Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Scheme/mock Draft

Some people have been questioning what defense should we go to next year. We could go to 3-4, but do we have the right personnel? I dont think we do.

Nevis isnt as effective when asked to maintain a gap opposed to simply shooting the gap so he wouldnt fit well in a 3-4 as a 5 tech. Plus we have no NT on top of that. In other words if we where to go to a 3-4 we would have to get a completely different Dline.

Linebackers could work. Freeney and Mathis would continue to be pass rushers but now from a 2 point stance. I dont see any problems in that transition, even with Freeney. Angerer and Wheeler/Conner would be the 2 ILBs.

Secondary we need help regardless of scheme.

So that brings me to my next point. I'd love to see a 3-4, but we dont have the right players...Or do we? We cant run a traditional 3-4 but we can run Wade Phillips one gap 3-4. Im sure most of you know the responsibilities in a normal 34 so I wont get into that, but Phillips has a unique version that could fit what the colts do. In his version the linemen shoot the gap to create penetration. Including the NT. The good thing about this is that it is what Nevis excels at. This style of D does not need a 350lb NT because he has the same job as the ends, or 300+ DEs. Just needs nice sized guys (ex. Nevis at 290-300lbs) With good motors that can wreck havoc in the backfield. Freeney and Mathis would move to OLB and continue to create pressure. Angerer and probably Wheeler would be the ILBs. (That area will need improvement, but cant all be done in 1 year). This defense requires a good SS to play run support, since their is no gap assignment, the RB has a possibility of a cutback and the SS needs to be there to clean it up. So improvement at that position becomes mandatory. In my opinion, this defense is the best chance we got to create a top 10 in the first year. Plus I believe SD ran it. Didnt we get their DC? I think Pagano has got this D in mind as well.

Ok so now for the Mock:

1. Andrew Luck- QB

TRADE -34 to mid round for a 3rd plus future pick

2. Brandon Thompson- NT

- He excels at penetration, getting into the backfield and collapsing the pocket. Has a great motor plus can play at all 3 positions on this Dline.

3. Kevin Zeitler- RG

-2nd best guard in the draft, big, physical and can play Day 1.

3. Billy Winn DE- Another high motor guy for the Dline. And guess what he excels at? Yes, shooting the gap to get penetration.

* Starting Dline is complete with Nevis, Thompson, Winn. All similar size and style, and can play all 3 positions.

4. Casey Hayward CB- one of my favorite players in this draft. Would be a steal in the 4th.

4. Jordan White WR- Only had 143 receptions for 1900 yards and 17 TDs this year. Probably the steal of the draft, great hands, solid route runner and 2nd only to Blackmon in ability to read D. Sounds like a Colts WR huh?

5. George Iioka SS- Big Safty, solid tackler. Could be immediate help in ST as well.

6. Miles Burris OLB- Underrated OLB because of his school. But could be a excellent OLB and at the least will be a ST star.

7. BPA

In FA we grab: Laron Landry AND Bob Sanders. Both have similar style of play but as we all know are injury prone. Thats why we get both, for cheap. Having Bob sanders as a part of the rotation instead of starter could be the best thing for his career. And i feel like Landry has just had a string of bad luck but will heal up and continue his career. Oherwise sign smaller named guys, and use our avaibable cap resign as much players as we can.

So our needs this year where: RG, C, WR, QB, DE, NT, ILB, CB, SS ...Id say, that would be a very successful offseason. Either giving Luck a solid team to work with or Peyton a good chance to win a SB.

Thoughts?

I have a feeling Iloka will be gone by the 3rd round, but I love his size and skill set.

For a WR in that range I am still a huge Fan of Marvin Jones or Marvin McNutt (hopefully the same luck that we had with that last Marvin we drafted.)

lastly Instead of Winn I would prefer to get Audie Cole there, we could slide Moala over to DE in a 3-4 (which was his position in college) and Cole would give us a 2nd ILB to play alongside Angere giving us this front 7.

Nevis, Thompson, Moala

Freeney/Mathis, Cole, Angerer, Wheeler/Hughes

then having Mookie as a back up to Thompson and maybe play Freeney and Jamaal Anderson as a DE some also to give Nevis and Moala breathers I think we would have a solid core that could easily switch from 3-4 to 4-3 without a hitch.

Love Zeitler and Heyward, both will be great at the next level

Some people have been questioning what defense should we go to next year. We could go to 3-4, but do we have the right personnel? I dont think we do.

Nevis isnt as effective when asked to maintain a gap opposed to simply shooting the gap so he wouldnt fit well in a 3-4 as a 5 tech. Plus we have no NT on top of that. In other words if we where to go to a 3-4 we would have to get a completely different Dline.

Linebackers could work. Freeney and Mathis would continue to be pass rushers but now from a 2 point stance. I dont see any problems in that transition, even with Freeney. Angerer and Wheeler/Conner would be the 2 ILBs.

Secondary we need help regardless of scheme.

So that brings me to my next point. I'd love to see a 3-4, but we dont have the right players...Or do we? We cant run a traditional 3-4 but we can run Wade Phillips one gap 3-4. Im sure most of you know the responsibilities in a normal 34 so I wont get into that, but Phillips has a unique version that could fit what the colts do. In his version the linemen shoot the gap to create penetration. Including the NT. The good thing about this is that it is what Nevis excels at. This style of D does not need a 350lb NT because he has the same job as the ends, or 300+ DEs. Just needs nice sized guys (ex. Nevis at 290-300lbs) With good motors that can wreck havoc in the backfield. Freeney and Mathis would move to OLB and continue to create pressure. Angerer and probably Wheeler would be the ILBs. (That area will need improvement, but cant all be done in 1 year). This defense requires a good SS to play run support, since their is no gap assignment, the RB has a possibility of a cutback and the SS needs to be there to clean it up. So improvement at that position becomes mandatory. In my opinion, this defense is the best chance we got to create a top 10 in the first year. Plus I believe SD ran it. Didnt we get their DC? I think Pagano has got this D in mind as well.

Ok so now for the Mock:

1. Andrew Luck- QB

TRADE -34 to mid round for a 3rd plus future pick

2. Brandon Thompson- NT

- He excels at penetration, getting into the backfield and collapsing the pocket. Has a great motor plus can play at all 3 positions on this Dline.

3. Kevin Zeitler- RG

-2nd best guard in the draft, big, physical and can play Day 1.

3. Billy Winn DE- Another high motor guy for the Dline. And guess what he excels at? Yes, shooting the gap to get penetration.

* Starting Dline is complete with Nevis, Thompson, Winn. All similar size and style, and can play all 3 positions.

4. Casey Hayward CB- one of my favorite players in this draft. Would be a steal in the 4th.

4. Jordan White WR- Only had 143 receptions for 1900 yards and 17 TDs this year. Probably the steal of the draft, great hands, solid route runner and 2nd only to Blackmon in ability to read D. Sounds like a Colts WR huh?

5. George Iioka SS- Big Safty, solid tackler. Could be immediate help in ST as well.

6. Miles Burris OLB- Underrated OLB because of his school. But could be a excellent OLB and at the least will be a ST star.

7. BPA

In FA we grab: Laron Landry AND Bob Sanders. Both have similar style of play but as we all know are injury prone. Thats why we get both, for cheap. Having Bob sanders as a part of the rotation instead of starter could be the best thing for his career. And i feel like Landry has just had a string of bad luck but will heal up and continue his career. Oherwise sign smaller named guys, and use our avaibable cap resign as much players as we can.

So our needs this year where: RG, C, WR, QB, DE, NT, ILB, CB, SS ...Id say, that would be a very successful offseason. Either giving Luck a solid team to work with or Peyton a good chance to win a SB.

Thoughts?

That is the only real way to make the 3-4 work with current personnel, but I would change some of the picks mine would look like this:

3. Leonard or Trumaine Johnson CB

3. Amini Silatou LG

4. Nigel Bradham ILB

4. Kheeston Randal DE

5. Ryan Broyles WR

6. Matt Daniels SS

7. Antoine McClain or Ryan Miller RG

I have a feeling Iloka will be gone by the 3rd round, but I love his size and skill set.

For a WR in that range I am still a huge Fan of Marvin Jones or Marvin McNutt (hopefully the same luck that we had with that last Marvin we drafted.)

lastly Instead of Winn I would prefer to get Audie Cole there, we could slide Moala over to DE in a 3-4 (which was his position in college) and Cole would give us a 2nd ILB to play alongside Angere giving us this front 7.

Nevis, Thompson, Moala

Freeney/Mathis, Cole, Angerer, Wheeler/Hughes

then having Mookie as a back up to Thompson and maybe play Freeney and Jamaal Anderson as a DE some also to give Nevis and Moala breathers I think we would have a solid core that could easily switch from 3-4 to 4-3 without a hitch.

Love Zeitler and Heyward, both will be great at the next level

I dont see Nevis playing 5 tech. Doesnt suit his style. Moala has the size, but doesnt have the game, so he doesnt fit their either. Cole is good, but our LBs are capable enough. We need a great Dline, Winn is an underrated Dlinemen. I like both Marvin Jones and Marvin Mcnut but McNutt will go 2nd, and id rather go D at that spot. And White is a better receiver then Jones so it makes more sense to grab him.

I dont see Nevis playing 5 tech. Doesnt suit his style. Moala has the size, but doesnt have the game, so he doesnt fit their either. Cole is good, but our LBs are capable enough. We need a great Dline, Winn is an underrated Dlinemen. I like both Marvin Jones and Marvin Mcnut but McNutt will go 2nd, and id rather go D at that spot. And White is a better receiver then Jones so it makes more sense to grab him.

I dunno, i can't see Conner or Wheeler playing ILB, they are both way too small. Wheeler could easily transition to OLB though, that is why I went with Cole, because if you look at our current ILB candidates, Angerer and maybe Brackett are the only two that would fit.

That is the only real way to make the 3-4 work with current personnel, but I would change some of the picks mine would look like this:

3. Amini Silatou LG

4. Nigel Bradham ILB

4. Kheeston Randal DE

5. Ryan Broyles WR

6. Matt Daniels SS

I like Zeitler better then Silatou and im still gunna vouch for Hayward. He can be had later then Leonard and i think will turn out better. Hopefully even great with Pagano coaching. I like the Bradham choice though. I had him as an option in the 4th but changed it for a White. And i actually forgot about Randal when i made this. He could easily go in Winn's place.

I dunno, i can't see Conner or Wheeler playing ILB, they are both way too small. Wheeler could easily transition to OLB though, that is why I went with Cole, because if you look at our current ILB candidates, Angerer and maybe Brackett are the only two that would fit.

Wheeler is more effective as the extra rusher on the blitz. Not so much a guy you want rushing the passer 80%+ of the time. Which is why i have him at ILB. But really besides Angerer (assuming Brackett leaves) Is the only real ILB we have. But a solid dline and Secondary should make up for the average ILBs for this year.

Great post and great discussions! This is how those of us who don't follow college ball learn. I appreciate both the information on the players as well as the thought that went into this mock.

I do think people will be surprised, however, by the amount of plays we run out of a 4-3 alignment. I really expect to see a lot of both, and agree with fvantagio that we could use a lot of Wade Philiips' 3-4 schemes.

Nevis will be more effective if he plays NT in a Wade Philips 1-gap style 3-4 front, IMO. If we go with the Wade Philips' style of 3-4 for our 3-4 portion of the hybrid, Nevis will be a perfect fit, along with Brandon Thompson. I think playing the 1-gap 3-4 front allows us to draft more players from a bigger pool plus retain the 1-gap style of play we can draft our 4-3 DTs for.

Look at Brandon Thompson's scouting profile and how closely he is compared to Drake Nevis in this scouting profile:

http://www.cbssports...randon-thompson

Key excerpts:

Two years ago a relatively unknown defensive tackle from LSU enjoyed a strong second half of his junior season, laying the foundation for a breakout 2010 campaign. Drake Nevis started zero games in 2009, yet still led his team's defensive linemen with 50 stops, including 11 tackles for loss and four sacks. Nearly half of that production came in the final five games of the season. A year later, his numbers weren't that much more impressive (56 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, six sacks), yet he went from being an unheralded backup to an All-American.

Clemson's Brandon Thompson appears capable of following a similar path.

A little taller and just as quick off the snap as Nevis, Thompson quietly emerged as one of the nation's most disruptive defensive tackles in all of college football over the second half of the 2010 season.

We forget how good Drake Nevis can be because we stopped watching him once he went on the injury list and then on IR. Drake Nevis and Brandon Thompson for that 1-gap NT, I am confident that will be a success.

Read this for more info on the 1-gap 3-4 front developed by Bum Philips and continued by Wade Philips:

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2009/09bramel_idpguide.php

I think the Colts can become a legit 3-4 hybrid that the ravens had with just a few more pick ups then being a 3-4 1 gap.

http://mobile.baltim...e-ravens-hybrid

That's the article it's a good read of responsibilities. The issue is some of the players won't fit the scheme especially in the front 7.

Haloti Ngata makes that hybrid tick. It will be mighty hard to find one like him for a while, IMO, that combo of size and athleticism.

Our 4-3 D-linemen drafted have a greater chance of succeeding in a 1-gap 3-4 with the 1-gap responsibilities, IMO.

conner has close to 10lbs on angerer

3. Amini Silatou LG

4. Nigel Bradham ILB

4. Kheeston Randal DE

5. Ryan Broyles WR

6. Matt Daniels SS

Bmore I love that draft especially the Trumaine Johnson pick. I really would like to see us draft him. His physical presence is much needed.

Haloti Ngata makes that hybrid tick. It will be mighty hard to find one like him for a while, IMO, that combo of size and athleticism.

Our 4-3 D-linemen drafted have a greater chance of succeeding in a 1-gap 3-4 with the 1-gap responsibilities, IMO.

Funny I was thinking your boy Aikem Hicks could..

Funny I was thinking your boy Aikem Hicks could..

Cough, cough, Akiem Nicks, it is :). I agree on that front, but I am just too hesitant to hinge my bets on someone I know is a project, though a talented one.

Maybe down the road, we can see if we can add more pieces but I just think it would be too much revamping right now to add all the pieces for a true 3-4, given our cap turmoil. We can start with a few pieces but the flux has to be managed, especially amongst players.

I just feel there is going to be at least a year worth of filling and feeling out the pieces, so we will see how things fall in place under Grigson and Pagano. :)

Some players may surprise us and you and I could be here commenting on how wrong we were about a player's ability to adapt. It sure is a season of uncertainty, on so many fronts.

Jamaal Anderson and Fili Moala are better fits for a 3-4 than a 4-3. Jerry Hughes has potential in a 3-4.

The biggest piece you need is the biggest piece in a 3-4. Get a good nose tackle and you could have a great 3-4.

Anderson is average reguardless. Moala has the size for 3-4, but hasnt made any real impact thus far in his career. I am definitely not going to count on him as a starter, who knows he could prove hes worth it, but as of now. No. Plus Nevis doesnt fit it either and he is our best young linemen. So no, we would need all 3 starters. Phillips 34 is much more appealing to me then the traditional. And hughes always had potential, just never any talent at the nfl level.

I feel like everyone of those players could and would be starters too!

If that Mock was including Thompson in the 2nd. Then I would love that draft. Like i said before my only changes would really be Zeitler and Hayward, but thats really just personal opinion. And that Dline would be fun to watch! Nevis, Thompson and Randal. Thats a whole lot of size and speed up front.

If that Mock was including Thompson in the 2nd. Then I would love that draft. Like i said before my only changes would really be Zeitler and Hayward, but thats really just personal opinion. And that Dline would be fun to watch! Nevis, Thompson and Randal. Thats a whole lot of size and speed up front.

Thompson and Luck I thought were the obvious. I only changed 3 and on! Zeitler will be gone in round 2 otherwise I would have selected him. And I much prefer Leonard or Trumaine Johnson at CB.

Anderson is average reguardless. Moala has the size for 3-4, but hasnt made any real impact thus far in his career. I am definitely not going to count on him as a starter, who knows he could prove hes worth it, but as of now. No. Plus Nevis doesnt fit it either and he is our best young linemen. So no, we would need all 3 starters. Phillips 34 is much more appealing to me then the traditional. And hughes always had potential, just never any talent at the nfl level.

This is exactly what I have been telling everyone!