Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Martinez, Brady's Qb Mentor, Dead At 66

PatMcAfeeFan

Tom Martinez, a celebrated quarterbacks coach who gained fame for his work with Patriots star

Tom Brady, died Tuesday, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

Martinez reportedly suffered a heart attack during a dialysis session. Tuesday also marked his 66th birthday.

"This is just oh, so terribly sad," Martinez's wife, Olivia,

told the New York Daily News. "He had so much to offer so many people."

Martinez was known as one of the most successful coaches in California community college history at College of San Mateo. Complications from diabetes led to serious health issues late in Martinez's life and he had been in need of a kidney transplant.

Last June, Brady

told SI.com's Peter King that Martinez's influence over his career was "at the top of the list. Second to none."

Said Brady: "There is no one who knows more about throwing the football than (Martinez). And no one has meant more to me when it comes to throwing the football than Tom."

Brady's teammate,

Julian Edelman, a native of Redwood City, Calif., offered his condolences over Twitter.

"RIP coach Tom Martinez. He was such a great mentor to many in the bay area. His legacy will always live on."

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 22, 2012 - insensitive
Hidden by Nadine, February 22, 2012 - insensitive

I'm sure he was watching the Superbowl too. I wonder if he had some kind of trauma from the loss. It's always tough to see a student achieve great things, yet fall short not once, but twice to the same team.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, February 22, 2012 - response to a deleted post
Hidden by Nadine, February 22, 2012 - response to a deleted post

Sorry, Pat, I was responding to the *ic post of Remedy, not yours.

(null)

How was what I said *ic? You're telling me he wasn't sad the Pats lost? Of course the Pats and Martinez are disheartened at the loss. Tom Brady was his star pupil - he no doubt enjoys seeing the success Brady has achieved. To see Brady lose twice to the Giants is no doubt devastating, considering Brady went on record stating the first Giants loss upset him greatly.

I'd imagine this loss weighed heavily on Martinez, just as much as it did for the Pats organization. I'm certain Martinez would have found comfort seeing Tom hoist that Lombardi Trophy one more time. Brady's victory would have been a great final moment for Martinez' already grand legacy.