Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 10 Colts in Past 20 Years

ColtsFanMikeC

I was bored and this season has been a little hard to watch so I was just going through some of the glory days we, as Colts' fans, have been lucky to have over past 20 years.

All information comes from Pro-Football-Reference.com

The NFL Approximate Value Career leader (of all-time):  Peyton Manning (271) followed by Brett Favre(255), Jerry Rice (250) and Tom Brady (236)

The NFL All-Time Passing yards Leader: Peyton Manning (71,940), follwed by Brett Favre (71,838), Drew Brees (69,140), and Tom Brady (64,956).  If Brees plays another year, he likely beats Peyton.  Brady's going to need 2 more years playing at a high level.

The NFL All-Time Pass TD leader: Peyton Manning (539), followed by Favre (508), Brady (482), Brees (481).  Brees and Brady both likely need 1 record type year or 2 average years to surpass Peyton here.

The 7th NFL All-time passer rating leader: Peyton Manning (96.5), he is behind Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Romo, Young, and Brees.

The 2nd NFL all-time passes completed leader: Peyton Manning (6,125), following Favre (6,300) and ahead of Brees (6,102) and Brady (5,523) -- Brees surpasses him in a week or 2... Brady needs another year and a half.

The all-time leader for 4th quarter comebacks at QB: Peyton Manning (45), ahead of Brady (40), Marino & Unitas (36), Elway (35)

The 3rd all-time leader for pick sixes thrown: Peyton Manning (27), behind Favre and Marino (and 1 spot ahead of Brees).

Tied for first for all-time probowl selections: Peyton Manning (14) tied with B. Matthews, T. Gonzalez, M. Olsen.  Brady is tied for 3rd with 12.

The 9th NFL all-time interception leader: Peyton Manning (251) -- he's behind Favre, Blanda, Hadl, Testaverde, Tarkenton, Snead, Unitas, and Marino.

3rd and 4th all-time for pass yards/game: Andrew Luck (272.5), Peyton Manning (270.5), behind Brees (283.4) and Stafford (277.6).

The 7th NFL all-time rushing yards leader: Frank Gore (13,684), he will surpass Bettis and Tomlinson with less than 50 yards .. also behind E. Smith, Payton, Sanders, C. Martin.  Notables on this list are Marshall Faulk (at 11), and Edgerrin James (at 13, he was 12 until Adrian Peterson surpassed him last week).

The 5th NFL all-time receptions leader: Marvin Harrison (1,102), behind Rice, T. Gonzalez, Fitzgerald, J. Witten.  The 10th all-time receptions leader: Reggie Wayne (1,070).  Notable mention: Andre Johnson (#11, with 1,062).

The 8th NFL all-time receiving yards/game leader: Marvin Harrison (76.7), behind J. Jones, Beckham, C. Johnson, A. Brown, AJ Green, J. Gordon, T. Holt.

The 9th and 10th most receiving yards all-time: Marvin (14,580), Reggie (14,345) -- behind Rice, TO, Moss, Bruce, Fitzgerald, Gonzalez, T. Brown, S. Smith.  Notable mention: Andre Johnson (#11, with 14,185).

The 5th all-time receiving TD leader: Marvin Harrison (128), behind Rice, Moss, Owens, Carter.

The 7th and 9th all-time most TDs (non-passing): Marshall Faulk (136) and Marvin Harrison (128), behind Rice, E. Smith, Tomlinson, Moss, Owens, Marcus Allen and then Chris Carter is 8th.

The 6th all-purpose yards leader in NFL history: Marshall Faulk (19,190) behind Rice, Brian Mitchell, Walter Payton, E. Smith, Tim Brown.  Notable mention: Frank Gore (#15, with 17,239 -- slightly less than 1,000 yards away from moving into top ten - would need 18,308).

The 4th and 9th yards-from-scrimmage leaders: Faulk (18,456) and Gore (17,232) behind Rice, E. Smith, W. Payton, and then Tomlinson, Sanders, M. Allen, C. Martin fall ahead of Gore.

The 2nd all-time in FG made; Adam Vinatieri (551) behind Mort Andersen (565) -- outside shot (looking at 3 FG a game) Vinny surpasses this year, but if he comes back next year there is no doubt.

The 5th all-time in XP made: Adam Vinatieri (802), behind Blanda, M. Andersen, G. Anderson, Groza

The 2nd all-time in total points scored: Adam Vinatieri (2,457) behind only M. Andersen (2,544) -- Vinny beats him with 1 more year.

The 7th all-time in yards per punt: Pat McAfee (46.4)

The 3rd in total kick & punt return yards: Josh Cribbs -- behind Brian Mitchell and Allen Rossum.  Cribbs is also the 1st (tied with Leon Washington) for kick returns for TDs.  I shouldn't put him on this list because he was more harmful than helpful for us... but he was technically a Colt for a while.

The 5th most games played in NFL history: Adam Vinatieri (332), behind M. Andersen, G. Anderson, J. Feagles and G. Blanda... with one more year he'd tie G. Anderson for #2 all time.

That seems to be it.... Freeney and Mathis are 17 and 18 in sacks.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Even though some of these guys came to Indy on the decline (A. Johnson, J. Cribbs) and some did a lot of their marquee work elsewhere (M. Faulk, F. Gore ..... arguably Vinatieri, Edge and even Peyton won a SB in a donkey suit) we have been lucky to have witnessed some of the NFL's greatest players in Colts' uniforms over the past 2 decades.

1 minute ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I was bored and this season has been a little hard to watch so I was just going through some of the glory days we, as Colts' fans, have been lucky to have over past 20 years.

The NFL Approximate Value Career leader (of all-time):  Peyton Manning (271) followed by Brett Favre(255), Jerry Rice (250) and Tom Brady (236)

The NFL All-Time Passing yards Leader: Peyton Manning (71,940), follwed by Brett Favre (71,838), Drew Brees (69,140), and Tom Brady (64,956).  If Brees plays another year, he likely beats Peyton.  Brady's going to need 2 more years playing at a high level.

The NFL All-Time Pass TD leader: Peyton Manning (539), followed by Favre (508), Brady (482), Brees (481).  Brees and Brady both likely need 1 record type year or 2 average years to surpass Peyton here.

The 7th NFL All-time passer rating leader: Peyton Manning (96.5), he is behind Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, Romo, Young, and Brees.

The 2nd NFL all-time passes completed leader: Peyton Manning (6,125), following Favre (6,300) and ahead of Brees (6,102) and Brady (5,523) -- Brees surpasses him in a week or 2... Brady needs another year and a half.

The all-time leader for 4th quarter comebacks at QB: Peyton Manning (45), ahead of Brady (40), Marino & Unitas (36), Elway (35)

The 3rd all-time leader for pick sixes thrown: Peyton Manning (27), behind Favre and Marino (and 1 spot ahead of Brees).

Tied for first for all-time probowl selections: Peyton Manning (14) tied with B. Matthews, T. Gonzalez, M. Olsen.  Brady is tied for 3rd with 12.

The 9th NFL all-time interception leader: Peyton Manning (251) -- he's behind Favre, Blanda, Hadl, Testaverde, Tarkenton, Snead, Unitas, and Marino.

3rd and 4th all-time for pass yards/game: Andrew Luck (272.5), Peyton Manning (270.5), behind Brees (283.4) and Stafford (277.6).

The 7th NFL all-time rushing yards leader: Frank Gore (13,684), he will surpass Bettis and Tomlinson with less than 50 yards .. also behind E. Smith, Payton, Sanders, C. Martin.  Notables on this list are Marshall Faulk (at 11), and Edgerrin James (at 13, he was 12 until Adrian Peterson surpassed him last week).

The 5th NFL all-time receptions leader: Marvin Harrison (1,102), behind Rice, T. Gonzalez, Fitzgerald, J. Witten.  The 10th all-time receptions leader: Reggie Wayne (1,070).  Notable mention: Andre Johnson (#11, with 1,062).

The 8th NFL all-time receiving yards/game leader: Marvin Harrison (76.7), behind J. Jones, Beckham, C. Johnson, A. Brown, AJ Green, J. Gordon, T. Holt.

The 9th and 10th most receiving yards all-time: Marvin (14,580), Reggie (14,345) -- behind Rice, TO, Moss, Bruce, Fitzgerald, Gonzalez, T. Brown, S. Smith.  Notable mention: Andre Johnson (#11, with 14,185).

The 5th all-time receiving TD leader: Marvin Harrison (128), behind Rice, Moss, Owens, Carter.

The 7th and 9th all-time most TDs (non-passing): Marshall Faulk (136) and Marvin Harrison (128), behind Rice, E. Smith, Tomlinson, Moss, Owens, Marcus Allen and then Chris Carter is 8th.

The 6th all-purpose yards leader in NFL history: Marshall Faulk (19,190) behind Rice, Brian Mitchell, Walter Payton, E. Smith, Tim Brown.  Notable mention: Frank Gore (#15, with 17,239 -- slightly less than 1,000 yards away from moving into top ten - would need 18,308).

The 4th and 9th yards-from-scrimmage leaders: Faulk (18,456) and Gore (17,232) behind Rice, E. Smith, W. Payton, and then Tomlinson, Sanders, M. Allen, C. Martin fall ahead of Gore.

The 2nd all-time in FG made; Adam Vinatieri (551) behind Mort Andersen (565) -- outside shot (looking at 3 FG a game) Vinny surpasses this year, but if he comes back next year there is no doubt.

The 5th all-time in XP made: Adam Vinatieri (802), behind Blanda, M. Andersen, G. Anderson, Groza

The 2nd all-time in total points scored: Adam Vinatieri (2,457) behind only M. Andersen (2,544) -- Vinny beats him with 1 more year.

The 3rd in total kick & punt return yards: Josh Cribbs -- behind Brian Mitchell and Allen Rossum.  Cribbs is also the 1st (tied with Leon Washington) for kick returns for TDs.  I shouldn't put him on this list because he was more harmful than helpful for us... but he was technically a Colt for a while.

The 5th most games played in NFL history: Adam Vinatieri (332), behind M. Andersen, G. Anderson, J. Feagles and G. Blanda... with one more year he'd tie G. Anderson for #2 all time.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Even though some of these guys came to Indy on the decline (A. Johnson, J. Cribbs) and some did a lot of their marquee work elsewhere (M. Faulk, F. Gore ..... arguably Vinatieri, Edge and even Peyton won a SB in a donkey suit) we have been lucky to have witnessed some of the NFL's greatest players in Colts' uniforms over the past 2 decades.

If you are asking me who the Top 10 Colts Players are since the 1998 Season - 2017 which is 20 seasons, then Andrew Luck would even be in that because of his 2012-2014 seasons. I would say:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Bob Sanders - He is Top 3 because without him we don't win the SB in 06, he also was DPOY in 2007, only Colt to win that award in Indianapolis history.

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Dwight Freeney

6. Robert Mathis

7. Edgerrin James

8. Jeff Saturday

9. Gary Brackett

10. Andrew Luck - Has given us 3 years of solid play, Great comebacks.

36 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Yes you were bored, lol.

Nice post, I like all the information.  I hardly ever look it up and normally only hear it when a record is about to go down during a game or the commentators are just mentioning some of these landmarks.

Thanks for the effort.

When I first coached varsity football I was the ST coach so I sorta like those stats.  Adam and Pat are a couple of my favorite Colts.  I think it is more than fair to claim Adam as a Colt btw.  We have had some good punters over the years... Rohn Starke, Hunter Smith, Gardocki, Pat, and even our new punter Sanchez is a good pro with promising talent.

I don't really claim Faulk as a Colt.  I know he was here a few years (5 I think) but he did most of his damage in the NFL as a Ram.  Sorta the same with Dickerson and Gore.  Appreciate all of their effort while they were here and it feels like they were/are committed as a Colt, but it would be like saying Peyton is a Bronco.

Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Saturday and Edge... nothing else really needs to be said.

Again, good post I like this type of conversation.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you are asking me who the Top 10 Colts Players are since the 1998 Season - 2017 which is 20 seasons, then Andrew Luck would even be in that because of his 2012-2014 seasons. I would say:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Bob Sanders - He is Top 3 because without him we don't win the SB in 06, he also was DPOY in 2007, only Colt to win that award in Indianapolis history.

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Dwight Freeney

6. Robert Mathis

7. Edgerrin James

8. Jeff Saturday

9. Gary Brackett

In terms of how they have been for the Colts I'd rank it:

1) Peyton

2) Marvin

3) Vinatieri (he is the greatest at his position of all-time and even in his mid-40's he isn't slowing down)

4) Edge (I thought Edge was the best back in the league for at least 2 years here, he was the complete package in terms of blocking, receiving, rushing)

5) Andrew Luck (he was an elite QB for 3 years in this league before injuries -- let's hope he gets back there and better)

6) Reggie Wayne (he'll be a HOFer eventually)

7) Bob Sanders (like you say, the dude was a beast, and major part of our SB win and DPOY -- if he wasn't injury-prone he would've been up for that award more often)

8) Mathis (maybe he doped in the year he had 19.5 sacks, but he was a very integral part of the change from Manning to Luck going so smooth, he stepped up and led this team)

9) TY Hilton (he's been consistent and has improved every year he's been in this league -- even despite the past 2 years of shaky QB play)

10) Saturday (he was a rock at C)

Honorable mentions: Freeney (I loved Freeney, just a major liability against the run and he couldn't hang when our D switched in the Pagano era, which is main reason I put Mathis over him), Vontae (he had 2-3 years where he was a top 5 CB in this league), Dallas Clark (he was a gritty player, fun to watch, and when healthy added a new dimension to this team), Tarik Glenn (he was an anchor at LT for a long time on this team), and Antoine Bethea (he played at a high level here and is still playing at a high level).

In terms of how they are all-time, I'd have to put Gore on the list (he's a top 5 all-time RB and still playing well despite his age and the fact we have a terrible line and have had a terrible line since he's been here), and Andre Johnson (he didn't play well for us, but he's right behind Reggie and a top 15 WR of all-time.

23 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

In terms of how they have been for the Colts I'd rank it:

1) Peyton

2) Marvin

3) Vinatieri (he is the greatest at his position of all-time and even in his mid-40's he isn't slowing down)

4) Edge (I thought Edge was the best back in the league for at least 2 years here, he was the complete package in terms of blocking, receiving, rushing)

5) Andrew Luck (he was an elite QB for 3 years in this league before injuries -- let's hope he gets back there and better)

6) Reggie Wayne (he'll be a HOFer eventually)

7) Bob Sanders (like you say, the dude was a beast, and major part of our SB win and DPOY -- if he wasn't injury-prone he would've been up for that award more often)

8) Mathis (maybe he doped in the year he had 19.5 sacks, but he was a very integral part of the change from Manning to Luck going so smooth, he stepped up and led this team)

9) TY Hilton (he's been consistent and has improved every year he's been in this league -- even despite the past 2 years of shaky QB play)

10) Saturday (he was a rock at C)

Honorable mentions: Freeney (I loved Freeney, just a major liability against the run and he couldn't hang when our D switched in the Pagano era, which is main reason I put Mathis over him), Vontae (he had 2-3 years where he was a top 5 CB in this league), Dallas Clark (he was a gritty player, fun to watch, and when healthy added a new dimension to this team), Tarik Glenn (he was an anchor at LT for a long time on this team), and Antoine Bethea (he played at a high level here and is still playing at a high level).

In terms of how they are all-time, I'd have to put Gore on the list (he's a top 5 all-time RB and still playing well despite his age and the fact we have a terrible line and have had a terrible line since he's been here), and Andre Johnson (he didn't play well for us, but he's right behind Reggie and a top 15 WR of all-time.

I almost put Luck 9th but Brackett was Ray Lewis Light IMO haha You have a pretty good list, my 11th player would probably be Adam. He is unreal and automatic. Love TY too but not in my Top 10.

Manning

Harrison

James

Glenn 

Saturday

Freeney

Mathis

Wayne

Sanders

Vinatieri

My 10 are all players who you didn't have to worry about winning the little battles that their position demanded. I'd also add that these players acted with humility when they won and gave credit to the better team when they didn't. And no Peyton didn't throw the linemen under the bus that one time after a big loss in the playoffs.

On 11/27/2017 at 5:16 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

4. Reggie Wayne

5. Dwight Freeney

6. Robert Mathis

7. Edgerrin James

8. Jeff Saturday

9. Gary Brackett

I like your list.  I would change Gary Brackett for Antoine Bethea though.  And I would probably change Andrew Luck with Tarik Glenn or Adam V.  Luck hasn't given us enough games to make the list if you ask me.