Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson played well

zvich

This is the best possible scenario for Wilson. You want him to face the music before the end of the season. Never having seen top competition, he would have gone into 2018  with a lot of questions. We'll see how he holds up over the next three games. Desir's injury is Wilson's chance to shine. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Hoose said:

This is the best possible scenario for Wilson. You want him to face the music before the end of the season. Never having seen top competition, he would have gone into 2018  with a lot of questions. We'll see how he holds up over the next three games. Desir's injury is Wilson's chance to shine. 

Yeah, but it is not like his understanding level jumped up 3 notches after Desir's injury. I shake my head with Pagano and his coaches on this. I have a hard time seeing why he wasn't out there for the Jags game before Desir's injury, with Melvin being a scratch. I can understand when either Melvin or Vontae were there but not after that.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:33 PM, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth....

Within football circles, the rule of thumb regarding terrible weather is that it favors the offense over the defense?

Why?

Because with bad footing,  the offense is going forward and the players know where they want to go.

The defense is going backwards first,  and doesn't know where the offensive players are going and have to react.   And reacting on a slippery field is a nightmare.        

So, I don't think you can say the bad weather made DB's look good.     

I disagree, offense, especially receivers rely on quick cuts to get open.  RB's rely on them to find the hole quickly.  Know where you want to go or not, a quick cut is nearly impossible in snow.

In rain the football is also harder to hold onto.

I don't think your view that it favors the offense over the defense is reflected on the scoreboard.

41 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I disagree, offense, especially receivers rely on quick cuts to get open.  RB's rely on them to find the hole quickly.  Know where you want to go or not, a quick cut is nearly impossible in snow.

In rain the football is also harder to hold onto.

I don't think your view that it favors the offense over the defense is reflected on the scoreboard.

It's not my view.

It's the view of coaches, players and others in the NFL.      And it has been since I started following football 50 years ago.

Remember,  I'm not saying the offense has it easy.     Just a little bit.....  easier.

Maybe not by a lot....    but by enough...

37 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

He looked slow to me tonight..

Definitely looked like a rookie.

He didn't only look slow; he was slow.  So you are spot on about that sir.

He got worked tonight.  D. Thomas made him look silly.  They were playing different games. 

Tough match-up for Wilson, given Thomas' speed.  Wilson just could not stay with him while playing press man.  Bad technique; penalties.  Yikes. 

I know Wilson isn't a burner, but you have to be able to make up for that with either great technique, physicality, etc.  I hope Wilson is both 1) out of shape and 2) still a little dinged up.

If he isn't both of those things, he's got a long way to go to deserve a spot in the lineup. 

I only watched the first half but D Thomas owned the kid.  Caught nearly every ball that went his way and if he didn't he was usually drawing a PI penalty.

D Thomas is a tough draw for a rookie with as little playing time as Wilson.  Sanders would have also been a tough draw too.  The Bronoco's do have a good pair of WR who are both basically #1's.  

There's a good chance that Wilson can be a decent #2 CB if posted against a receiver that is more of a #2 caliber.  We will have to see.

I think the Ravens are up next and I don't think they have a lot of talent at WR.  If Wilson still looks bad against Baltimore then while I would give him another year it's worthwhile to question if Wilson can play at this level.  If he can hold his own against the Ravens receivers then maybe there is something there and you can chaulk this bad game up to being a rookie with very few games under his belt and being overmatched against one of the better receivers in the NFL. 

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He got schooled last night for sure.  Easy to see how Desir and Melvin beat him out.  Moore as well.  You would hope he improves his play in the last two games. 

The first half he did, the second half he got a penalty, I think??? However, the Broncos used Demaryius Thomas' side to get Butler to lean to them twice resulting in a Brock rushing TD before the half and then the TD throw to the TE. Butler was caught leaning too much, either he was out of position both times or felt he had to protect the rookie, not sure which one it was.

Stephen Holder gave Quincy a Thumbs Up from last night

Thumbs up

>> CBs Quincy Wilson, Kenny Moore: Look, if you’re expecting perfection from this pair, you’re not being fair. It was an up-and-down performance at times, but on the whole, you have to like what this pair has to offer.

Wilson, in particular, is showing tremendous growth. Last week, he took on Buffalo’s Kelvin Benjamin in the snow. This week, he covered Denver standout Demaryius Thomas for the game’s duration and acquitted himself nicely.

Wilson gave up a key third-down pass in the first quarter after biting on a double move from Thomas. He also was flagged for defensive holding in the second quarter. But the bigger takeaway should be the physicality Wilson showed and the competitive fire with which he plays. That’s something that can take

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/12/15/colts-thumbs-up-down-young-players-wilson-travis-take-center-stage/943970001/

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

The first half he did, the second half he got a penalty, I think??? However, the Broncos used Demaryius Thomas' side to get Butler to lean to them twice resulting in a Brock rushing TD before the half and then the TD throw to the TE. Butler was caught leaning too much, either he was out of position both times or felt he had to protect the rookie, not sure which one it was.

yea, you are correct, i think they called the penalty on the wrong jersey #, but it was he who committed the sin

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

Never liked the Wilson pick and continue to question Ballard's decision to take Wilson in the second round. I just don't see it. He would be the fourth or fifth on the depth chart on most NFL teams IMO.

Totally wrong view but its yours I guess

4 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Never liked the Wilson pick and continue to question Ballard's decision to take Wilson in the second round. I just don't see it. He would be the fourth or fifth on the depth chart on most NFL teams IMO.

I don't know why you hold that view?    He was projected to be a low first or high second round pick.   Think he was picked 42nd overall so he was a good value where he went.    He had great physical tools and backed it up with good play in the field.

Are you sure you're not confusing him with Wilson's college CB teammate, Tabor?    He tested very poorly and went about a round  or so later...

Wilson was great today. Didn't notice him much at first, which is good for a Corner. He's got a loooong way to go, but he certainly has shown he's got what it takes to be a player on this defense. Excited to see what he brings for the last game, and more importantly, next season. Year 2 is when most players do take the biggest leap after all......

On 12/12/2017 at 3:47 PM, JaguarsWoman said:

If this is the case, you have tol wonder if Chris Ballard drafted Quincy Wilson without talking to Chuck Pagano about it. The coach is supposed to tell the GM, "I like/dislike this guy and here's why." If that kind of conversation happened, it probably should have ended with Pagano and Ballard agreeing on Quincy Wilson's work ethic.

Ballard isn't taking advice from a guy he knows he is going to fire at seasons end.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Ballard isn't taking advice from a guy he knows he is going to fire at seasons end.

You haven't been around much but perhaps you haven't noticed.

Whatever the coaches have done with Wilson,  it's being done with Ballard's approval.     Ballard hasn'ts aid a negative word,  and the coaches didn't change their approach with him.     Ballard isn't going to let the coaches mess with Wilson if he thinks the coaches are giving the kid a raw deal.

Maybe you might want to consider that Ballard has approved of what the staff has done and Wilson will be a better player as a result of it.       And yes,  I expect Pagano to be fired on Black Monday.     And I'll be fine with it.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:20 AM, zibby43 said:

He didn't only look slow; he was slow.  So you are spot on about that sir.

He got worked tonight.  D. Thomas made him look silly.  They were playing different games. 

Tough match-up for Wilson, given Thomas' speed.  Wilson just could not stay with him while playing press man.  Bad technique; penalties.  Yikes. 

I know Wilson isn't a burner, but you have to be able to make up for that with either great technique, physicality, etc.  I hope Wilson is both 1) out of shape and 2) still a little dinged up.

If he isn't both of those things, he's got a long way to go to deserve a spot in the lineup. 

wth you mean quincy was all thomas he only allowed 4 catches for 40 yards the rest was on the nickle and the other cb learn your facts

4 minutes ago, Indy1996 said:

wth you mean quincy was all thomas he only allowed 4 catches for 40 yards the rest was on the nickle and the other cb learn your facts

Well, Thomas only had 8 targets the entire game, and caught 5 of them.  For 69 yards.

PFF grades him out at a 59.6 ("poor"), putting him as the #85-best CB in the NFL.

You're welcome to fact-check my facts.  Have a good one.

8 hours ago, stitches said:

Pretty good game for Quincy. I wish we had a coaching staff that trusted the good rookies rather than the Morrisons and TJ Greens of the world. 

He was targeted once and gave up a reception.  The Ravens were throwing a lot of short throws targeting our linebackers.  I saw him in on a lot of tackles after the catch though.  Just like the snow game not a real good test with the terrible weather and the Ravens receivers are nothing to write home about.  He has a long way to go to displace our current starters.  At least he's playing and trying.  One more game to go.

6 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Well, Thomas only had 8 targets the entire game, and caught 5 of them.  For 69 yards.

PFF grades him out at a 59.6 ("poor"), putting him as the #85-best CB in the NFL.

You're welcome to fact-check my facts.  Have a good one.

Wilson's PFF grade is higher than 59.6- it's actually 75.1, placing him 61st out of 120 qualifying CB's (and it was higher than 59.6 coming into yesterday; it was 71).  He's clearly had some VERY down moments this season, the Broncos' game in particular plus his over-sized ego (theorizing) which was angering the coaching staff, not to mention alienating him, and made them make him him a healthy scratch for the better part of two months.  But when he's played he's demonstrated hopefulness for 2018.  His coverage has been mixed (really good yesterday) and his tackling has been consistently strong.

Others can say that they weren't targeting him yesterday but that's a CB's job and that reflects well on him.  And many times I saw  Flacco look in his direction at the start of a play and quickly turn his head elsewhere and target someone else.

1 hour ago, Fan in Austin said:

Wilson's PFF grade is higher than 59.6- it's actually 75.1, placing him 61st out of 120 qualifying CB's (and it was higher than 59.6 coming into yesterday; it was 71).  He's clearly had some VERY down moments this season, the Broncos' game in particular plus his over-sized ego (theorizing) which was angering the coaching staff, not to mention alienating him, and made them make him him a healthy scratch for the better part of two months.  But when he's played he's demonstrated hopefulness for 2018.  His coverage has been mixed (really good yesterday) and his tackling has been consistently strong.

Others can say that they weren't targeting him yesterday but that's a CB's job and that reflects well on him.  And many times I saw  Flacco look in his direction at the start of a play and quickly turn his head elsewhere and target someone else.

Yes Flacko did a nice job looking off his receivers to hold the safeties and linebackers.

4 hours ago, Fan in Austin said:

When I pulled that grade this morning, it wasn't updated to reflect the Ravens' game.  I have the screen shot. 

Anyway, in my OP, I never said he was a bust or hopeless.  It was just my honest reaction to his play in the Broncos game.  My main takeaway was that he looked overmatched speed-wise.  More overmatched than I thought he would look irrespective of the fact he's not a speed guy.

So everyone does realize that he is a rookie right? And everyone does realize this was pretty much his 4th or 5th game with true playing time? Does everyone expect him to step up and be an all pro in one of the hardest positions in the nfl straight off the bat? He had one bad half in Denver against a pro bowl veteran receiver and some people are labeling him a bust. He has impressed me and I look forward to seeing what he does against Hopkins next week. But ya know even if he does shut down Hopkins people will still say it's only because he face savage

7 minutes ago, twfish said:

So everyone does realize that he is a rookie right? And everyone does realize this was pretty much his 4th or 5th game with true playing time? Does everyone expect him to step up and be an all pro in one of the hardest positions in the nfl straight off the bat? He had one bad half in Denver against a pro bowl veteran receiver and some people are labeling him a bust. He has impressed me and I look forward to seeing what he does against Hopkins next week. But ya know even if he does shut down Hopkins people will still say it's only because he face savage

I don't know if you were referring to me or not but I've remained very patient with him.  I've also acknowledged that he has been given limited opportunities and that he may still be a little dinged up.

That said, when a guy is your second round pick, you expect some productivity and consistent flashes of potential out of him.

He didn't get off to a great start by coming into camp woefully out of shape.  Not very professional.

Still, there's time.

35 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I don't know if you were referring to me or not but I've remained very patient with him.  I've also acknowledged that he has been given limited opportunities and that he may still be a little dinged up.

That said, when a guy is your second round pick, you expect some productivity and consistent flashes of potential out of him.

He didn't get off to a great start by coming into camp woefully out of shape.  Not very professional.

Still, there's time.

No I was not directly referring to you, there's a large crowd. Coming into camp "out of shape" is very common for most rookies since most are training for the combine so that's a different kind Of in shape. He has been productive when given the chance but it's still a small sample size.