Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Basham Deserves Some Praise

Defjamz26

The guy who everyone swears is a bust, just had his second sack of the season. And it was a strip sack at that, granted the Jags recovered but, it was still a great play by a guy who gets very limited snaps.

I think Basham is going to be fine for us. We knew he was a project coming in. He’s done well with the limited role he’s played.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy for him but at this point he still trails Bjorn for sacks during his rookie season. He has been basically invisible. I think next year it would appropriate to expect to see him making a contribution. Coming from Ohio University the level of talent he is going up against is a huge leap. A good offseason and hopefully he can come in ready next year to attack.

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The guy who everyone swears is a bust, just had his second sack of the season. And it was a strip sack at that, granted the Jags recovered but, it was still a great play by a guy who gets very limited snaps.

I think Basham is going to be fine for us. We knew he was a project coming in. He’s done well with the limited role he’s played.

Agreed, he's getting the rookie treatment and hasn't got a real chance to do anything. Also, Werner was a 1st round pick, Basham is a 3rd rounder playing much less time in his rookie year. He's at least showing flashes. Hopefully he'll get more snaps as well as the rest of the rookie class once Pagano is gone. Right now, I'm being very lenient on this entire draft class until Pagano leaves and there is an unbiased opinion on these players by the coaching staff.

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm happy for him but at this point he still trails Bjorn for sacks during his rookie season. He has been basically invisible. I think next year it would appropriate to expect to see him making a contribution. Coming from Ohio University the level of talent he is going up against is a huge leap. A good offseason and hopefully he can come in ready next year to attack.

He’s playing behind Jabal Sheard and John Simon. I don’t expect him to put up 8+ sacks. And we’ve seen how Pagano has treated the rookies this year. For a 3rd round pick out of Ohio University, I think he’s done as well as could be expected.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I believe he'll be fine as well.  He's had to remake his entire game from the college level to the pros.  Has had to learn the proper way to rush with technique along with hand usage and the whole 9 yards.   Was mostly rushing from a 3 point stance in college and not doing some of the things that's required in this defense.  All of that change takes time.   Honestly I haven't heard a whole lot of hoopla on any of the rushers that came out of this class.  Doesn't mean they are bad, just means year 1 in most cases is a transition.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I believe he'll be fine as well.  He's had to remake his entire game from the college level to the pros.  Has had to learn the proper way to rush with technique along with hand usage and the whole 9 yards.   Was mostly rushing from a 3 point stance in college and not doing some of the things that's required in this defense.  All of that change takes time.   Honestly I haven't heard a whole lot of hoopla on any of the rushers that came out of this class.  Doesn't mean they are bad, just means year 1 in most cases is a transition.

Who knows...maybe we get him a running mate this offseason...and we have our Freeney/Mathis combo for years to come....just imagine how that would change our defense?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=SACKS&season=2017&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

he's in the top 10 for rookie sack leaders and he's done this with far less snaps than those in front of him. And he's got more than some of the other highly touted rookies coming out.

I think he will be fine long term, just needs better coaching up from his new staff in 2018. I don't expect him to be an elite pass rusher, but I could see his ceiling being around 8-12 sacks a year. 

I think Ballard will look to add another pass rusher in the draft. Someone like Lorenzo Carter would be nice in the late 2nd, early 3rd range. The very early picks should be spent on OL in my opinion since the FA class is weak there. Quenton Nelson, Martinas Rankin, and Braden Smith are OL prospects I really like. 

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yup. Charles Harris who went in the first round only has 1. I can’t wait for the next coaching staff to get their hands on him.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well werner was a starter since day 1 and basham is just a project for right now so his snaps are very limited

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Werner was a 1st round pick who was plugged in immediately as a starter, while Basham has had to earn his snaps playing behind Sheard & Simon. Kind of an apples to oranges comparison, but as long as we're comparing those 2 players, I seems clear to me that Basham is the more athletic of the 2.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. Charles Harris who went in the first round only has 1. I can’t wait for the next coaching staff to get their hands on him.

I'm looking to see what he looks like after hitting the weight room in the offseason and adding more muscle.  He's already strong so with some added muscle I think he'll show even more.

4 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Well werner was a starter since day 1 and basham is just a project for right now so his snaps are very limited

I understand his playing time is very limited....but fact is he hasn't shown much to even get on the field..much less make an impact....at least Werner was getting playing time and making tackles. But I've said all along I understand how big the leap is from the MAC to the NFL is...and this isn't Khalil Mack so we need to give him some time.

35 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=SACKS&season=2017&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

he's in the top 10 for rookie sack leaders and he's done this with far less snaps than those in front of him. And he's got more than some of the other highly touted rookies coming out.

Kind of cool to see that Basham and Hairston are tied for 8th.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

I've seen the bust comment referred to him a couple times on this forum. Can't remember which topic.

I hope he gets better and shows more for us. We really need the defensive talent.

Yes its been mentioned a few times in the sense that out of the picks Ballard has made so far only Hooker, Hairston, and Mack have turned out ok. No one has necessarily said he was a bust (well maybe a few) but a lot have basically written him into the same category as Wilson....disappointing lets say. I agree....as far as on the field performance it has been pretty disappointing.....that said he likely has a lot higher a curve to learn and get better than say Wilson who competed in the SEC against the highest competition. I agree that while he has been pretty much a no show we do need for him to take that next step next year.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I understand his playing time is very limited....but fact is he hasn't shown much to even get on the field..much less make an impact....at least Werner was getting playing time and making tackles. But I've said all along I understand how big the leap is from the MAC to the NFL is...and this isn't Khalil Mack so we need to give him some time.

Have you watched the Colts prior to the 2017 season? Pagano doesnt starts talented rookies over veterans. Werner was a 1st round pick you start your 1st round pick. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'm more or less talking about increasing his strength even more.  Not necessarily his weight.  I think he'll stay around 260 ish

Ah okay. Adding functional strength. I get it. Yeah he could use that. He’s already got the motor and the length. He’ll need power playing against guys like Lewan and Conklin twice a year.

A 3rd round pick deserves praise for getting his 2nd sack of the year in week 13? 

I’d have my shoe half way up his butt by now if I was his HC. 

I’m not labelling him a bust yet since it does sometimes take a while for college pass rushers to get up to pro speed, but I’m not impressed so far.

26 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm looking to see what he looks like after hitting the weight room in the offseason and adding more muscle.  He's already strong so with some added muscle I think he'll show even more.

His bench reps at the combine was pretty low at 18. He needs to step it up big time this off season.

I hope Basham turns into a great player, but right now he is a project player. Could be great or could be camp fodder in a couple of years. These things can turn any direction. 

We are heading in to week 14, and he has 2 sacks. It was a nice play, but let’s be realistic about this. When he starts getting near double digits sacks in a season then we can really get excited. 

7 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It doesn’t really matter how small his college conference was.  Walter Payton and Jerry Rice - were great right off the bat while Alabama RBs don’t do so well in the pros. Either you have it or you dont

That's kind of short sighted because the reality is most of the smaller school guys have a transition.  You're talking about exceptions to the rule.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ah okay. Adding functional strength. I get it. Yeah he could use that. He’s already got the motor and the length. He’ll need power playing against guys like Lewan and Conklin twice a year.

I think eventually he's going to be able to overpower some guys.  Sort of like Justin Houston or maybe Suggs.  Of course I'm not calling him Suggs, but he's got a similar frame to both of them. Just add on more muscle.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Shown what? To be honest I don't he fits our scheme he's had little to no time on the field and werner was a 1st round pick usually most 1st round picks starts during the season.....just give him more time it will show

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Didn’t Bjorn start though? Or rotated in much more often? I know he got playoff reps and I doubt Basham would be given that. 

6 hours ago, Aluckiswolverine said:

Have you watched the Colts prior to the 2017 season? Pagano doesnt starts talented rookies over veterans. Werner was a 1st round pick you start your 1st round pick. 

2017:  Hooker, Hairston

2016   Kelly, Haeg.

2015:  Anderson, Geathers, Parry

Pagano hasn't been given many talented rookies.     That's part of the reason why Grigson lost his job.

Pagano has nothing against rookies.     But you have to earn it.

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed, he's getting the rookie treatment and hasn't got a real chance to do anything. Also, Werner was a 1st round pick, Basham is a 3rd rounder playing much less time in his rookie year. He's at least showing flashes. Hopefully he'll get more snaps as well as the rest of the rookie class once Pagano is gone. Right now, I'm being very lenient on this entire draft class until Pagano leaves and there is an unbiased opinion on these players by the coaching staff.

Pagano has no problem with rookies.     He has starteded a number of them in his time.

But he hasn't been given many.      That's why Grigson is out of a job.

But when given talented rookies,   Pagano plays them.

Hooker, Hairston,  Kelly,  Haeg,  Anderson,  Geathers and Parry,  just to name some.