Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pretty incredible stat on the Colts run defense

RockThatBlue

7 minutes ago, twfish said:

Holy crap. I figured tenesee had 100 on us. We can't get to the qb or stop a pass but we can finally stop the run. How are we ranking in run defense?

Not great. By the time the 4th quarter rolls around, they're completely gassed because of all the 3 & outs by our offense, and inevitably give up a 70 yard run that skews the numbers.

I just think it is nice to watch them shut nearly anything inside down.  

In the past it was nail biting time when other teams lined up in run formations.  Six to eight yards per play wasn't unreasonable.

If we can get our edge figured out, and I think Basham is a good start, then we will have a very good run defense in the near future.

Some ILB'rs will be nice too.  Our DB's are serviceable at this point so lets fix the edge and ILB this year (2018).

3 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

In the past it was nail biting time when other teams lined up in run formations.  Six to eight yards per play wasn't unreasonable.

If we can get our edge figured out, and I think Basham is a good start, then we will have a very good run defense in the near future.

Some ILB'rs will be nice too.  Our DB's are serviceable at this point so lets fix the edge and ILB this year (2018).

Exactly.....whens the last time you can say the run d is a legitimate strength inside. 

Pretty much every big run teams have had have been around the edge. 

This D is going in the right direction for sure.

The one bright spot this season. They've done if against some good backs too. Bell, Gurley, Fournette, Murray, etc etc. 

Still get gashed late in games and on outside runs, but better edge play and hopefully a Luck led offense that doesn't screw over the defense with constant 3 and outs can fix that. 

7 hours ago, BR-549 said:

100% agree.  Sheard loses the edge all the time, which is why Hoodie let him walk.  So frustrating that he can't execute a very simple and important assignment.

The only current problem with the stout interior run D is that teams realize they can't run up the middle on the Colts, so they decide to make the Colts D play in space.  Then it's oh :censored: time.

The OLBs and ILBs are garbage in space.  Garbage.  And that's being kind.  Can't run, can't cover, can't tackle.

You're spot-on re: the needed personnel upgrades.

13 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Not buying. Not for a second. I wouldn't even begin to buy that until he's gone. 

I would be shocked if hes brought back. Irsay is a smart businessman and I'm sure he knows that nobody will want to come to LOS next year if no changes are made.

Why run when you can pass so easily? The pass defense is giving up 7.9 yards/attempt, adjusted for sacks, a 62% completion rate, and a passer rating of 92.7. They give up a first down on 36% of pass plays, and have given up 53 pass plays of 20+ yards.

And teams are able to run against us. We've given up 8 carries of 20+ yards, and 18 rushing TDs. The average/rush against is respectable, but teams that keep running on us eventually have success. Especially if they test the edges, where we lose contain. The Titans did just this, and by the end of the game, Derrick Henry had 79 yards, almost all in the fourth quarter. A lot of this time we were stacking the box.

We're not vulnerable up the middle, that's true. But I'm not particularly impressed overall. We're loading the box -- all game against the Jags -- and over time, the run defense gives up leaks and gets scored on. Not only that, teams are content to throw and throw and throw on us because not only are we not stopping the pass, we give up gigantic gains on a routine basis.

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why run when you can pass so easily? The pass defense is giving up 7.9 yards/attempt, adjusted for sacks, a 62% completion rate, and a passer rating of 92.7. They give up a first down on 36% of pass plays, and have given up 53 pass plays of 20+ yards.

And teams are able to run against us. We've given up 8 carries of 20+ yards, and 18 rushing TDs. The average/rush against is respectable, but teams that keep running on us eventually have success. Especially if they test the edges, where we lose contain. The Titans did just this, and by the end of the game, Derrick Henry had 79 yards, almost all in the fourth quarter. A lot of this time we were stacking the box.

We're not vulnerable up the middle, that's true. But I'm not particularly impressed overall. We're loading the box -- all game against the Jags -- and over time, the run defense gives up leaks and gets scored on. Not only that, teams are content to throw and throw and throw on us because not only are we not stopping the pass, we give up gigantic gains on a routine basis.

This team (the offense) is not good" at" anything nor is it (the defense) good "against" anything. Like you said , Woods and Hankins are doing a nice job but overall the run defense eventually leaks. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Agreed. The Colts could not stop the run to the outside against the Titans. That’s on coaching and Talent though. The pass defense is absolutely horrible. That’s why I’m not sold on Melvin or Desir. Hairston got abused against the Jags, giving up two TDs. Everyone and their momma knows our LBs can’t cover, and neither can the safeties. Hooker was the best in coverage on this team regardless of position.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. The Colts could not stop the run to the outside against the Titans. That’s on coaching and Talent though. The pass defense is absolutely horrible. That’s why I’m not sold on Melvin or Desir. Hairston got abused against the Jags, giving up two TDs. Everyone and their momma knows our LBs can’t cover, and neither can the safeties. Hooker was the best in coverage on this team regardless of position.

Hairston's a rookie, I give him a little bit of a break. And the first TD I thought was on Butler more than Hairston. 

As for the outside runs, they're allowing Sheard to freelance on the edge, which we all know he loves to do. He made several plays to the inside in the Titans game by abandoning contain, then the Titans started attacking that edge and taking advantage of his aggression. I don't mind him having the freedom to make plays when he sees it, but like everything else, at certain points in the game the coaching staff has to emphasize the importance of sticking to the basics. Just like your QB doesn't check out of a run play on third and short when you're trying to kill the clock, your edge defenders have to contain first in critical situations. 

The coaches should have seen his edge get crushed on the first play of the Titans long TD drive, and corrected it from that point forward. Instead, they ran another half dozen plays right at his edge and bent the corner, partly because he didn't maintain the proper leverage to the outside (not all his fault, to be fair). 

Bad coaching, for sure.

4 hours ago, jseg18 said:

I wonder how much a coaching change will affect our 3 guys we have in there. What if the new coaching staff bring in a defensive coordinator with a 4 down front. Hankins wont be affected, but the rest might.

Yet we play a 4 man front about 65% of the time. I hope we do go 4-3.
 We add a pass rusher this off season, with Sheard, Bostic, Basham. Set!
 What our D Must have is a couple DT that can pass rush on 2nd and 3rd and long.
 We have two big run stuffers in the middle for 1st down, short yardage, developing Grover.
 Anderson was an upgrade to the fatty's in rush situations, and Hunt, & Ridgeway still could be.
 But we MUST be able to get pressure up the middle sometimes in OUR 4 man front, without blitzing. Period.  
 Bostic could be solid as a MLB? Add two swift outsides that could jump to our 4-2. Wallaaaa. :bossy:
 I'm happy with Sheard. He is aggressive and loses contain a few times a game, but makes a number of good plays
 every game. Get us good LB that can be trusted to do their jobs and let's see how he plays.
  Mingo. He is a situational player. When he is a regular rotation guy playing 1st down, he has been awful these last few games holding the edge. You think the opponent OC loves abusing our ILB's in the passing game in the 2nd half.
 Well Mingo is as bad as them or worse against the run. An Easy adjustment to what to call when he is out there.
People here think the other teams are making 2nd half adjustments. Na. They are just waiting till they need those plays they have game planned for the 2nd half. EASY pickins'. And i say keep on keepin' on. 3-13

That is what is so amazing about this team. This team has NO qb(Brisset is a zero) the number of sacks he takes is ridiculous. The defense constantly gives up 3rd and 10+ usually to wide open recievers. The defensive schemes and assignments make no sense at all 80% of the time. Take the Jaguar game last Sunday,3rd and six Fournette out wide, Bostic covering 6 yards off of him. A simple slant and no way Bostic gets there in time to prevent the 1st down. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE DEFENSIVE SCHEMES AT ALL. 3rd and 13 they rush 3 and give up an 18 yard gain to a WIDE OPEN receiver. But through all of this, this team plays hard, they don't quit. Ballard spent alot of money on the defense and we don't have a pass rush. Bashem is the best pass rusher, but he doesn't get many snaps.