Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stat Regarding Quenton Nelson's pass blocking

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I just read the cliff notes on him, im really starting to hope we get him. I'm not sure there is a sure fire pass rusher so we've gotta go OL

Same here.....the first round pass rushers are very good but not elite....Nelson is elite...and at a position of need. I've also read that many scouts think he's already better than half of the guards currently playing vin the NFL.

The only real problem with Nelson is NOT Nelson's fault.

He's a guard.     Do you really want to use a premium draft pick,   top-10,   on a non-premium position?

I seriously question that.

And in Free Agency,   there are basically no tackles of note to sign,  so if it's decided we need a tackle,  the only place to get one is via the draft.       And for those who say taken Nelson in the first and a tackle near the top of the 2nd,  well,  then you've spent your top-2 picks on the OL.   

And that's a hard thing to do when you have so many other needs.     And this is a team desperately in need of talent all over the field.

I think the thing to watch for is this.....       do we sign any OL (especially guards) in free agency.     That may be the tip-off on who we draft....

I'm on the fence with Nelson.     I'm trying to remember the last true guard who went top-10?     It may be all the way back to Randall McDaniel in the 90's.        There's a reason for that.....

If he’s truly as elite as they’re saying, which is impossible to tell at this point, I would absolutely use our first on him. Positional value can be thrown out the window when you’re talking about a blue chip player. My concern is only in the fact that he is a guard and nothing else. Looking at all the best guards currently and recently in the league, the overwhelming majority of them were tackles that moved to guard in the NFL. The guys that were pure guards often times bust or at the very least fail to live up to expectations. 

Going back to 2010, this is a list of first round guards;

Mike Iupati

David DeCastro

Kevin Zeitler

Jonathan Cooper

Chance Warmack

Kyle Long

Laken Tomlinson

Josh Garnett

Germain Ifedi

The only name on that list worthy of a first round pick is DeCastro. You think about the best guards in the game; Martin, Yanda, Osemele, Scherff, Sitton, Bitonio, they were ALL tackles in college. I don’t buy the whole “tackles are more important than guards” trope, but the correlation between pure guards busting in the pros is not one that makes me fully confident in drafting one so high. If my options are an absolute stud of a guard versus a decent player at another position, I’m definitely taking he stud guard. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's a guard.     Do you really want to use a premium draft pick,   top-10,   on a non-premium position?

And in Free Agency,   there are basically no tackles of note to sign,  so if it's decided we need a tackle,  the only place to get one is via the draft.       And for those who say taken Nelson in the first and a tackle near the top of the 2nd,  well,  then you've spent your top-2 picks on the OL.   

And that's a hard thing to do when you have so many other needs.     And this is a team desperately in need of talent all over the field.

I think the thing to watch for is this.....       do we sign any OL (especially guards) in free agency.     That may be the tip-off on who we draft....

I'm on the fence with Nelson.     I'm trying to remember the last true guard who went top-10?     It may be all the way back to Randall McDaniel in the 90's.        There's a reason for that.....

Nope!

4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

If he’s truly as elite as they’re saying, which is impossible to tell at this point, I would absolutely use our first on him. Positional value can be thrown out the window when you’re talking about a blue chip player. My concern is only in the fact that he is a guard and nothing else. Looking at all the best guards currently and recently in the league, the overwhelming majority of them were tackles that moved to guard in the NFL. The guys that were pure guards often times bust or at the very least fail to live up to expectations. 

Mike Iupati

David DeCastro

Kevin Zeitler

Jonathan Cooper

Chance Warmack

Kyle Long

Laken Tomlinson

Josh Garnett

Germain Ifedi

The only name on that list worthy of a first round pick is DeCastro. You think about the best guards in the game; Martin, Yanda, Osemele, Scherff, Sitton, Bitonio, they were ALL tackles in college. I don’t buy the whole “tackles are more important than guards” trope, but the correlation between pure guards busting in the pros is not one that makes me fully confident in drafting one so high. If my options are an absolute stud of a guard versus a decent player at another position, I’m definitely taking he stud guard. 

Thank you for your moment of clarity...

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with everything you have stated.  And I also think every year is different.  We are not the only team in need of OL help.  In fact I think the majority of the teams are desperate for quality offensive lineman.  I can see Norwell and Pugh getting huge contracts in FA just because of supply and demand.  And I really hope we get one of them.  We can't afford not to this year.  Losing Zeitler last year was a real blow for me.  Just like passing on Whitehair was two years ago in the draft.   I don't see how we can afford to pass on Nelson if's he's there.  In the past teams wouldn't do it for a guard but supply and demand has moved the OL into one of the premium categories and that includes Guard IMO. 

28 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I agree with everything you have stated.  And I also think every year is different.  We are not the only team in need of OL help.  In fact I think the majority of the teams are desperate for quality offensive lineman.  I can see Norwell and Pugh getting huge contracts in FA just because of supply and demand.  And I really hope we get one of them.  We can't afford not to this year.  Losing Zeitler last year was a real blow for me.  Just like passing on Whitehair was two years ago in the draft.   I don't see how we can afford to pass on Nelson if's he's there.  In the past teams wouldn't do it for a guard but supply and demand has moved the OL into one of the premium categories and that includes Guard IMO. 

I agree. Tradition says that guard is not a premium position but Nelson is a premium player. Plus,  if you have the opportunity to take a premium player you do it. 

this is a pretty good draft prospect article from the Indy Star.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/12/05/nfl-draft-2018-colts-top-five-prospects-watch-bowl-games/919549001/

but look in the tweet when talking about Quenton Nelson... it's a play from the Georgia game...he picks up a blitzer on the OTHER SIDE of the line....that's almost unheard of from a guard.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

20 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

If it’s not in the top 6 I don’t have a problem with it.

You don’t use a top 5 pick on guard in this kind of draft class. 

I’m still hoping for a trade back.

16 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Nope!

16 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Thank you for your moment of clarity...

Hopefully every team uses this logic and Nelson falls to the middle of the 1st round.  Watch the friggin Grigson-Browns draft him #1 overall... 

I think the Giants might get a spark from the coaching change-up and the 49ers might get a spark from Garoppolo and they could both win another game or two.  If the Colts end up with the #2 pick, the smart move would be to trade down about 10 spots and try to get Nelson and hopefully another 1st and some other picks over the next two drafts.

If Ballard can get three top-40 picks and pick the right players.  Really solidify the trenches with FA and the draft...  :beg:

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree 100%. The positional value of an OG ends the conversation about taking one top 10...as far as I am concerned. Sure, if the NFL didn't have a salary cap, the Colts would have the luxury to take a non-premium position like OG that early...because they could spend whatever they wanted on other positions. But that's not the case...so positional value is huge. And your best chance to get a cost-controlled premium position player is the top the of the draft. And if you get one, the surplus value of that rookie contract is almost priceless. DEN was able to build a Super Bowl team because of one of these players.

Plus, there are legit OGs available every offseason in FA...because of positional value. And the Colts could sign a top one for ~$8-10M/year. That's not cheap...but if you drafted an OG like Nelson in the 5-10 range, his rookie contract means he will already be costing $4-5M/year. So, even if Nelson is as good as the established FA (no guarantee), at most the Colts would only be saving $4-5M/year. That's not chump change...but it's not huge surplus value either. And you have to consider the risk that he won't be as good...at least not right away.

On the flip side, there are very few great premium position players (top tier OLBs, DEs and OTs...elite secondary players and WRs) that make it to FA. Even IF the Colts could sign a top player at one of those positions, it would likely cost ~$13-16M+/year. But if they drafted one in that 5-10 range, it would cost $4-5M/year...which means the Colts could save $9-11M+/year in cap space. Now that's surplus value that could be put to good use (maybe even pay for that OG FA?).

But like I said, those top premium position players are seldom available in FA...it's typically the next tier that makes it. And the cost of these next tier players is inflated by supply and demand. So now the Colts are overspending on a merely decent player, which doesn't really help much (see Sheard). And because it's the next tier of position players, there's actually a decent chance that a top 5-10 pick could actually be better than that next tier player. So not only could the Colts have saved more cap space, but they could also have a better player.

For example, let's look at NO last season. They had well-documented needs on the OL...and let's say they loved Forrest Lamp (who was last year's Nelson). But they also needed secondary help. Would they rather have signed a next tier CB like Logan Ryan and drafted Lamp....OR signed one of the top OGs available like Larry Warford and had their pick of a top premium position player in the draft? Well they signed Warford, who has been great, and was able to draft Lattimore, who was a DROY candidate until he got hurt. And the combined surplus value he will provide will be huge going forward. Not to mention they got better players at both positions.

It's not an either/or...I am just illustrating positional value and availability. And when it comes to having a top 10 pick,  OG shouldn't be on the table.

4 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

this is a pretty good draft prospect article from the Indy Star.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2017/12/05/nfl-draft-2018-colts-top-five-prospects-watch-bowl-games/919549001/

but look in the tweet when talking about Quenton Nelson... it's a play from the Georgia game...he picks up a blitzer on the OTHER SIDE of the line....that's almost unheard of from a guard.

Once I saw that play I was convinced he was worthy of a top 5-10 pick.

On 12/5/2017 at 1:17 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Every offensive line position is a premium position.

6 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Every offensive line position is a premium position.

Perhaps.....

But they're defintely NOT valued the same.

So, it goes LT, RT, C, LG and RG.

Those five spots are NOT viewed equally.

That's why in most years there are 4-5 tackles drafted in the first round.

And there are maybe one center and maybe one guard taken in the first round.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Perhaps.....

But they're defintely NOT valued the same.

So, it goes LT, RT, C, LG and RG.

Those five spots are NOT viewed equally.

That's why in most years there are 4-5 tackles drafted in the first round.

And there are maybe one center and maybe one guard taken in the first round.

I know everyone is just spitballing here, but the reality is that the Colts will not take Nelson if they grab a premium G in free agency. And they would be smart to do that if one is available. They need instant improvement on the O-line, and cannot afford to play someone who is going to take a year and a half to learn the position, as most O-linemen require. If Nelson is that rare commodity who can be inserted into the starting lineup immediately without concern, then he is indeed worthy of a top 10 pick. But that isn't happening at the Colts' pick if they fix their OG problem via free agency. IMO, they will instead look to fill their most glaring remaining needs : Pass rush, OT, or ILB. They can wait on the OT to mature; not the OG, which is an immediate priority. 

4 hours ago, Hoose said:

I know everyone is just spitballing here, but the reality is that the Colts will not take Nelson if they grab a premium G in free agency. And they would be smart to do that if one is available. They need instant improvement on the O-line, and cannot afford to play someone who is going to take a year and a half to learn the position, as most O-linemen require. If Nelson is that rare commodity who can be inserted into the starting lineup immediately without concern, then he is indeed worthy of a top 10 pick. But that isn't happening at the Colts' pick if they fix their OG problem via free agency. IMO, they will instead look to fill their most glaring remaining needs : Pass rush, OT, or ILB. They can wait on the OT to mature; not the OG, which is an immediate priority. 

You make it seem as if the Colts don’t need 2 new starting guards. I think they can get 1 in FA and one in the draft. A tackle can be had later. 

I dont think these premium guards are going to make it to us. We're not the only ones with OL issues. Heck, Pugh is a guard for the Giants, who have OL issues. Even if one of the few FA guards signs with us, we still need two starters and a depth guard (maybe Heag or Good can be the sixth man, whichever isnt the RT). FA and the draft should hold different strategies and not be planned on together. You get what you can when you can. 

On 12/5/2017 at 1:51 PM, The Peytonator said:

Mike Iupati

David DeCastro

Kevin Zeitler

Jonathan Cooper

Chance Warmack

Kyle Long

Laken Tomlinson

Josh Garnett

Germain Ifedi

I thought Iupati and Long where good players.

Either way regardless of bust rate, you can usually get a good guard lower in the draft.  

If you want to maximize the talent you get out of the draft then you would obviously try to get a player at another position that's harder to get later in the draft at the top and then grab your guard later on.  

That said Nelson seems from his play to be a safe pick.  I'd be somewhat surprised to see him bust.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I thought Iupati and Long where good players.

Either way regardless of bust rate, you can usually get a good guard lower in the draft.  

If you want to maximize the talent you get out of the draft then you would obviously try to get a player at another position that's harder to get later in the draft at the top and then grab your guard later on.  

That said Nelson seems from his play to be a safe pick.  I'd be somewhat surprised to see him bust.  

Yeah it’s all such a crapshoot. I believe he’ll be a great guard, but I could also see him being just a guy. As much as I’d love to be a scout or GM, the pressure would kill me in trying to decide who to go with your early pick. So many guys busy and if they don’t bust they’re massively mediocre, and I’d probably be worse than Matt Millen. 

1 hour ago, Dark Superman said:

If we pick at 3 how can you pass up on Barkley?

Placing Barkley into this offense with Luck would be huge not only for Luck, but this entire offense.

It's quite easy some team offers us a future 1st to move up for a QB we easily pass on barkley and take the great trade 

On 12/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, The Peytonator said:

Yeah it’s all such a crapshoot. I believe he’ll be a great guard, but I could also see him being just a guy. As much as I’d love to be a scout or GM, the pressure would kill me in trying to decide who to go with your early pick. So many guys busy and if they don’t bust they’re massively mediocre, and I’d probably be worse than Matt Millen. 

Oddly enough you still wouldn't be the worst in the NFL.  There have been plenty of picks, mostly by the Browns where everyone in their right mind knew that was a stupid pick and it turned out it was.

I'm personally of the opinion that the GM job while very stressful and probably involves a lot of work, especially watching film and the like isn't really all that complex.  

I don't think  a well informed fan could walk in there and build a superbowl caliber team, but you could certainly outperform the Browns.  

Heck John Lynch was nothing more then a former player and broadcaster and he seems to be turning the 49er's around.

I think the complexity of it is seriously overstated.  The pressure can't be overstated.  And you have to be able to analyse things without letting too much attachment or emotion get in the way.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oddly enough you still wouldn't be the worst in the NFL.  There have been plenty of picks, mostly by the Browns where everyone in their right mind knew that was a stupid pick and it turned out it was.

I'm personally of the opinion that the GM job while very stressful and probably involves a lot of work, especially watching film and the like isn't really all that complex.  

I don't think  a well informed fan could walk in there and build a superbowl caliber team, but you could certainly outperform the Browns.  

Heck John Lynch was nothing more then a former player and broadcaster and he seems to be turning the 49er's around.

I think the complexity of it is seriously overstated.  The pressure can't be overstated.  And you have to be able to analyse things without letting too much attachment or emotion get in the way.  

Yeah man I really believe that being a GM or scout has a large element of luck involved. These guys miss on players ALL the time. Even good ones are gonna draft a lot of busts. Most offseasons I do a little amateur scouting like a lot of us here, and not to sound like I think I’m smart, but I feel I’ve done a solid job on determining which players are gonna turn out good versus which ones bust. One thing I can guarantee is that I would have put our first round picks to much greater use than Grigson did during his tenure, and he was making millions while I was watching draftbreakdown cut ups. 

40 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Yeah man I really believe that being a GM or scout has a large element of luck involved. These guys miss on players ALL the time. Even good ones are gonna draft a lot of busts. Most offseasons I do a little amateur scouting like a lot of us here, and not to sound like I think I’m smart, but I feel I’ve done a solid job on determining which players are gonna turn out good versus which ones bust. One thing I can guarantee is that I would have put our first round picks to much greater use than Grigson did during his tenure, and he was making millions while I was watching draftbreakdown cut ups. 

most draft picks never live up to the hype, draft picks are a crapshoot , hard to draft one that is a playmaker, most take awhile to see if they can make it, ask cleveland, they are a gamble cant blame a gm for missing on them, they are not like proven talent where you can see what you are getting

On 12/5/2017 at 1:17 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Leonard Davis was top 10 right?

3 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

most draft picks never live up to the hype, draft picks are a crapshoot , hard to draft one that is a playmaker, most take awhile to see if they can make it, ask cleveland, they are a gamble cant blame a gm for missing on them, they are not like proven talent where you can see what you are getting

most draft picks do live up to their hype..... otherwise most NFL players would have to be UDFA's by default

37 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Leonard Davis was top 10 right?

I'm sure he was, but I believe he was taken as a tackle...     he may have played a lot of guard,  but the position he was drafted to play was tackle.

Similar to the Ski s drafting Brandon Schirff a few years back.    He plays guard at a pretty high level but he was drafted to play tackle.    Guard was the fallback.

This is a situation where if Quinton Nelson is as good as the hype says, and Ballard agrees with that notion, then I'd take him 3rd overall. We are in a spot where Grigson literally missed on almost every pick in the 5 drafts he did. We need to hit on players, especially first rounders. I'd rather have the safest guy in the draft and a stud at a less premium position, but a position of need, than a high upside athlete that busts like a Werner or Dorsett all over again. This team needs talent, and that means hitting on your picks first and foremost. New trends are always set, and if Nelson is as good as advertised, I seriously doubt we'd regret taking him 3rd overall when he protects Luck, especially when at least half of the other teams draft a bust in the 1st round. 

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

This is a situation where if Quinton Nelson is as good as the hype says, and Ballard agrees with that notion, then I'd take him 3rd overall. We are in a spot where Grigson literally missed on almost every pick in the 5 drafts he did. We need to hit on players, especially first rounders. I'd rather have the safest guy in the draft and a stud at a less premium position, but a position of need, than a high upside athlete that busts like a Werner or Dorsett all over again. This team needs talent, and that means hitting on your picks first and foremost. New trends are always set, and if Nelson is as good as advertised, I seriously doubt we'd regret taking him 3rd overall when he protects Luck, especially when at least half of the other teams draft a bust in the 1st round. 

I was all aboard taking him #4 or 5 overall, but #3 and possibly #2 is a stretch. At 2, I’d trade down. We could get a ransom from a team wanting a QB.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was all aboard taking him #4 or 5 overall, but #3 and possibly #2 is a stretch. At 2, I’d trade down. We could get a ransom from a team wanting a QB.

I think Nelson could be had around pick 8-12. That being said, I'd trade down even if we were picking 5th overall. Ballard needs all the draft picks he can get to improve this roster, and I believe Nelson could still be had after trading back 5 spots or so.