Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mitchell....My Man !!!!

COLTS449

That’s what’s up. Couldn’t of said it better. People need to quit being so soft and sissified and realize this is football. A mans game. It’s not for these new era sissies. So Mike Mitchell is now one of my favorite players and one of my most respected. That’s what’s up baby !!!! 

15 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

That’s what’s up. Couldn’t of said it better. People need to quit being so soft and sissified and realize this is football. A mans game. It’s not for these new era sissies. So Mike Mitchell is now one of my favorite players and one of my most respected. That’s what’s up baby !!!! 

Great job by Mitchell and well said. This is why I like the Steelers despite being a Colt fan and Mitchell just justifies that. Nice post 449! Glad to see you are doing well.

Man I’m mad. On first take. Listen how dumb Max is. I quote. Or kinda paraphrase in a mocking way. “Oh we need to get rid of the PED’s and the opioid pain killers” “We need that out of the league to make it less violent”  OH MY GOD WHAT A WUSS. I NOW HATE YOU MAX !!! YOU FREAKING SISSY !!!! First. I want to see PED’s and pain killers in the league. It makes the NFL better, yeah. Harder hits, allows players to play through more injuries, and I mean that’s obvious. 2nd. For the 100,000 time !!! Most the entire league is on opioids anyways. “BIG FREAKING DEAL MAX” Guess What dude. We want violence in the NFL. We like fights, violent hits, taunting, all of it. Most of us, and as bad as some may hate this. Most of us hard *, hellraisin, loud guy fans are former players and/or meat heads (and I’m proud of it man) who gets up, gets wild, loud, excited and rowdy when we see somebody get laid the ___ out. It’s like BOO YAH !!! Guys like us. Yeah dude. We love hard and violent hits. How could he not want to watch real football ??? Too bad Max. You can’t change it. The NFL players are some of the last real men left. Theres not gonna be a Jenner out there on the gridiron anytime soon !!!!

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Great interview, thanks for sharing. If Mitchell is one of your favorite tough players, you might want to consider changing that picture of Moncrief. Lol!

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Man I’m mad. On first take. Listen how dumb Max is. I quote. Or kinda paraphrase in a mocking way. “Oh we need to get rid of the PED’s and the opioid pain killers” “We need that out of the league to make it less violent”  OH MY GOD WHAT A WUSS. I NOW HATE YOU MAX !!! YOU FREAKING SISSY !!!! First. I want to see PED’s and pain killers in the league. It makes the NFL better, yeah. Harder hits, allows players to play through more injuries, and I mean that’s obvious. 2nd. For the 100,000 time !!! Most the entire league is on opioids anyways. “BIG FREAKING DEAL MAX” Guess What dude. We want violence in the NFL. We like fights, violent hits, taunting, all of it. Most of us, and as bad as some may hate this. Most of us hard *, hellraisin, loud guy fans are former players and/or meat heads (and I’m proud of it man) who gets up, gets wild, loud, excited and rowdy when we see somebody get laid the ___ out. It’s like BOO YAH !!! Guys like us. Yeah dude. We love hard and violent hits. How could he not want to watch real football ??? Too bad Max. You can’t change it. The NFL players are some of the last real men left. Theres not gonna be a Jenner out there on the gridiron anytime soon !!!!

This made me smile, especially as an old attitude era WWF fan from the 90s. :) 

The problem with Mitchell's argument is that it's a no-win situation for the league.  On the one hand, you have players and fans saying "we want the game to be rough and physical and violent because that's what football is".  On the other hand, you have other players and the NFLPA saying the NFL doesn't do enough for player safety.  So if the league implements rules and fines in the name of player safety, those who want the game to be more physical and aggressive get upset.  And if the game is physical and aggressive, players complain about concussions and CTE and the league not doing enough for them.  Whatever the league does, they lose.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

The problem with Mitchell's argument is that it's a no-win situation for the league.  On the one hand, you have players and fans saying "we want the game to be rough and physical and violent because that's what football is".  On the other hand, you have other players and the NFLPA saying the NFL doesn't do enough for player safety.  So if the league implements rules and fines in the name of player safety, those who want the game to be more physical and aggressive get upset.  And if the game is physical and aggressive, players complain about concussions and CTE and the league not doing enough for them.  Whatever the league does, they lose.

I hope that there is a comfortable, agreeable, middle ground. I am not for changing the rules for the sake of safety. In essence that changes the nature of the game a bit too much. We are starting to see the negative ramifications of the rule changes in decreasing viewership. Football is no longer the football we once knew.

Player safety can come in other ways, such as improvements to helmets that better absorb hits. Better playing surfaces should be looked into. The league should (and does) look into how to better incorporate science into training, nutrition, and management of fatigue to reduce injuries.

Lastly, the league should look to find the optimal time for practices. I am under the impression that currently, there is not enough practice time, which leads to poor technique, which increases the chances of injury for the individual player - and increases the chances that their poor technique may injure another player (head-to-head contact). More practive will also allow the players bodies to be better acclimated to the physical rigors of game day. Just my thoughts.

39 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Dude, Max Kellerman has always been the biggest beta at espn. I’m surprised he doesn’t change his last name to Kellerxir because there’s no way that guy identifies with the XY chromosome having folks, and he wouldn’t want to offend any genderfluid individuals. 

58 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

well I'm not going to fault any of these guys for wanting to have their mental and physical capacity to remain in tact once they're done with football.  If you want violence and fights, stick to MMA, UFC, boxing etc.  Football is a game...fights, outright violence trying to hurt other players...those have no business in the NFL.

I saw that segment when I went home for lunch.   Max is a complete *.   I do think Will Cain is the best person on ESPN.   He uses logic.  

Do you even know who Max Kellerman is?     Any idea?

Max Kellerman is a former BOXER!     And he was pretty good.      

You have to be a pretty brave person to get into a ring with an opponent who is trying to knock you out.    Face to face he'd clean your clock with one punch.      

Calling Max Kellerman a sissy or a wuss is about as far from the truth as can be.   

You don't agree with his opinion -- fine.      But calling him childish names that are 180 degrees from the truth is flat out wrong.

This violence deal in the NFL is to me to be compared to war when policies dictate you don't fire unless you are fired upon which often results in the killing of the troops waiting to be fired upon. Try being gentle in scrimmages or try backing down a gear at the NFL tryouts. If this argument in the NFL continues and it will, is there a solution that allows maximum effort to put the other guy on the turf?. Anyone who has been on the sidelines can tell you what the players are yelling and it more resembles "rip that ________'s head off" than "not too rough out their fellows." Tell hockey players not to check a player in to the locker room. Tell boxers not to hit an opponent ending their night with one punch. Tell an MMA fighter no to kick an opponent's scalp off their head. For that matter tell a cop to shoot only to wound when he confronts a person pointing  gun at him or her.

2 hours ago, Flash7 said:

I hope that there is a comfortable, agreeable, middle ground. I am not for changing the rules for the sake of safety. In essence that changes the nature of the game a bit too much. We are starting to see the negative ramifications of the rule changes in decreasing viewership. Football is no longer the football we once knew.

Player safety can come in other ways, such as improvements to helmets that better absorb hits. Better playing surfaces should be looked into. The league should (and does) look into how to better incorporate science into training, nutrition, and management of fatigue to reduce injuries.

Lastly, the league should look to find the optimal time for practices. I am under the impression that currently, there is not enough practice time, which leads to poor technique, which increases the chances of injury for the individual player - and increases the chances that their poor technique may injure another player (head-to-head contact). More practive will also allow the players bodies to be better acclimated to the physical rigors of game day. Just my thoughts.

I think all players should wear those blow-up sumo wrestler costumes.  The air and padding would protect them and it would add ALOT  of interest and comedy.  Kinda like a Benny Hill show.

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Exactly. I don't want to see Mike Mitchell's name attached to any concussion or safety lawsuits against the league a decade from now. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

And here's a comeback to Mitchell from former NYGiants Defensive lineman Osi Umenyura.....

And he hits back at Mitchell pretty hard....       if you're interested,  just click and read...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/nfl-osi-umenyiora-mike-mitchell-player-safety-rant-steelers-benglas

Here's his tweet:

:scoregood:

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Are you really this clueless or is it just an internet act?

They gotta slow the game down and downsize.
Lineman can't weigh over.... say 270. With loose jersey's and big pads they can hold with.
 All these fat guys knocking each other over falling on their teammates, messing them up. Were gonna nip it!
RB's... oh.... 210      And big ol' Walter Peyton shoulder pads.
 You see where this is headed.
 Nobody runs under a 4.5
  Gonna put sand in your pads if necessary like a Jockey at Churchill Downs.
   Make these guys football technicians again instead of sprinters and helmet/shoulder tacklers!

:lecture:  That is real football.   :spit:      

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this went on this forum where everybody usually plays so safe lol! I agree with Mitch, and I've always had a theory about what's causing so many head injuries. It's just a theory because I can't connect all the dots but it just makes sense. There are to many rules and to many people beating players over the head with them every chance they get. It's like having to many people working on an assembly line or to many fish in 1 pond. Somewhere in the middle more becomes less, and adding more again makes it even less.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Exactly. I don't want to see Mike Mitchell's name attached to any concussion or safety lawsuits against the league a decade from now. 

That's the first thing I was thinking of too.  I wonder how all those players who sued the league for the CTE/dementia/consussions/mental health problems feel about Mitchell's comments.  I wonder how the Seau family feels about them.  The league is in a no-win situation, so it's easy for the players to just make their comments and think they're right.

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

They gotta slow the game down and downsize.
Lineman can't weigh over.... say 270. With loose jersey's and big pads they can hold with.
 All these fat guys knocking each other over falling on their teammates, messing them up. Were gonna nip it!
RB's... oh.... 210      And big ol' Walter Peyton shoulder pads.
 You see where this is headed.
 Nobody runs under a 4.5
  Gonna put sand in your pads if necessary like a Jockey at Churchill Downs.
   Make these guys football technicians again instead of sprinters and helmet/shoulder tacklers!

:lecture:  That is real football.   :spit:      

No more BigMac's for the fat guys! Problem solved!

Ted Brusci said today when he got his first helmet (I assume in high school) his first thought was how he could not wait to nail someone with it. He went on to say today it has to be viewed as protection. This shows how times change. But to move rom the helmet issue, what does a player hope to achieve with an open field tackle? To move the player off his position changing his direction and this is done by impact not pulling or pushing. When a player gets whacked the brain goes instantly in to a recover mode and that is why you hit him hard so his body has less time to recover. Defense players only shove in order to move a player out of bounds so they don't draw a flag, So how does the NFL put a limit switch on hitting like a cruise control button or a knob like a volume control on a tackle?.

Every major sport has evolved and the NFL is no different. The players of today (for the most part) are done damaging themselves for the rest of their lives just so you can get your thirst for violence.

Players are smarter after seeing the long term results of players in the past. I think a 15 yard penalty on a personal foul with any play determined "dirty" is not enough. A loss of a possession would be more fitting plus at least a one game suspension.

Most of those hits they are talking about are illegal and have been illegal for a while. So the question is not whether they should be legal or illegal, The question is what the penalty should be? Just personal foul and 15 yards? Or 15 + disqualification? Or 15+disqualification + additional games? 

The main goals of punishment in the context of sports are denunciation (the league makes it clear that such behavior is not OK and makes it clear by dishing out punishment . Part of this is for public relations purposes) and deterrence - they want to avoid this behavior in the future. Now the question is what punishment achieves the best combination of those. Or rather what's the minimal punishment(since they don't want their best players being sidelined for a ton of games) that achieves the maximum level of deterrence without seeming weak for the public. In an era when the league is dealing with huge blows because of concerns for player safety and accusations that they've known for ages and covered it up, the incentive to denounce this type of hits is very strong and the harsher the punishment the harsher the denunciation seems to the public.  

I personally don't know what the right punishment for such hits should be. In the justice system there is a phenomena where there are diminishing returns when you are going higher and higher on the scale of harsher punishments. Meaning - the deterrence increases as you increase the punishment but just to some point. Then it just levels off no matter how much harsher you make the punishment. I don't know if it will be similar in sports, since most decisions are split second decisions, while most crime is deliberate and planned to some extent. The league needs to be doing research on those things in order to determine what the optimal level of punishment is. 

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you even know who Max Kellerman is?     Any idea?

Max Kellerman is a former BOXER!     And he was pretty good.      

You have to be a pretty brave person to get into a ring with an opponent who is trying to knock you out.    Face to face he'd clean your clock with one punch.      

Calling Max Kellerman a sissy or a wuss is about as far from the truth as can be.   

You don't agree with his opinion -- fine.      But calling him childish names that are 180 degrees from the truth is flat out wrong.

I don't believe Max Kellerman ever did any boxing, amateur or professional.