Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Way to Describe the 2017 Colts

Chrisaaron1023

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theoretically, we should be better off for suffering through this.

New coaching staff, and hopefully a healthy Andrew Luck. 

To be honest, a healthy Luck would have probably led us to a 10 win season, and next season would have been more of the same. The Colts needed this off-year. 

At this point I'm all for competitive games and the Colts lose. We have everything to gain by having a higher draft pick in every round. Hopefully and I mean hopefully we can finally get a coach here that can get us to the Super Bowl multiple times. It all starts with Ballard see what he will do in free agency and in the draft. We have good players we need great players in key positions. We need a monsterous inside linebacker and a dynamic pass-rushing outside linebacker. And for goodness sakes can we finally fix the offensive line

I agree about the need for new leadership. With that being said however, I don't think you can blame today's loss to Buffalo on the leadership . To put it mildly, " WE WAS ROBBED !!" Our 2 point conversion won us the game until the umps cooked up an excuse to take it away from us. Even the announcers pointed out that there could be no interference call within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage. Combine that that with the several minutes that it took for the "interference " to be called by the officials, and it became obvious that the call was bogus ! In the words of Popeye, "I yam disgustipated !":

14 minutes ago, Thorolf said:

I agree about the need for new leadership. With that being said however, I don't think you can blame today's loss to Buffalo on the leadership . To put it mildly, " WE WAS ROBBED !!" Our 2 point conversion won us the game until the umps cooked up an excuse to take it away from us. Even the announcers pointed out that there could be no interference call within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage. Combine that that with the several minutes that it took for the "interference " to be called by the officials, and it became obvious that the call was bogus ! In the words of Popeye, "I yam disgustipated !":

Times like these I miss Polian. He would’ve had someone’s head over this. People didn’t like that he complained so much but when you get jobbed like this you want some heads to roll

17 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

At this point I'm all for competitive games and the Colts lose. We have everything to gain by having a higher draft pick in every round. Hopefully and I mean hopefully we can finally get a coach here that can get us to the Super Bowl multiple times. It all starts with Ballard see what he will do in free agency and in the draft. We have good players we need great players in key positions. We need a monsterous inside linebacker and a dynamic pass-rushing outside linebacker. And for goodness sakes can we finally fix the offensive line

They've been talking about the offensive coordinator for KC. But he has no head coaching experience so that scares me. 

21 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I agree, but I've been saying this since before the start of the season. 

Doomed from start...  

Irsay chasing Gruden & leaving us stuck with Chuck for another year rather than getting a new coach along with the GM & thus getting a head start on our future, no Luck... 

yeah. Doomed from the start ( and I’m talking offseason not game 1 which was a disaster in and of itself...).

7 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Doomed from start...  

Irsay chasing Gruden & leaving us stuck with Chuck for another year rather than getting a new coach along with the GM & thus getting a head start on our future, no Luck... 

yeah. Doomed from the start ( and I’m talking offseason not game 1 which was a disaster in and of itself...).

Yeah, maybe James Franco should have put Irsay in his new movie The Disaster Artist. 

19 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Doomed from start...  

What coach would’ve been better that was available? You blamed Irsay for trying to get Gruden and blamed him for not getting rid of Pagano. So, who was available?

6 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Does luck play d too?

Really? We gave up 13 points today? Do you really think we lose to the Cards who we gave up 16 points too in a game we were up 10 with Luck, Titans who we gave up 20 too in a game we were up by 10, Pitt who we gave up 20 too in a game we were up by 14. I can go and on dude. What kind of question is that? Does Luck play Defense? Have you watched our games this year? - that is more of a legit question. Our D had been Good in a lot of games and with Luck it's obvious we win these games because we score more points which helps the Defense. Don't be a Troll! If you think we are 3-10 with Luck you are being a bit silly.

About that penalty...

I thought I saw it like this...Brissett drops back, steps forward like he's about to run, enough so that the line, and Aiken (who the penalty was called on) started to block.

Then Brissett passes to Doyle with Aiken caught in the act. I get that it was a late call, but I remember thinking something looked off during the play.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was within 1 yard of LOS.

10 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

What coach would’ve been better that was available? You blamed Irsay for trying to get Gruden and blamed him for not getting rid of Pagano. So, who was available?

I would have taken McDaniels.  Regardless, if he had fired Grigs & Chuck immediately we could have went after McVey, McDaniels, maybe even reached out to Shanahan.  My point was by hesitating we lost.  But by bringing in a new coach and system, we may have still struggled this year but players could have taken this year to learn a new system. Even Luck could have been in the playbook while not playing. 

Now, they’ll all have to wait until next year to learn the new system. So that could actually negatively affect us next year.  So the problem could actually compound itself.  That’s what bad organizations do and my fear is we’re regressing back to that.  And bringing back Chuck next year (for continuity or fear of making the change and having to learn a new system) is basically throwing bad money at a lost cause.  It’s time for a change.

I’m no fan of Gruden. So in my opinion Irsay chasing Gruden was him going for style over substance. I’m really beginning to question Irsay’s decision making.  I just hope we get it right this offseason because I do believe that with the right coaches we’ll be highly competitive and be right back contending for AFC supremacy. 

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

About that penalty some are mad about...

I thought I saw it like this...Brissett drops back, steps forward like he's about to run, enough so that the line, and Aiken (who the penalty was called on) started to block.

Then Brissett passes to Doyle, while Aiken's still blocking his guy. Is that not OPI?

Until the QB passes the line of scrimmage he still has the option to pass. It happened within one yard of the line of scrimmage regardless. It was a bad call.

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I would have taken McDaniels.  Regardless, if he had fired Grigs & Chuck immediately we could have went after McVey, McDaniels, maybe even reached out to Shanahan.  My point was by hesitating we lost.  But by bringing in a new coach and system, we may have still struggled this year but players could have taken this year to learn a new system. Even Luck could have been in the playbook while not playing. 

Now, they’ll all have to wait until next year to learn the new system. So that could actually negatively affect us next year.  So the problem could actually compound itself.  That’s what bad organizations do and my fear is we’re regressing back to that.  And bringing back Chuck next year (for continuity or fear of making the change and having to learn a new system) is basically throwing bad money at a lost cause.  It’s time for a change.

I’m no fan of Gruden. So in my opinion Irsay chasing Gruden was him going for style over substance. I’m really beginning to question Irsay’s decision making.  I just hope we get it right this offseason because I do believe that with the right coaches we’ll be highly competitive and be right back contending for AFC supremacy. 

So you would’ve hired a 30 year old with no coaching experience? Sorry, I don’t buy it. And McDaniels wasn’t a good head coach. He’s one of those types that’s a better coordinator than coach. Shanahans even worse.

At the time there wasn’t any proven better choice to risk it on, especially when the cause of our problems wasn’t 100% clear (Grigson).

And even if we get a new coach we won’t be contending for a SB for at least 3 or 4 years.

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Without Luck what did everyone expect, with him we would be 8-5 or 9-4. How come people cant understand when you lose a player of that magnitude you still think we should win every week?   

I hear ya man. Fans overrate their own teams all the time. I had an "argument" with somebody on here before the season started who said we could win 9 games with Tolzien this year because the D was "vastly improved".

4 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I hear ya man. Fans overrate their own teams all the time. I had an "argument" with somebody on here before the season started who said we could win 9 games with Tolzien this year because the D was "vastly improved".

I know, I don't get it. Of course Andrew only plays Offense but what he does on Offense affects how the Defense plays = the pressure they have on them to get stops. I am convinced with Andrew we are above .500 at worse. We have lost like 5 extremely close games that Andrew would've put away.

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Exactly. I knew this season was a lost cause. I just wanted to see some development on our younger guys so we could know what we have for next year.

anyone who had high hopes was mistaken.

22 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

So you would’ve hired a 30 year old with no coaching experience? Sorry, I don’t buy it. And McDaniels wasn’t a good head coach. He’s one of those types that’s a better coordinator than coach. Shanahans even worse.

At the time there wasn’t any proven better choice to risk it on, especially when the cause of our problems wasn’t 100% clear (Grigson).

And even if we get a new coach we won’t be contending for a SB for at least 3 or 4 years.

McDaniels failed in his first try. So did Belichick.  He deserves a chance more than or at least as much as Chuck does...  Sure Chuck went 11-5 riding Luck’s coattails through the worst division in football. Then 8-8 without him & him injured.  McDaniels went 8-8 with Jay Cutler...  

Give him Luck & a weak division & I believe he could match what Chuck has done.  Regardless, he was young then & has learned from his mistakes.  Give me him & Schiano as DC or Bowles if the Jets fire him and we’ll be a playoff team next year with Luck & better than 3 wins this season with JB.  The Rams & Eagles are proof that it can be so...  

Just not for us with Chuck as HC.  He can’t get those easy 6 divisions wins to boost his record anymore...  Reality has caught up with him.  And it’s time Irsay realizes it...  JB could have been running McDaniels’ system this year (a system he knows) & Luck could have been studying it.  Ready to hit the ground running next year and taking over for Brady as the best QB in the AFC next year.  Which is where his talent was taking him &  I truly believe that is/was a strong possibility for us with McDaniels at the helm...

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

McDaniels failed in his first try. So did Belichick.  He deserves a chance more than or at least as much as Chuck does...  Sure Chuck went 11-5 riding Luck’s coattails through the worst division in football. Then 8-8 without him & him injured.  McDaniels went 8-8 with Jay Cutler...  

Give him Luck & a weak division & I believe he could match what Chuck has done.  Regardless, he was young then & has learned from his mistakes.  Give me him & Schiano as DC or Bowles if the Jets fire him and we’ll be a playoff team next year with Luck & better than 3 wins this season.  The Rams & Eagles are proof that it can be so...  

Just not for us with Chuck as HC.  He can’t get those easy 6 divisions wins to boost his record anymore...  Reality has caught up with him.  And it’s time Irsay realizes it...

Yea he may have gone 8-8 with Cutler, but then he went 3-9 and was fired, in case you forgot to include that. Also, pretty sure he didn’t have 31 players on IR  to contend with as well.

Also not sure if you can really call our division weak. Jags run game and D are legit contenders. Texans are a few injuries away from leading the division. AFC South is on the upswing.

37 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Until the QB passes the line of scrimmage he still has the option to pass. It happened within one yard of the line of scrimmage regardless. It was a bad call.

Not a bad call.    

The absolutely wrong call.  

What is an NFL team supposed to do if the refs don't know the rules?  

The Pats run this play all the time and never get called.  

Actually a lot of teams do.  

I actually do think the fix was in on this game.  That was a common play.

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Yea he may have gone 8-8 with Cutler, but then he went 3-9 and was fired, in case you forgot to include that. Also, pretty sure he didn’t have 31 players on IR  to contend with as well.

Also not sure if you can really call our division weak. Jags run game and D are legit contenders. Texans are a few injuries away from leading the division. AFC South is on the upswing.

I did say he failed.  And I did say our division is no longer weak.  Thus Chuck can no longer get those 6 wins to pad his stats.  He’s having to earn them all through game planning and preparation now and he’s failing.  And lack of talent and injuries are excuses.  We had leads in many games this year. 

Call the right plays and we win those and Chuck could have a case for retention without the need for excuses.  Chuck & staff have no idea how to game plan and make in game adjustments and we get outcoached far to regularly now.  Luck isn’t here to bail us out. It’s on Chuck and his staff and none are proving up to the task...  

They occasionally have a good gameplan but more often than not it’s only for a half without any adjustments ready.  Or it’s 2-3 times a year like the Titans, Vikings, & Jets games last year...  I’m tired of being mediocre & using talent as an excuse.  It’s coaching that’s the problem.