Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most disappointing colts in the last 20 yr?

Trace Pyott

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I might bet abused for this, but to me the most dissapointing Colt in the past 20 years was Bob Sanders.....

I'd still take the games he did play in over the games Richardson played it.  

Who would you rather have on the team?  An often injured Sanders or a healthy Richardson?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I'd still take the games he did play in over the games Richardson played it.  

Who would you rather have on the team?  An often injured Sanders or a healthy Richardson?

I get your point.  But I also understand being disappointed that injuries prevented him from becoming one of the all time greats.

3 hours ago, Roger said:

I get your point.  But I also understand being disappointed that injuries prevented him from becoming one of the all time greats.

It was amazing when he aS on the field.  The Colts went from the worst defence to one of the best.  I've never seen one player change a defense so much.

On 12/2/2017 at 7:52 AM, Lawrence Owen said:

I might bet abused for this, but to me the most dissapointing Colt in the past 20 years was Bob Sanders.....

not even close.  he was just injury prone but provided us some amazing highlights and victories.  his body was not framed or right-sized for the amount of muscle he was trying to develop / put on AND play NFL football at the same time, and might have contributed to some of his muscle related injuries.  From Iowa to Indy, he was a god-like figure around these parts.

22 minutes ago, dudeski said:

corey simon was fantastic in 2005

what were you watching

He was? He had no sacks in 13 games and only 1 forced fumble all season. In the Playoff game vs Pitt he was a non-factor. He was also playing banged up half of the year is why he didn't even play in 2006. Not sure what you were watching?

Art Schlichter

All the tips he's given me sucks (who knew)!!  41% of his tips have come out wrong!  I bet $12K on Bubba - lost.  $5K on Killer - lost.  $2K on Bigster - lost!  The 59% that hit resulted in $1.00.  He truly sucks!!!!

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

First 3 years were actually Very Good, if not Great because we overachieved. So the Luck era hasn't been a total failure. It took Irsay/Polian/Manning 9 seasons before they won a SB. Perspective.

Super Bowl? lets get just back on the winning tract for god's sake . Lucks success in those  years was a result of mannings left behind teams, and even that said. looked what it cost us, Andrew taking  up the slack for an improper re build for him. lets not mince words  

Everyone on this forum should have equal say about there feelings without being chastised according to there status. and the peanut gallery should take a hard look at their self and remember that we are all colts fans some recent and some from as long ago as the 50's  so on my rampage, just remember, Please Be nice to everyone's opinion .

thank you! 

6 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Everyone on this forum should have equal say about there feelings without being chastised according to there status. and the peanut gallery should take a hard look at their self and remember that we are all colts fans some recent and some from as long ago as the 50's  so on my rampage, just remember, Please Be nice to everyone's opinion .

thank you! 

Out of curiosity who chastised you? I haven't seen it. Just asking because you haven't Posted much.

Both Richardson and Johnson were probably the most disappointing. At the time we made those moves I thought they were going to push the team over the edge but in some ways they just held the team back.

On a more general view basically every 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick since 2012 has disappointed to some extent. With the possible exception of Moncrief and Mewhort none of them has made the sort of impact on the team that a player of their status should be expected to make. That probably explains the position we find ourselves in.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Out of curiosity who chastised you? I haven't seen it. Just asking because you haven't Posted much.

He is broad brushing, it seems like. Some people here need to understand that you can agree to disagree. If the other person addresses your content and disagrees, strongly or subtly, it does not mean they are standing on a pulpit with their reputation and number of posts. It is all in the eyes of the beholder and the mind of the receiver. :) 

It would be different if they called you names, that is a reportable offense. However, a strong disagreement does not mean condemnation or high-handedness.

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Super Bowl? lets get just back on the winning tract for god's sake . Lucks success in those  years was a result of mannings left behind teams, and even that said. looked what it cost us, Andrew taking  up the slack for an improper re build for him. lets not mince words  

Other than Wayne Luck did not have any offense left over from the Manning years.

1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

the defense?

The defense don't score points like the offense. There were also players on the defense that were let go when Polian was fired.

All water under the bridge but here was a reason Grigson won GM of the year his first year. He put a winning team on the field regardless of having 39 million in dead cap space. Yes, things soured but not in the first year of Luck.

Luck had to compensate for the lack of rebuild anyway you slice it that's why he's in the situation he's in now

we can nit pic semantics all you want, but we should have been rebuilding but we were plugging personnel with players at the time to tread water to keep us competitive, It was not a long term solution that came back to bite us.

4 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Luck had to compensate for the lack of rebuild anyway you slice it that's why he's in the situation he's in now

we can nit pic semantics all you want, but we should have been rebuilding but we were plugging personnel with players at the time to tread water to keep us competitive, It was not a long term solution that came back to bite us.

Had the draft picks and free agent signings over the last 3 or 4 seasons of Grigson had not been bust,  the rebuild would have worked. Thus is why he was fired.

26 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

The defense?  That's why luck had to excel on offense to compensate.  We were not doing a proper rebuild from the get go for luck. My point exactly. 

Yes we did in Grigsons first year. After cutting Manning, Addai, Clark, Painter (yes I know), Brackett, Bullitt, Garcon, Anderson, Diem, Gonzalez, Saturday and Wayne (resigned)

Grigson's first year is exactly why he won GM of the year. He put together a team that went 2-14 to a wild card spot so he was doing something right at the time. It's easy to use hind sight to judge but at the time what Grigson did at the time was the right thing to do and started off on the right foot.

6 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Had polian stayed it might have worked too

Polian's stint here went south. He had been making bad drafts, The cap room was in sheds and he tried to incorporate is son into the mix when he wasn't qualified. (Does he even work in the NFL today?) Polian's old school ways was not conducive with today's players either.

On 12/3/2017 at 11:42 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was? He had no sacks in 13 games and only 1 forced fumble all season. In the Playoff game vs Pitt he was a non-factor. He was also playing banged up half of the year is why he didn't even play in 2006. Not sure what you were watching?

football

i was watching football.  look what larry tripplett did that year.  there is more to football than what you see on the stat sheet.  i highly doubt you will understand that though

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes we did in Grigsons first year. After cutting Manning, Addai, Clark, Painter (yes I know), Brackett, Bullitt, Garcon, Anderson, Diem, Gonzalez, Saturday and Wayne (resigned)

Grigson's first year is exactly why he won GM of the year. He put together a team that went 2-14 to a wild card spot so he was doing something right at the time. It's easy to use hind sight to judge but at the time what Grigson did at the time was the right thing to do and started off on the right foot.

Luck was the only reason grigson was relevant and the only reason pagono is still here

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe us colts fans since John Unitas ,would post more as newbies if other newbies as well as my self were gave the same opportunity. It's a bias that is obvious .Someone of your perspicacity would know that 

On 12/1/2017 at 4:51 AM, Trace Pyott said:

Someone started a discussion on greatest colts of the last 20 years and it was fun so I wanted to do a top 5 of the most disappointing colts players based strictly on how they were projected to play after being drafted and how well they played their rookie year.  I would dang near bet at least 50% will be grigson players even though he only was here what around 1/4 of the last 20 years?  Oh and also we can add free agent signings as well based on how they performed on their previous teams and expectations.  Here is my list. 

1. Trent Richardson I was against it from the go. Not because I thought he was going to be as bad as he ended up being, I'm just not in love with giving a 1rd pick for a RB. 

2. Andre Johnson only because I had such high hopes for him. I figured him and luck would be so good together that luck and him would set the world on fire. 

3. Dorsett- he was supposedly so fast and a better version of Hilton, pretty much a complete bust while here even though he was probably grossly misused. 

4. Jerry Hughes 

5. Bjorn - what was grigson even thinking with this pick?  

HonorAble mention-

1. Tj green. He was supposedly a super athlete and now he's just a super liability. 

2.  Gore. ...this might ruffle some feathers (it even ruffles mine lol)  I hate to do it , I really do but I really thought gore would do better with luck than he has even though luck hasn't been all that healthy and consistent, and our oline has been in shambles. With him consistently facing  8 in the box in SF I figured he would do much better. This isnt all his fault, its more his situation and the hype that I personally had for him and our offense when he joined. I would even bet that he would say he is disappointed on how things have turned out. 

Afte making my list that my prediction about grigson was even worse than I thought, 80% of my picks were grigson's fault and like I said he had only been here 25% or so of the last 20 years. That is absolutely atrocious. 

No way can  you put Gore on this list -- dude has been one of the few solid and consistent players for us since he's been here.

On 12/1/2017 at 6:10 AM, WERC82 said:

T Rich, Castonzo, A. Johnson, TJ, Chopping Wood Chuck, VD, and every Olineman not named Saturday, Lilja, Scott, Diem or Glenn.

I would take Vontae Davis off there, he was a stud for us except this year.  Had 2-3 years there where he was top 5 in league.

I'd add the following names of players we drafted: Josh Chapman, Montori Hughes (thought 1 of these 2 would be our big man in the middle), D'Juon Smith, Jonathan Newsome (could have been good if not for legal issues), Hugh Thornton and Khaled Holmes (thought they were going to solve our OL problems to some extent), Ben Ijalana (he's doing OK now, I think with Jets but he certainly didn't pan out as a solid 2nd rounder for us), Jerry Hughes and Pat Angerer (1st and 2nd round LBers that never panned out), Mike Pollak (2nd round C that busted), Anthony Gonzalez (1st round RB that busted), Tony Ugoh (in hindsight that 2007 draft was one of the worst ever for us).

Some players we signed: Ricky Jean-Francois, Laron Landry, Tom Zbikowski, Samson Satele, Donald Thomas, Greg Toler, Arthur Jones, Trent Cole.

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

Pagano is the worst Colt in the last 20 years. Easily 

Grigson is worse.  During his tenure our first round draft picks were Luck (a hit, who should have been surrounded with a solid OL),  Bjoern Werner (a bust), Trent Richardson (a bust), Phillip Dorsett (a bust), and Ryan Kelly (if he can't stay healthy, he's on pace to be a bust, too).

Going through our first and 2nd round picks from 1997-2017 we have had the following be better than average (some were great):

1997 - Tarik Glenn (R1), Adam Meadows (R2)

1998 - Peyton Manning (R1)

1999 - Edge (R1), Mike Peterson (R2)

2000 - 

2001 - Reggie Wayne (R1)

2002 - Dwight Freeney (R1)

2003 - Dallas Clark (R1)

2004 - Bob Sanders (R1)

2005 - 

2006- Joseph Addai (R1)

2007 -

2008 - 

2009 - 

2010 - 

2011 -Castonzo (R1)

2012 - Luck (R1)

2013-

2014 - Mewhord (R2)

2015 - 

2016 - Kelly (R1 - if healthy)

2017 - Hooker (R1 - if healthy)

The following were worse than what you'd want from a 1st or 2nd rounder:

1997 - 

1998 - Jerome Pathon (R2)

1999 - 

2000 - Rob Morris (R1), Marcus Washington (R2 - arguable here he may have had a good year or 2)

2001 - Idrees Bashir (R2)

2002 - Larry Triplett (R2)

2003 - Mike Doss (R2)

2004 - No first rounder

2005 - Marlin Jackson (R1), Kelvin Hayden (R2) -- both are arguable, but they didn't come near turning into a consistently dominant CB duo for us

2006 - Tim Jennings (R2)

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez (R1), Tony Ugoh (R2)

2008 - No first round, Mike Pollak (r2)

2009 - Donald Brown (R1), Fili Moala (R2)

2010 - Jerry Hughes (R1), Pat Angerer (R2)

2011 - Ben Ijalana (R2)

2012 - Coby Fleener (R2) - arguable, but he was soft

2013 - Bjoern Werner (R1), No R2

2014 - No R1 (T. Rich)

2015 - Phillip Dorsett (R1), No R2

2016 - TJ Green (R2)

2017 - Quincy Wilson (R2)

So we have had 14 good (or what you want from a 1st or 2nd rounder) and 27 not so good (or less than what you want from a first or 2nd rounder), over the past 2 decades.

19 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

No way can  you put Gore on this list -- dude has been one of the few solid and consistent players for us since he's been here.

I would take Vontae Davis off there, he was a stud for us except this year.  Had 2-3 years there where he was top 5 in league.

I'd add the following names of players we drafted: Josh Chapman, Montori Hughes (thought 1 of these 2 would be our big man in the middle), D'Juon Smith, Jonathan Newsome (could have been good if not for legal issues), Hugh Thornton and Khaled Holmes (thought they were going to solve our OL problems to some extent), Ben Ijalana (he's doing OK now, I think with Jets but he certainly didn't pan out as a solid 2nd rounder for us), Jerry Hughes and Pat Angerer (1st and 2nd round LBers that never panned out), Mike Pollak (2nd round C that busted), Anthony Gonzalez (1st round RB that busted), Tony Ugoh (in hindsight that 2007 draft was one of the worst ever for us).

Some players we signed: Ricky Jean-Francois, Laron Landry, Tom Zbikowski, Samson Satele, Donald Thomas, Greg Toler, Arthur Jones, Trent Cole.

Grigson is worse.  During his tenure our first round draft picks were Luck (a hit, who should have been surrounded with a solid OL),  Bjoern Werner (a bust), Trent Richardson (a bust), Phillip Dorsett (a bust), and Ryan Kelly (if he can't stay healthy, he's on pace to be a bust, too).

Going through our first and 2nd round picks from 1997-2017 we have had the following be better than average (some were great):

1997 - Tarik Glenn (R1), Adam Meadows (R2)

1998 - Peyton Manning (R1)

1999 - Edge (R1), Mike Peterson (R2)

2000 - 

2001 - Reggie Wayne (R1)

2002 - Dwight Freeney (R1)

2003 - Dallas Clark (R1)

2004 - Bob Sanders (R1)

2005 - 

2006- Joseph Addai (R1)

2007 -

2008 - 

2009 - 

2010 - 

2011 -Castonzo (R1)

2012 - Luck (R1)

2013-

2014 - Mewhord (R2)

2015 - 

2016 - Kelly (R1 - if healthy)

2017 - Hooker (R1 - if healthy)

The following were worse than what you'd want from a 1st or 2nd rounder:

1997 - 

1998 - Jerome Pathon (R2)

1999 - 

2000 - Rob Morris (R1), Marcus Washington (R2 - arguable here he may have had a good year or 2)

2001 - Idrees Bashir (R2)

2002 - Larry Triplett (R2)

2003 - Mike Doss (R2)

2004 - No first rounder

2005 - Marlin Jackson (R1), Kelvin Hayden (R2) -- both are arguable, but they didn't come near turning into a consistently dominant CB duo for us

2006 - Tim Jennings (R2)

2007 - Anthony Gonzalez (R1), Tony Ugoh (R2)

2008 - No first round, Mike Pollak (r2)

2009 - Donald Brown (R1), Fili Moala (R2)

2010 - Jerry Hughes (R1), Pat Angerer (R2)

2011 - Ben Ijalana (R2)

2012 - Coby Fleener (R2) - arguable, but he was soft

2013 - Bjoern Werner (R1), No R2

2014 - No R1 (T. Rich)

2015 - Phillip Dorsett (R1), No R2

2016 - TJ Green (R2)

2017 - Quincy Wilson (R2)

So we have had 14 good (or what you want from a 1st or 2nd rounder) and 27 not so good (or less than what you want from a first or 2nd rounder), over the past 2 decades.

If Grigson hired Pagano then yes he is worse