Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Worst special teams mistake

Mr.NotSoCreative

At a buddy's house watching game today, the Jags pulled off a perfect fake punt. We were certain that our staff could not have dialed up such a play nor did we think our guys could have executed (sorry Berto never seen your arm bro). We immediatley strated talking about McAfee's fake although we could not remember who dropped it. A debate broke out that it was the biggest special teams blunder we had ever seen due to the impact it had. Did it keep us from going to the Super Bowl that year? Also, who the heck dropped it? My vote btw was the dude that dropped the onside kick for the Packers. Whats yours?

From our perspective?  Hank Baskett.

By the way, since we're talking special teams, I just saw something unusual in the Raiders game.  King the punter was tackled with the ball in his hands, before he had a chance to punt - no bobbled snap or anything.  The defender was in the backfield so quickly he tackled the punter with the ball in his hands.  

That Dewey McDonald drop against the Cowboys was in a week 16 game when the Colts had nothing to play for. I don't think that exactly stopped us from going to any superbowl.

Unless you're talking about the Brandon Bostick drop vs Seattle that same season in the NFCCG. Still the worst late game collapse I've seen live. 

I can't believe any Colts fan would not say it was Griff Whalen's illegal snap on a Sunday night against the Patriots. All of your guys were lined up on the right, including Pat McAfee, except Whalen and the player who took his illegal snap. Ever since a flag was thrown for the illegal formation against #17, the entire media has been calling it the worst play in NFL history.

46 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I can't believe any Colts fan would not say it was Griff Whalen's illegal snap on a Sunday night against the Patriots. All of your guys were lined up on the right, including Pat McAfee, except Whalen and the player who took his illegal snap. Ever since a flag was thrown for the illegal formation against #17, the entire media has been calling it the worst play in NFL history.

That wasn't exactly how it went down, but yes, I'm sure everyone remembers it.

He mentioned impact, however.  That play happened relatively early in a season the Colts finished 8-8.  In the end, it didn't mean much.

Hank Baskett failing to field an onside kick arguably cost us a Super Bowl.

13 hours ago, #12. said:

Hank Baskett failing to field an onside kick arguably cost us a Super Bowl.

Sean Payton learned it from Bill Parcells, try to steal a possession wherever you can. Once we punted before the half and the score became 10-6 after the Saints got a FG before the half, the onside kick plans were on.

Chances are, if it is the Patriots, they pass going into the half to extend the 10-3 lead to 13-3. Hence if the score was 10-3 or 13-3, Sean Payton probably does not attempt that onside kick. We ran conservatively 3 times and punted it back to them.

Bill Parcells, whose DC was Bill Belichick with the Giants, did the same vs Jim Kelly and The Buffalo Bills, shrunk the game, and minimized possessions for the Bills offense, a whopping 42 to 18 minutes in favor of the Giants in the SB where Norwood kicked wide right. Sean Payton learned from the best and once the squeeze was on incrementally with Brees converting 80+ % of his passes, dinking and dunking us to death, it was a matter of time in the 60 minute game before they got the lead and the pick six was the nail in the coffin. 

I would have to rank that onside recovery gaffe by the backup TE of the Packers (Bostick) that sent the Seahawks to the 2014 SB up there as well. Your sure hands guy Jordy Nelson was right behind you, and all you had to do was "do your job" and box out the guy in front of you. Instead, you go for the ball, tip it to be recovered by the Seahawks, and the Packers' D, that played contain on RW throughout the game phenomenally, could not hold for 1 last possession once the momentum changed.