Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyel the front runner

Hoose

I understand that Greg Doyel is paid to get people to click on his articles. But what a front runner he is. All positive when the Colts win. All negative when they lose. Little perspective on player performances. He's a hot mess when it comes to analyzing this team. 

Case in point, and I say this not as a Hilton apologist but just an observer: TY is being double teamed everywhere he goes, with few open opportunities. He needs a couple of things to help him out there: 

1. Another player besides Jack Doyle to bail him out with better route running.

2. Schemes that give him more quick hitting opportunities, such as putting him in motion more and rubbing him off other receivers.  Combined with faster developing plays. 

3. A QB who can make faster progressions. I love Brissett and his toughness. But he holds onto the ball too long; cannot make quick decisions; and overall is still learning the playbook. 

4. An O-line that can actually pick up on a stunt or two from the opposing D. 

TY Hilton isn't the problem. 

Doyel dumps on Moncrief because he celebrates after the catch. But the entire league has gone this way. I don't like it either, especially from a seriously underperforming player, but don't go questioning their heart. Moncreif just isnt that good. Doyel calls these guys a cancer; I'd suggest he look further and see that the locker room is on the verge of being lost because of lousy coaching, lousy schemes, plus the knowledge that this team is going nowhere fast, and that the coaches are dead men walking. 

Doyel, if you are going to cast stones, which is all you usually do, then at least aim at the proper targets. Which would be lack of talent on this team (Grigson); awful coaching (Pagano and his assistants); and an owner who has made a number of clueless decisions to get the team here. Combined with the fact that the franchise QB has not been on the field all season, and the guy that has replaced him is still green as pea soup. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say one thing about him, I believe he calls it as he sees it and is up front about it.  His article even stated he spoke to Moncrief before the article looking to let him explain why he celebrated so much when we have lost so many games and he has been a factor in that to which Moncrief basically scoffed.

I am sure he embellishes to get those extra clicks but I think there are times you need someone like him rather than the safe hands of Lamey and Holder who wont say too much against the team/coaches/players.

I enjoy reading the articles but always take them with a pinch of salt.

Gregg Doyle is the everyman's writer. He represents the majority of fans (because he is one), and has the platform to express his thoughts. He doesn't conform and isn't PC (which is a good thing). He'll express his thoughts in a harsh matter sometimes, but the majority of what he says is true. He'll praise the team when they are doing well and deserve it, and he'll bash them when they are doing poorly. We are just doing poorly right now, so the criticism is warranted. Doyel keeps them honest, which is what a good writer should do. I hate when a writer manipulates the facts and tries to put a positive spin on the season. I want honesty and an honest critiquing of the team, and Doyle does it well.

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I understand that Greg Doyel is paid to get people to click on his articles. But what a front runner he is. All positive when the Colts win. All negative when they lose. Little perspective on player performances. He's a hot mess when it comes to analyzing this team. 

Case in point, and I say this not as a Hilton apologist but just an observer: TY is being double teamed everywhere he goes, with few open opportunities. He needs a couple of things to help him out there: 

1. Another player besides Jack Doyle to bail him out with better route running.

2. Schemes that give him more quick hitting opportunities, such as putting him in motion more and rubbing him off other receivers.  Combined with faster developing plays. 

3. A QB who can make faster progressions. I love Brissett and his toughness. But he holds onto the ball too long; cannot make quick decisions; and overall is still learning the playbook. 

4. An O-line that can actually pick up on a stunt or two from the opposing D. 

TY Hilton isn't the problem. 

Doyel dumps on Moncrief because he celebrates after the catch. But the entire league has gone this way. I don't like it either, especially from a seriously underperforming player, but don't go questioning their heart. Moncreif just isnt that good. Doyel calls these guys a cancer; I'd suggest he look further and see that the locker room is on the verge of being lost because of lousy coaching, lousy schemes, plus the knowledge that this team is going nowhere fast, and that the coaches are dead men walking. 

Doyel, if you are going to cast stones, which is all you usually do, then at least aim at the proper targets. Which would be lack of talent on this team (Grigson); awful coaching (Pagano and his assistants); and an owner who has made a number of clueless decisions to get the team here. Combined with the fact that the franchise QB has not been on the field all season, and the guy that has replaced him is still green as pea soup. 

VN Rant.

What say we replace monGrief with a twitchy route runner.

ReFix ourselves up front.

Get us an innovative O-coordinator.

About #3 up there.   :thinking:     Homerville thinks their LUCKY will be back 100%.
But even if so, you can replace Brissetts name up there with LUCKY and (still after 5+ years) have the same problem.
LUCKY so far, has shown little skill at throwing quick decision accurate passes. His happiness comes from throwing the ball after the receiver makes his break and shows himself open. And GEE, that takes time.  What to do?

I kind of liked the article, there really isnt anything to celebrate and beat their chest from these players on the verge of getting cut. Too many dropped balls and such little effort given to be that full of yourself. The WR core really miss a guy like reggie or marvin right now, not just from a talent stand point but also a true leader.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Gregg Doyle is the everyman's writer. He represents the majority of fans (because he is one), and has the platform to express his thoughts. He doesn't conform and isn't PC (which is a good thing). He'll express his thoughts in a harsh matter sometimes, but the majority of what he says is true. He'll praise the team when they are doing well and deserve it, and he'll bash them when they are doing poorly. We are just doing poorly right now, so the criticism is warranted. Doyel keeps them honest, which is what a good writer should do. I hate when a writer manipulates the facts and tries to put a positive spin on the season. I want honesty and an honest critiquing of the team, and Doyle does it well.

The problem is most people live in the moment, he is one of them. How many people jumped on Derek Carr's, Dak Prescott's, and Kirk Cousins bandwagon after last season. They had 1 Very Good to Great season, Luck had 3 of those. Alex Smith was considered MVP material through Week 5 and I called that saying he will start sucking and he has. Doyle is just jumping on us while he can because we don't have Luck. We have lost so many games in the 4th Qtr BARELY and we don't have our best player, so yeah pile on I guess. What is Carr, Dak, Cousins, and Smith's excuse for losing?

2 minutes ago, Nadine said:

@Hoose Excellent insight.  Doyel exists to get clicks. I don't think he represents anyone but himself

Disagree with this completely. Most people on here would be writing articles similar to Doyle if they had his platform. Also, by that logic, all writers exist to get clicks, some do it by talking positively and some negatively. At least Doyle is telling the truth though with his negativity because of our record and how we are playing and coaching. Someone that writes and puts a positive spin on the season is lying and manipulating the facts right now to try and sound positive. I at least appreciate the honesty and passion from Doyle rather than a corporate puppet paid to try and point out the few positives to make everyone seem like it's ok. 

20 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very well said. Agree 100%. Doyle is a realist, which is what we need in the media. Tell it like it is.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The problem is most people live in the moment, he is one of them. How many people jumped on Derek Carr's, Dak Prescott's, and Kirk Cousins bandwagon after last season. They had 1 Very Good to Great season, Luck had 3 of those. Alex Smith was considered MVP material through Week 5 and I called that saying he will start sucking and he has. Doyle is just jumping on us while he can because we don't have Luck. We have lost so many games in the 4th Qtr BARELY and we don't have our best player, so yeah pile on I guess. What is Carr, Dak, Cousins, and Smith's excuse for losing?

Doyle does live in the moment, but you also can't predict the future. He is just reporting what is happening currently. I don't know how you expect him to know Carr, Prescott and Cousins would of fell off (Cousins is still pretty decent). The pressure would still be there with no O-Line without Luck, and even if Luck was playing, he isn't anywhere near 100%. So you would either be assuming we could win with him in his current condition, or that he is 100% in your scenario, which we can't just magically heal him. Either way, it's only hypothetical Luck would be playing until next year now. Yes, we've been close to winning some games, and the defense has been good, but Brissett has been pretty bad, and Luck wouldn't be better in his current condition, which is the only condition he could realistically be in right now. 

I do agree Doyle lives in the moment, but like I said, he represents the everyman and judges the team in the now, mainly because it's impossible to judge them in the future. I'd rather him judge us and the NFL off current stats than predict the future and look really stupid.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bottomline is, we don't have Luck so it is what it is. How about them Packers without Rodgers?

Well, Hundley is probably slightly better than Brissett, we are about even. However, they are getting Rodgers back before the season ends, and even if they don't make the playoffs, at least they will have Rodgers back at 100% next year. We don't know that with Luck yet, and the O-Line is a HUGE problem.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, Hundley is probably slightly better than Brissett, we are about even. However, they are getting Rodgers back before the season ends, and even if they don't make the playoffs, at least they will have Rodgers back at 100% next year. We don't know that with Luck yet, and the O-Line is a HUGE problem.

I am not even sure why GB would bring back Rodgers, they are out of it. Luck has a whole year to recover, he will be fine IMO but my opinion is positive unlike most of the media that report stuff that love piling on us lmao. I just cant wait until next season when Luck blows the doors off of everyone with a new Coach and a better D.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bottomline is, we don't have Luck so it is what it is. How about them Packers without Rodgers?

The Jaguars are winning games with a QB that probably isn’t even as talented as Jacoby Brissett, let alone Rodgers. Can’t always use not having the franchise QB as an excuse.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not even sure why GB would bring back Rodgers, they are out of it. Luck has a whole year to recover, he will be fine IMO but my opinion is positive unlike most of the media that report stuff that love piling on us lmao. I just cant wait until next season when Luck blows the doors off of everyone with a new Coach and a better D.

I just don't like to hear a positive spin when the season is going as bad as ours is. Yes, a lot of it is because Luck is out, and if he is 100% we will be much better. Just don't tell me the positives when this team is absolute garbage. On this forum it's ok, because we are trying to keep a positive vibe to a degree, but a professional journalist (especially a Colts one) needs to be 100% honest, critique this team fairly without bias, and not try to manipulate how the season is going just because they work for the Colts. This season isn't going well, I don't want to hear manipulated facts on how we are middle of the pack in something. Just be honest, and you'll have my respect. It's not any of our faults, and it's not the writers faults. Just do your job and some honest critiquing and I'll read the article. That's why I like Doyle, he'll tell it how it is and won't hold back on this team's current stupidity.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Jaguars are winning games with a QB that probably isn’t even as talented as Jacoby Brissett, let alone Rodgers. Can’t always use not having the franchise QB as an excuse.

This is the first year the Jags are winning though and they are taking advantage of a Division that doesn't have Luck and Watson now. They also have a Very Good Defense in a Division that has suspect play at QB by other teams.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I just don't like to hear a positive spin when the season is going as bad as ours is. Yes, a lot of it is because Luck is out, and if he is 100% we will be much better. Just don't tell me the positives when this team is absolute garbage. On this forum it's ok, because we are trying to keep a positive vibe to a degree, but a professional journalist (especially a Colts one) needs to be 100% honest, critique this team fairly without bias, and not try to manipulate how the season is going just because they work for the Colts. This season isn't going well, I don't want to hear manipulated facts on how we are middle of the pack in something. Just be honest, and you'll have my respect. It's not any of our faults, and it's not the writers faults. Just do your job and some honest critiquing and I'll read the article. That's why I like Doyle, he'll tell it how it is and won't hold back on this team's current stupidity.

I prefer to look for the positives in situations since I like to have a happy life but that is me

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We deserve to be piled on. There's no participation trophy in football. If I played in a huge pokemon tourney and had a losing record, no one would tell me I'm doing a great job. In fact, they'd probably criticize me a bit because they have higher expectations of me than other people. Even more so for the world class players. There would probably be articles about them how they bombed a tourney and if it was a national tourney, got embarrassed on the biggest stage of their lives. These are people who are in the 15-25 year old range as well. You lose, you get critiqued for it. That happens when you are a world class player or a highly respected individual. You also get the praise when you do well, and both come with the territory.

This is the first year the Jags are winning though and they are taking advantage of a Division that doesn't have Luck and Watson now. They also have a Very Good Defense in a Division that has suspect play at QB by other teams.

They also have FO personnel who have built a complete team 

The Colts haven’t accomplished that since the early Polian Days

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

We deserve to be piled on. There's no participation trophy in football. If I played in a huge pokemon tourney and had a losing record, no one would tell me I'm doing a great job. In fact, they'd probably criticize me a bit because they have higher expectations of me than other people. Even more so for the world class players. There would probably be articles about them how they bombed a tourney and if it was a national tourney, got embarrassed on the biggest stage of their lives. These are people who are in the 15-25 year old range as well. You lose, you get critiqued for it. That happens when you are a world class player or a highly respected individual. You also get the praise when you do well, and both come with the territory.

I agree that there is no participation Trophy unless it was 2014 where the other team cheated. Also we have many leads in the 4th Qtr this season, had Luck played I think we would've won most of those, JMO

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Jags were competitive with us even when we had Luck, so that situation is 50/50 at best. Watson they may or may not be able to stop, we don't know. Their defense is much better though, and they have Fournette, so that team is better and probably better than ours even with Luck (though it's close). The Jags are what the Texans were with Foster in his prime, and the Texans now have a QB. We'll see if we can compete with Luck back next year. That's when it gets interesting. We need a great draft and FA.

31 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Disagree with this completely. Most people on here would be writing articles similar to Doyle if they had his platform. Also, by that logic, all writers exist to get clicks, some do it by talking positively and some negatively. At least Doyle is telling the truth though with his negativity because of our record and how we are playing and coaching. Someone that writes and puts a positive spin on the season is lying and manipulating the facts right now to try and sound positive. I at least appreciate the honesty and passion from Doyle rather than a corporate puppet paid to try and point out the few positives to make everyone seem like it's ok. 

Doyel's writing and articles are worse than any team fielded by the Colts, or any terrible coach in the history of the organization. I imagine the first drafts of his articles are written in crayon.

The Jags were competitive with us even when we had Luck, so that situation is 50/50 at best. Watson they may or may not be able to stop, we don't know. Their defense is much better though, and they have Fournette, so that team is better and probably better than ours even with Luck (though it's close). The Jags are what the Texans were with Foster in his prime, and the Texans now have a QB. We'll see if we can compete with Luck back next year. That's when it gets interesting. We need a great draft and FA.

As of now the Titans are the favorites to win the Division, they already have a win at Jacks. Both are 7-4

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree that there is no participation Trophy unless it was 2014 where the other team cheated. Also we have many leads in the 4th Qtr this season, had Luck played I think we would've won most of those, JMO

That's the hope, that Luck finishes off the games next year that Brissett can't. That's what keeps me a fan still, the anticipation of Luck back next year along with a new coaching staff and possible top 5 pick. If we are going to make an effort to build a team around Luck, we have to do it this year and do it right. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Critiques happen at every level of sport 

As of now the Titans are the favorites to win the Division, they already have a win at Jacks. Both are 7-4

Yep, the Titans are a decent team right now. I think some of it is because Luck and Watson are out (like Jax), but they are very much improved as is the whole division. Next year, when Luck and Watson are healthy, this could be the toughest division in the AFC.

3 minutes ago, corgi said:

Doyel's writing and articles are worse than any team fielded by the Colts, or any terrible coach in the history of the organization. I imagine the first drafts of his articles are written in crayon.

When you resort to petty insults, I tend not to take you seriously and stick to my opinion even more. 

Yep, the Titans are a decent team right now. I think some of it is because Luck and Watson are out (like Jax), but they are very much improved as is the whole division. Next year, when Luck and Watson are healthy, this could be the toughest division in the AFC.

Man I hope Luck and Watson are healthy, our Division will be unreal!

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's the hope, that Luck finishes off the games next year that Brissett can't. That's what keeps me a fan still, the anticipation of Luck back next year along with a new coaching staff and possible top 5 pick. If we are going to make an effort to build a team around Luck, we have to do it this year and do it right. 

There is the difference because a lot of us like @2006Coltsbestever and me are native Hoosiers and have rooted for the Colts since 1984 no matter who is playing

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Critiques happen at every level of sport 

Absolutely, but if my 9 year old cousin played pokemon and lost a tourney, he'd get treated with a lot more sympathy because of his age and lack of expectations rather than a world class player who represents a state or city. That's why the Colts get piled on at a high level. They are expected to play way above this level. Even though Luck is out, we have drafted horribly and allowed Luck to get seriously hurt. That alone deserves criticism.

Absolutely, but if my 9 year old cousin played pokemon and lost a tourney, he'd get treated with a lot more sympathy because of his age and lack of expectations rather than a world class player who represents a state or city. That's why the Colts get piled on at a high level. They are expected to play way above this level. Even though Luck is out, we have drafted horribly and allowed Luck to get seriously hurt. That alone deserves criticism.

You are not from a small town and/or associated with Youth or HS sports 

There is the difference because a lot of us like @2006Coltsbestever and me are native Hoosiers and have rooted for the Colts since 1984 no matter who is playing

I will always be a fan, have since 1984 like you said. I have seen some unreal insanely bad Football from 1984-1986 and in the early 90's too lmao 

when you read his article, you are thinking wow, that's brash, harsh, etc..... but as it starts to sink in, he is expressing things that many of us say to the tv screen when watching the colts game....  he just has the cojones to do that post-game in the media, and in this last case, straight to a player as advanced warning as to where he was going in his article.  now, having said that, i certainly don't agree with all of his stances, writings, and interviews.  That article was posted last night about 7pm or so, which is when I read it.  I've had a chance to digest it and agree that some of the players (and Doyel made it clear he was only singling out a handful not the whole team) are playing for themselves... but in defense of those few, this team is a traveling dumpster fire...from owner, down to coaches, and guess what,,, it seeps down into the players.  They get it that they suck, but doyel prints it not only in black and white, but in real-time vivid color. Is he over the top at times, yes , but might be the only one not afraid to call this organization out, other than Dakich.

His article was so spot on with the look at me first horrible attitudes of players in the league in general. Let me do a dance and make a gesture of a 3 yard pass. This garbage did not occur during your dad's NFL of the 60's and 70's. A Butkus, Mike Curtis and tough coach would have them out the league so fast. or given then a well deserved attitude adjustment.

Oh I would still be a fan, but I would lose a lot of interest if they screwed this up again. The goal should be clear by now to Ballard (to fix the O-Line and hire a competent coaching staff). If we fail at that, I'll probably lose a lot of interest. Fantasy Football makes me feel involved, and it's been a lot more fun than watching the Colts since I've done daily fantasy. Fantasy sports may be the greatest invention in sports history or the worst, depending on who you ask. Some changes have to happen though.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Oh coming in 2nd sucks in any tournament or sports activity. I used to be a Great Chess player (I say used too because I haven't competited in years) but if I would lose to anyone I would feel like a garbage player. That really isn't true in reality though. Every player I ever lost too were Good to Great and had high IQ's.