Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Moncrief return next season?

colt18

The WR free agent market is thin.  I don’t know what you do with Moncrief, but if he is realistic about his worth, I’d hope the Colts re-sign him.  The list of FAs isn’t impressive, and I don’t think the Colts find a comparable player in later rounds of the draft (way too many needs to draft a WR early).   

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Even if we did go to a quicker passing game Moncrief would still be needed to stretch the field.

The receiving crew is the least of our problems when Luck is on the field.

You are right. There is no way Ballard could find a better all-around player. How _____!

13 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

The WR free agent market is thin.  I don’t know what you do with Moncrief, but if he is realistic about his worth, I’d hope the Colts re-sign him.  The list of FAs isn’t impressive, and I don’t think the Colts find a comparable player in later rounds of the draft (way too many needs to draft a WR early).   

it may come down to what other teams want to offer him.  even if ballard is not impressed we could end up taking a flier on our own player  

Just now, aaron11 said:

it may come down to what other teams want to offer him.  even if ballard is not impressed we could end up taking a flier on our own player  

That's the rub - in a down market, could Moncrief's stock actually rise, pricing himself out of the Colts plans?  It wouldn't surprise me.  And the truth is, that's ok, as even those who really like him would have to admit he is replaceable.  His production can be found elsewhere.  His real upside is he's a known player, but when the offense changes, again, and it will, even that doesn't necessarily buy you anything.  And that doesn't even get into where he wants to play - he may well want to head closer to home, see if there are bites from New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.  I kinda get the feeling that he may be ready for change, that the criticism and the losing this year might be enough for him to move on. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

I'm still waiting on him to show up this season. 

We all get it was an imperfect set of circumstances, but I agree, I am shocked his contract year was spent as unnoticeable as it was...  Picked a bad time to be that absent. 

32 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

That's the rub - in a down market, could Moncrief's stock actually rise, pricing himself out of the Colts plans?  It wouldn't surprise me.  And the truth is, that's ok, as even those who really like him would have to admit he is replaceable.  His production can be found elsewhere.  His real upside is he's a known player, but when the offense changes, again, and it will, even that doesn't necessarily buy you anything.  And that doesn't even get into where he wants to play - he may well want to head closer to home, see if there are bites from New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, etc.  I kinda get the feeling that he may be ready for change, that the criticism and the losing this year might be enough for him to move on. 

now that you mention it i could see atlanta being interested in him.  he may not get many yards there, but he could be dangerous in the redzone with julio taking the coverage

he kind of reminds me of a poor mans dez bryant, would be funny to see him in dallas 

52 minutes ago, crunked said:

Couldn't help but notice Moncrief didn't celebrate any of his catches yesterday.....someone is listening to the criticism....I know I appreciated not seeing it, but I am old school in that regard.....

Noticed too, and better not to see foolish act with 5 yard catch. He can go too for 18. Would like to see a whole team of Pros like Gore

45 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I'm still waiting on him to show up this season. 

Honestly no one outside of Doyle and maybe Ty has shown up this season.  And that's sort of what happens when you have bad quarterback play.  I think Moncrief is better than what weve seen this year.  But when the decision making starts I'm not sure that excuse is going to buy him much time.  He won't have much leverage.

There is a guy that the Broncos tried to trade before the trade deadline - DeMaryius Thomas. To me, he is like "sheep", that needs a leader to guide him and a QB he will follow. Peyton provided that to him. Even Tebow provided that to him. A QB that can be a leader, like Andrew Luck, would be the perfect guy to have him. Siemian does not have it in him.

Let go of Moncrief, re-negotiate DT's salary (or ask Broncos to eat part of it), give up a 4th or 5th rounder in return, and I think we have a good starting wide out who can moved around anywhere on the field, AND is a good red zone target.

Then, add Jarvis Landry underneath after letting go of Kamar Aiken, our offensive personnel gets SO MUCH better.

3 hours ago, krunk said:

Honestly no one outside of Doyle and maybe Ty has shown up this season.  And that's sort of what happens when you have bad quarterback play.  I think Moncrief is better than what weve seen this year.  But when the decision making starts I'm not sure that excuse is going to buy him much time.  He won't have much leverage.

He's seen a lot of balls this season that we're definitely catchable that he just didn't haul in.  

And thats kind of been the recurring theme throughout his career. There are sometimes you find yourself going "ok, this guy has it." Then other times you see him drop a ball as go "I don't even know". 

I think that we might be in for a shock if we're expecting him to only get cheap "prove it" offers. 

Look at the contracts players like Mohamed Sanu and Robert Woods got on the open market. I can't see why Moncrief would be significantly less especially when his poor year can be easily excused by the quarterback and general team performance. 

If we want to keep him then we're going to have to pay him, especially with the lack of other options available in the market.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

There is a guy that the Broncos tried to trade before the trade deadline - DeMaryius Thomas. To me, he is like "sheep", that needs a leader to guide him and a QB he will follow. Peyton provided that to him. Even Tebow provided that to him. A QB that can be a leader, like Andrew Luck, would be the perfect guy to have him. Siemian does not have it in him.

Let go of Moncrief, re-negotiate DT's salary (or ask Broncos to eat part of it), give up a 4th or 5th rounder in return, and I think we have a good starting wide out who can moved around anywhere on the field, AND is a good red zone target.

Then, add Jarvis Landry underneath after letting go of Kamar Aiken, our offensive personnel gets SO MUCH better.

If we got DT, we prolly aren’t getting Landry too. Personally, while Landry is good, I don’t think we would really need him with Hilton already out there.

Does Moncrief return next season?

If he will accept a contract commensurate with the performance he as so far shown, sure, why not.

If, however, he is looking for a big payday, the compensation of which far exceeds what he has so far shown on the field, then no, not a chance.

So far, he has been a big disappointment, to me.  Time will tell, though, if he is resigned and can finally perform up to the level of talent that so many of us think he potentially has..