Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Colts have a top 5 pick but unable to trade down....who do you take?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said this the year we took Ryan Kelly, and although I relent that he was probably the best need on the board at the time, my original thought still holds true for me. Offensive line development/talent (and you can defend either theory) is hard to find and quantify coming from the college ranks, harder than in years past. I would be more in favor of building our O-line with free agency (players that have proved to some degree they can perform at an NFL level) or in later rounds, 3, 4 and beyond. Simply because the risk reward is so much better.

I think there is some precedence for this approach from the Colts recent Manning era past.....we tended to flank a couple high round left and right tackle types, and the middle of the line was more mid round to ufa stock......

Our O-line has been bad for a while and as fans I don't want to go off the deep end with a line of first round picks that if they pan out, means their second contracts will dictate joe no name will be QB'ing and tossing screen passes to WR no name just to make the cap work.

I really thought this year we had a serviceable 5 that was middle of the pack talent and capability wise at the start of the season, until injuries set in, with essentially nothing behind them we are back at square one on Sunday's. Healthy Mewhort and Bond at the guard positions and RT (Haeg or Clark) would have been our weakest spot.....

Now if no injuries had happened I would still have liked to see us improve on the mid pack talent, but I really don't want to use our 1st or 2nd rounder on O-line unless there is NO OTHER options available to us. We need too much at the skill positions on both sides of the ball.......and with coaches that (A) have a good eye for skill sets and (B) can coach up those players we can have a good line without having 5 1st and 2nd rounders in front of luck

On 12/5/2017 at 2:19 PM, unvrsty07 said:

" Fitzpatrick is the intellectual soul of Saban's defense, the closest thing Saban has to a proxy on the field. Fitzpatrick can play every position in Alabama's defensive backfield, and he generally knows the complete mechanics of Saban's defense, whatever the formation."

" Scouts are nearly unanimous that Fitzpatrick—barring any unforeseen issues at the combinewill almost certainly be picked somewhere near the top of the first round of the NFL draft next spring. NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah recently compared him to a bigger iteration of Arizona Cardinals cornerback Tyrann Mathieu"

Worth a read:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741651-alabamas-minkah-fitzpatrick-has-nick-sabans-brain-in-an-nfl-stars-body

I don't think picking Fitzpatrick sounds all that crazy depending on what the plan is with Clayton Geathers.  A lot to like about Fitzpatrick and having him and Hooker back there would be a nasty duo.  Or if you think he's a corner you can do that.  If he's the top of the Colts board when that pick came around we'd definitely get a very solid ball player.   The needs based drafters would be mad but they wouldn't be able to say we didn't get quality.

On 12/5/2017 at 2:43 PM, csmopar said:

Nice read for sure. But if Nelson is there, I think we gotta go OL over DB. 

You go with whomever the highest scored player is on your draft board. That's what keeps you from going against the logic of your scouting. If it's even steven then you go with the Need. If there's a large gap then you go with the Blue Chipper regardles of need. I'm interested to see how we attack Free Agency.  If we can make some solid OL additions then it would make what we do at the top of the 1st round even more interesting.

Get  a QB, Luck may not all be that 100% since he's going oversees to get a second opinion.  Makes no sense when were the greatest country in this world with all the high tech, knowledge in medicines, etc...and he has to go oversees....

Also, draft a blue chipper in running back....this should round out the top 5 for the colts, that is if they trade Luck they'll for sure get two  picks in the top 5...

10 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Get  a QB, Luck may not all be that 100% since he's going oversees to get a second opinion.  Makes no sense when were the greatest country in this world with all the high tech, knowledge in medicines, etc...and he has to go oversees....

Also, draft a blue chipper in running back....this should round out the top 5 for the colts, that is if they trade Luck they'll for sure get two  picks in the top 5...

I wouldn't say it makes no sense. The FDA has their heads up their butts here in the US on many helpful techniques and treatments that have been around in Europe for years. Tons of athletes go over there for treatment. Let's not act like he's going to some third world nation.

13 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

:facepalm: Just when you think you've found the dumbest thing on the internet, this stuff gets posted.

13 hours ago, krunk said:

You go with whomever the highest scored player is on your draft board. That's what keeps you from going against the logic of your scouting. If it's even steven then you go with the Need. If there's a large gap then you go with the Blue Chipper regardles of need. I'm interested to see how we attack Free Agency.  If we can make some solid OL additions then it would make what we do at the top of the 1st round even more interesting.

With the money we have in cap space it would be great to get a couple of linemen and a pass rusher. Then we could do exactly as you suggest. Till we find out who is available at what price the draft is all up in the air. We have only one example of Ballard's draft strategy so we just don't know.

With that said I do agree with drafting the best player available no matter what position. Ballard along with his staff will make their big board and I highly doubt it will look like what most fans think.

15 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

I disagree with the bolded.  The reason is this:  There is one medication that my daughter needs but it's not available in the US because of the FDA has not approved it as of yet (we are one of the only two countries that I'm aware of that hasn't approved of the medication, Japan is the other I believe).  In other countries, it has worked well for most people that have the same condition that my daughter has.

15 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Just maybe we are not the greatest country in the world as far as medical knowledge.

When the pharmaceutical companies have their greedy hands all over this government we are not getting the best treatments in the world. There are procedures available overseas that are not available here because someone here can't hoard the money.

As far as trading Luck it is short sighted of you to even suggest trading him at this point without knowing the results of his treatment he is receiving.

Picking a RB with the pick you suggest would be a big mistake when the trenches are in need the most. Without the trenches being taken care of no RB would make this team win more games.

Protecting the QB and a pass rusher are #1 issues before worrying about a RB.

9 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

With chuck possibly out the door who’s to say that we are still a 3-4 defense next year?

With us in a 4-3 sub package most of the time anyways, moving to a 4-3 wouldn’t be that much of a change. We would need some new lineman at certain positions but a couple of guys would transition fine .

On 12/8/2017 at 3:37 PM, krunk said:

If we just sign one guy I'd sign Norwell We have the money give him the 4yr 45M + he's going to be looking for He's the Panthers best all around blocker and he brings a nastiness that would really help our OL. 

I would love to see Ballard clean up the OL in FA like he did the DL this year The health of Mewhort will be a big factor in what we do. We should be looking for at least one G. 

We have the cap space to address what Ballard deems necessary like adding a proven WR. That looks to be a deep FA pool. If we could snatch Shaquil Barrett from the Broncos that'd be something. I think he is a RFA. 

The draft I'd look for that disruptive edge. If he's not there I'm looking to trade down. I'd like to see another defensive centered draft with a RB added somewhere late day 2 or day 3. Royce Freeman would be a guy I keep an eye on. 

I'm anxious to see how Ballard plays it in FA. As you said that'll impact the draft I don't see us drafting a G or a RB in the top 5 We are set up to have an eventful off-season. Let the man work. 

6 hours ago, akcolt said:

If we just sign one guy I'd sign Norwell We have the money give him the 4yr 45M + he's going to be looking for He's the Panthers best all around blocker and he brings a nastiness that would really help our OL. 

I would love to see Ballard clean up the OL in FA like he did the DL this year The health of Mewhort will be a big factor in what we do. We should be looking for at least one G. 

We have the cap space to address what Ballard deems necessary like adding a proven WR. That looks to be a deep FA pool. If we could snatch Shaquil Barrett from the Broncos that'd be something. I think he is a RFA. 

The draft I'd look for that disruptive edge. If he's not there I'm looking to trade down. I'd like to see another defensive centered draft with a RB added somewhere late day 2 or day 3. Royce Freeman would be a guy I keep an eye on. 

I'm anxious to see how Ballard plays it in FA. As you said that'll impact the draft I don't see us drafting a G or a RB in the top 5 We are set up to have an eventful off-season. Let the man work. 

If we trade down I'm hoping we can do so in a manner that nets us an additional 1st round pick.  I'd like to get two really really solid players out of the first round at impact positions.  Preferrably on defense.

At the moment it would have to be Bradley Chubb. He is surely what this defense has been crying out for since we lost Mathis and Freeney.

It will be interesting to see how he tests at the combine but if he tests particularly well - to a Garrett or Clowney level there might even be a small chance he goes higher than 3.

I understand the desire for Nelson as he's clearly a good player but at 3 you surely need to draft not just an excellent player but an excellent player at a premier, game changing position.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:51 PM, bananabucket said:

1. Saquon Barkley

2. Quenton Nelson

I love Chubb and Fitzpatrick and wouldn't hesitate to take either top 5, but both of them are questionable fits for us unfortunately.  That said, I wouldn't complain with either.

Not sure how Chubb is a questionable fit, a desperately needed pass rusher hum?

12 hours ago, FalseStart said:

If No Trade and Luck's a no go again.  Give Brissett another year evaluation and then draft...

RD1:

1. Chubb DE

2. Fitzpatrick CB

3. McGlinchey OT

4. Darnold QB

RD2

1. Nelson G

2. Jones OT

3. McFadden CB

4. Jefferson ILB

There is NO way Nelson drops to the 2nd round.  He wont make it past number 15.

12 hours ago, FalseStart said:

If No Trade and Luck's a no go again.  Give Brissett another year evaluation and then draft...

RD1:

1. Chubb DE

2. Fitzpatrick CB

3. McGlinchey OT

4. Darnold QB

RD2

1. Nelson G

2. Jones OT

3. McFadden CB

4. Jefferson ILB

There is NO way Nelson drops to the 2nd round.  He wont make it past number 15.

46 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

U pick Chubb no matter what. He’s going to be an elite pass rusher. Elite pass rushers rarely hit the open market. We can fill other positions later in draft and with all that money we have to spend in free agency. 

I was solidly in the draft Nelson at 3 camp, that said, after just watching him get abused by Chubb one on one, I'm voting Chubb. Then spend our 2nd on an OT or OG in the the draft. 

On 12/1/2017 at 2:18 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Who will be top on Ballards board?  And i wouldn't trade down if Fitz is available.

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Bradly Chubb

Good point.  I wouldn't be quick to cross BPA safety off the list just because we drafted one last year.  Three of our's are all backups at best and who knows what Hooker will do with a repaired knee, or if he is fragile by nature.

If Fitzpatrick is really that good, and that good of a fit, he belongs in the conversation.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:57 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

I wouldn't say it makes no sense. The FDA has their heads up their butts here in the US on many helpful techniques and treatments that have been around in Europe for years. Tons of athletes go over there for treatment. Let's not act like he's going to some third world nation.

C'mon.  We know he went over there to get hooked up with some PED's to recover quicker, then stay long enough until they are out of the system.  There's nothing Europe has that we don't, its just a matter of whether its within the rules or not.

If he can't recover on the accelerated "European" method, then he'll have the second surgery.  He has a deadline to know if its a recovery issue or still a lingering structural issue, so he heads to Germany for the PEDs.

Fully prepared to be banned for life after this post but I just saw someone post this on Twitter. 

“Ive NEVER been one that says we should trade luck. BUT what if we could get Browns two 1st rounders this year for luck. 

We draft Chubb, Nelson and McGlincheySign Cousins in free agency along with Bell.”

Im going to hide. 

15 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Fully prepared to be banned for life after this post but I just saw someone post this on Twitter. 

“Ive NEVER been one that says we should trade luck. BUT what if we could get Browns two 1st rounders this year for luck. 

We draft Chubb, Nelson and McGlincheySign Cousins in free agency along with Bell.”

Im going to hide. 

We'd need all of the Brown's picks for the next 10 years before I'd even remotely give that a thought.......

The more I'm thinking about it the more I feel like Chubb is the right pick. I still haven't studied all players so take with a grain of salt but my list right now would be something like:

1. Bradley Chubb

2. Connor Williams

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick

4. Quenton Nelson

5. Christian Wilkins

6. Derwin James

7. Roquan Smith

8. Arden Key

9. Harold Landry

10. Orlando Brown

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

C'mon.  We know he went over there to get hooked up with some PED's to recover quicker, then stay long enough until they are out of the system.  There's nothing Europe has that we don't, its just a matter of whether its within the rules or not.

If he can't recover on the accelerated "European" method, then he'll have the second surgery.  He has a deadline to know if its a recovery issue or still a lingering structural issue, so he heads to Germany for the PEDs.

PED's really? He's not over there taking roids or HGH. He's doing most certainly doing PRP and Regenokine which involves spinning the blood and heating it up to release the anti-inflamatory compounds and injecting into the joint. It was invented and pioneered in Germany and they are the best in world at it. Despite your xenophobic attitude. Not FDA approved in America but not a "PED" by the letter of the NFL either. It has proven helpful in many athletes but you're right, it's a last resort before surgery is necessary.

39 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We'd need all of the Brown's picks for the next 10 years before I'd even remotely give that a thought.......

With his shoulder and not knowing his health. I’m not sure how much we could get. 

The original post had some picks for 2019 too but I was just hitting on his draft. That would def fix our oline and pass rush.