Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eli Manning benched

chad72

11 hours ago, GoPats said:

I think he ends up in Denver, somehow. Elway doubles down on Mannings and big bro backs it up.

For Patriots fans (or this one anyway), even after the last two Super Bowl wins, Eli Manning is like your girl’s ex who shows up at a party you’re attending... you smile uneasily and say hi but you’re like, “I’m watching you, dude. Don’t. Just don’t.” 

But what a total give up move by an otherwise highly respectable franchise. Maybe next week they should trot out a substitute coach too, because how can they not clean house now? 

rotflmao

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it dumber to bench Eli or to insert Gino Smith? This is my pet peeve with the NFL system having a "backup" that is NOT a backup at all. They pay a guy that cannot play. If backups make more than the NFL minimum it is a crime. Granted, there have been OK backups but the general crop is like putting gum in a crack in the Hoover Dam. I don't have the answer to the question but the current method of filling a roster at the QB position simply has never worked with few exceptions. Why doesn't Gino Smith improve like Keenam (Minnesota) has? What is being done with him? If he does not get better is he just a plug filling the QB backup position requirements?

"Like I always have, I will be ready to play if and when I am needed. I will help Geno and Davis prepare to play as well as they possibly can.”

Bob Papa (voice of the NY Giants) and David Diehl (played and got SB's with Eli) saw Eli having breakfast at his normal spot, and sitting right beside Davis Webb earlier this morning. The mentoring process is already in progress...

12 hours ago, CF4L said:

Think its rather laughable for anyone (especially a Pats fan no less) would think Eli would want to go to the Broncos.

Virtually every single news outlet is listing the Broncos as a possible destination for him. 

I don't know what's up with your misguided animosity or what the bold part above is supposed to mean, but whatever happened that apparently hurt you, it wasn't my fault. 

1 hour ago, GoPats said:

Virtually every single news outlet is listing the Broncos as a possible destination for him. 

I don't know what's up with your misguided animosity or what the bold part above is supposed to mean, but whatever happened that apparently hurt you, it wasn't my fault.

Virtually every single news outlet is making stuff up, whether they are talking about the Broncos or Jaguars being a fit. The Broncos are a fit because his brother played for them? Makes no sense. If Denver is a good fit for Eli Manning he would go there for the same reasons any other team is a fit; his on-field performance as a franchise QB and durability behind a bad offensive line. John Elway's refusal to acquire Tony Romo also is telling because Eli is an old veteran no longer in the Top 100, but would command too much moiney based on his pedigree.

Seriously...go Raiders. Macadoo is a fool. I know full well Eli has lost a step but he's a serviceable quarterback. The Jags should go all in next year. The young talent about to do this and that next year line has been wore out in Jacksonville. Get a quarterback and be done with it.

11 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Seriously...go Raiders. Macadoo is a fool. I know full well Eli has lost a step but he's a serviceable quarterback.

The Jags should go all in next year. The young talent about to do this and that next year line has been wore out in Jacksonville. Get a quarterback and be done with it.

What is the "Go Raiders" part for? Eli Manning is not going to Denve.

The Jaguars will get Allen Robinson back next year. Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook will not be rookies anymore. Of course many Jaguars fans think Marqise Lee is likely to be gone. No matter who the QB is in Jacklsomville he will have more help in the WR room. My main concern is Robinson not being fully healthy as he returns from a torn ACL.

Now, about that QB . . . The only way to get a new one is draft him. Tom Coughlin knows Eli Manning is only good if he has #13 on the field with him. We need a young QB for long-term success, not an old bandaid past his prime.

1 hour ago, JaguarsWoman said:

What is the "Go Raiders" part for? Eli Manning is not going to Denve.

The Jaguars will get Allen Robinson back next year. Keelan Cole and Dede Westbrook will not be rookies anymore. Of course many Jaguars fans think Marqise Lee is likely to be gone. No matter who the QB is in Jacklsomville he will have more help in the WR room. My main concern is Robinson not being fully healthy as he returns from a torn ACL.

Now, about that QB . . . The only way to get a new one is draft him. Tom Coughlin knows Eli Manning is only good if he has #13 on the field with him. We need a young QB for long-term success, not an old bandaid past his prime.

I think Eli is good if he has others like Cruz and Manningham that can catch the ball in critical situations. He was never the kind of guy who could carry a team on his shoulders like a Brady or Peyton with the passing game, even with OBJ on his team, needed that threat of a run game and defensive support to get far. However, when the lights shone bright, he always played unfazed and cashed in. :) 

If you believe your window of an elite D is just a few years, it makes all the sense to kick the tires on Eli, especially if you don't think Bortles is the guy that will get you far, IMO. 

Otherwise, you will have a situation like Denver, where a re-set button have to be pressed, and uncertainty around the QB situation looms and it becomes a matter of time where the D is on the field longer than it needs to be losing its shine eventually.

I think Tom will be very interested in bringing Eli into Jacksonville. I think a lot will depend on how this season finishes up. If they take a rookie qb then they likely will get one late day 1 or trade back into top of second round. I would think you wouldn't start someone like that right away...and to learn under EIi would make a lot of sense for a couple years.

That all said my dark horse for Eli next year is none other than the Minnesota Vikings. They are in a win now situation with a pieces in place that would be a good fit for him. Would he want to leave New York where his home and family is all situated etc...who knows...he might just switch jerseys to the Jets if that means a lot to him not to uproot his family. That said I think even as good as the Keenum and Bradford has been for the Vikings Eli would be the perfect fit to possibly put them over the top in Minnesota. What do you think about that @NFLfan ? To me Denver is no better than NY. They have perhaps even a worse OL and for a qb in his late 30's protection should be important factor...and the ability to run the ball. Best fit....Minnesota....best relationship...Jacksonville.....best for family...Jets....likely landing spot...yeah probably Denver.

47 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think Eli is good if he has others like Cruz and Manningham that can catch the ball in critical situations. He was never the kind of guy who could carry a team on his shoulders like a Brady or Peyton with the passing game, even with OBJ on his team, needed that threat of a run game and defensive support to get far. However, when the lights shone bright, he always played unfazed and cashed in.

If you believe your window of an elite D is just a few years, it makes all the sense to kick the tires on Eli, especially if you don't think Bortles is the guy that will get you far, IMO. 

Otherwise, you will have a situation like Denver, where a re-set button have to be pressed, and uncertainty around the QB situation looms and it becomes a matter of time where the D is on the field longer than it needs to be losing its shine eventually.

Eli is the only QB the Giants ever had since 2004 who could start every game, which is a big plus anywhere he goes. I don't see where you get the idea he was never a legit franchise QB who could carry the team. QBs like that do not get 210 opportuniites to start at the position. But nobody can argue he is a better leader than his brother Peyton was.

As for the Jaguars, look at the ages of their players. How many of them are older than 30? Dave Caldwell is a believer in building through the draft and signing UFAs to fill out the roster. I am not sure Calais Campbell would be a Jaguar in 2017 without Tom Coughlin's desire to get more experienced players and Marcel Dareus definnitely wouldn't be a Jag. With so many younger players - Malik Jackson, Yannick Ngakoue, Dante Fowler, Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, A.J. Bouye, Jalen Ramsey, and Barry Church. not to mention lesser-known role players - the idea Jacksonville's defense won't just be in win-now mode for a few years is complete nonsense. Eli Manning willl retire before Sacksonville falls apart.

5 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Eli is the only QB the Giants ever had since 2004 who could start every game, which is a big plus anywhere he goes. I don't see where you get the idea he was never a legit franchise QB who could carry the team. QBs like that do not get 210 opportuniites to start at the position. But nobody can argue he is a better leader than his brother Peyton was.

As for the Jaguars, look at the ages of their players. How many of them are older than 30? Dave Caldwell is a believer in building through the draft and signing UFAs to fill out the roster. I am not sure Calais Campbell would be a Jaguar in 2017 without Tom Coughlin's desire to get more experienced players and Marcel Dareus definnitely wouldn't be a Jag. With so many younger players - Malik Jackson, Yannick Ngakoue, Dante Fowler, Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, A.J. Bouye, Jalen Ramsey, and Barry Church. not to mention lesser-known role players - the idea Jacksonville's defense won't just be in win-now mode for a few years is complete nonsense. Eli Manning willl retire before Sacksonville falls apart.

I said he is not a great passing QB in the same mold as a Brady or Manning that if his run game and OL were to be in the dumps, which has been the case. Brady and Peyton have covered up more issues and gotten their passing game still going, that is what I was inferring at. I have seen Peyton throw to Blair White, Aaron Moorehead, Craphonso Thorpe kind of guys and make it work despite OL and run game issues. Eli is obviously a franchise QB, just not at the same level of passing QB like his brother or Brady, that is my point.

Even the great Seahawks' D had injuries (going to happen in this violent sport) and their window of dominance got smaller, so don't count your chickens on your Jaguars' D dominance continuing for too long. The Seahawks believed in building through the draft and maintaining a level of defensive dominance with quality depth as well, yet the dominance still continued to erode. I love your fandom and confidence, but history has shown me otherwise that nothing lasts for even a handful of years with regards to defensive dominance in the salary cap era. The only longevity in the modern NFL has been borne out with elite QB continuity with a team, allowing a team to go through the ebbs and flows of defensive performance, and defensive dominance will eventually erode until that team finds that elite QB.

The Ravens had several years of on and off top notch D but couldn't seal the deal till Flacco went on a run. That is just how the modern NFL works.

Nobody is talking about it, but I could see Arizona possibly making a bid to somehow get Eli for next year.  Eli really is not a West coast offense type QB.  He suffers under this current Giants scheme, but he flourished under Kevin Gilbride. Thus, can you see him with Bruce Arians and Tom Moore?

I heard Eli is considering waiving his no trade clause, and going elsewhere next year.  And it was really weird to think about Eli running the Scout Team in practice today as well...

8 hours ago, GoPats said:

Because his brother played there it generates clicks and makes a better story for the media despite both of them going out their way to not interfere with the other's career path(hence different conferences)

Rarely does anyone report actual facts. The fact is Eli is not the starter at this point in time. 

Him leaving the Giants or going to another team whether the Broncos or Jags or some other team is speculation.

21 hours ago, IinD said:

I honestly think all bets are off now in regards to careers crossing. Peyton isn't around anymore so Eli (as Manning's always do) will put himself in the best position to win. If it's Denver, he's going there.

So he can be compared to Peyton(as if that isn't his life story already) plus even if Eli wanted to go to Denver doesn't mean Elway wants it.

The only reason the Broncos went after  Big Bro Manning was because Elway wanted to escape Tebowmania and Big Bro Manning gave them an easy out.

Plus he already has a connection with Coughlin makes more sense to reunite with him.

Wait...didn't Eli win the SB the year after the centerpiece of the offense quit unexpectedly? And the 2nd guy was hurt most of the season IIRC. Yeah he just sucked so bad...

Anyway while I know you can't just buy FAs and win SBs, you can't argue with the results at quarterback lately. Favre got the Vikings to the NFCCG, Palmer got the Cardinals to the NFCCG, and Peyton got the Broncos to a SB. 

1 minute ago, BloodyChamp said:

Wait...didn't Eli win the SB the year after the centerpiece of the offense quit unexpectedly? And the 2nd guy was hurt most of the season IIRC. Yeah he just sucked so bad...

Anyway while I know you can't just buy FAs and win SBs, you can't argue with the results at quarterback lately. Favre got the Vikings to the NFCCG, Palmer got the Cardinals to the NFCCG, and Peyton got the Broncos to a SB. 

The Broncos did with Manning and years before that Reggie White with the Packers.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

So he can be compared to Peyton(as if that isn't his life story already) plus even if Eli wanted to go to Denver doesn't mean Elway wants it.

The only reason the Broncos went after  Big Bro Manning was because Elway wanted to escape Tebowmania and Big Bro Manning gave them an easy out.

Plus he already has a connection with Coughlin makes more sense to reunite with him.

A little off topic but everybody has forgot the Tim Tebow was the quarterback until they got possibly the greatest of all time to replace him. Nobody else was going to replace him. When Peyton was down they couldn't not replace him.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think Tom will be very interested in bringing Eli into Jacksonville. I think a lot will depend on how this season finishes up. If they take a rookie qb then they likely will get one late day 1 or trade back into top of second round. I would think you wouldn't start someone like that right away...and to learn under EIi would make a lot of sense for a couple years.

That all said my dark horse for Eli next year is none other than the Minnesota Vikings. They are in a win now situation with a pieces in place that would be a good fit for him. Would he want to leave New York where his home and family is all situated etc...who knows...he might just switch jerseys to the Jets if that means a lot to him not to uproot his family. That said I think even as good as the Keenum and Bradford has been for the Vikings Eli would be the perfect fit to possibly put them over the top in Minnesota. What do you think about that @NFLfan ? To me Denver is no better than NY. They have perhaps even a worse OL and for a qb in his late 30's protection should be important factor...and the ability to run the ball. Best fit....Minnesota....best relationship...Jacksonville.....best for family...Jets....likely landing spot...yeah probably Denver.

I don't know. I like Eli but he throws too many INTs. I don't see him signing here. 

I know you are not a Bridgewater fan and I appreciate it but I think he would thrive in Shurmur's offense. I think Teddy will be our QB next year unless Keenum wins us a SB. Zimmer loves Teddy and keeps telling the media that Teddy looks great in the offense. He has not replaced Keenum, as we are winning. 

One older quarterback that I have always liked is Rivers. After Teddy's injury last year, it was Rivers that I wanted the team to acquire. 

59 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

A little off topic but everybody has forgot the Tim Tebow was the quarterback until they got possibly the greatest of all time to replace him. Nobody else was going to replace him. When Peyton was down they couldn't not replace him.

That's the point the Broncos weren't really going after Manning to begin with because he was Peyton Manning it was a means to an end. Which ended well for them. Imagine how Elway would be perceived had Manning chosen another team.

This is actually kinda sad and I love to crack jokes at the Giants this year. But Eli himself almost choked up over it in an interview. :( It's the end of an era........sigh........

At least now we get to see what Geno Smith can do. *said nobody EVER.*

2 hours ago, CF4L said:

We're both just guessing, who knows what the right move for Eli is.

I know the Manning family always makes the best choices for themselves (rightfully so of course) and if Eli feels Denver and Elway is down, he'll go there.

He has the same amount of rings as Peyton so I don't think there's a shadow of Peyton in Denver to follow.

You could make a case for several teams actually.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

This is actually kinda sad and I love to crack jokes at the Giants this year. But Eli himself almost choked up over it in an interview. :( It's the end of an era........sigh........

At least now we get to see what Geno Smith can do. *said nobody EVER.*

For the life of me I still don't get this move.

If anyone should know how bad Geno is it's the team that shared the same building as him wouldn't it?

I think that Mcadoo is trying a desperation Hail Mary to save his job. He went full crash and burn mode pretty quick.

No way Eli isn't the best qb on that roster.

12 minutes ago, IinD said:

We're both just guessing, who knows what the right move for Eli is.

I know the Manning family always makes the best choices for themselves (rightfully so of course) and if Eli feels Denver and Elway is down, he'll go there.

He has the same amount of rings as Peyton so I don't think there's a shadow of Peyton in Denver to follow.

You could make a case for several teams actually.

Yes they have the same amount of rings and a gene pool but when it came to overall talent Peyton is one of the greatest of all time. Eli was very good at best but rather inconsistent.

Eli was never compared to his peers he was always compared to his brother would be worse if he joined a team that is two years removed from his brother.

With other teams not named Broncos or Colts he won't have that issue.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

It's not like Elway has done a bad job in Denver outside of Manning. Manning fans holding him to the standard of Superbowl every year or failing must not remember how dumb that was when Manning himself was held to that same standard for the several years he didn't win 1.

I don't hold Elway to any standard but he put it out there he didn't need an elite QB as long as he had that defense. Hey they won despite Manning after all. They had that defense last year and missed the playoffs. 

And the team is even worse now at this point that does fall on Elway because John Fox, Manning, Kubiak, Wade etc are no longer there.

How many of those FAs that came to Denver came because of the future HOFer at QB?

I would say  most if not all.

Yes he should at least be criticized for not finding a decent replacement for Manning sure its hard to replace a legend at QB (he should know since if not for Manning they would still be finding that Elway replacement) but they had him at the end of his career they knew it was coming.

Manning was always held to that standard even after he won 1 because he just won 1 after all. Yes it was absurd but with each passing year that 1 looks real good right now.

20 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

The Giants said nothing about trying to secure the #3 pick behind the Browns and 49ers. They know it will be a Top 5, maybe #2 if a couple other teams start doing some things right. The truth is Ben McAdoo shuld be unemployed on the last day of 2017.

I think when a team has multiple needs like the NYGs....a '6' is as good as a '3'

There's no magic about the Top-5.....You just have to have an eye for talent..

.....Nobody's beating out the Browns for that No. 1..and SF may win a few now with Jimmy G

and yes....I dont understand what McAdoo has done well so far

22 minutes ago, IinD said:

If anyone should know how bad Geno is it's the team that shared the same building as him wouldn't it?

I think that Mcadoo is trying a desperation Hail Mary to save his job. He went full crash and burn mode pretty quick.

Maybe the Giants want to full on tank the rest of the season? 

I don't know Eli's contract situation too but would he have to be traded? I see some speculate that they want to avoid him getting hurt before years end so he is solid for trading purposes.

54 minutes ago, IinD said:

The Giants owner was interviewed tonight.  He said he miscalculated two things- that were related. First, he thought Eli would be OK to start a game, and play it for awhile... if doing good.  Then let Geno and later, Davis sub in.  Eli wanted no part of that. Thus now Giants are forced to start Geno because Eli won't play a 'token start' just for the streaks sake.  So Eli won't play at all now (unless Smith and Webb get injured... something Eli never did in 210 starts!!), and that caused an even bigger backlash then pulling him from a game would have.  I also believe Eli will waive his no trade clause under set circumstances (of his choosing) and seek employment elsewhere next year.  And he will have suitors, or maybe teams will even wait it out and force NY to 'cut him and take the big dead cap hit, and try to sign him as a free agent.  Who knows.  We'll see it unfold though.

9 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Virtually every single news outlet is making stuff up, whether they are talking about the Broncos or Jaguars being a fit. The Broncos are a fit because his brother played for them? Makes no sense. If Denver is a good fit for Eli Manning he would go there for the same reasons any other team is a fit; his on-field performance as a franchise QB and durability behind a bad offensive line. John Elway's refusal to acquire Tony Romo also is telling because Eli is an old veteran no longer in the Top 100, but would command too much moiney based on his pedigree.

Of course they’re making stuff up, that’s what they do. And no, it has nothing to do with Peyton really, except that I would think Eli would get a positive endorsement from him based on his experience playing for them. It’s more about the Broncos and their window and the need for a QB. 

Regardless, it’s just speculation on my part and was meant to be lighthearted... 

24 minutes ago, Jules said:

Maybe the Giants want to full on tank the rest of the season? 

I don't know Eli's contract situation too but would he have to be traded? I see some speculate that they want to avoid him getting hurt before years end so he is solid for trading  rposes.

Fans want teams to tank. Players do not.  They are paid to play, and their mindset is to want to play.  And they also want to keep their high paying jobs.  So players do not tank.  Everything is on tape, and the players know it.  I really do think this is a test under fire of Smith and Webb to see if NY needs to draft a QB early next year.

One thing I have noticed less of these days...  team out of the playoffs playing "Spoiler" to those teams on the cusp of making the playoffs.

"If were not going in we're going to keep you from going to!"   It was a badge of honor for losing teams to do this kind of thing.  Now, I just don't notice it as much.  Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

I don't hold Elway to any standard but he put it out there he didn't need an elite QB as long as he had that defense. Hey they won despite Manning after all. They had that defense last year and missed the playoffs. 

You held him to that standard before you even finished the paragraph :facepalm:

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Nobody is talking about it, but I could see Arizona possibly making a bid to somehow get Eli for next year.  Eli really is not a West coast offense type QB.  He suffers under this current Giants scheme, but he flourished under Kevin Gilbride. Thus, can you see him with Bruce Arians and Tom Moore?

I heard Eli is considering waiving his no trade clause, and going elsewhere next year. And it was really weird to think about Eli running the Scout Team in practice today as well...

Eli having a no-trade clause in his contract is news to me. There was a lot of chatter about the Jaguars trading for him fin late October. Where would that stupid rumor come from if he is contractually bound to stay in New York?

Ben McAdoo was hired to replace Kevin Gilbride because Tom Coughlin wanted to go in a different direction. McAdoo, of course, was promoted to maintain continuity wiht Eli Manning.