Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most disappointing colts in the last 20 yr?

Trace Pyott

Someone started a discussion on greatest colts of the last 20 years and it was fun so I wanted to do a top 5 of the most disappointing colts players based strictly on how they were projected to play after being drafted and how well they played their rookie year.  I would dang near bet at least 50% will be grigson players even though he only was here what around 1/4 of the last 20 years?  Oh and also we can add free agent signings as well based on how they performed on their previous teams and expectations.  Here is my list. 

1. Trent Richardson I was against it from the go. Not because I thought he was going to be as bad as he ended up being, I'm just not in love with giving a 1rd pick for a RB. 

2. Andre Johnson only because I had such high hopes for him. I figured him and luck would be so good together that luck and him would set the world on fire. 

3. Dorsett- he was supposedly so fast and a better version of Hilton, pretty much a complete bust while here even though he was probably grossly misused. 

4. Jerry Hughes 

5. Bjorn - what was grigson even thinking with this pick?  

HonorAble mention-

1. Tj green. He was supposedly a super athlete and now he's just a super liability. 

2.  Gore. ...this might ruffle some feathers (it even ruffles mine lol)  I hate to do it , I really do but I really thought gore would do better with luck than he has even though luck hasn't been all that healthy and consistent, and our oline has been in shambles. With him consistently facing  8 in the box in SF I figured he would do much better. This isnt all his fault, its more his situation and the hype that I personally had for him and our offense when he joined. I would even bet that he would say he is disappointed on how things have turned out. 

Afte making my list that my prediction about grigson was even worse than I thought, 80% of my picks were grigson's fault and like I said he had only been here 25% or so of the last 20 years. That is absolutely atrocious. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have Gore on that list.   He has been pretty solid for a bad team.  

Trent Richardson should definitely be on this list.  I liked the trade when it happened.   Getting a running back that was taken 3rd in the draft just a year ago seemed great.   Most insiders thought he was taken where he should have been taken.  He ran for almost 1000 yards as a rookie on a bad Browns team.  Bummer the Browns snookered us.  But at least they wasted the pick they got from us on Manziel. 

Anthony Gonzalez should be on the list.  

Since the 2015 season it’s been a rough ride. 2016 wasn’t too bad because we saw some good play in games we should’ve lost, but also lost games we should’ve won. I think we are on a reconstructive path starting with hiring Ballard. Now it’s a matter of finding a new, effective head coach, keeping Luck healthy with a better offensive line, and getting at least 1 athletic linebacker to replace Morrison. Baby steps. 

18 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

Vandershank

I would disagree with you on this one.   The Pittsburg miss was disappointing, but he was a very good kicker for the Colts.  

It was pretty cool the year he went the whole season without a miss.   37/37 FG and 46/46 extra points.  Then 3/3 and 12/12 in the playoffs. 

Since I haven't seen anyone mention them yet...

Aaron Moorehead

Roy Hall

Mike Hart

Tim Fugger 

Soooooooo many posts were dedicated to the talent and potential of these guys through the years. 

It just never materialized. 

And yes, for those who would otherwise miss it:

This post is dripping with sarcasm. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Trent Richardson - Don't even get me started here. He is clearly #1!

2. Hank Baskett - ok he didn't have much expectation but he just sucked while here and the Onside Kick goof in the SB is just unforgivable.

3. Andre Johnson

4. Bjoern Werner

5. Corey Simon

Had Corey Simon panned out we would've won in 2005 IMO, we got Booger in 2006 and he plugged the middle.

22 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Since I haven't seen anyone mention them yet...

Aaron Moorehead

Roy Hall

Mike Hart

Tim Fugger 

Soooooooo many posts were dedicated to the talent and potential of these guys through the years. 

It just never materialized. 

And yes, for those who would otherwise miss it:

This post is dripping with sarcasm. 

Lol so many topics on Mike Hart and Roy Hall the next Megatron. Jeez that brings back good memories. 

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

in the last 20 years its andre Johnson for me

we have had some draft busts, but i wasnt really expecting as much from them.  i didnt know what to think of trent richardson, never had huge expectations for him 

When the trade happened I loved it but not afraid to admit that because many in here did. We just got a RB that was picked 3rd overall and playing with Luck one would think he would've been really Good. He sucked bigtime so he is my #1. Johnson made my list at 3rd because he is arguably a HOFame WR and was 3 years younger than Reggie so I expected big things of him coming in. What we got was a washed up WR.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that summed up our fantastic 2005 Season, it ends with Corey Simon being a big fat bust and with Shank missing a FG vs Pitt! What a way to end a dominant season!

Yeah, that season was one of the most disappointing.  I really thought they were going to go undefeated and win the SuperBowl.  The Colts were dominant that season, until thing fell apart in December just after the suicide of Dungy’s child and then the heartbreaking loss to the Steelers.

The Colts made amends the following season, though ... winning ugly and then going on that amazing playoff run.  Still sad, though.  That SuperBowl was meant to have been second in a row.

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

Yeah, that season was one of the most disappointing.  I really thought they were going to go undefeated and win the SuperBowl.  The Colts were dominant that season, until thing fell apart in December just after the suicide of Dungy’s child and then the heartbreaking loss to the Steelers.

The Colts made amends the following season, though ... winning ugly and then going on that amazing playoff run.  Still sad, though.  That SuperBowl was meant to have been second in a row.

In 2006 we picked up Adam Vinatieri and Booger McFarland which were 2 gigantic pickups. Adam was so clutch in the Playoffs and Booger was awesome in the Playoffs against the run. Out was Shank and Corey, in was Adam and Booger.

50 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

in the last 20 years its andre Johnson for me

we have had some draft busts, but i wasnt really expecting as much from them.  i didnt know what to think of trent richardson, never had huge expectations for him 

I kinda of agree with this. Like 4 years in a row we were "trying" out number 2 WR's. With Donnie Avery, DHB, Nicks, then Johnson. I didn't think Nicks was terrible (kinda sad when they let him go) but I thought Andre was going to be the homerun so i was like "okay okay, I can get with this." But he just forgot how to play football. :(

Omg I forgot ugoh and Hakeem nicks lol. As for me mentioning gore I must have not explained myself correctly. I am not saying he is a disappointment, he is amazing. What he's doing at his age is freaking unheard of. What I'm saying is I'm disappointed that we haven't became the offense he and most colts fans thought we would be when he joined. We all thought with luck no one would put 8 in the box against him and that we would finally stop being a one dimensional team. I don't think it's his fault st all, it's the fact luck hasn't played but prob 30% of the games since gore joined the colts and our offensive line has been super bad. Basically, I'm saying from the expectations we all had once we got gore , the whole situation not frank the man or player has been a huge disappointment.  I mean at his age I never would of dreamed he could do what he still does.  Imagine if he had a good line, i think he could still be a quality rb. I don't see how anyone can deny that honestly. 

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When the trade happened I loved it but not afraid to admit that because many in here did. We just got a RB that was picked 3rd overall and playing with Luck one would think he would've been really Good. He sucked bigtime so he is my #1. Johnson made my list at 3rd because he is arguably a HOFame WR and was 3 years younger than Reggie so I expected big things of him coming in. What we got was a washed up WR.

i can see why you would put TR there.  i was just shocked that trade happened so fast, plus i thought luck and Aj were going to do some real damage 

i thought about it more, and jeff george is my most disappointing colt ever.  might have been the most physically gifted QB we've had but he kept throwing it to the other team.  it think its weird he had such a long career as a journeyman too

15 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I kinda of agree with this. Like 4 years in a row we were "trying" out number 2 WR's. With Donnie Avery, DHB, Nicks, then Johnson. I didn't think Nicks was terrible (kinda sad when they let him go) but I thought Andre was going to be the homerun so i was like "okay okay, I can get with this." But he just forgot how to play football. :(

I wanted them to go after Edelman or Emmanuel Sanders at that point after the Avery and DHB experiments. Edelman wasn't probably leaving NE, but Sanders would have been a GREAT pick up, Elway signed him in 2014 for 3 yrs. $15 mil., for crying out loud, we could have had him!!! However, they continued to go after reclamation projects. We still ended up beating them, could have used him in 2014 easily. Both the Steelers and Patriots wanted to have him, that should have told us something.

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i can see why you would put TR there.  i was just shocked that trade happened so fast, plus i thought luck and Aj were going to do some real damage 

i thought about it more, and jeff george is my most disappointing colt ever.  might have been the most physically gifted QB we've had but he kept throwing it to the other team.  it think its weird he had such a long career as a journeyman too

All-Time Indy Colts history, George is Top 5. It is last 20 years was the Title to the topic. George was a huge flop! I agree.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wanted them to go after Edelman or Emmanuel Sanders at that point after the Avery and DHB experiments. Edelman wasn't probably leaving NE, but Sanders would have been a GREAT pick up, Elway signed him in 2014 for 3 yrs. $15 mil., for crying out loud, we could have had him!!! However, they continued to go after reclamation projects. We still ended up beating them, could have used him in 2014 easily. Both the Steelers and Patriots wanted to have him, that should have told us something.

This makes me sad.. :( ..  Emmanuel Sanders is very good and plays so much bigger than his size. I knew the Patriots wanted to steel him from the Steelers...

At one point the the steelers has Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown. Goodness..

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I would disagree with you on this one.   The Pittsburg miss was disappointing, but he was a very good kicker for the Colts.  

It was pretty cool the year he went the whole season without a miss.   37/37 FG and 46/46 extra points.  Then 3/3 and 12/12 in the playoffs. 

Ultimately he became a disappointment to the team on many levels