Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 will be a very telling season for Ballard

CR91

54 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I will say I hope Basham improves but I will not hold my breath on him.  The draft is about getting players in that hopefully make an impact day 1.  Rounds 1-4 for the most part should help quickly.  So far in this draft you have 1 guy making a limited impact in Mack.  Hooker was looking good until the injury but he is not helping right now.  You have two many guys as "hopeful" for next year, which is why I would say the draft is looking average to below average really.  This is just me being unbiased altogether.

As a fan I hope anyone wearing the horseshoe does well.  Coaches, Management, Players...everybody.  The second part of what you said I agree with completely.  Add Luck in and you have a huge difference.  Finally look to improve the O-line and again a huge difference.  The D has looked good at times and improving the ILB's will be night and day to helping.  We still need a true pass rusher to get pressure routinely on a QB.  Too many times the QB can almost sit in cement against us.  Not moving his feet and just make it look easy, with all the time they have.  We have more areas to fix than 1 off-season can address.  Make the o-line and ILB a priority and Luck well fill in the rest for next year.  Then 2019 allows for a larger focus on some other key areas.

Yeah. I think if Hooker would have not had the freak injury he would have been able to contribute...I totally understand. We would like those early rounders to compete right away so that is disappointing but if you can come out of a draft 3 or 4 quality players I still call that a win...no matter what rounds they come. Mixed is my review....but if these guys are all off the team in the next 3 years like we often saw with Grigson...then yeah it will be not as good.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah. I think if Hooker would have not had the freak injury he would have been able to contribute...I totally understand. We would like those early rounders to compete right away so that is disappointing but if you can come out of a draft 3 or 4 quality players I still call that a win...no matter what rounds they come. Mixed is my review....but if these guys are all off the team in the next 3 years like we often saw with Grigson...then yeah it will be not as good.

Walker, possibly Basham, and Grover Stewart could be gone next year with more roster turnover.  Add to that a 2nd rounder possibly having other guys playing over him and just there for depth.  Man I hope it gets better!

I am a fan of Ballard but I am just not a fan of anointing anyone off of one draft.  I was not a fan of Grigson after year one.  The difference between the two in my eyes, Ballard hit well with Free Agency, Grigson very rarely did.  Ballard hit well with the last second grab of Brissett.

This coming off-season to me is huge for Ballard.  You have a potential top 5 pick, so you have the ability to grab 4 or 5 guys that should be contributing day 1.  A lot of money for FA to again help patch some holes.  And for the love of god please address the o-line...like fix it, not just a random FA pick up like Schwenke.

14 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Walker, possibly Basham, and Grover Stewart could be gone next year with more roster turnover.  Add to that a 2nd rounder possibly having other guys playing over him and just there for depth.  Man I hope it gets better!

I am a fan of Ballard but I am just not a fan of anointing anyone off of one draft.  I was not a fan of Grigson after year one.  The difference between the two in my eyes, Ballard hit well with Free Agency, Grigson very rarely did.  Ballard hit well with the last second grab of Brissett.

This coming off-season to me is huge for Ballard.  You have a potential top 5 pick, so you have the ability to grab 4 or 5 guys that should be contributing day 1.  A lot of money for FA to again help patch some holes.  And for the love of god please address the o-line...like fix it, not just a random FA pick up like Schwenke.

Agree 100%. So far so good with the FAs....and yes fix the OL!

On 11/25/2017 at 8:08 PM, CR91 said:

2017 has been a tough season, however 2018 can be a very good season depending what ballard does in his first full off-season as GM. Decisions linger with the inner situations of the team starting with of course what happens with andrew's shoulder and rather or not this injury will compel us to either continue with brissett or draft a QB in one of the most talented QB classes in recent memory. There is also the decisions with mewhort and moncrief and while they are both talented, one has landed on IR for the last three seasons now and the other fails to establish himself as the WR 1 his talent exudes. The outer decisions are of course upgrading the oline. If andrew does return, we can't allow him to sustain the same punishment or else that career-threatening injury will become career-ending. imo, improving the oline will be the key clog in placing us back to the success we have had in past history of this team. We have a potential star in mack once he becomes our workhorse next year, however we do need to find another weapon outside hilton especially if the team will move on from moncrief as I feel we can do better then rogers. The defense is playing better and with the return of hooker pairing with geathers along with melvin, desir, and hairston playing at a high level with developing wilson as well, our secondary can be a strong strength. Our front seven has plenty of talent with hankins and woods playing well and anderson before he was hurt. sheards and simon have both played well with morrison developing nicely. We do need better talent at inside LBer though. Ballard is also going to have his full staff of talent evaluators and a full draft of top 5 picks to determine how the 2018 season will go.

Apologies I'm very late to this thread......    meant to join it on the day it started....    sorry,  life got in the way....

And while I appreciate the effort here,   there are a number of ideas that I respectfully disagree with.

One,   that 2018 is Ballard's first full off-season.     No, 2017 was his first full off-season.   He was hired in January, about 3 weeks or so after the season ended.     He had a full off-season including free agency and the draft.

Now......    if you want to say it'll be his first full off-season with his staff,  his scouts,  etc,  then fine.   That's different.   But it's not his first full off-season.     This will be his second.

Second,  the most important thing to happen this off-season will be finding out if Luck will be healthy or not.   Every other decision revolves around Luck.      If he's healthy and can play,  then we can build around him.    But if not,  we have to decide if Brissett is the guy,  or if we have to draft someone high in the first round?      Those are HUGE decisions.  

Third,   we have to fix the o-line ONCE AND FOR ALL.   This will be Year Seven for Luck,  and even if he's not playing it's Year 7 in our attempt to finally build a solid O-line to protect whoever we start at quarterback.   After Luck, the O-line is Job One.

Fourth....    I don't know why anyone would think Mack is our future work horse?     He has shown nothing to suggest that he can be that guy.    That's why he was drafted at the end of the 4th round.     He's a situational, change of pace, complimentary back.     He doesn't know how to run between the tackles, or to pass block.     Right now, he's easy to defend.   

Fifth.....      we need more receiver weapons for our quarterback.

Sixth.....      we need more play makers on defense.   Many more.   Our cornerback group looks pretty decent.   But otherwise, we need more impact players everywhere else.     And while our front-7 gets generally good marks,   we can't put pressure on the opposing QB's to save our lives.    So more pass rush is Job One on that side of the ball.

Seventh....    we need ILB's and Safeties, but we especially need guys to control the line of scrimmage,  stop the run and pressure the QB....

Eighth.....        (and ths could be first....)     We need a much strong coaching staff.   If and when our roster is good as most other rosters (and we're not there yet....)   our staff needs to be at least as good, if not better than the other side.    A good staff can and should make a difference in close games,   and most NFL games are one possession games....   decided by 7 points or less.     There are a few assistants to be kept on our staff (Special Teams for one) but the new HC is going to bring in his own staff.     That will be interesting to watch.

Sorry this went on so long.......     I appreciate CR91 getting this "thought train" started on the right track....    this might be the most interesting off-season in the Post-Peyton Manning era........

I think Ballard has a great eye for talent. He did pretty well in the draft, and did great in FA. I think the Colts really scored a gem with him and I feel he is the key to fix all the problems the Colts have had the 4 years before he arrived.

This year I think Ballard also learned more than enough from the coaching staff of who he wants to keep (if anyone) personnel wise. BTW, I hope we keep Schotty as QB coach. 

2017 = Per Jim Irsay, the year of organizational evaluation from top to bottom.

2018 = The year of change - new coaching regime c/w more FAs & Ballard draft picks.

2019 = The first actual year of reckoning where real Ballard results ought to significantly emerge.

2020 = Potential hot seat if real positive progression is not evident.

2021 = Decision time, either contract extension or the boot.

It’s not a hard job Ballard has. The pressure is really on for him to fix 3 things

1. The O-Line: This cost Grigson his job more than anything else. Couldn’t field one decent line, and most of the guys he drafted are out of the league. Fixing the line is top priority for Ballard 

2. Defense- Grigson never built the monster he said he would. He didn’t acquire any defensive game changers. Just a bunch of mediocre-below average players who were capable of over performing every now and then.

3. Run game- it’s easier said than done but he needs to fix the run game. Whether it’s getting a franchise back, or better line talent he has to get the ground game going. 

Honestly, without a good coach, how will you know how good the GM is?

Ask the Rams.  They did rebuff the roster this year, but were they as bad as their roster the last few years?  Did the GM not get them talent?

Ask the Bills.  I mean half their offense went to the Rams and looks unstoppable.  They've traded away great player after great player and are still in the playoff race with a QB they don't even want.  How many coaches could get that much out of a team full of no names?

Ask the Bucs.  A team full of "names."  Got rid of their coach who had the team on the right path for the OC.  Team is poo poo with a bunch of pro bowl caliber players at almost every unit on the field.

23 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Ask the Rams.  They did rebuff the roster this year, but were they as bad as their roster the last few years?  Did the GM not get them talent?

Ask the Bills.  I mean half their offense went to the Rams and looks unstoppable.  They've traded away great player after great player and are still in the playoff race with a QB they don't even want.  How many coaches could get that much out of a team full of no names?

Ask the Bucs.  A team full of "names."  Got rid of their coach who had the team on the right path for the OC.  Team is poo poo with a bunch of pro bowl caliber players at almost every unit on the field.

At this time I don’t trust Ballard. 

He failed the team at QB. Should have had a capable QB learn the offense during  OTA’s

I think that they knew Luck may miss the year, and if so, saw it as an opportunity to luck into a good draft position...and also to evaluate the players currently on the team.

I also believe them knowing Luck would likely AT LEAST miss significant time, is why they kept Pagano and staff. Why install a completely new system when your star QB wont have any opportunity to learn/practice it? I think this is also the reason that Gruden etc took a pass last year but still have interest in the job...they wanted to make sure Luck comes back healthy and didnt want this "down" season on their resume'.

Not trying to sound like a conspiracy guy, but we went through the exact same dog n pony show the year that Peyton missed the whole season.  Irsay saying all the right things to sell tickets...he even went so far as to say that Peyton would be back with the team the next year, even if we drafted Luck...and we all know how that played out.  Yes, it was a good business decision...and was best for all involved. Allowed Luck to play, Colts to save money and Peyton to win another ring.

With all that said, i do think Ballard is the guy who will do a great job...and i look forward to next year!  Will be an eventful off season, for sure... new coaches, healthy Luck and lots of $ in FA...along with a strong draft position.

Everyone who says Gruden hasnt proven anything and has been gone too long... I disagree. He has a great football mind and makes ordinary QBs look good...and has won a Super Bowl with a bad QB and if not for the tuck rule, wouldve went with the Raiders, too...he made their aging QB look like an all pro.   Let Ballard pick the players and let Gruden coach the team...and let Peyton run the show...and i think we would see a huge difference!

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 12:16 AM, NorthernBlue said:

Oh yeah the pressure will be on for Ballard next year as the team starts becoming more of his creation, rather than Grigson's.

He pretty much had a free pass this year regarding the teams performance, but next year, people will be expecting a lot more.

I have this theory in sports where it takes a rebuilding team (which is what we are) at least 2-3 years (depending on how good your QB is) to establish itself as a contender. However since we already got an established star at QB, people will have a playoffs or bust expectation next year, especially if Chuck is fired.

While I agree he's going to have some pressure on him this offseason to perform its going to take more than 2 off seasons to repair the damage that Grigson and Chuckles have done to this team.  This team is soft and that's largely because Chuck wants to be like and won't put his foot up someones butt for making a bad play or showing off on the field everytime you catch a first down.  Our Oline needs to be overhauled, our WRs need to be overhauled (yes I include Hilton in this), and our ILB need to be overhauled.  Before someone blasts me on Hilton and how he led the league in receiving last year, look at his stats.  He averages only 5 100 yard games a year and only about 9 above 75 yards a game and as yet to catch more than 9 tds.  Maybe that's a product of those around him but, in my opinion he's not a number one.

The overhaul starts with the coaching staff though.  We need to get rid of everyone but, Brian S. and maybe the DC.  I'm warming up to him the past couple of weeks as the defense starts to play better. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:43 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Ballard will do a very good job in the draft, add a few more solid pieces in FA, bring in a new coaching staff, and we are still likely to finish last in our Division in 2018.

But headed in the right direction.

Explain to me how we would finish last in the division?? Watson is ok but just chucks the ball up and prays it gets caught and teams will have film on him to prepare.  Mariota is one of the most overrated quarterbacks I've ever seen... The dude has the second best Oline in football, good WR, good TE, and an Amazing running game and still has more INTs than TDs.

Jacksonville, may have a shot to win the division but, they also can't keep everyone currently or afford to pay Eli if they want to go after him.  They currently have negative cap space to start the offseason.

33 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Explain to me how we would finish last in the division?? Watson is ok but just chucks the ball up and prays it gets caught and teams will have film on him to prepare.  Mariota is one of the most overrated quarterbacks I've ever seen... The dude has the second best Oline in football, good WR, good TE, and an Amazing running game and still has more INTs than TDs.

Jacksonville, may have a shot to win the division but, they also can't keep everyone currently or afford to pay Eli if they want to go after him.  They currently have negative cap space to start the offseason.

Eli, now that is funny. And IMO, as off target as your personnel evaluations. And Jax can easily fix their Cap.

Those Teams will be predicted to finish .500 or better.

New Coaches, schemes, lots more young players, new young starters.

This adds up to the probability we struggle for 8-8. It really is that simple.

2 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Until we know and get our QB situation straightened out then we are the favorite to finish last in the AFC South.   Weak roster and uncertain quarterback future equals likely last place in the division.    

Now, this could all change by next May.    Luck gets healthy and is his old self...   Ballard has a good free agency period and good draft and perhaps we're a better team?    Maybe.

But until then our future is...  uncertain... 

6 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

He failed the team at QB. Should have had a capable QB learn the offense during  OTA’s

Ballard went out and got you the best (not counting Kaepernick) QB that was available.  Name two (Minnesota is definitely one) other teams in the league this season that have played it's backup and they have been even capable?  I'll wait.  Here's a list in case you forgot who's played a backup this season.

CHI

TB

MIN

OAK

GB

ARI

HOU

TEN

BUF

BAL

CLE

DEN

NYG (TBD)

8 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

Seriously?  

Luck was not guaranteed out and Tolzein would have been a brief stop gap.  Things did not go t o plan so he made a great last second trade for a capable QB.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:53 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's only had 59 carries. We haven't used him enough so far. He does average 3.7 a carry which isn't too bad, nothing Great but for a Rook 3.7 doesn't stink. Joe Mixon has had 129 carries and has averaged 2.9 a carry by comparison.

I know it's early but speaking of Joe Mixon several people like my boy CF 12 talked about how much better he was than my man Samaje Perine, but the numbers right now shows Perine is having the better year and doing it on fewer carries.

Joe Mixon         150     484  3.2ypc

Samaje Perine 113     427  3.8ypc

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I know it's early but speaking of Joe Mixon several people like my boy CF 12 talked about how much better he was than my man Samaje Perine, but the numbers right now shows Perine is having the better year and doing it on fewer carries.

Joe Mixon         150     484  3.2ypc

Samaje Perine 113     427  3.8ypc

You're right it's early 

17 hours ago, tikyle said:

Ballard went out and got you the best (not counting Kaepernick) QB that was available.  Name two (Minnesota is definitely one) other teams in the league this season that have played it's backup and they have been even capable?  I'll wait.  Here's a list in case you forgot who's played a backup this season.

CHI

TB

MIN

OAK

GB

ARI

HOU

TEN

BUF

BAL

CLE

DEN

NYG (TBD)

Fine with the who. Not fine with the when. It’s the GM’s job to hope for the best and plan for the worst. The starting QB for the Colts was not put in a position to succeed this year. All fairness to Jacoby, he is doing about the best to be expected based on when he arrived.

Sorry, but even now there is zero guarantees Andrew Luck ever comes back. There is hope. But are we prepared if he cannot?

48 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Fine with the who. Not fine with the when. It’s the GM’s job to hope for the best and plan for the worst. The starting QB for the Colts was not put in a position to succeed this year. All fairness to Jacoby, he is doing about the best to be expected based on when he arrived.

Sorry, but even now there is zero guarantees Andrew Luck ever comes back. There is hope. But are we prepared if he cannot?

Touche'.  I cannot disagree with this point.  The only thing I can say is, maybe that was the only chance to get a viable backup.  Remember Billy B wasn't ready to trade for Dorsett until Edelman went down.  Same way he wasn't ready to trade Jimmy Graps until he saw how well Brady played for half a season at 40.  Ballard jumped on the chance, even though he didn't have anything worth a damn in place until that opportunity came up.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:08 PM, CR91 said:

2017 has been a tough season, however 2018 can be a very good season depending what ballard does in his first full off-season as GM. Decisions linger with the inner situations of the team starting with of course what happens with andrew's shoulder and rather or not this injury will compel us to either continue with brissett or draft a QB in one of the most talented QB classes in recent memory. There is also the decisions with mewhort and moncrief and while they are both talented, one has landed on IR for the last three seasons now and the other fails to establish himself as the WR 1 his talent exudes. The outer decisions are of course upgrading the oline. If andrew does return, we can't allow him to sustain the same punishment or else that career-threatening injury will become career-ending. imo, improving the oline will be the key clog in placing us back to the success we have had in past history of this team. We have a potential star in mack once he becomes our workhorse next year, however we do need to find another weapon outside hilton especially if the team will move on from moncrief as I feel we can do better then rogers. The defense is playing better and with the return of hooker pairing with geathers along with melvin, desir, and hairston playing at a high level with developing wilson as well, our secondary can be a strong strength. Our front seven has plenty of talent with hankins and woods playing well and anderson before he was hurt. sheards and simon have both played well with morrison developing nicely. We do need better talent at inside LBer though. Ballard is also going to have his full staff of talent evaluators and a full draft of top 5 picks to determine how the 2018 season will go.

Great post!! I agree and this going to a very interesting offseason that is for sure maybe the most interesting in recent memory. 

On 11/29/2017 at 5:02 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Apologies I'm very late to this thread......    meant to join it on the day it started....    sorry,  life got in the way....

And while I appreciate the effort here,   there are a number of ideas that I respectfully disagree with.

One,   that 2018 is Ballard's first full off-season.     No, 2017 was his first full off-season.   He was hired in January, about 3 weeks or so after the season ended.     He had a full off-season including free agency and the draft.

Now......    if you want to say it'll be his first full off-season with his staff,  his scouts,  etc,  then fine.   That's different.   But it's not his first full off-season.     This will be his second.

Second,  the most important thing to happen this off-season will be finding out if Luck will be healthy or not.   Every other decision revolves around Luck.      If he's healthy and can play,  then we can build around him.    But if not,  we have to decide if Brissett is the guy,  or if we have to draft someone high in the first round?      Those are HUGE decisions.  

Third,   we have to fix the o-line ONCE AND FOR ALL.   This will be Year Seven for Luck,  and even if he's not playing it's Year 7 in our attempt to finally build a solid O-line to protect whoever we start at quarterback.   After Luck, the O-line is Job One.

Fourth....    I don't know why anyone would think Mack is our future work horse?     He has shown nothing to suggest that he can be that guy.    That's why he was drafted at the end of the 4th round.     He's a situational, change of pace, complimentary back.     He doesn't know how to run between the tackles, or to pass block.     Right now, he's easy to defend.   

Sixth.....      we need more play makers on defense.   Many more.   Our cornerback group looks pretty decent.   But otherwise, we need more impact players everywhere else.     And while our front-7 gets generally good marks,   we can't put pressure on the opposing QB's to save our lives.    So more pass rush is Job One on that side of the ball.

Seventh....    we need ILB's and Safeties, but we especially need guys to control the line of scrimmage,  stop the run and pressure the QB....

Eighth.....        (and ths could be first....)     We need a much strong coaching staff.   If and when our roster is good as most other rosters (and we're not there yet....)   our staff needs to be at least as good, if not better than the other side.    A good staff can and should make a difference in close games,   and most NFL games are one possession games....   decided by 7 points or less.     There are a few assistants to be kept on our staff (Special Teams for one) but the new HC is going to bring in his own staff.     That will be interesting to watch.

Sorry this went on so long.......     I appreciate CR91 getting this "thought train" started on the right track....    this might be the most interesting off-season in the Post-Peyton Manning era........

I respectfully disagree on Mack as I don't think he's an every-down back. I do think he has been used wrong in many situations and a good coaching staff will figure that out. If you noticed every time he comes in they run him up the middle and everybody in the stadium knows what we're going to do. So that's the reason he gets tackled behind the line. He gets hit behind the line about as soon as he's handed the ball because they know what we're going to do. As far as pass blocking he will learn that. But he does need a complimentary back to give him rest. 

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, IndySouthsider said:

Nonsense. Poppycock. Horse dung.

Ballard was under the impression that Luck would be back early in the season. There was no decent available back up QBs. He traded for Brissett for the future and that is exactly what he said. He took a gamble on Brissett while he was still in his rookie contract. Cheap but well worth the gamble and in the meantime got rid of Dorsett. I was wrong about Dorsett as I thought he would be better.

I know it is too early to judge Ballard but under the circumstances he has not failed this team. Going there IMO is short sighted of you.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nonsense. Poppycock. Horse dung.

Ballard was under the impression that Luck would be back early in the season. There was no decent available back up QBs. He traded for Brissett for the future and that is exactly what he said. He took a gamble on Brissett while he was still in his rookie contract. Cheap but well worth the gamble and in the meantime got rid of Dorsett. I was wrong about Dorsett as I thought he would be better.

I know it is too early to judge Ballard but under the circumstances he has not failed this team. Going there IMO is short sighted of you.

The GM’s job to be prepared. Sorry no excuses. Polian lost his job for not having a backup for Manning.

Not saying he won’t be a good GM. But it’s a red flag. 

21 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

The GM’s job to be prepared. Sorry no excuses. Polian lost his job for not having a backup for Manning.

Not saying he won’t be a good GM. But it’s a red flag. 

Wrong. Polian lost his job because his drafting started sucking and he was trying to incorporate his son into the mix. He also over paid for a lot of players. Thus the 39 million in dead cap money when he was fired.

On 11/29/2017 at 2:02 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Well it would be with his own staff. That is what I meant. Mack has shown flashes and I do expect him to get the majority of the workload since gore is a FA and I highly doubt we'll resign him. We do need more pass rush, but I want to see him more of basham. We can't expect him to be a star pass rusher right off the bat. ILB we do more talent, but lets see how hooker and geathers play together before we look for more safeties. Ive mentioned before Im really pushing to get josh mcdaniels. I think him and luck would make for a very talented offense. Well I can't speak for everyone. but i've been too busy with moving and my new job to keep busy in the forum. Has nothing to do with how the season has gone. I've missed the forum, but avoiding the trolls is a bonus haha 

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well it would be with his own staff. That is what I meant. Mack has shown flashes and I do expect him to get the majority of the workload since gore is a FA and I highly doubt we'll resign him. We do need more pass rush, but I want to see him more of basham. We can't expect him to be a star pass rusher right off the bat. ILB we do more talent, but lets see how hooker and geathers play together before we look for more safeties. Ive mentioned before Im really pushing to get josh mcdaniels. I think him and luck would make for a very talented offense. Well I can't speak for everyone. but i've been too busy with moving and my new job to keep busy in the forum. Has nothing to do with how the season has gone. I've missed the forum, but avoiding the trolls is a bonus haha 

Congrats on the new job and new place to live!    That's big news in your world....

hopefully it leads ads to a great 2018 for everyone!  :thmup:

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Congrats on the new job and new place to live!    That's big news in your world....

hopefully it leads ads to a great 2018 for everyone!  :thmup:

I appreciate that. Thank you :thmup: 

On 11/29/2017 at 9:07 AM, tikyle said:

Exactly.  For all we know, we may have some players who would have been good except for the lousy coaching.