Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Snow Games

Lucky Colts Fan

I know some people will disagree with me, but playing in the snow is the BEST kind of football.  If it snowed when I was a kid, I was on the phone calling everyone in the neighborhood to get their gear so we could go play.  

Snow games are my favorite games.  The Ice Bowl.  The Snowplow Game (RIP Ron Meyer).  Vinnys' kick(s) against the Raiders in the snow (which he almost replicated today).  That Colts game in Buffalo was probably one of my favorite Colts games.  Ever.  I don't even care that we lost because it's kind of a lost season at this point (and our draft position got a little better).  I'm glad that Gore got another 100+ yd game, that will have to be the cherry on top since the Doyle 2-pt conversion was negated...  :flaming:

In the 1st quarter, I was actually hoping I was going to see my first 0-0 tie now that OT is 5 min shorter.  I was hoping we weren't going to see a single attempt at a punt, FG, or even shotgun snap.  It even crossed my mind that we might actually see a game, in todays' NFL, without a single pass attempt.

The SB should be played at Lambeau every year.  Or Buffalo.  Or wherever there is going to be the most snow.  :D

You got my vote:)

There actually is strategy in dealing with certain elements.

BB told Brady to throw angles in two blizzard games and they scored 45pts+/- in both games.(one was in Chicago)

Today's game wasn't a blizzard. Just a lot of snow.

I clicked on this just knowing that it was going to be the topic that's posted every year, that snow hurts the game, that snow prevents the best team from winning etc. What a pleasant suprise lol! I won't go as far as to say that it's my favorite kind of football but there's definitely something special about snow games. 

There are two things that define football for me:

1.  It is a balance between brute power, technique, and strategy.  It is kind of like war in that respect, but without all the killing.

2.  It is an all-weather game.

It used to be that, in order to be successful, you couldn't build your team too much toward any one thing.  You had to find a balance between power and speed that would maximize your ability to win in the largest variety of conditions that you were most likely to face.  With the way that the rules have been modified to favor speed and the passing game over defense and the power running game, teams that build in favor of the power side of the game are at a disadvantage.  That has forced teams to focus on speed and passing in order to compete, but it diminishes the ability of teams to function in less-than-ideal conditions.  So when you have these extreme bad-weather games, they tend to not be very good games.  I think that leads to the sentiment that snow/rain/mud/etc. ruin the game when, in actuality, I think the rule changes have ruined the ability of the game to function as well in those conditions.  They have taken an all-weather game and put rules in place that encourage organizations to build their teams so that they can't function in all weather conditions.

With that said, nothing will get me to turn on a game that I would normally ignore like a good snowstorm.  I so wanted to be able to watch this game today.

On a side note, the first time that I ever saw Randy Moss play was in the MAC Championship game between Marshall and Toledo.  The game was played in a snowstorm.  They were doing everything they could just to keep the sidelines, goal lines, and 20-yard lines visible.  Moss lit up the Toledo defense.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh, I think today's game was interesting and all that, and the extreme amount of snow and wind made it even more unpredictable. But generally, I'd rather not see a game played in a foot of snow, especially if the game actually counts for something. 

Its the kind of thing you like to see once a season, and preferably not involving your team! haha

Snow games, because of slow foot speed, if you see a sliver of separation, you gun it and put it on the numbers, especially slants and quick outs, don't anticipate they will get too much farther than where they are. I saw Brissett miss TY on an easy slant when TY had already separated, that is when it dawned on me.

But then, it is not like you practice every day in snow but if you have to learn how to play in it, look at Brady and what he did early on in his career.

12 hours ago, aaron11 said:

this game was just boring to watch until it got sort of interesting at the end of regulation 

the overtime was pretty bad too

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Meh, I think today's game was interesting and all that, and the extreme amount of snow and wind made it even more unpredictable. But generally, I'd rather not see a game played in a foot of snow, especially if the game actually counts for something. 

I guess I'm just old-school.  I'm probably one of the only people that would still watch football if they got rid of the forward-pass.  haha

The Manning years were fun, but frustrating because our defense gave up almost as many points and stats as Manning accumulated.  I like it when my team scores, but when the other team scores, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Both teams sprinting up and down an indoor field scoring points over and over again gets on my nerves.  It's basically a basketball game nowadays; whoever has the ball last can hold it until the last second and then score the winning TD/FG.

Snow games take me back to when football was football, not a combination of track and basketball.  :D

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I guess I'm just old-school.  I'm probably one of the only people that would still watch football if they got rid of the forward-pass.  haha

The Manning years were fun, but frustrating because our defense gave up almost as many points and stats as Manning accumulated.  I like it when my team scores, but when the other team scores, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.  Both teams sprinting up and down an indoor field scoring points over and over again gets on my nerves.  It's basically a basketball game nowadays; whoever has the ball last can hold it until the last second and then score the winning TD/FG.

Snow games take me back to when football was football, not a combination of track and basketball.  :D

LOL No fwd pass. That's got to be before your time.  I'd watch it too. :)