Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bradley Chubb

The more I'm reading up on him, the more I'd have no problem taking him in the first either. Whenever you break Mario Williams' record for career sacks and tackles for loss,  you're doing something right.

He seems to be an all around player too.

Maybe get him in the first and Braden Smith(Auburn Guard) in the 2nd.

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

The more I'm reading up on him, the more I'd have no problem taking him in the first either. Whenever you break Mario Williams' record for career sacks and tackles for loss,  you're doing something right.

He seems to be a better potential fit for a 4-3 system.  Not saying he cannot fit a 3-4, but I would definitely like to keep eyes on him.  Might be another Suggs or Houston off the edge.

Braden is looking like a 3rd or 4th rounder right now.  Could easily change but there are some better Guards in my opinion we could have with our 2nd round pick.  This all is assuming we stay at our pick with no trades.

5 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I thought I read somewhere where Chubb was shut down by a few OTs though. For me to take a pass rusher that high, I'd like him to not be dominated by anyone in the college level. 

As for Braden Smith, I really like him and would be more than happy taking him in the 3rd which is where I think his value is. I'd love drafting 3 OL decently high in the draft. Quenton Nelson is one, Martinas Rankin is another (Round 2 prospect), and Smith are all three of my favorite OL prospects. 

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think he’s Shaq Lawson 2.0. Lawson was another guy who was a better 4-3 fit, although he’s disappointed this far. I’d personally pass on all of the edge rushers in the 1st round. I’d take Harold Landry if he fell to 2nd though.

I'd also definitely take Dorance Armstrong from Kansas in the 2nd if he's there. 

16 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'd also definitely take Dorance Armstrong from Kansas in the 2nd if he's there. 

Agreed. Overall though, this is a poor class of edge rushers. Chubb isn’t Garrett or Bosa, Key is a question mark, and Landry isn’t amazing. Armstrong is underrated but not a top 30 guy IMO.

After that there isn’t anything else at the Edge position.

You guys are missing on some prospects... Go check out Ogbonnia Okoronkwo from Oklahoma and Hercules Mata'afa from Washington state. Very fun players. 

BTW I love Chubb. I like him better than any pass-rusher in this draft and I wouldn't mind it if we drafted him. BTW we still don't know if we are going to be in 3-4 scheme next year. A lot will depend on the new coach we get and the new D-coordinator. Don't rule out a defensive scheme switch in the off-season. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

You guys are missing on some prospects... Go check out Ogbonnia Okoronkwo from Oklahoma and Hercules Mata'afa from Washington state. Very fun players. 

BTW I love Chubb. I like him better than any pass-rusher in this draft and I wouldn't mind it if we drafted him. BTW we still don't know if we are going to be in 3-4 scheme next year. A lot will depend on the new coach we get and the new D-coordinator. Don't rule out a defensive scheme switch in the off-season. 

Ogbonnia is listed at only 6’1”, which is an issue for me. Most sites are down on Hercules because they say he is a designated pass rusher only and can’t stop the run. Matt Miller has him as like his 9th ranked edge player. WF has him in the teens, and he isn’t ranked on Drafftek.

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ogbonnia is listed at only 6’1”, which is an issue for me. Most sites are down on Hercules because they say he is a designated pass rusher only and can’t stop the run. Matt Miller has him as like his 9th ranked edge player. WF has him in the teens, and he isn’t ranked on Drafftek.

They haven't watched him yet, IMO(Mata'afa that is). He's playing interior lineman for Washington state. Yep.. he lines at nose and 3 tech at 250 lbs and he's whooping butt at that weight... he has 21.5 tackles for loss this year and 9.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles(this is only for this current year). I don't know how that qualifies as bad run defender. He's in the backfield before most interior linemen are out of their stance. The question with him will be about his transition to a DE or EDGE guy, but he is a freak with his burst and interior penetration. IMO he has the chance to be this year's Solomon Thomas and jump very high in the draft after freaky combine. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

They haven't watched him yet, IMO(Mata'afa that is). He's playing interior lineman for Washington state. Yep.. he lines at nose and 3 tech at 250 lbs and he's whooping butt at that weight... he has 21.5 tackles for loss this year and 9.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles(this is only for this current year). I don't know how that qualifies as bad run defender. He's in the backfield before most interior linemen are out of their stance. The question with him will be about his transition to a DE or EDGE guy, but he is a freak with his burst and interior penetration. IMO he has the chance to be this year's Solomon Thomas and jump very high in the draft after freaky combine. 

Your first point is exactly right.  Many rankings will change once they start to really watch more of these guys.  Right now you have rankings based on the "hyped" players.  Things will change.

As for Mata'afa - I started watching him after you mentioned him a month or two ago.  That kid can play.  Put him outside as your primary rush OLB and he will show you his explosion and ball skills.  I will take that all day long in the draft and he will probably be a 2nd day guy.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Your first point is exactly right.  Many rankings will change once they start to really watch more of these guys.  Right now you have rankings based on the "hyped" players.  Things will change.

As for Mata'afa - I started watching him after you mentioned him a month or two ago.  That kid can play.  Put him outside as your primary rush OLB and he will show you his explosion and ball skills.  I will take that all day long in the draft and he will probably be a 2nd day guy.

Yeah, I didn't say that as a knock on the pundits that are putting out those rankings, most of them probably are watching mainly NFL right now. When they begin their serious college prospects evaluation after the NFL season is done I think Mata'afa's name will start appearing around round 1-round 2 range and if he kills the combine(which I expect him to do) he might go in the first half of the 1st round. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I didn't say that as a knock on the pundits that are putting out those rankings, most of them probably are watching mainly NFL right now. When they begin their serious college prospects evaluation after the NFL season is done I think Mata'afa's name will start appearing around round 1-round 2 range and if he kills the combine(which I expect him to do) he might go in the first half of the 1st round. 

I can see him jumping up the boards.  Happens every year.  Many either did not know who Hassan Reddick was or saw him ranked as a mid-round guy.  Then eyes were on him and he killed the combine/pro day.  Jumped to the 13th pick I believe.  

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

We’ll see. He could be a late riser like Reddick was. But I find it a bit odd that scouts haven’t watched him yet playing at Washington State, but have watched Dallas Goedert, the TE from South Dakota state. The question will also be as to whether he can make those same plays in the backfield when he’s playing on the edge. I’m interested to see if he has a meteoric rise like Thomas and Reddick.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. Overall though, this is a poor class of edge rushers. Chubb isn’t Garrett or Bosa, Key is a question mark, and Landry isn’t amazing. Armstrong is underrated but not a top 30 guy IMO.

After that there isn’t anything else at the Edge position.

I do also like Lorenzo Carter too in the 3rd. But I believe Ballard should use this draft to finally fix the OL. The OL class is pretty strong this year, and instant impact players can be found. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched two of his draft breakdown videos last night (against Louisville and South Carolina). He stand up alot throughout those two games so that's not a worry. He has good bend with good speed. Excellent motor, never gives up on a play. He needs work on tackling. He misses alot in those two games. In the South Carolina game he has the RB in his arms but dosnt finish. This missed tackle lead to a TD. That's something that is coachable. His motor is not. I would pick him at #3 if available.

On 12/16/2017 at 1:45 PM, Dark Superman said:

Ballard isn't someone who will take Chubb if the kid is a head case.

Ballard is a guy who values hard work and character.

How do you define head case? I haven't heard anyone express any concerns about his character?