Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many of our recent free agents will be back?

Trace Pyott

I'm not exactly sure who we signed to one year prove it deals but I think I remember quite a few guys we picked up were for only one year. With some of them playing decent how many of them will be wanting a big pay day next year and price themselves out of our range?  I'm not exactly worried about the loss of talent per say I'm more worried about us having more holes we have to fill and won't be able to spend all our resources on our current needs which are o line, o line, o line, pass rush and a good coverage linebacker.   Also I know it takes time for a defensive unit to gel and I don't want to see too many new faces that screw up our continuity. Who are our free agents for next year and who if anyone do you see us retaining and how much will it affect our salary cap situation?

Looking at sporttrac this morning, according to them Simon is under contract thru 2019 Desir and Melvin both FA's after this season, honestly there is not much in the way of gray area for the off season for this team as the talent isn't there....the most critical of choices and (that's an arguable term) are Moncrief extend yes or no.....Mewhort extend yes or no......Gore (giving him the end of career 1 more season deal to reach personal milestones) Vinateri (essentially the same as Gore although he may want 2 years to do that) .....A small handful of EFRA/RFA to consider but none are gang buster type players at least in my opinion, and the Colts would be well served to adopt the "cheaper to keep her" mentality on those guys to fill out the roster, unless gangbusters somehow come our way.

1 hour ago, Trace Pyott said:

What about John Simon?  Wasn't he playing pretty well until he got injured? Is he on a one year deal too?  Oh yah what about Mingo is he a free agent next year?  If so would you guys bring him back?

I’d like to see Mingo brought back.  Simon too.  And definitely Melvin.

5 hours ago, crunked said:

Looking at sporttrac this morning, according to them Simon is under contract thru 2019 Desir and Melvin both FA's after this season, honestly there is not much in the way of gray area for the off season for this team as the talent isn't there....the most critical of choices and (that's an arguable term) are Moncrief extend yes or no.....Mewhort extend yes or no......Gore (giving him the end of career 1 more season deal to reach personal milestones) Vinateri (essentially the same as Gore although he may want 2 years to do that) .....A small handful of EFRA/RFA to consider but none are gang buster type players at least in my opinion, and the Colts would be well served to adopt the "cheaper to keep her" mentality on those guys to fill out the roster, unless gangbusters somehow come our way.

Why would they do this? That would be very disappointing...as it would signal to me that they aren't trying to win. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Why would they do this? That would be very disappointing...as it would signal to me that they aren't trying to win. 

Hence why I said the following: "the most critical of choices and (that's an arguable term)"

I am not advocating that they do or don't sign anyone....I was simply trying to clarify for the above posters (2) things. (1) Simon, Desir, Melvin's  contract status.....and (2) What (debatably/arguably/figuratively/as example-ish-y) the 4 possible hardest decisions would be.......my opinion and overall point is/was there isn't (for me) any super heart wrenching decisions to be made, some may be strategic and or advantageous for one reason or another depending on draft picks/free agents etc etc (suffice to say many things yet to pass) but for me, there is no, "absolutely re-sign this guy" situation.

I don't think Ballard's job is going to be that hard from a who to keep standpoint, as it is from a who to get perspective....if you have a good team full of talent, there are always a hand full of "don't want to lose that guy but can't keep everyone" sort of decisions that have to be made. The Colts are not dialing from that area code this year.....so not much to debate on the who to keep front.

9 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I'm not exactly sure who we signed to one year prove it deals but I think I remember quite a few guys we picked up were for only one year. With some of them playing decent how many of them will be wanting a big pay day next year and price themselves out of our range?  I'm not exactly worried about the loss of talent per say I'm more worried about us having more holes we have to fill and won't be able to spend all our resources on our current needs which are o line, o line, o line, pass rush and a good coverage linebacker.   Also I know it takes time for a defensive unit to gel and I don't want to see too many new faces that screw up our continuity. Who are our free agents for next year and who if anyone do you see us retaining and how much will it affect our salary cap situation?

If Luck comes back next season 100 % he can win us some games on his own. But I want us to be a good all-around team. Which means even if Luck doesn't come back we can still win a lot of games. 

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Seems to me, Gore is playing as physical football as anyone on the team. I'd be ok with 1 more but i doubt It happens.

6 hours ago, crunked said:

Hence why I said the following: "the most critical of choices and (that's an arguable term)"

I am not advocating that they do or don't sign anyone....I was simply trying to clarify for the above posters (2) things. (1) Simon, Desir, Melvin's  contract status.....and (2) What (debatably/arguably/figuratively/as example-ish-y) the 4 possible hardest decisions would be.......my opinion and overall point is/was there isn't (for me) any super heart wrenching decisions to be made, some may be strategic and or advantageous for one reason or another depending on draft picks/free agents etc etc (suffice to say many things yet to pass) but for me, there is no, "absolutely re-sign this guy" situation.

I don't think Ballard's job is going to be that hard from a who to keep standpoint, as it is from a who to get perspective....if you have a good team full of talent, there are always a hand full of "don't want to lose that guy but can't keep everyone" sort of decisions that have to be made. The Colts are not dialing from that area code this year.....so not much to debate on the who to keep front.

Bwahahahaha you made me literally lol with the colts aren't dialing from that area code comment hahaha!! Great one!