Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Moncrief return next season?

colt18

I think Moncrief is a good receiver with a ton of potential, but he's been hindered by injuries and lack of Luck. He's awesome with Luck in the game, and while he does get open with Brissett, he's been flat out disappointing with drops. I wouldn't mind replacing him with Terrelle Pryor, who's also going to be a free agent next year. 

Beyond Ballard....   I think the next most important opinion might belong to our new WR coach.   

He might be retained with the new staff and Ballard may value his opinion on Moncrief's chances of staying or going more than most any other...

It might just depend on how much Donte would want to return?

I think he is overrated on this forum.  He should be able to get open.  He should be able to compete for 50/50 balls.

When he does make a reception, it is usually a body catch.  He looks afraid to extend and snatch balls out of the air.

My optimism for him has run out.

36 minutes ago, ClaytonC said:

I think he is overrated on this forum.  He should be able to get open.  He should be able to compete for 50/50 balls.

When he does make a reception, it is usually a body catch.  He looks afraid to extend and snatch balls out of the air.

Agree. Body catchers do not succeed in this league. Moncrief instinctively body catches. Not to mention his inability to catch in traffic. I'd be shocked if Ballard even offered him a contract. Move on. 

Before this season, I was sure Moncrief was poised for a break out season. This season feels like not just a step backward, but a sprint in the opposite direction. However, I try to soften that stance, with the fact our O-line doesn't allow for much time to make progressions and our QB is a young back up that doesn't read quickly through those progressions. Still Donte' s alligator arms early in the season, and some of his antics in losing efforts sours me on him.....so now I am probably more apathetic to whether he stays or goes, defaulting to film watchers to tell me is it him, or the circumstance as far as his disappointing output have been.

If you can get him cheap, I would bring him back for continuity.  Luck hasn't played football in a year, and upon returning, will be playing in a new offense.  At least give him some familiar faces to throw to.  If he's throwing to WRs he has a connection with, it probably speeds up his return to form.

Also, with a healthy Luck, there was nothing wrong with the passing game.  The passing game last year was elite.  There is plenty wrong with the rest of the team, but the passing game, you don't have to worry about.  Re-sign Moncrief for a reasonable amount and focus on O-line and D.

3 hours ago, ClaytonC said:

I agree and I don't think he will ever reach his potential here.

I think he will be back.  He's a young receiver and everyone was expecting a breakout year for him with Luck and an improved OL.  Well, no Luck and the line fell apart.  Not to mention a new QB to work with.  I expect he comes back and we still look for another WR in FA.   Jeffrey just signed an extension today an I'm expecting the same for Landry.  I'm hoping for Watkins.  We'll see. 

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:
  1. i hope not, injuries have held him back and i dont think he will ever reach his full potential with our team. He is also a Grigson pick and im sure Ballard is not going to have a hard time letting him walk. I dont see him returning.

Him being a Grigson pick has exactly zero to do with him being resigned. This roster is full of Grigson picks and he didn't miss on all of his picks.

Do I think DM will be resigned? I have no clue. Ballard has his work cut out for him for sure.

He will be assessed just like every player on this team other than a handful.

On paper he has all the traits to be a very successful receiver in the NFL but to this point he has not showed to be anything more than a red zone threat . If he is willing to be paid accordingly he is worth bringing back to compete for a spot . 

Personally I am hoping to see the WR group be overhauled this offseason . Would like to see a prototype number 1 receiver and a veteran route runner brought in .

7 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Terrelle pryor? Lol this is why I don't take this serious....pryor is trash but moncrief might get a one year deal to prove himself with luck coming back he can make some tough catches and he's a good redzone target

Pryor isn’t trash. He’s a huge athletic target. He’d be a great fit next to Hilton, pretty much what Moncrief was supposed to be. 

He also wouldn’t cost much. He signed a 1 year 8m deal with the Skins and is on IR. It might just be cheaper to sign him than resign Moncrief.

5 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Pryor isn’t trash. He’s a huge athletic target. He’d be a great fit next to Hilton, pretty much what Moncrief was supposed to be. 

He also wouldn’t cost much. He signed a 1 year 8m deal with the Skins and is on IR. It might just be cheaper to sign him than resign Moncrief.

If Luck does return how do we know DM won't return to be what he was when Luck was healthy? He had 7 TDs and averaged 10.2 yards per catch after only starting 7 games and playing in 9.  Like it or not there are much more pressing needs that to worry about DM.

I believe he's resigned so T.Y., Moncrief and Chester Rogers can have continuity with Luck. Brissett (God Bless him) simply cannot make the same throws as Luck therefore there are a lot of routes run where he can't conceptualize the route running itself open or just plain can't see them open.....

So yes, he's big, fast, knows the offense and he should be relatively cheap.

1 hour ago, colt18 said:

He is trash he has alot of drops this season that's why kirk wasn't throwing the ball to him that much after ahwile just draft a wr we'll be fine and we can sign moncrief for the same price maybe cheaper

20 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

He is trash he has alot of drops this season that's why kirk wasn't throwing the ball to him that much after ahwile just draft a wr we'll be fine and we can sign moncrief for the same price maybe cheaper

He also has had a better season than Crief ever has playing with what ever bum the Browns trotted out . 

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If Luck does return how do we know DM won't return to be what he was when Luck was healthy? He had 7 TDs and averaged 10.2 yards per catch after only starting 7 games and playing in 9.  Like it or not there are much more pressing needs that to worry about DM.

The thing about Moncrief is that he’s always been relatively injury prone. I don’t doubt that he can be productive, and yes we have more pressing needs than Moncrief. We don’t necessarily have to splurge on another WR, TP would come on the cheap and I’m sure there are other cheap options.

It comes down to banking on him staying healthy. I think we will go with that and resign him, especially since Luck has been hurt. I wouldn’t be surprised if we try to upgrade tho 

15 hours ago, colt18 said:

I think Moncrief is a good receiver with a ton of potential, but he's been hindered by injuries and lack of Luck. He's awesome with Luck in the game, and while he does get open with Brissett, he's been flat out disappointing with drops. I wouldn't mind replacing him with Terrelle Pryor, who's also going to be a free agent next year. 

no

2 hours ago, B~Town said:

He also has had a better season than Crief ever has playing with what ever bum the Browns trotted out . 

Yeah pryor had one decent season and he only had 4 TD catches that year since then he hasn't done nothing he's not that good atleast moncrief has been somewhat consistent getting pass injuries and all

I would re-sign him, it's not like he is going to break the bank. He has proven to be a reliable red zone target last season. I'm not going to fault him for having a down year this year, even TY's production has plummeted. Moncrief is only 24 yrs old too, which is kind of crazy for a fourth yr player, for comparison sake Kamar Aiken has 5 yrs in the league and he is 28 yrs old. So he still has some potential for development.  

I hope not. Moncrief is nothing but an average WR 3 and a typical overrated forum favorite: a guy with so much potential and great measureables, but won’t ever do anything with it. He’s in the same boat as Green, Swoope, Dorsett, etc...Sign Landry instead. A guy who doesn’t have Moncrief’s measureables But is a far superior player and isn’t soft.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I hope not. Moncrief is nothing but an average WR 3 and a typical overrated forum favorite: a guy with so much potential and great measureables, but won’t ever do anything with it. He’s in the same boat as Green, Swoope, Dorsett, etc...Sign Landry instead. A guy who doesn’t have Moncrief’s measureables But is a far superior player and isn’t soft.

I can't agree to your comment at all.

2014- 2 starts, 444 yards and 3 TDs.

2015- 10 starts, 733 yards and 6 TDs

2016- 7 starts, 307 and 7TDs.

He has averaged 11.8 yards per catch.

Those are not numbers reflective of a WR 3

This year really cant be used as anything measurable because of the teams issues. He has lived up to his 3rd round pick IMO.

With Luck back on the field Moncrief is a #2 receiver all day.

So, does anyone want to see our offense throw more QUICK passes?

Has Moncrief, given you ANY reason to want him for that purpose.

Does he run a really good quick slant? Have the hands for it?

Give us a guy that we want to go to on 3rd down to move the chains.

If Ballard can't find a better option, we are in trouble.

17 hours ago, B~Town said:

He has 5 total TDs in 6 years and 4 of them came in one season. You can't take an example of one season and call him any better than DM.

What has he done in Washington? 20 catches with 1 TD and that is with Cousins and he is no bum.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

If Ballard can't find a better option, we are in trouble

Last year, the passing game was elite - 6th in the league.

Yes, I do want a more efficient offense, and one is likely on the way, but the passing game is the least of my worries.  If Moncrief and the same pass catchers return, we're not "in trouble."

If the same O-line and ILBs return, then yes, we're in trouble.  

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

He has 5 total TDs in 6 years and 4 of them came in one season. You can't take an example of one season and call him any better than DM.

What has he done in Washington? 20 catches with 1 TD and that is with Cousins and he is no bum.

he was a QB for a while. he has only been a WR for 28 games, less than two seasons.  i wouldnt sign him though 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

So, does anyone want to see our offense throw more QUICK passes?

Has Moncrief, given you ANY reason to want him for that purpose.

Does he run a really good quick slant? Have the hands for it?

Give us a guy that we want to go to on 3rd down to move the chains.

If Ballard can't find a better option, we are in trouble.

Even if we did go to a quicker passing game Moncrief would still be needed to stretch the field.

The receiving crew is the least of our problems when Luck is on the field.