Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano's Monday Presser.....

NewColtsFan

I'm not much of a Mike Wells guy,  but I think this is a pretty good write-up of Chuck's Monday press conference.

And he talks about his job status among other things....

One thing jumped out of me.     Pags is finishing up his 6th year.     That makes him the 8th most tenured head coach in the NFL.     The turnover at the top is amazing.....

Anyway.....   all things considered,  I thought it was an interesting read....

Three more weeks to go.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21742684/chuck-pagano-indianapolis-colts-not-focused-job-status-good

Interesting that he agrees with what a lot of us here have been saying, which is that Luck masked a lot of this team’s flaws the first 3 seasons. I’d take it a step further though and say that last season proved that Luck can only do but so much.

I think Pagano knows he won’t be back. If there was ever a nail in the coffin, his FG blunder this past weekend was it. Like I said in another topic, the season finale against the Texans is going to be interesting.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Interesting that he agrees with what a lot of us here have been saying, which is that Luck masked a lot of this team’s flaws the first 3 seasons. I’d take it a step further though and say that last season proved that Luck can only do but so much.

I think Pagano knows he won’t be back. If there was ever a nail in the coffin, his FG blunder this past weekend was it. Like I said in another topic, the season finale against the Texans is going to be interesting.

I’ve always respected Chuck Pagano as a man. As a coach, he’s made his mistakes, as have other winning head coaches (I.e. last night’s onside “kick” from Bill Belicheck).

But, as the article states, he’s  19-26 from the playoffs on. Without Luck, without a dynamic pass-rusher, a healthy Oline, a playmaker at ILB, their first round draft pick and with a bunch of inexperienced players and FAs that never played together. But this is a business and the record is what it is. Even though the Colts made a specific statement about a decision not being based on the record, perhaps a change will be good, eventually. I just think Pagano gets WAY too much criticism, given the circumstances.

If he is to blame, he should get credit for some things that have improved:  special teams, better run D, the running game and depth. Brissett is gaining experience and in today’s NFL, a good backup QB is huge.

Now, one  could argue a bunch of the sacks given up are on Brissett. He has a long way to go but has flashes of being dependable. He needs this experience to make him a better, should Luck go down (God forbid). So, at least, that’s something. Add 2 Oline players and that could be a strength next year. 

Hopefully, a great draft and some dynamic FAs and next year will be a lot more fun than this year!

GO COLTS!!!

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

But this is a business and the record is what it is. Even though the Colts made a specific statement about a decision not being based on the record, perhaps a change will be good, eventually. 

To be fair, a lot of the criticisms have to do with things other than just the record. Some criticism too much, but a lot of it is completely fair. So I think even if Irsay/Ballard do look at everything beyond just our W-L's, they still have a very reasonable case to let him go.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

To be fair, a lot of the criticisms have to do with things other than just the record. Some criticism too much, but a lot of it is completely fair. So I think even if Irsay/Ballard do look at everything beyond just our W-L's, they still have a very reasonable case to let him go.

Exactly. There were coaching issues even back when we were going 11-5.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Exactly. There were coaching issues even back when we were going 11-5.

we were getting wins against crappy division rivals

chucks overall record outside the division has never been good.  we had a few wins, but even more bad losses

26 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we were getting wins against crappy division rivals

chucks overall record outside the division has never been good.  we had a few wins, but even more bad losses

Yeah. Pagano's record is solid on paper for sure but put some context to it, the record inside vs outside the division...it at least gets debatable if his record is a little inflated.

18 minutes ago, will426 said:

Adjustment issues have been a severe issue for years..we just don’t adjust regardless of the situation and grigson is gone and it continues falls on him and HIS Staff

My #1 complaint on the entire staff is their collective inability to make in-game adjustments. Coach Dungy spoiled me!

7 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I’ve always respected Chuck Pagano as a man. As a coach, he’s made his mistakes, as have other winning head coaches (I.e. last night’s onside “kick” from Bill Belicheck).

But, as the article states, he’s  19-26 from the playoffs on. Without Luck, without a dynamic pass-rusher, a healthy Oline, a playmaker at ILB, their first round draft pick and with a bunch of inexperienced players and FAs that never played together. But this is a business and the record is what it is. Even though the Colts made a specific statement about a decision not being based on the record, perhaps a change will be good, eventually. I just think Pagano gets WAY too much criticism, given the circumstances.

If he is to blame, he should get credit for some things that have improved:  special teams, better run D, the running game and depth. Brissett is gaining experience and in today’s NFL, a good backup QB is huge.

Now, one  could argue a bunch of the sacks given up are on Brissett. He has a long way to go but has flashes of being dependable. He needs this experience to make him a better, should Luck go down (God forbid). So, at least, that’s something. Add 2 Oline players and that could be a strength next year. 

Hopefully, a great draft and some dynamic FAs and next year will be a lot more fun than this year!

GO COLTS!!!

The main problem was Grigson. He also had control over the roster. I like everything you to wrote here. I wouldn’t be mad if Pagano was given one more shoot with a healthy Luck. Our defense has improved tremendously as well.

Chuck has done a horrible job of putting a staff together. If Grigson had a heavy hand at putting the first staff together Chuck had an opportunity upgrade the staff two years ago and did not do a good job. He changed D-Coordinators and blew it big time with Monticino. He has two terrible Coordinators and that is why you see no second half adjustments. If Chuck lands a HCing gig in the future I hope he has learned that a good staff is everything to a HC.

4 hours ago, GoColtsWin said:

My #1 complaint on the entire staff is their collective inability to make in-game adjustments. Coach Dungy spoiled me!

I respect coach Dungy but he had a healthy Manning making half those adjustments.

Losing Luck meant some of the chances for last second audibles were gone as well.

As far as defense; how many times did we hear how they had to make things simpler for the young guys. And how they had to manufacture a pass rush, because they just didn’t have a “Von Miller” type of player. An inefficient offense mandates that the D is out there longer. 

Give them a pass rush, a playmaker at ILB, a solid Oline and some vets returning and Colts will be okay. 

22 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

GO COLTS!!!

All true!

Chucks a great person and an outstanding secondary coach! Being an NFL head coach is not an easy task, he gave it his best and with Luck on his shoulder we were rather successful, but since Luck's absence it is very clear that he is in over his head.  

On 12/12/2017 at 7:51 AM, coltsfeva said:

GO COLTS!!!

Sorry, but you are giving him credit for Ballard's job.