Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After OL, ILB is the Biggest Need by Far

Defjamz26

4 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I kind of disagree but yet agree with pretty much all opinions haha .  In my view the players, coaches and scheme all share some of the blame, but the biggest factor is not having Luck in there (Mr. Obvious right).  I couldn't see the team being any worse than 8-8 this year with a healthy Luck.  I see 4-5 games that probably would've been wins with him in.  That being said they wouldn't be world beaters by any means but there would probably be a 3 way tie atop the AFC South.  I don't really think anyone expected this team to do much without Luck.  

I think with Luck we are 7-4 right now tied for first. We have been in most games and just haven't had that closer. Brissett is what he is = Great backup, Good starter at times but we lack that 'IT' factor without Luck to close games. Luck is arguably a Top 5 QB when he is healthy! No way we lose to the Cards, Cincy, or last week vs the Titans if Luck plays. That is common sense.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we drafting another RB?

Don't see much in free agency.  Maybe Alfred Morris who has always been fairly productive when given the opportunity(generally healthy and available, too) and should have tread left on the tires, playing behind Elliot for a few years.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 12:23 PM, shastamasta said:

Yep. Hated that draft pick from day one. The guy tested like an OL at his pro day. Those are obviously just data points...and not the end-all-be-all...but they also should have been a hell of a red flag.

Sure, he had the injury, but that even more of a red flag. And then the Colts pick him in the 4th round...with the pick they gained from trading back for TJ Green (passing on a few much better prospects). What a terrible set of decisions...and yet another defensive player drafted that doesn't belong in the NFL (and likely won't be sooner than later). And while Grigson was bad, the more recent examples have Pagano's fingerprints all over them (Smith, Green, Morrison). I expect to see the new HC and Ballard clean house of these leftovers after this season.

Another thing I am looking forward with a new coaching staff is bringing in a different philosophy at the ILB position. These slow two-down ILBs are a liability. The Colts need athletic ILBs that can cover. I am still salty that they passed over Zach Brown in consecutive offseasons...only to now see him thrive in a Manusky-coached defense. The entire ILB group needs to be rebuilt, with the exception of a depth piece or two. 

Looks like that Manusky coached defense is looking just like it did in Indy.  Even with better personnel.

The defense

Washington has now given up the most points in the NFL this season. The Redskins have given up at least 30 points in six of their past eight games. They’ve given up at least 30 points seven times in total, something that had happened in just three previous seasons in the history of the franchise. The Browns (six), Cardinals (six) and Bucs (five) are the only other teams that have allowed 30 points more than four times this season — and, again, the Skins have done it six times in eight games.

Points allowed is an inefficient way to measure a defense, but no one who has watched the past two months can think that this defense is anything but poor. And Greg Manusky is already Gruden’s third defensive coordinator in four seasons. At some point, you can’t just keep firing people without the results reflecting badly on the people doing the hiring and firing. (Hey, that sentence might have a deeper meaning, now that I think of it.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/11/none-of-this-looks-good-for-jay-gruden/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.fca24ede8e69

I would like to see what Jermaine Grace can offer at ILB. I too wanted Zach Brown in free agency but Bostic has actually graded out better. I think we will draft an ILB but there aren’t many options in FA except maybe Todd Davis (Broncos) and maybe Hitchens (Cowboys).

I think a lot depends on who our next coach is too.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Looks like that Manusky coached defense is looking just like it did in Indy.  Even with better personnel.

The defense

Washington has now given up the most points in the NFL this season. The Redskins have given up at least 30 points in six of their past eight games. They’ve given up at least 30 points seven times in total, something that had happened in just three previous seasons in the history of the franchise. The Browns (six), Cardinals (six) and Bucs (five) are the only other teams that have allowed 30 points more than four times this season — and, again, the Skins have done it six times in eight games.

Points allowed is an inefficient way to measure a defense, but no one who has watched the past two months can think that this defense is anything but poor. And Greg Manusky is already Gruden’s third defensive coordinator in four seasons. At some point, you can’t just keep firing people without the results reflecting badly on the people doing the hiring and firing. (Hey, that sentence might have a deeper meaning, now that I think of it.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/12/11/none-of-this-looks-good-for-jay-gruden/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.fca24ede8e69

Yep. I wasn't trying to say Manusky was thriving...just that Brown has been good...and I think he would have been good in Indy with Monachino. The dude's a warrior and has been playing through multiple injuries (though that is likely somewhat motivated by his impending FA). Unfortunately, it looks like it might have might have come up to him. 

On 11/27/2017 at 2:22 PM, azcolt said:

If Luck isn't ready by the time the draft rolls around next Spring, the clear greatest need is qb and luckily several good ones should be available. Brissett has potential but will need competition. We have an empty jersey backing him up now. If/when Luck returns, we can trade one of the other two.

If luck not ready by spring Time and we draft a QB in the first time and luck is ready to play the next following year time to cut luck or trade him away and keep Bursett. 

Cost and Talent wise I think it will be easier to add O-line via free agency not exclusively but in large part....besides there is almost never (without paying bank breaking #'s premier OLB/Pass rush) in FA.....so I would like to see the first few rounds 1-2 be focused on defensive difference makers in a perfect world...then 3-6 used on O-line if need be, banking on a good FA signing or two.....we will have need at RB (which looks to be deep in this draft) and WR. Just BPA me taking need into consideration, we have a lot of holes to fill so you can hardly go wrong.

And GOD love a duck if we need to consider QB as a need.....I choose not to go there yet.......