Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Saw a report Ron Meyer has passed away .

mahagga73

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

If true then that sucks. I always liked Ron Meyer. 

One of the most charismatic coaches in team history.  Great pregame show. Lead Colts to a 3-13 record after going 0-13 In 86 I believe. I'm thinking it was Dowhower who got fired. Colts made playoffs in strike year of 87. 

2 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Oh no.... RIP Ron.

Not exactly the epitome of integrity and honesty, but he was a Colts coach none-the-less and I hate it for his family.  

..... ruined the program at SMU though.

He wasn't doing anything the others weren't.  Check out the SMU 30 for 30 . 

4 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

He wasn't doing anything the others weren't.  Check out the SMU 30 for 30 . 

Ive seen it and I know that.... but that doesn't make it right.  Never going to corral it or stop it either I doubt.

I liked him and I considered not saying anything, but in the end it will always come up when people do stuff like that and get caught.  It becomes their legacy unfortunately.

Pretty much the only reason Eric Dickerson came to indy as I recall.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Ive seen it and I know that.... but that doesn't make it right.  Never going to corral it or stop it either I doubt.

I liked him and I considered not saying anything, but in the end it will always come up when people do stuff like that and get caught.  It becomes their legacy unfortunately.

Pretty much the only reason Eric Dickerson came to indy as I recall.

I consider college sports to be a giant ponzi scheme and hypocritical in every way so cheating in college has no bearing on my views on a guy.  just me. 

49 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I consider college sports to be a giant ponzi scheme and hypocritical in every way so cheating in college has no bearing on my views on a guy.  just me. 

No worries, I understand and I agree with you somewhat.  

Things could be different for sure, but in this case you can see what happens when teams are bought which is what they try to prevent to some degree...

He is one of the best Coaches we have ever had here in Indianapolis. We were 0-13 in 1986 and he took over then we went 3-0 to finish the season. In 1987 we went 9-6 and won the Division in the tough AFC East under his presence. In 1988 we went 9-7 under him. RIP Coach Meyer. Out of all the Coaches we have had here Indianapolis only Dungy was better IMO. He and Marchibroda were even.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is one of the best Coaches we have ever had here in Indianapolis. We were 0-13 in 1986 and he took over then we went 3-0 to finish the season. In 1987 we went 9-6 and won the Division in the tough AFC East under his presence. In 1988 we went 9-7 under him. RIP Coach Meyer. Out of all the Coaches we have had here Indianapolis only Dungy was better IMO. He and Marchibroda were even.

IMO he is one of the coaches who got a raw deal here in Indy.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

IMO he is one of the coaches who got a raw deal here in Indy.

I really liked him. He is a lot like Chuck but was a little more hardnosed than Chuck and Caldwell too. I liked his style a lot. Other than Dungy and Marchibroda out of my years of watching I Iiked him the most. Mora was just nuts lmao but that is another story = PLAYOFFS!

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just think, he was fired and Rick Venturi was hired. :yuk:

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really liked him. He is a lot like Chuck but was a little more hardnosed than Chuck and Caldwell too. I liked his style a lot. Other than Dungy and Marchibroda out of my years of watching I Iiked him the most. Mora was just nuts lmao but that is another story = PLAYOFFS!

I think you really like yourself too because you keep posting everything twice :lol: (JK)

I think Ron Meyer probably had a higher IQ than a lot of the coaches who've been through Indy.  I also think he was a pretty good evaluator of player talent. 

But I think he had a reputation in the NFL of being more of a college coach so he never got a lot of respect, IMO.

40 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Ron Meyer probably had a higher IQ than a lot of the coaches who've been through Indy.  I also think he was a pretty good evaluator of player talent. 

But I think he had a reputation in the NFL of being more of a college coach so he never got a lot of respect, IMO.

I think you are correct. He more than likely carried the negative issues he had a SMU and it effected him the rest of his career.

I always gave him credit for his time here as he was the first head coach to bring a winning attitude here. It was a shame he was fired by the Colts IMO.

He was blamed for the Jeff George trade that sent Andre Reed and Chris Hinton to the Falcons.

It's ironic that Jeff George ended up being traded to the Falcons.

8 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

I recall George going on a verbal tirade against the Falcons coach on the sideline (Dan Reeves maybe?). He was traded/cut shortly thereafter

I think the verbal tirade was against June Jones.

It was a shame George didn't have the mindset to be a leader. He had the talent.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are correct. He more than likely carried the negative issues he had a SMU and it effected him the rest of his career.

I always gave him credit for his time here as he was the first head coach to bring a winning attitude here. It was a shame he was fired by the Colts IMO.

He was blamed for the Jeff George trade that sent Andre Reed and Chris Hinton to the Falcons.

It's ironic that Jeff George ended up being traded to the Falcons.

I'd think that big of a trade would fall more on the GM than HC at the time, but I know Meyer was instrumental in bringing Dickerson and Cornelius Bennett to the Colts.  I think Jim Irsay was holding the title of GM then.

I think Meyer was fired when Bob Irsay hired Bill Tobin as GM, and Tobin cleaned house, but my timeline might be off. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'd think that big of a trade would fall more on the GM than HC at the time, but I know Meyer was instrumental in bringing Dickerson and Cornelius Bennett to the Colts.  I think Jim Irsay was holding the title of GM then.

I think Meyer was fired when Bob Irsay hired Bill Tobin as GM, and Tobin cleaned house, but my timeline might be off. 

Tobin? Yes he drafted Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Ken Dilger, TariK Glenn, Adam Meadows. Ashley Ambrose and Ray Buchanan.

If I am not mistaken he also signed Jim Harbaugh.

Sad that he is known for his issue by asking "Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"  lol

Tobin? Yes he drafted Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Ken Dilger, TariK Glenn, Adam Meadows. Ashley Ambrose and Ray Buchanan.

Tobin also signed Kirk Lowdermilk and the LT (can't place the name) Wofford? who was very good before Glenn was drafted.  He also signed Tony Bennett and drafted Jeff Herrod and Tony Siragusa (but let Siragusa leave)

Tobin is the GM that traded Jeff George to ATL, like the day after taking office.  And he re-hired Marchibroda.

In a lot of ways, Tobin was just as good as Polian, but never got much recognition other than saying Kiper was no better than his postman.

I think Meyer was indeed the HC when George was a rookie.  George's perennial failure basically got Meyer fired in midseason, then I think Tobin was hired sometime before the draft next spring.

17 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Lol. I don't think they were that good back then . 

They were in the Super Bowl in 1985. However, that was the year after Ron was let go. 

I watched that Super Bowl. Bears spanked them. Beat them until they cried Uncle. 

I think the verbal tirade was against June Jones.

It was a shame George didn't have the mindset to be a leader. He had the talent.

I still remember he was on some talk show years after he retired abd the host had him throw some long pass through a tire or something like that, George still had a laser for an arm and accuracy.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Tobin also signed Kirk Lowdermilk and the LT (can't place the name) Wofford? who was very good before Glenn was drafted.  He also signed Tony Bennett and drafted Jeff Herrod and Tony Siragusa (but let Siragusa leave)

Tobin is the GM that traded Jeff George to ATL, like the day after taking office.  And he re-hired Marchibroda.

In a lot of ways, Tobin was just as good as Polian, but never got much recognition other than saying Kiper was no better than his postman.

I think Meyer was indeed the HC when George was a rookie.  George's perennial failure basically got Meyer fired in midseason, then I think Tobin was hired sometime before the draft next spring.

You’re right on some facts, close on some, and completely wrong on some. :) 

I completely agree that Bill Tobin does not get the respect he should. 

He did sign harbaugh and said harbaugh and Walter Payton were the most competitive people he ever met. 

29 minutes ago, IinD said:

I still remember he was on some talk show years after he retired abd the host had him throw some long pass through a tire or something like that, George still had a laser for an arm and accuracy.

Coming out of college George had one of the best arms I had ever seen. I don't know if his time at Indy made him gun shy or not. He did spend most of his time here looking at the RCA Dome roof more than he did down field. He got killed here.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

You’re right on some facts, close on some, and completely wrong on some. :) 

I completely agree that Bill Tobin does not get the respect he should. 

So which facts are which?  I admit, my timeline may not be precise.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

So which facts are which?  I admit, my timeline may not be precise.

Jim Irsay was the Colts GM from 1984 until the Colts hired Bill Tobin in 1994. 

Jim Irsay was the GM when we drafted Herrod in 1988. Irsay also made the blockbuster trade to get Jeff George. Though it was never 100% confirmed, rumor was that Ron Meyer was against making the trade to get George. 

Tony Siragusa went undrafted in 1990. Another move made when Jim Irsay was the GM. 

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

Dude. LOL. No. :D

Bill Tobin was not hired until 1994. Ron Meyer was fired in 1991. Venturi became interim head coach, and the next season we brought back Ted. 

Jim Irsay drafted Bennett (biscuit), but he refused to play for us due to a contract dispute. Although we drafted him, he was traded away before ever playing a down for us. He was actually part of a mega trade that brought Eric Dickerson to Indy. Bill Polian brought Biscuit to Indy late in his career.

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Dude. LOL. No. :D

Bill Tobin was not hired until 1994. Ron Meyer was fired in 1991. Venturi became interim head coach, and the next season we brought back Ted. 

Jim Irsay drafted Bennett (biscuit), but he refused to play for us due to a contract dispute. Although we drafted him, he was traded away before ever playing a down for us. He was actually part of a mega trade that brought Eric Dickerson to Indy. Bill Polian brought Biscuit to Indy late in his career.

Ah yes, thanks.  That was getting pretty far back in my memory of coaching carousels.  

On 12/6/2017 at 12:04 PM, BlueShoe said:

They were in the Super Bowl in 1985. However, that was the year after Ron was let go. 

I watched that Super Bowl. Bears spanked them. Beat them until they cried Uncle. 

I think Colts hall of famer Raymond Berry was coach.  The Pats pulled off a huge upset by beating the Dolphins in the playoffs  , denying us a rematch of the Bears only loss . Marino shredded that defense on MNF. 

21 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Jim Irsay was the Colts GM from 1984 until the Colts hired Bill Tobin in 1994. 

Jim Irsay was the GM when we drafted Herrod in 1988. Irsay also made the blockbuster trade to get Jeff George. Though it was never 100% confirmed, rumor was that Ron Meyer was against making the trade to get George. 

Tony Siragusa went undrafted in 1990. Another move made when Jim Irsay was the GM. 

Chris Chandler was a pretty good young QB, there was no need to make that trade.  The Fredd Young trade might have been the dumbest in football history before that .  Jim ruined a good thing . Better owner than GM.