Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Contract projection for Jack Mewhort

BProland85

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/12/12/16756402/projecting-colts-guard-jack-mewhorts-next-contract

I could see Ballard bringing him back for around 6-7 mil per season, and I also doubt it will be a long term contract due to Mewhort's injury history. Ballard would then need to find a starter at RG and OT to set this OL for 2018. Let's hope he finds a few studs in the draft to help there. 

Just now, csmopar said:

My gut tells me Ballard isnt gonna keep injury prone guys around like his predecessor did.  I think Mewhort is gone.  Besides, there were lots of rumors that Mewhort was considering retiring anyway.

I think you are right. He's also not going to keep any of these players for the sake of continuity.

IF Mewhort did come back, it would on a one-year pillow contract to rebuild his value and prove his health. 

Mewhort is one of the big reasons why I really wanted to see the Colts get involved in the G FA group this past offseason. I didn't want to rely on Mewhort going forward...let alone give him a big extension. And he's just not that good. 

Ideally, they would have signed a G this past offseason...and then let Mewhort walk. Warford made so much sense...as did someone like Cooper as a buy-low. But they stood pat and now they are still stuck at square one.

1 hour ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

We can’t give him starter money with his health issue but what about a one year fair deal with the idea that he might not be more than a quality backup? Are we really sure he is done?

As a backup, game day active player he would require being able to play a 2nd position.
 So you see him as a tackle or center?

The one thing he was rather good at was anchoring, controlling,  the player directly in front of him.
That is all.

And because he is so tall and light weight he had poor leverage. Thus no wonder his knees are trash from anchoring this way.

Quite useless to pull or trap. And also useless in the screen game. Just way to ____ slow.
 He would be a crazy resign, at any price, if healthy. jmo

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/12/12/16756402/projecting-colts-guard-jack-mewhorts-next-contract

I could see Ballard bringing him back for around 6-7 mil per season, and I also doubt it will be a long term contract due to Mewhort's injury history. Ballard would then need to find a starter at RG and OT to set this OL for 2018. Let's hope he finds a few studs in the draft to help there. 

I read that projected contract a couple of days ago and thought it was a terrible projection. The injury , at least the way it's being reported , is way too serious to warrant that kind of commitment.

I'll be amazed if any team gives him 3 years at 21 million with 15 guaranteed. I'll say if he "even plays" , it will be a 1 or 2 year deal at around 4.5 mill per year with around 2 million guaranteed.