Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Carl Nicks

Moncrief

For all of you cap experts and all of you that want to sign Carl Nicks and all of you in between just read this:http://www.sbnation....cks-jahri-evans

My question is would we have enough $$$ to sign him to a contract with all of our pressing needs and limited cap space.

Well using 8 mill a year (What Evans is making) as a guideline id say we could sign him, but couldnt do much else in FA. Probably just resign Mathis and Garcon. Then we will probably be just at the cap limit with those 3 guys and a few of the smaller contract guys. But we do need a guard desperately and Nicks is one of the best in the game, could very well be worth it.

Well using 8 mill a year (What Evans is making) as a guideline id say we could sign him, but couldnt do much else in FA. Probably just resign Mathis and Garcon. Then we will probably be just at the cap limit with those 3 guys and a few of the smaller contract guys. But we do need a guard desperately and Nicks is one of the best in the game, could very well be worth it.

Oh I know he would be worth every penny but..... would he be worth it.(I know that sounds redundant) Just like you said him along with Mathis and Garcon would be eating up a large portion of our remaining cap and then we have to sign our draft picks.

Brees will be signed up, Nicks will be tagged, Porter will be signed. Colston and Meachem are both gone.

In my own selfish way, if some team can sign Nicks away from the Saints, I would be just as happy, even if it is not the Colts :). Separate the 2 guard tandem of the Saints, Brees' protection and run blocking will not be the same in the middle for his pocket.

The Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Bucs both have the money and need to sign him.

Carl Nicks is the best guard in the NFL, and he's only 26. So he'd be worth every penny. It would probably be our only notable FA move though.

grubbs isnt as good, but with signing him that lets us do more in FA then if we just signed nicks. i also want landry.

Both considerably less talented.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/22/ranking-the-2012-free-agents-guards/

Mathis graded out as the best guard in the league last year. He is not 'considerably less talented' than Carl Nicks....plus with all the attention Nicks gets, he's going to get a monster contract that he almost certainly will not live up too, just based on the fact it will keep him on the same team into his late 30s. Either way though it's probably moot, as Nicks, Mathis, and Grubbs will all probably be retained by their respective teams.

All I know is, if we don't get one of these then Luck is going to get seriously ravaged next season... Manning, if he's still around, will cope with it. Otherwise, we might as well let David Carr have a word with young Andrew.

We can afford Evan Mathis. However, there's no feasable way the Colts could afford either Nicks or Grubbs if they wanted to have any type of activity elsewhere in free agency. Another interesting item to point out is that Chris Myers, one of the highest rated centers last year (from the Texans also) is a free agent. Foster is an RFA, meaning that if he receives offers higher than what the Texans can pay him, he'll be tagged to avoid losing him to free agency, which may very well happen, leaving Myers wide open.

In all honesty I hope Saturday comes back for another season, but if he can't, Myers all the way. Although he made the Pro Bowl this last season, it may not have significant impact for what he'll sign for.

We can afford Evan Mathis. However, there's no feasable way the Colts could afford either Nicks or Grubbs if they wanted to have any type of activity elsewhere in free agency. Another interesting item to point out is that Chris Myers, one of the highest rated centers last year (from the Texans also) is a free agent. Foster is an RFA, meaning that if he receives offers higher than what the Texans can pay him, he'll be tagged to avoid losing him to free agency, which may very well happen, leaving Myers wide open.

In all honesty I hope Saturday comes back for another season, but if he can't, Myers all the way. Although he made the Pro Bowl this last season, it may not have significant impact for what he'll sign for.

If Saturday leaves I'd rather kick Pollak over to Center and bring in Mathis. But I do like Myers quite a bit. Either way though I like the way our Oline could be shaping up with Castonzo and Ijalana both getting a full offseason.

• 3 weeks later...