Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Andrew Luck Discussions (merge) The Dark Mystery of Andrew Luck

King Colt

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reported by Mort,

Will begin throwing next week upon his return to Indianapolis. If any pain is felt, there will be an immediate call for corrective surgery on bicep. The fact that it is even coming up, as others have mentioned for months, means it is a strong possibility.

Don't blame him for not wanting to go under the knife; it also explains why he upped and went to Europe for last ditch stand. Most respected medical professionals, Chao comes to mind, said he more than likely needed to get have the repair done months ago. 

We shall see. 

Wouldn't be too shocking if he does end up needing another surgery. Irsay did make sure to say "no surgery planned as of now." 

I'm probably just trying to prepare for the worst and hope for the best, but I think I'd be more surprised if he resumes throwing and just feels 100% again. The possibly good thing is that 3-6 month recovery time doesn't seem terribly long, even if it does go over a little bit.

10 minutes ago, GusFring said:

I posted he needed this wks ago. He should have done it already. LOL. This is the most mismanaged injury ever. I'm beginning to wonder if this is Lucks way to force Indy to draft a qb so he can leave. 

You were wrong then,  and you're wrong now.

The only thing is.......    you just don't know it.

But at least your consistent!

One thing that should be noted.....

IF Luck has to have another surgery the projection for recovery is 3-6 months.      So if Luck has it in early January,  then he'll be at roughly the four month mark when the draft rolls around.      At that point, the Colts should have a better idea of how the rehab and recovery is going....

I cannot find the article now but there was a doctor who performs the type of surgeries that Luck had on his shoulder who wrote and article a few months ago that said that the type of injury that Luck suffered often needs to have bicep surgery as well and he believed that the doctors treating Luck were missing this in his treatment. If anyone has the article I would love to read it again. 

Actually on another Thread this type of surgery was mentioned as it is to the bicep. Some players have had this after shoulder surgery, it is nothing new. If he has it in January, he has plenty of time to recover from this before next season starts. I am not worried about it. He needs to have it if he still feels pain when throwing.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually on another Thread this type of surgery was mentioned as it is to the bicep. Some players have had this after shoulder surgery, it is nothing new. If he has it in January, he has plenty of time to recover from this before next season starts. I am not worried about it. He needs to have it if he still feels pain when throwing.

Yup, it sounds like, worst case, he has this surgery in mid January and end up needing the full 6 months of recovery. That would put him ready to go in mid July, with training camp then opening up around the beginning of August. And that's the worst case, from what we've heard. He could not need surgery at all (it sounds like he and the Colts are optimistic that he won't) and be fully ready to go by OTAs, or he could have the surgery but recovery goes really well and he's a limited participant in OTAs. Overall, this isn't perfect news but I'd call this a positive.

4 minutes ago, MasterCrief said:

Yup, it sounds like, worst case, he has this surgery in mid January and end up needing the full 6 months of recovery. That would put him ready to go in mid July, with training camp then opening up around the beginning of August. And that's the worst case, from what we've heard. He could not need surgery at all (it sounds like he and the Colts are optimistic that he won't) and be fully ready to go by OTAs, or he could have the surgery but recovery goes really well and he's a limited participant in OTAs. Overall, this isn't perfect news but I'd call this a positive.

Yep. The best thing the Colts did this season was shut him down so he can get 100% right by next season. I have a lot patience and see this as glass half full, some may not, but I don't see this as surprising or anything to be alarmed about if he has the surgery. With him being out it got us a high Draft pick as well.

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Time to start looking for another QB.

Brissett cannot be counted on to carry this team again next year.

So wait, Luck says he's optimistic that he won't need another surgery. IF he does it's a 3 to 6 month window of recovery and you take away from that "time to get a new QB".

Crazy.

This is why we can't have nice things.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That was my thread with the doc talk8ng about whats wrong. The doctor seemed to duggest Luck would need the surgery regardless. 

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

So wait, Luck says he's optimistic that he won't need another surgery. IF he does it's a 3 to 6 month window of recovery and you take away from that "time to get a new QB".

Crazy.

Some people around here give up too easy and are impatient. Just the way it is around here.

It's funny because a few weeks back Francesa (the radio guy) had a Dr on that basically said if he's having trouble it's probably the bicep and not the shoulder. Looks like he was correct if this becomes the case.

Apparently this happens someone's in rotator cuff injuries because after the shoulder is corrected the bicep sometimes isn't lined up 100% like it was prior to surgery.

He also said it's not a big deal because of the 2/3 month rehab.

Fingers crossed he doesn't need anything done of course.

28 minutes ago, Xander said:

So IF he gets pain again, he will have this surgery. Well the recovery time isn’t bad. This doesn’t sound too terrible..

but is this an injury that an NFL quarterback can come back from? Anyone have any knowledge of that?

Yes it is. This surgery isn't that bad and is necessary if he still has pain throwing.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Crazy.

So you don't think the management should look into another QB?

Just keep our fingers crossed and take a chance that everything will turn out ok with Andrew Luck?

Just now, 1959Colts said:

How many more seasons like 2017 do you think we should endure? 

None, but I have no reason to believe Luck wont be healthy to start in 2018. Even if he has the surgery, it's not as major as the one he had on his shoulder. Maybe I am being naïve or to positive to believe he will back to 100% next season but it's rare for his type of injury to end a career. He is still young at 28 and is a great athlete + has the best medicine's possible.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, The Fish said:

Who doesn't love a conspiracy?

Short term memory loss melts steel..

He's not throwing. He's re-habing and they're waiting to see how this treatment takes over the course of the next month. They said he'd talk at the end of the season. He's either going to need more surgery or not.. (and if the Colts would have scored more points than the Jags today, they would have won).

They say no other surgery is needed at this time.

7 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

They say no other surgery is needed at this time.

But he may? So my point is, could it hurt to consider another quality QB?

Even if Luck does return, we would then have two.

When Andrew Luck returns from from his European treatments soon, he will resume a throwing regimen that will ultimately determine whether he needs corrective surgery to his biceps tendon, per multiple sources.

I wonder how to take this news. The doctor on the interview shared by @GusFring above explains pretty well what the issue very likely is and he did that 2 months ago. He also says time will NOT help with this issue - if it is the issue it needs surgery. Which means that if it was the issue 2 months ago, it is very likely it is still the issue no matter what he did in Europe. 

Also, if the Colts knew this is a possibility(likelihood?), why the hell did they lie and hide it from the fans? Do they really think this helps anything? Why not just say - we will try rehabbing and if it doesn't help he will need bicep surgery and explain that this is regular occurrence with labrum tears? The PR of Luck's injury has been horribly horribly mismanaged. 

Something else that gives me pause - Luck was not supposed to throw until January. Now they are saying he will throw this coming week? Is it Luck feeling great and them going ahead of schedule on the rehab? Or is it them trying to make determination on a new surgery as quickly as possible in order for him to have more time for rehab with possible earlier surgery? 

I'm very confused by this development.