Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Baker Mayfield Comparison? Wilson or Manziel?

I saw this discussion in a thread here this week.....

One poster hated the comparison to Wilson and called it lazy.        An interesting choice of words,   because in this NFL.com story,  that what one NFL scout called the comparison of Mayfield to Manziel.     He said they're nothing alike and that Mayfield is much more like Wilson than Manziel.  

That's just one voice,  but this story is new,  it's two days old,  so the perspective includes the 2017 regular season.

Just click and read,  it's a good one if the topic interests you.....

Enjoy!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889241/article/wilson-or-manziel-the-good-bad-with-ou-qb-baker-mayfield

I dont like the manziel comparison. Manziel couldn’t stay sober to save his life and to him partying was greater than football. I never thought he was passionate about the game. Sure mayfield had some on and off the field antics but you can’t deny his passion and leadership, 2 traits that manziel lacked. He is more similar to Wilson but not as mobile. He may have a better deep ball than Wilson and could develop into a better passer overall, but I don’t see him extending plays with his legs the way Russ does

What makes Wilson special is his ability to avoid the rush— not just in the pocket, but all over the place. He’s Houdini on the field, and he uses that ability to create time, which allows his receivers to get open.

I don’t see that with Mayfield. He’s neither Wilson nor Manziel, more of a Case Keenum to me.

If he is not Manziel, that is what NFL teams care about. As long as he is willing to dedicate himself to football, he will not be a Manziel, as simple as that.

His ceiling, whether it is Case Keenum or Russell Wilson, teams won't care as long as he is not like Manziel, which I doubt he is based on what he has shown so far. He is not a party animal like Leinart or Manziel, and his fire can be comparable to Philip Rivers who yaps a lot as well. :) 

• 2 weeks later...