Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most disappointing colts in the last 20 yr?

Trace Pyott

46 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

This makes me sad.. :( ..  Emmanuel Sanders is very good and plays so much bigger than his size. I knew the Patriots wanted to steel him from the Steelers...

At one point the the steelers has Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown. Goodness..

Speed kills and that is what they went for. Small shiftier wide outs. However, it required a QB like Big Ben who could keep the play alive for such wide outs to thrive because there is a good chance they can be jammed initially with their smaller size. That is why TY thrives with Andrew Luck. Arians was their OC then, and Todd Haley took over thus involving RBs more albeit not the TEs as well (hangover from Arians era). Arians was the one that clamored for TY and got him. 

However, they also started investing in WRs with a bit of size in them. JuJu is built like Hines Ward, so when you need WR blocking, you are likely to get it. Martavis Bryant is size with speed but has to improve on the route running just like JuJu. Once they do that, AND can stay on the field :), then they will become deadly. However, their lack of usage of TEs catches up when they play good teams that don't defend the middle of the field as much or choose not to defend the middle as much. That is why our team, with improved CBs on the outside, matched up well with the current Steelers recently. Vontae was the weak link all along, it seems like and Pagano mistakenly continued to trust him vs Antonio Brown and we got roasted constantly. Once the burden of VD was let go, we played the Steelers the best we have done in the Pagano era.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Someone started a discussion on greatest colts of the last 20 years and it was fun so I wanted to do a top 5 of the most disappointing colts players based strictly on how they were projected to play after being drafted and how well they played their rookie year.  I would dang near bet at least 50% will be grigson players even though he only was here what around 1/4 of the last 20 years?  Oh and also we can add free agent signings as well based on how they performed on their previous teams and expectations.  Here is my list. 

1. Trent Richardson I was against it from the go. Not because I thought he was going to be as bad as he ended up being, I'm just not in love with giving a 1rd pick for a RB. 

2. Andre Johnson only because I had such high hopes for him. I figured him and luck would be so good together that luck and him would set the world on fire. 

3. Dorsett- he was supposedly so fast and a better version of Hilton, pretty much a complete bust while here even though he was probably grossly misused. 

4. Jerry Hughes 

5. Bjorn - what was grigson even thinking with this pick?  

HonorAble mention-

1. Tj green. He was supposedly a super athlete and now he's just a super liability. 

2.  Gore. ...this might ruffle some feathers (it even ruffles mine lol)  I hate to do it , I really do but I really thought gore would do better with luck than he has even though luck hasn't been all that healthy and consistent, and our oline has been in shambles. With him consistently facing  8 in the box in SF I figured he would do much better. This isnt all his fault, its more his situation and the hype that I personally had for him and our offense when he joined. I would even bet that he would say he is disappointed on how things have turned out. 

Afte making my list that my prediction about grigson was even worse than I thought, 80% of my picks were grigson's fault and like I said he had only been here 25% or so of the last 20 years. That is absolutely atrocious. 

Agreed on everything but Frank Gore.  I'd also put Dewayne Allen, Moncrief and especially Dorsett on that list

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When the trade happened I loved it but not afraid to admit that because many in here did. We just got a RB that was picked 3rd overall and playing with Luck one would think he would've been really good. He sucked bigtime so he is my #1. Johnson made my list at 3rd because he is arguably a HOFame WR and was 3 years younger than Reggie so I expected big things of him coming in. What we got was a washed up WR.

The media has seemed to universally hate the Trent Richardson trade since it happened. Has anyone ever heard any NFL analysts say the Colts made a good deicsion by trading a first round pick for a huge draft bust?

Andre Johnson may not have been "old," but he was on the decline. I expected him to be better with the Colts than he was, but not the same high-level player we saw in Houston for too long.

21 minutes ago, JaguarsWoman said:

The media has seemed to universally hate the Trent Richardson trade since it happened. Has anyone ever heard any NFL analysts say the Colts made a good deicsion by trading a first round pick for a huge draft bust?

Andre Johnson may not have been "old," but he was on the decline. I expected him to be better with the Colts than he was, but not the same high-level player we saw in Houston for too long.

They did at first.  Grigson was called a genius for weeks afterwards.  It wasn't until the 2014 season that they suddenly realized that TRich was a big bust.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

It was considered a win for the Colts at the time. 

Most of my disappointments are because of injury.

EG Green:  He would have been a great compliment to Harrison but he just could not stay healthy.

Same thing with Austin Collie, he was leading the league in receptions when he got a concussion and he just could never recover from it.

Bob Sanders - A true difference maker on defense  His impact was felt every time he was on the field, unfortunately for the Colts and Colts' fans he was not on the field often enough.

Quinn Pitcock:  He was starting to show some real promise but got addicted to video games.

Shaun King - He was a beast at DE.  Polian gave him a 2nd chance and then a 3rd chance but just couldn't give up drugs.

2 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I am guessing I am not alone here and have to admit....  When I saw we traded for TRich I was beyond excited.  I called or texted ever Colts fan I knew.  I do not remember 1 single person on those calls, in the media. or on this message board thinking we had made a mistake....  

27 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

EG Green:  He would have been a great compliment to Harrison but he just could not stay healthy.

Same thing with Austin Collie, he was leading the league in receptions when he got a concussion and he just could never recover from it.

Bob Sanders - A true difference maker on defense  His impact was felt every time he was on the field, unfortunately for the Colts and Colts' fans he was not on the field often enough.

Quinn Pitcock:  He was starting to show some real promise but got addicted to video games.

Shaun King - He was a beast at DE.  Polian gave him a 2nd chance and then a 3rd chance but just couldn't give up drugs.

Quin pitcock really quit the league because of video games? Is there a back story behind this?  I have never heard about this before, wow. 

Rob Morris, he was okay, but not first round results

Agree on Tony Ugoh

Donald Brown and Fili Moala from 2009 draft

Jerry Hughes 2010

Josh Chapman got a lot of hype, but was a 5th rounder

Werner

Dorsett

The Trent Richardson deal was the worst, but as someone mentioned, the Browns got squat from it, too.

9 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

I was infinitely disappointed that they signed Andre Johnson instead of simply re-signing Reggie Wayne for the final year that Wayne wanted.  Assuming Wayne was able to come back reasonably healthy, he would have brought so much more than Johnson and it would have been a wonderful sendoff for one of the all time great Colts.

Peyton Manning if we’re bring stats and all into consideration. Manning had only one SB victory in his 14 seasons with the Colts. Several number one seeds that were never capitalized on. That’s where my disappointment comes in. 

32 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Peyton Manning if we’re bring stats and all into consideration. Manning had only one SB victory in his 14 seasons with the Colts. Several number one seeds that were never capitalized on. That’s where my disappointment comes in. 

This is officially the worst Post in the history of this Site. :wall: :groan: :tvsmash: This crap is too much. We wouldn't be in Indy if it weren't for Peyton and he won a SB and we were Very Good if not Great almost every season he was here = a SB threat! Man I hope you are freakin joking with that Post because that is down right dumb what you Posted! :hairout:

44 minutes ago, a06cc said:

How dare you. :eek:

:Cry:

My choices are based on disappointment relative to expectations and need:

1. Jeff George - Traded up to get the franchise QB that flamed out real quick. (Okay, maybe past 25 years?)

2. Tony Ugoh- Glenn retired and we needed an LT badly to keep Manning's 2nd SB in reach.  Traded up to get him too.

3. Bjoern Werner - Needed someone to take over for Freeney or Mathis.  Still looking.

4.  Cory Simon - Big FA signing by Polian that was supposed to play the Warren Sapp role.  Manning probably would have had a SB before 2006 if the D had at least one decent defensive tackle in those pre-Booger years.

2 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

Quin pitcock really quit the league because of video games? Is there a back story behind this?  I have never heard about this before, wow. 

Story

I thought this one was interesting because he actually tried to make a comeback in the NFL in 2012.  The article also makes a good point... a player is addicted to drugs and he gets a second chance if he says he's clean.  Not so, if you're addicted to video games.

1 hour ago, pgt_rob said:

How dare you. :eek:

:Cry:

Yeah well, too bad we didn't Draft Ryan Leaf so anyone that complains about Peyton can just go away. I mean Jesus! Anyone that complains about Peyton has to either be a Troll or not a Colts fan. That dude carried us for 13 years and won a SB, maybe if Polian got us better Defenses we would have 3 or 4 Championships. Peyton Manning was our Michael Jordan. - With a better Defense and better Coaches we win it every season. He did all he could do every season and kept us relevant for a long time. He is the only QB Bill Belichick respected/feared too. Unfortunately we have some fans that just don't appreciate our accomplishments and are spoiled, damn shame really. Had we not won a SB than I would be critical but we did, unlike the Bills from 1990-1993 and Marino in his career. That is how tough it is to win one, neither of those mentioned won one! People think it's easy because the Pats win every season, well maybe they win every season because they have a QB like Peyton but have the best Coach ever and a Great Defense as well.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

In case you didn't know it Super bowls are won by teams. For you to point a finger at Manning and singling him out as a disappointment just shows your lack of NFL knowledge.

The worst...  Geathers, Hairston, Simon, Hankins and Melvin. Wait a minute these are the good ones, its easy to focus on negative stuff in a year like this and believe me I have done it but I did not leave the Jacksonville game early and I will never give up on this team, I know we need to vent and that is good, however I am trying to stay positive with a new coach next year and a much better staff, picking in the top 8 in the draft in each round to pick up solid starters and we have a good amount in free agency. We found a gem with Melvin, Hankins and Simon. Hairston is moving to be the number 2 corner or at the least a very solid nickel. We have Hooker and Geathers at starting safety but farley as well. We need a rush LB and a very secure and solid MLB. We need at least 3 new starters on the O line and another TE and WR. Its a lot to ask but I see all of this addressed in free agency and the draft.  

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah well, too bad we didn't Draft Ryan Leaf so anyone that complains about Peyton can just go away. I mean Jesus! Anyone that complains about Peyton has to either be a Troll or not a Colts fan. That dude carried us for 13 years and won a SB, maybe if Polian got us better Defenses we would have 3 or 4 Championships. Peyton Manning was our Michael Jordan. - With a better Defense and better Coaches we win it every season. He did all he could do every season and kept us relevant for a long time. He is the only QB Bill Belichick respected/feared too. Unfortunately we have some fans that just don't appreciate our accomplishments and are spoiled, damn shame really. Had we not won a SB than I would be critical but we did, unlike the Bills from 1990-1993 and Marino in his career. That is how tough it is to win one, neither of those mentioned won one! People think it's easy because the Pats win every season, well maybe they win every season because they have a QB like Peyton but have the best Coach ever and a Great Defense as well.

Ryan Leaf AND Ricky Williams could have been Colts.....

If Hank Baskett's dumb Butt just recovers an Onside Kick we run away with the SB in 2009 and it would've never came down to Manning's pass. We have 2 Rings at worse! Peyton cant always pull it out. Our team didn't do Peyton any favors in a lot of big games because he always had to bail us out of nonsense. Against the Saints we just made too many mistakes, like the drop pass by Garcon, missed FG that gave the Saints great field Position. Neither Peyton's fault, Freeney's injury was a killer too.

4 minutes ago, Roger said:

I'm disappointed that Luck has been unable to lead the Colts to a championship.  That doesn't mean he hasn't been good. It just indicates the expectations he came into the league with.  The hype.

That is different though because Luck has only been healthy for 3 years. Peyton won a SB and is one of the greatest ever.

If someone would create a Thread = who would you take if you had the #1 pick in an all-time Draft? I would be curious to everyone's answer and appreciate it. Make a Poll:

Peyton Manning QB

Tom Brady QB

Joe Montana QB

Johnny Unitas QB

Jim Brown RB

Jerry Rice WR

Lawrence Taylor OLB

Ray Lewis MLB

Reggie White DE

Anthony Munoz OT

-that is 10 players.

Hell I tried to make a Thread once and it got moved to NFL General and it was about the Colts so I have no idea what any of that means haha. So I don't create Threads. I think that would be a fun Thread though just to see who people would take #1 when push comes to shove. I am taking Peyton.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If someone would create a Thread = who would you take if you had the #1 pick in an all-time Draft? I would be curious to everyone's answer and appreciate it. Make a Poll:

Peyton Manning QB

Tom Brady QB

Joe Montana QB

Johnny Unitas QB

Jim Brown RB

Jerry Rice WR

Lawrence Taylor OLB

Ray Lewis MLB

Reggie White DE

Anthony Munoz OT

-that is 10 players.

Hell I tried to make a Thread once and it got moved to NFL General and it was about the Colts so I have no idea what any of that means haha. So I don't create Threads. I think that would be a fun Thread though just to see who people would take #1 when push comes to shove. I am taking Peyton.

Waaay too few players on that pole.

5 hours ago, Roger said:

I'm disappointed that Luck has been unable to lead the Colts to a championship.  That doesn't mean he hasn't been good. It just indicates the expectations he came into the league with.  The hype.

I guess with all the records he broke in his first three years the hype was correct.

11 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Bob Sanders was the best safety I have ever seen. The dude had everything but health. I agree with your choice though.