Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What the Colts have and still need on D

ty4atd

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Most guys will tell you that there isn’t a benefit to either scheme but there is when it comes to team building through the draft. Most defensive prospects comeing out come from a 4-3 and are more suited for it in the pros.

good point, it is easier to draft DEs than edge rushing Olbs

von miller looked he would do well in a 3-4 when he was in the draft.  clowney made the switch fairly easily too, but both of these guys are good enough to transcend scheme.  

chubb does look like more of a DE, but he might be able to make the switch too

1 hour ago, crunked said:

I am just not convinced you get "Better" play out of Hankins, Woods, Simon, Anderson, and Sheard by switching schemes. Or maybe more correctly stating going from Hybrid to strictly a 4-3......in a simple way to say it.......Someone will have to convince me that we get better play out of those guys with the switch. I don't see it, I see same but different performance and stat totals and results.

Each of those guys has played a lot of very solid FB this season. And could all contribute nicely to a very solid front seven in a 4-3.
 Sheard - age 28 6'2" 255    rushes pretty well and can hold the edge, lacks some discipline- most players do these days

Simon age 27  6'1" 250     a starting strong side lb in a 4-3 and situational pass rusher. He could be solid.

Hankins age 25 6'2" 325   is playing a stout tackle in 3-4 and 4-2   yes replace him in certain pass situations

Al Woods age 30 6'4" 330   also playing well.  I see him as a rotational backup, and can play beside Hankins some and in short yardage. Grover Stewart will compete for PT.

Anderson age 26 6'6" 300  Henry was just starting to kick ___ again. Bummer. Henry Could be a good rotational tackle. Maybe one of the 3rd and long inside rusher. He is decent at that. Have doubts about him long term.
 I am far from counting out Basham from working into Sheards spot. BIGGER and a worker.

Mingo is a FA. He has situational value. i expect they will look in FA at him or his better. 

The CRUX of it.
 We have to add a Quality 4-3 3-4 rush end.  Chubb looks just fine to me. Arden Key, Celine Farrell. Demarcus Lawrence.  Ballard will be looking for a TOP long term prospect in this draft. Few would disagree.
 And i will root for whoever he is able to come up with. lol
 We would have to add a DT that can pressure the QB. A starter quality. We need one now anyway.
 Yip, we need 2 QUALITY lb's that can tackle and cover in our 4-2. What is new.

Will we add all the players you and i would want this off season. Not a chance imo. To many other needs.
 Another draft beyond this one will only help a lot. jmo

ALSO JMO,  Ballard will be wise and thrifty in FA. Would he pay up for a couple younger healthy fits now.

I would think so. Yes a guard. A CB. Maybe that pressuring DT.

But this is more than a 1 yr build to become a SB contender. jmo

So all in all i like these players you are concerned about. Well this was fun for me or i wouldn't have done it.

:spit:  colts 3-13

The Colts have nothing much at all;  they are going to be at the bottom of the division for at least another 5+ years.   :(  

This team needs a complete rebuild from the bottom up;  they have very little ties to top 50 college football let alone top 25!  The starting lineup is filled with players from schools like Grambling, Louisiana College, Mars Hill, Montana State, Harvard,  North Dakota State, Western Kentucky,  Ferris State,  South Florida....  and sure there are plenty of diamonds in that rough; but you can not field an entire team of long shots and expect to prosper!   I used to blame Pagano, but lordy look what he has to work with!      Colts fan welcome to the 1980's .... maybe by 2020 (IF the NFL is still around) they will be competitive again.

12 hours ago, ty4atd said:

So if you see the same performance and results then why would it be going backwards, like you implied, to move from a 3-4 to a 4-3 if the new coaches preferred that system?

Well take this season as an example since many of the guys mentioned were new to the Colts....How did they look the first few weeks as a defense? Why? New scheme?, new setting?, new terminology? maybe a little bit of all of that who knows......I think its safe to say it was a new situation to all of them on some level, for some maybe many levels....changing things would recreate that same situation (or at least potentially could) and most probably would to some degree, so we would have to endure it a second time, and at this point we are past it.......and the D is improving....hence "going backwards" or if you would like to split hairs, "not moving forward" .

Lets see of the guys I mentioned Hankins has been fine from the get go and has already played his best years in a 4-3. Simon played great early then the injuries happened, Scheard has played better now than earlier but since he's already gone from 4-3 to 3-4 back and back again he's the one I have the most confidence in making the switch. Woods and Anderson are the only ? outside of the ones we already have, but since we play a hybrid lots of times they are lined up the same way they would in a 4-3. Early in the year the secondary was brutal (minus Hooker and Melvin) but 3-4 or 4-3 same for them, and the ILBs sucked and still do so need an upgrade either way. The bottom line is either 3-4 or 4-3 better coaching and better talent is what the D needs. 

On 12/16/2017 at 1:19 AM, ty4atd said:

That would be great but this isn't Madden you can't just build a team with great players at every spot. Our OLBs are decent just need depth so they can rotate and they aren't dead by then end of the game. 3 ILBs aren't needed Morrison Bostic or Walker can be decent backups, 1 is NEEDED and 2 would be very nice. With all the other needs a 2nd CB, pass rush depth, the OL, another WR and RB 4 linebackers just isn't happening. For 2018 I think the best we can hope for on D is a new rookie ILB to go with a vet in FA and either a depth OLB on day 2 of the draft or a new top dog at the top of round 1. Even with 2 new starters at LB either 2 ILB or 1 ILB and 1 OLB and actually staying semi healthy I think the D will improve big time.  

I mostly agree. The reason I said 4 is because (I think) Bostic is a FA this offseason. If they re-sign him, then I suppose my hope is that it is only for depth.

If Indy doesn't trade down, I'd be taking a long look at Chubb if I were them. 

I can definitely see your point, given the needs at OL and CB, but I really hope we don't go into 2018 with Bostic and a rookie at ILB.