Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sucking it up, update.... We are batting #3 (at least for the moment)

BlueShoe

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The only ones that mattered in the trade back was luck and RG3 there is more top of the 1st talent in this draft 

Cousins and Wilson were both taken way later

thats true

i dont think anyone will trade as much for any qb this year as the skins did for rg3.  we probably could have gotten even more for luck, 

On 12/10/2017 at 4:56 PM, krunk said:

If we couldn't win this Bill game its hard for me to see us win anything else. Offense is too pedestrian.

Calling our offense pedestrian is being very kind... anemic, pedestrian and horrible are all "soft" descriptions.

Regardless of how we decide to label the offense, it is unfortunate that we lose for the same reasons every single freaking week (order is insignificant) but here:

1.  Mistakes (missed assignments) or penalties during crucial moments of the game.  That is all three phases ST, O, D

2.  Allowing too many big plays.  For crying out loud.....  How many 3rd and across the country plays have we given up to allow the other team to maintain possession?  Just demoralizing as a fan (can't imagine how it feels to be on that defense during those situations) .. and likely comedic as a fan of other teams.

3.  and last but not least, inability to overcome poor coaching...... on all levels and aspects of the game - just horrible and no longer forgivable.  

What is really sad is how much Andrew Luck has done to hide some of these issues over the years, yet no one really wants to label him as elite; nor have many (including our own front office) admitted how much he has done to accomplish that.  PM did the same damn thing.  He just had a hand full of better players and much better coaching to help him out.

13 hours ago, aaron11 said:

not enough QB talent in this class to get a haul like that

If all the (top college) QB's elect to enter the draft (which I doubt they all will), then I believe this would be the greatest quarterback class of all-time. Yep. even better than 83. 

I doubt they are all coming out though. 

18 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

If all the (top college) QB's elect to enter the draft (which I doubt they all will), then I believe this would be the greatest quarterback class of all-time. Yep. even better than 83. 

This is indeed one of the better looking QB classes in a number of years.

But for me,  it's not close to best class of all-time.

Hall of Fame:  Elway, Marino,  Kelly and O'Brien was a very good QB for a decade.

That's not going to happen with this class.    And I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying so.

I've not seen any write-ups from scouts or evaluators that talk about players in ths class in those lofty terms....

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is indeed one of the better looking QB classes in a number of years.

But for me,  it's not close to best class of all-time.

Hall of Fame:  Elway, Marino,  Kelly and O'Brien was a very good QB for a decade.

That's not going to happen with this class.    And I don't think I'm going out on a limb saying so.

I've not seen any write-ups from scouts or evaluators that talk about players in ths class in those lofty terms....

I don’t need to have anyone write it up to have my opinion.

Like I said, I doubt they’re all coming out anyway. If the top QBs come out then I will stick to what I said. 

27 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I don’t need to have anyone write it up to have my opinion.

Like I said, I doubt they’re all coming out anyway. If the top QBs come out then I will stick to what I said. 

I'm sorry....   I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise...    of course you're entitled to whatever opinion you want.

I was only sharing what I've read and what I haven't read.    Really, that's all.

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

i was discussing a colts trade back

if too many do enter then that may not be good for us, teams can stay where they are and get somebody

how many do you think are worth making a rg3 level trade for? 

19 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i was discussing a colts trade back

if too many do enter then that may not be good for us, teams can stay where they are and get somebody

how many do you think are worth making a rg3 level trade for? 

If we end up with a top 3 pick then we can’t rule out taking a quarterback. Until we know for sure what Andrew Luck’s future is, we are in a tough spot. If the front office truly believes Andrew Luck will recover then we can trade back. There will be offers.

41 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

If we end up with a top 3 pick then we can’t rule out taking a quarterback. Until we know for sure what Andrew Luck’s future is, we are in a tough spot. If the front office truly believes Andrew Luck will recover then we can trade back. There will be offers.

I agree.   We will finally know if Luck is healthy on draft day.

I don't think they will draft a QB early.   I'm also not sure that trading back is the best thing to do.  It depends on where they draft and who is available.  Also depends on what teams are willing to trade to move up.   Trading down 10 spots for an extra 4th round pick isn't good.

58 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree, if Darnold is available, I'd like to get him. Rosen looks like a good prospect too. Darnold could probably need a season to play at a expected high level.

The QB position is the most important in sports. And the way football players go down like flies in today's NFL the backup position is very important too.

IMO, Luck needs to show he's HEALTHY and STAY HEALTHY. If he can than Darnold or Rosen could be a valuable

trade chip in 2019/2020. If not then we still would have a Franchise QB. 

2 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

IMO, Luck needs to show he's HEALTHY and STAY HEALTHY. 

there is no way for him to do that before the draft though

personally i think he comes back, but yes im worried about his durability going forward.

i think we should figure out who the best defensive player is in this class and take them

then go Oline in the second and maybe third rounds

barkley is like a wildcard to me.  we might just take him, or maybe they dont believe in backs that high.  not my first choice but i could live with it

IMO this qb class is not close to the 1983 class. No one of these guys are close the prospect Luck was coming out of Stanford. For the most part this college qb class has disappointed compared to the preseason hype.

-Darnold is talented but hasn’t fixed his elongated delivery and has been a turnover machine. As opposed to last year, he has not played great in big games and was particularly bad in a blowout loss to ND. 

- Rosen is not surrounded by a great team but can make some beautiful throws followed by awful decisions. Even in his great comeback vs A&M. They dropped 3 easy ints that would have ended up in a UCLA loss. 

- Josh Allen might be the most physically gifted but has been awful this year. Missing wide open wrs, making horrible decisions etc...

-Rudoph is mid rd pick IMO. 

-Mayfield and Lamar Jackson will be very interesting to see how they are evaluated. 

Overall a talented group with a lot of question marks and inconsistent play on the field. Of course teams tend to fall in love with qbs prior to the draft and they typically go higher than expected 

18 hours ago, BR-549 said:

What is really sad is how much Andrew Luck has done to hide some of these issues over the years, yet no one really wants to label him as elite; nor have many (including our own front office) admitted how much he has done to accomplish that.  PM did the same damn thing.  He just had a hand full of better players and much better coaching to help him out.

And this is Irsay’s to own. This is a glaring comparison between Peyton and Andrew. Something that was publicly talked about being learned, because the Manning Year’s should have netted more titles. One player just can’t overcome a teams deficiencies all the time. That’s what made all of those one and done playoffs hard to take back then. Keep hearing balance, but it’s not happening up to this point. The future is still bright though. AL needed appropriate time to heal up. 2018 could be huge for us! Looking forward to it. 

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

there is no way for him to do that before the draft though

personally i think he comes back, but yes im worried about his durability going forward.

Which is why I think drafting a top QB is the safe, smart thing to do.

7 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

but then if/when luck does come back we will have too many QBs

we could use the high pick to add a blue chip player to the defense or something instead

its a risk no matter what, so far they are saying luck will come back 

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

but then if/when luck does come back we will have too many QBs

we could use the high pick to add a blue chip player to the defense or something instead

its a risk no matter what, so far they are saying luck will come back 

I agree with what your saying, it would be nice to  add all the Blue Chip players we can. But what if Luck doesn't come back, or if he does and gets hurt again? A Blue Chip linebacker or whatever isn't as important as a highly talented QB. We've seen this season how woeful our offense is with a below average QB.

But if Luck does come back & stay healthy  we can  possibly use our pick/or Luck for multiple blue chippers, just a year later starting in 2019.

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I agree with what your saying, it would be nice to  add all the Blue Chip players we can. But what if Luck doesn't come back, or if he does and gets hurt again? A Blue Chip linebacker or whatever isn't as important as a highly talented QB. We've seen this season how woeful our offense is with a below average QB.

But if Luck does come back & stay healthy  we can  possibly use our pick/or Luck for multiple blue chippers, just a year later starting in 2019.

If we can shore up the o-line and get a pass rusher Brissett will be just fine no matter what the situation is with Luck. Brissett would have a full off season to study and learn the play book. A full camp and 4 pre season games to prepare.

Ballard has already stated that Brissett was traded for with the future in mind. Just maybe when Brissett become available Ballard was covering all the bases when he had the chance?

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

We cant do that because then Andrew will be looking over his shoulder constantly. Drafting another QB would hurt our chemistry IMO and we have too many other weaknesses to fill. O.Line and Pass Rushers need to be addressed. I am one that thinks Andrew will come back 100% though.

Brissett's not a starter.  If you only need him to cover 2-3 games and one of the games is against a bad team, you could survive with him, and if Luck were playing 14-16 games a year, that might be fine, but in this situation where Luck has played one of the past three seasons, I'm drafting and developing another QB.  Regardless of Luck's status, somewhere I'm drafting one.  

If Luck comes back and plays 16 games for the next 4 years, great, but at this point it's not something I would bet on.

58 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we can shore up the o-line and get a pass rusher Brissett will be just fine no matter what the situation is with Luck. Brissett would have a full off season to study and learn the play book. A full camp and 4 pre season games to prepare.

Ballard has already stated that Brissett was traded for with the future in mind. Just maybe when Brissett become available Ballard was covering all the bases when he had the chance?

I liked Brissett earlier but not so much now.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of him missing our training camp and preseason but now he has played a lot and seems to be regressing.  Maybe B. B. knew what he was doing when he traded him.  He  traded both of his backups with a 40 yr. old QB.  He could have hung on to Brissett as a developmental QB.  He chose not to.  Maybe Ballads mind is changing now.   Who knows.  If Luck is healthy I would feel better with a veteran backup.  I'm in the minority I know.  

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I liked Brissett earlier but not so much now.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt because of him missing our training camp and preseason but now he has played a lot and seems to be regressing.  Maybe B. B. knew what he was doing when he traded him.  He  traded both of his backups with a 40 yr. old QB.  He could have hung on to Brissett as a developmental QB.  He chose not to.  Maybe Ballads mind is changing now.   Who knows.  If Luck is healthy I would feel better with a veteran backup.  I'm in the minority I know.  

I am fine with Brissett being the backup. He would be a great backup, he is just an iffy starter.

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if Luck is still not healthy by the draft?

Lets pray it doesnt come to that. Because if Andrew Luck is still not clearly healthy by the draft, the Colts will have to absolutely consider another QB with their top pick. They won't find him in free agency. Imagine getting the second pick and having ot spend it on the USC or UCLA QB. Please lord, no. That would set this team back years. 

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is the 1 million dollar question. This offseason is going to be real interesting. According to Colts.com Luck is making progress which is great news.

I saw the Luck reference too....

But in this case I'm not willing to believe it until I hear it directly from Andrew himself or Chris Ballard or both.

I have lots of questions and I want lots of answers when they're ready to talk.   Until then,  I will remain somewhat skeptical.... 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if Luck is still not healthy by the draft?

IF that is the case, we'd nearly have to give up on him.   At that point drafting a QB would make sense.   I wouldn't draft one just in case Luck goes down though.   Hopefully we can keep Brissett as the back up.  We'd at least have one of the better back up QB's in the league.    You know the Eagles are glad they have Foley.   Imagine if they had a Tolzien.  

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

IF that is the case, we'd nearly have to give up on him.   At that point drafting a QB would make sense.   I wouldn't draft one just in case Luck goes down though.   Hopefully we can keep Brissett as the back up.  We'd at least have one of the better back up QB's in the league.    You know the Eagles are glad they have Foley.   Imagine if they had a Tolzien.  

I don't think you can consider Brissett one of the better back ups in the league.  Foley is for sure.  I don't think the Eagles would swap.  If we had Foley as our backup to start the season we would probably be in the playoffs.  In our situation I would much rather have a veteran like Foley vs. a Brissett.   Foley can win you games.  Brissett has a long way to go even after a full season with us. 

On 12/10/2017 at 1:51 PM, dw49 said:

The Colts are at 3. The Tie Breaker is strength of schedule. 49er's is better than Colts , so that means we pick ahead in the event of a tie

We're winning!

Or losing.  Depends on how you look at it.

Since JB has been brought up a little here in the past few posts...

Just wondering if I am the only one, but when he makes his 5-7 step drops he almost becomes a statue.  His feet plant and do not move at all.  He seems to be watching whomever he intends to throw to and that is all.  Its like he has no intention of looking elsewhere..... is it just me?  

Then if a rusher gets close he basically has to get his feet moving again which allows the rusher to be able to catch up with him.... I don't know.  It just seems like that is basic QB play and I can understand it when you are getting used to the speed of the NFL, but how many weeks does that take?  You would think the coaches would be pointing it out to him and there would be some improvement.  Just a thought.  

Maybe they have brought it up and it is more than he can handle at this point in time.... some say he is NFL starter capable, but I have my doubts.