). I think the best case scenario in the 2018 draft would be for Ballard to trade down our first rounder with some QB hungry team and hopefully pick up a high first round pick from them for next year. If the team we trade with sucks again next year, can you imagine us with someone like Nick Bosa?

26 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

Finally we will get a high pick in the draft and there are no slam dunk superstars to choose from. Am I being too negative? I cannot imagine us being this bad again next year (unless Luck never comes back, God forbid!). I think the best case scenario in the 2018 draft would be for Ballard to trade down our first rounder with some QB hungry team and hopefully pick up a high first round pick from them for next year. If the team we trade with sucks again next year, can you imagine us with someone like Nick Bosa?

its also really early for draft prospect talk yet.  it'll heat up post January. That said, i agree with the notion there isnt a  gaming changing, once in a generation talent coming out this year.  but there is some very good and solid players available.  Personally, I'm stuck on wanting Nelson.  I think he's the best OL to come out in recent years.  and we need him.  2nd choice would be Chubb. 

46 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

You are being too negative. If we get a top 5 pick, I guarantee there will be 5 superstar players in this draft at least. It's up to Ballard to find them. Right now, you are relying on limited info, game tape (what's available of it right now), and word of mouth from "experts" who are making early predictions. We still have combines, pro days, and a lot of other stuff to go before we separate these guys before the draft. It should be much more clear come draft time. We'll know about Luck, and we should have an idea who could be available at our pick, and what our pick will be.

20 minutes ago, csmopar said:

its also really early for draft prospect talk yet.  it'll heat up post January. That said, i agree with the notion there isnt a  gaming changing, once in a generation talent coming out this year.  but there is some very good and solid players available.  Personally, I'm stuck on wanting Nelson.  I think he's the best OL to come out in recent years.  and we need him.  2nd choice would be Chubb. 

Need to ask something. People talk about "once in a generation" like it's a historic thing when referring to a top player, yet it's literally used every draft. Isn't once in a generation supposed to be every 10 years or so in football draft terms? It seems way overused almost to the point where people are using it every draft for a player. I hardly believe Barkley is "once in a generation".

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Need to ask something. People talk about "once in a generation" like it's a historic thing when referring to a top player, yet it's literally used every draft. Isn't once in a generation supposed to be every 10 years or so in football draft terms? It seems way overused almost to the point where people are using it every draft for a player. I hardly believe Barkley is "once in a generation".

My thoughts exactly!  

37 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Definitely overused.  Barkley and Nelson will be the once in a generation type players this year.  Next year someone else will jump up the board for the same tag. 

The advice to take a deep breath and wait a while is good, though. Many permutations for the Colts' first pick will occur before draft day. By then, Luck's situation will drive the Colts' planning. If they have the #2 pick and Luck is still struggling to recover, choosing a QB is definitely possible. I hate to even think that way, but the reality of the situation is that it could very well happen. The uncertain QB situation also means the Colts will be active in free agency to fill as many needs as possible. They have the cap space; this is the year to spend it. 

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very overused term I agree. 

Once a generation seems to be meaning one per year.  

I will say I was extremely impressed with Barkley when he played against my Hawkeyes this year, but I also saw that was his best game of the year.  So it wasn't like he was doing that week after week after week.

Best RB in the class, but the best in 10 years.  Nah.  There will be a new once a generation RB for the 2019 class.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

Very overused term I agree. 

Once a generation seems to be meaning one per year.  

I will say I was extremely impressed with Barkley when he played against my Hawkeyes this year, but I also saw that was his best game of the year.  So it wasn't like he was doing that week after week after week.

Best RB in the class, but the best in 10 years.  Nah.  There will be a new once a generation RB for the 2019 class.  

And it’s funny  how each top prospect at a position is way better than the previous year’s “once in a generation talent”. Elliot was supposedly way better than Gurley. Then Fournette is a way better prospect than Elliot. Now, Barkley is supposedly better than all of them. It’s ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Dr. T said:

There will be super-stars once the draft process and the hype around that starts up.  It doesn't usually start up in earnest until around when the Combine happens.

All that said, if possible I'd certainly rather trade down from a top 5 pick.  You can often get a kings ransom for those picks.  Especially for teams who are looking to get their quarterback.  

I'd rather have 2 mid to late first round picks (even if we have to wait til next year to use one of them.) then one top 5 pick.  IMO if you arn't grabbing a quarterback or a game changing edge rusher in the top 5, then if you can trade down you want to do so.  

I don't see a game changing edge rusher in the draft and we should hopefully have our quarterback.  There are a lot of places we could use more talent.  

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

And it’s funny  how each top prospect at a position is way better than the previous year’s “once in a generation talent”. Elliot was supposedly way better than Gurley. Then Fournette is a way better prospect than Elliot. Now, Barkley is supposedly better than all of them. It’s ridiculous. 

Oh yeah the hype train on the draft is ridiculous.  Also they seem to be afraid to say anything very negative about any player.  

I think the worst is when you get to the late rounds they talk about each guy like he's some sort of steal that will start in the league for 10 years.  

To be fair I sort of understand why they don't want to be too negative.  Each draft prospect is sitting at home watching the draft probably with their whole family.  No one wants to hear the guys on TV say "Yeah this guy sucks, he's getting cut in training camp."

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh yeah the hype train on the draft is ridiculous.  Also they seem to be afraid to say anything very negative about any player.  

I think the worst is when you get to the late rounds they talk about each guy like he's some sort of steal that will start in the league for 10 years.  

To be fair I sort of understand why they don't want to be too negative.  Each draft prospect is sitting at home watching the draft probably with their whole family.  No one wants to hear the guys on TV say "Yeah this guy sucks, he's getting cut in training camp."

Oh I hear you man. That's why I like reading Zerlein's write ups more than listening to stuff on air. Online he is very frank about certain players. He's not afraid to label people as career backups or just ST's players who can give you quality snaps here and there. The problem is a lot of fans buy into the overhyped late round guys who are potential steals and fill teams can fill needs with those players. We'll have a gaping hole at LB and someone will mock some small school no name kid to us in the 5th round. There's a lot of hype trains every years not only for the "top" prospects, but also the unheralded ones that always end up dissapointing. I remember a few years ago there was a ILB named Yawin Smallwood. He was mocked in between rounds 2-4. Ended up going round 7 to the Falcons. Didn't make the final roster, got signed to the Titans practice squad, and is currently a FA. I remember a bunch of people here liked him and analysts were confused as to why he went so late.

9 hours ago, Dr. T said:

Nope not a one. Were screwed. A totally wasted off season coming.
And next season will be awful too after Not so LUCKY chooses to retire just after training camp starts
rather than play behind our newest sh___ Oline.

13 hours ago, Dr. T said:

You obviously need to go watch some Saquon Barkley highlights, my friend.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Oh I hear you man. That's why I like reading Zerlein's write ups more than listening to stuff on air. Online he is very frank about certain players. He's not afraid to label people as career backups or just ST's players who can give you quality snaps here and there. The problem is a lot of fans buy into the overhyped late round guys who are potential steals and fill teams can fill needs with those players. We'll have a gaping hole at LB and someone will mock some small school no name kid to us in the 5th round. There's a lot of hype trains every years not only for the "top" prospects, but also the unheralded ones that always end up dissapointing. I remember a few years ago there was a ILB named Yawin Smallwood. He was mocked in between rounds 2-4. Ended up going round 7 to the Falcons. Didn't make the final roster, got signed to the Titans practice squad, and is currently a FA. I remember a bunch of people here liked him and analysts were confused as to why he went so late.

Yeah late round players go late for a reason.  To be fair in some instances we and the media might not always know what that is.  But there is a reason. 

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

The facepalm looks like something else to me or are you saying you want the colts to take Chubb.

The face palm is what it is....   nothing else.   I don't even know what else it could be?

Both emoji's were my reaction to a post from a poster who makes a lot of posts like the one he did in this thread.   Just a nonsensical rant that doesn't advance the conversation....

Nothing more to read into it....

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, csmopar said:

Agreed we need to pick this kid up if he is there and he should be.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

:facepalm:            :peek:

Did you go Braindead?      
sarcastic, satiric, ironic, sardonic mean marked by bitterness and a power or will to cut or sting. sarcastic implies an intentional inflicting of pain by deriding, taunting, or ridiculing.
 You see, i believe there are a number of Elite prospects in the 2018 draft. And at least one at Every position of need.
That is why i mocked, to my best, the Draft Downer position.   Get a ____ grip.   I still ____ you man.   COLTS 3-13

54 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Did you go Braindead?      
sarcastic, satiric, ironic, sardonic mean marked by bitterness and a power or will to cut or sting. sarcastic implies an intentional inflicting of pain by deriding, taunting, or ridiculing.
 You see, i believe there are a number of Elite prospects in the 2018 draft. And at least one at Every position of need.
That is why i mocked, to my best, the Draft Downer position.   Get a ____ grip.   I still ____ you man.   COLTS 3-13

Do you have any idea how often you write stuff like that?    Way more than I think you even know.

And often when you write your....   unique views of the football world, posters here have no idea WHAT you're saying, or WHY you're saying it...    your posts often generate more questions than answers....

It's not just me...   Look at the thread, I'm not alone...    perhaps tweaking your approach would be warranted?

Just food for thought.....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you have any idea how often you write stuff like that?    Way more than I think you even know.

And often when you write your....   unique views of the football world, posters here have no idea WHAT you're saying, or WHY you're saying it...    your posts often generate more questions than answers....

It's not just me...   Look at the thread, I'm not alone...    perhaps tweaking your approach would be warranted?

Just food for thought.....

Your comments are infinitely more annoying than anything BBZ has ever posted...

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Your comments are infinitely more annoying than anything BBZ has ever posted...

That's your opinion.    I have no doubt others here agree with you.     

I'm the only poster on this website who has offered an apology to everyone here that I bother and I have done so five straight years....   13, 14, 15, 16, and 17.    I'm not required to do that, but I do anyway.

But if I bother you that much feel free to put me on ignore...    I always encourage that to posters that I bother that much.   I want you to enjoy the Colts.com experience, so if ignoring me would help, then please do so.........

On 12/15/2017 at 9:24 PM, NewColtsFan said:

That's your opinion.    I have no doubt others here agree with you.     

I'm the only poster on this website who has offered an apology to everyone here that I bother and I have done so five straight years....   13, 14, 15, 16, and 17.    I'm not required to do that, but I do anyway.

But if I bother you that much feel free to put me on ignore...    I always encourage that to posters that I bother that much.   I want you to enjoy the Colts.com experience, so if ignoring me would help, then please do so.........

Just keep posting. You do a good job and are one of the people on here who usually provides solid, thoughtful commentary. Sometimes you just have to let the petty little posters have their moment and ignore. 

6 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Just keep posting. You do a good job and are one of the people on here who usually provides solid, thoughtful commentary. Sometimes you just have to let the petty little posters have their moment and ignore. 

Thanks so much.    That means a great deal.     Very kind of you to say so.

And you're right of course about the whole ignore thing.    Sometimes its easier said than done.    But I am trying!

Thanks again...   really appreciate it.... 

On 12/14/2017 at 9:52 AM, Dr. T said:

Yeah we are so unlucky!!!! Both Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck went back and played their senior seasons and both fell in our lap! So unlucky we are!!! (Just a little sarcasm) Honestly there are good players there for us. Would I love a franchise LT there for us....sure but those days I think are gone since college football seems to not value pro style offenses.

On 12/14/2017 at 11:10 PM, Dark Superman said:

You obviously need to go watch some Saquon Barkley highlights, my friend.

I know you love the kid but thank God that our evaluators don’t just watch highlights....they watch week in and week out probably every carry he has ever had....and there is plenty to see there where Barkley misses positive yards time and again to help his team in th effort to break out and go for the big play. He doesn’t always grind out hard yards. I’m not a big fan of rbs that constantly looking to take it the distance and leave yards on the field....at least unless they are Barry Sanders and he is no Barry Sanders.

I believe our draft strategy will be put together after a new coaching staff is hired (need to see what their scheme will be on offense and defense) and after the free agency signings.  Then, we'll know what needs to be done with that top pick.  Maybe it will be best to take BPA, or maybe best to trade down and pick up some extra picks.  We need depth and more picks will give us a better chance at improving that depth.  AND, we'll need to know the status of Andrew Luck's recovery, as well as the status of all the other Colts on the IR.  Lots to consider before the draft happens.

25 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't see the defensive scheme changing much.   I can see the offensive scheme change quite a bit.   I think Ballard envisions the Kansas City defense and will look for someone who has a similar view.

My pipe dream for our DC is Vic Fangio from the Bears. He's done pretty well everywhere he's been, and runs a system similar to our current one.

2 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

My pipe dream for our DC is Vic Fangio from the Bears. He's done pretty well everywhere he's been, and runs a system similar to our current one.

I don't know if I see Fangio simply because he's been the DC in Indy before under Mora. Not sure if they bring him back again.

I do think that Saquon Barkley is a generational talent, for his potential at the next level if nothing else. His physical stats are off the chart. A hair under 6’, 235 lbs, and runs a 4.33 40. THAT’S generational physical stats. With some NFL-level coaching his potential is off the charts. Assuming he can stay healthy, of course.