Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 will be a very telling season for Ballard

CR91

2017 has been a tough season, however 2018 can be a very good season depending what ballard does in his first full off-season as GM. Decisions linger with the inner situations of the team starting with of course what happens with andrew's shoulder and rather or not this injury will compel us to either continue with brissett or draft a QB in one of the most talented QB classes in recent memory. There is also the decisions with mewhort and moncrief and while they are both talented, one has landed on IR for the last three seasons now and the other fails to establish himself as the WR 1 his talent exudes. The outer decisions are of course upgrading the oline. If andrew does return, we can't allow him to sustain the same punishment or else that career-threatening injury will become career-ending. imo, improving the oline will be the key clog in placing us back to the success we have had in past history of this team. We have a potential star in mack once he becomes our workhorse next year, however we do need to find another weapon outside hilton especially if the team will move on from moncrief as I feel we can do better then rogers. The defense is playing better and with the return of hooker pairing with geathers along with melvin, desir, and hairston playing at a high level with developing wilson as well, our secondary can be a strong strength. Our front seven has plenty of talent with hankins and woods playing well and anderson before he was hurt. sheards and simon have both played well with morrison developing nicely. We do need better talent at inside LBer though. Ballard is also going to have his full staff of talent evaluators and a full draft of top 5 picks to determine how the 2018 season will go.

It seems quite obvious, really.

primary focus on building and developing OL.

improve talent and depth at LB.

I cant figure out why everyone seems to discount Rogers.  He doesnt get many snaps, but when he does, he makes plays.  Especially 1st downs.  And he's not a diva like a couple other of our WRs.

also, i'm not sold on Mack as the "workhorse".  I like what h le brings, but i dont see him lasting 16 games if he is over-used.

the Luck issue will work its lf out.  Jacoby should show us if he is "starter quality" by the end of the eeason.  If we feel he is, we wait and see on Luck, if not, maybe we use a 3rd or so on another.  Hopefully we will know more on Luck but draft time.  If he looks good to go, brissett is at least an adequate back-up.

we will have money to spend.  Ballard just needs to figure out where to draft and where to "import" from other teams:

with all the young guys and our injured coming back,  this team will look significantly different next year regardless of draft and free agents.  I'm excited.  Ballard had FAR more hits than misses this year.

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Will it?

Will it really?...

That's how you know the colts are god awful. People are literally picking random topics out of a hat to post about. 

unfortunately there are enough threads about the colts being god awful

Oh yeah the pressure will be on for Ballard next year as the team starts becoming more of his creation, rather than Grigson's.

He pretty much had a free pass this year regarding the teams performance, but next year, people will be expecting a lot more.

I have this theory in sports where it takes a rebuilding team (which is what we are) at least 2-3 years (depending on how good your QB is) to establish itself as a contender. However since we already got an established star at QB, people will have a playoffs or bust expectation next year, especially if Chuck is fired.

52 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

It seems quite obvious, really.

primary focus on building and developing OL.

improve talent and depth at LB.

I cant figure out why everyone seems to discount Rogers.  He doesnt get many snaps, but when he does, he makes plays.  Especially 1st downs.  And he's not a diva like a couple other of our WRs.

also, i'm not sold on Mack as the "workhorse".  I like what h le brings, but i dont see him lasting 16 games if he is over-used.

the Luck issue will work its lf out.  Jacoby should show us if he is "starter quality" by the end of the eeason.  If we feel he is, we wait and see on Luck, if not, maybe we use a 3rd or so on another.  Hopefully we will know more on Luck but draft time.  If he looks good to go, brissett is at least an adequate back-up.

we will have money to spend.  Ballard just needs to figure out where to draft and where to "import" from other teams:

with all the young guys and our injured coming back,  this team will look significantly different next year regardless of draft and free agents.  I'm excited.  Ballard had FAR more hits than misses this year.

mack has the talent and size to last. hes not a small back. Rogers is a good wr not saying he isnt, however I don't believe hes enough to take defensive pressure off of hilton. we need more weapons for luck.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

2017 has been a tough season, however 2018 can be a very good season depending what ballard does in his first full off-season as GM. Decisions linger with the inner situations of the team starting with of course what happens with andrew's shoulder and rather or not this injury will compel us to either continue with brissett or draft a QB in one of the most talented QB classes in recent memory. There is also the decisions with mewhort and moncrief and while they are both talented, one has landed on IR for the last three seasons now and the other fails to establish himself as the WR 1 his talent exudes. The outer decisions are of course upgrading the oline. If andrew does return, we can't allow him to sustain the same punishment or else that career-threatening injury will become career-ending. imo, improving the oline will be the key clog in placing us back to the success we have had in past history of this team. We have a potential star in mack once he becomes our workhorse next year, however we do need to find another weapon outside hilton especially if the team will move on from moncrief as I feel we can do better then rogers. The defense is playing better and with the return of hooker pairing with geathers along with melvin, desir, and hairston playing at a high level with developing wilson as well, our secondary can be a strong strength. Our front seven has plenty of talent with hankins and woods playing well and anderson before he was hurt. sheards and simon have both played well with morrison developing nicely. We do need better talent at inside LBer though. Ballard is also going to have his full staff of talent evaluators and a full draft of top 5 picks to determine how the 2018 season will go.

It's definitely going to be an exciting offseason that's for sure.  

57 minutes ago, CR91 said:

mack has the talent and size to last. hes not a small back. Rogers is a good wr not saying he isnt, however I don't believe hes enough to take defensive pressure off of hilton. we need more weapons for luck.

Agree on Rogers.  I think he can develop into a solid #3.  Maybe a #2 even.  Although here with Hilton as our best, i'd like our #2 to be bigger. I dont know what to think of Moncrief.  He's good when he's good.  But he disappears sometimes.  But i guess Hilton does too.  Perhaps its lack of time in pocket for QB, poor playcalling.  Im not sure. Moncrief will get paid by someone.  Im not sure if its better to pay him, or pay another top-tier receiver in FA.  Rogers is good value for the $ tho, dude catches everything you throw at him. It will be interesting to see what Baloard does at wr.  I'd like to see someone push Hilton.  if we had a #2 that balled out, i have a feeling it will light a fire under his butt.  Id like a #2 that isnt star-struck with Hilton, but rather a guy who wants Hiltons "spot".

i REALLY like Mack but i worry his body wouldnt hold up to a beating like Gore takes every week. Who could?  I think we need to develop another with Mack. (Assuming Gore wont be back). Maybe Turbin will be back.

Ballards focus was the backend of the defense and the DL.  That seems to be panning out.  Even the additions of Sheard and Simon are better than i expected. Hunt has looked really good lately too.  Bostic, mingo, sanchez, woods, hankins, desir,hairston.  All very good additions.  And smart contracts.

then the brissett trade.

i have a feeling Ballard has names of OL, MLB, and pass rush pasted all over his office. Im excited about the transformation.

im not sure why the organization was confident the OL was ok, but i find it hard to believe he just ignored it when he made efforts in really all other areas.  The injuries to Kelly, good, and mewhort had a big effect too.  Maybe moving guys hurt too.  Remember how mewhort, haeg , etc switched sides.  I have a feeling w 'll see OL from draft and FA this year:  exciting

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Will it?

Will it really?...

That's how you know the colts are god awful. People are literally picking random topics out of a hat to post about. 

Yea, i guess its better to just sit around and dwell on being god awful rather than seeing the changes occurring or acknowledging  the injuries this team is dealing with.  Anyone who thought we'd make a run this year, even with Luck, just isnt paying attention.  This team is being built the right way, which takes a little time unfortunately.  We all saw what happens when you try to build a team the wrong way.

Shame on us tor being optimistic.

45 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agree on Rogers.  I think he can develop into a solid #3.  Maybe a #2 even.  Although here with Hilton as our best, i'd like our #2 to be bigger. I dont know what to think of Moncrief.  He's good when he's good.  But he disappears sometimes.  But i guess Hilton does too.  Perhaps its lack of time in pocket for QB, poor playcalling.  Im not sure. Moncrief will get paid by someone.  Im not sure if its better to pay him, or pay another top-tier receiver in FA.  Rogers is good value for the $ tho, dude catches everything you throw at him. It will be interesting to see what Baloard does at wr.  I'd like to see someone push Hilton.  if we had a #2 that balled out, i have a feeling it will light a fire under his butt.  Id like a #2 that isnt star-struck with Hilton, but rather a guy who wants Hiltons "spot".

i REALLY like Mack but i worry his body wouldnt hold up to a beating like Gore takes every week. Who could?  I think we need to develop another with Mack. (Assuming Gore wont be back). Maybe Turbin will be back.

Ballards focus was the backend of the defense and the DL.  That seems to be panning out.  Even the additions of Sheard and Simon are better than i expected. Hunt has looked really good lately too.  Bostic, mingo, sanchez, woods, hankins, desir,hairston.  All very good additions.  And smart contracts.

then the brissett trade.

i have a feeling Ballard has names of OL, MLB, and pass rush pasted all over his office. Im excited about the transformation.

im not sure why the organization was confident the OL was ok, but i find it hard to believe he just ignored it when he made efforts in really all other areas.  The injuries to Kelly, good, and mewhort had a big effect too.  Maybe moving guys hurt too.  Remember how mewhort, haeg , etc switched sides.  I have a feeling w 'll see OL from draft and FA this year:  exciting

What I would like to see (in no particular order):

1) Rebuild the ILB group. Hopefully, the current philosophy of having two-down ILBs leaves with Pagano. Bring in a couple that can cover...and can play all three downs. I wish Ballard would have locked up Zach Brown on a three-year...that would have made this easier. But they are now basically starting from scratch.

2) Look at adding a pass-rushing OLB. Ideally, the Colts can retain Mingo on a reasonable two-year deal as depth...and Basham progresses (not as confident about that). But if the value is there in the draft, the Colts shouldn't pass on a potential cornerstone pass rusher to groom and push Sheard.

3) Retool the DL and add a pass-rushing DE and a depth piece or two. Anderson is a bit of a question mark and Woods is a FA. Both could be back, but I would still like to see them build off an already strong foundation and make he DL even better and deeper. This could become the Colts' calling card, but they still need that impact pass rusher.

4) Retool the WR group. Hilton will be back and it appears that Rogers is carving out a role, but the Colts will likely need to add three WRs to the team. They can afford to spend a bit on one and grab one in the 4th-5th round. 

5) Add a RB to pair with Mack. I wish Coleman was a FA this year, as he would be perfect, but this is a deep RB class and the Colts should be able to find a good one in the top 140 picks. And they could still go get Coleman next offseason if necessary. 

6) Retool the OL. I would like to see a legit FA signing or two for the OG position...and OT talent should be looked at heavily in the draft.

That's a lot to get done...so it's going to be fun to see it play out. 

53 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

1) Rebuild the ILB group. Hopefully, the current philosophy of having two-down ILBs leaves with Pagano. Bring in a couple that can cover...and can play all three downs. I wish Ballard would have locked up Zach Brown on a three-year...that would have made this easier. But they are now basically starting from scratch.

2) Look at adding a pass-rushing OLB. Ideally, the Colts can retain Mingo on a reasonable two-year deal as depth...and Basham progresses (not as confident about that). But if the value is there in the draft, the Colts shouldn't pass on a potential cornerstone pass rusher to groom and push Sheard.

3) Retool the DL and add a pass-rushing DE and a depth piece or two. Anderson is a bit of a question mark and Woods is a FA. Both could be back, but I would still like to see them build off an already strong foundation and make he DL even better and deeper. This could become the Colts' calling card, but they still need that impact pass rusher.

4) Retool the WR group. Hilton will be back and it appears that Rogers is carving out a role, but the Colts will likely need to add three WRs to the team. They can afford to spend a bit on one and grab one in the 4th-5th round. 

5) Add a RB to pair with Mack. I wish Coleman was a FA this year, as he would be perfect, but this is a deep RB class and the Colts should be able to find a good one in the top 140 picks. And they could still go get Coleman next offseason if necessary. 

6) Retool the OL. I would like to see a legit FA signing or two for the OG position...and OT talent should be looked at heavily in the draft.

Agree with everything.  Could not have said it any better.  Its like you read my mind.  But then, if we remove emotion and analyze the roster, its kinda clear what is needed.  Luckily, we should have early picks in draft rounds and lots of $ to spend in FA.

The only thing i would add is maybe try to upgrade the TE group.  Maybe swoope can impress and be a Pollard type.

We also have to monitor Andrews progress.  Im not even gonna get started on that.

it does seem like alot but the key may be the FA signings. Especially at OL. Its doable, but in reality it will take another draft and offseason (2019 draft) to fully turn this roster to what Ballard is probably envisioning. But, imo, if we ONLY address OL , this team will seriously turn a corner.

7 hours ago, CR91 said:

mack has the talent and size to last. hes not a small back. 

yeah, 5'11 210 is typical running back size. 

gore is 5'10 212. 

mack needs to change something he does to be more effective between the tackles to be a starter though 

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Mewhort I think retires.

37 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yeah, 5'11 210 is typical running back size. 

gore is 5'10 212. 

mack needs to change something he does to be more effective between the tackles to be a starter though 

Yup. So far, I'm not all that impressed with Mack. He'll break a 20-yarder now and then, mostly outside the tackles, but between the tackles he's only good for two yards and a cloud of dust. Granted, some of that lack of production is on the O-line, but you can't lay it all on them. The Colts really need an RB who can take advantage of those small cracks and get an extra yard or two after contact. Mack is just not that guy.

8 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Oh yeah the pressure will be on for Ballard next year as the team starts becoming more of his creation, rather than Grigson's.

He pretty much had a free pass this year regarding the teams performance, but next year, people will be expecting a lot more.

I have this theory in sports where it takes a rebuilding team (which is what we are) at least 2-3 years (depending on how good your QB is) to establish itself as a contender. However since we already got an established star at QB, people will have a playoffs or bust expectation next year, especially if Chuck is fired.

Any team with a "top 5" QB makes the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

Yup. So far, I'm not all that impressed with Mack. He'll break a 20-yarder now and then, mostly outside the tackles, but between the tackles he's only good for two yards and a cloud of dust. Granted, some of that lack of production is on the O-line, but you can't lay it all on them. The Colts really need an RB who can take advantage of those small cracks and get an extra yard or two after contact. Mack is just not that guy.

He's only had 59 carries. We haven't used him enough so far. He does average 3.7 a carry which isn't too bad, nothing Great but for a Rook 3.7 doesn't stink. Joe Mixon has had 129 carries and has averaged 2.9 a carry by comparison.

Whatever will be will be. Look at every season when teams that the majority agree will be very good or bad but the final chapter of the season finds those teams in opposite locations of what the "in-the-know" people predicted. With all the variables in sports a GM's job has to be a tough one. One injury to one player and down goes the season. Some players have their own special place in sports history as being the biggest busts in history while others shock the sport writers/world when they come out of nowhere to become champions and Hall of Fame candidates.

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Ballard will do a very good job in the draft, add a few more solid pieces in FA, bring in a new coaching staff, and we are still likely to finish last in our Division in 2018.

But headed in the right direction.

Don't agree. Much obviously depends on Andrew Luck. But the D is improving and just needs an upgrade or 2 at LB. A FA and a high draft pick at OL. Another WR and RB......And you've got something. Add in better coaching from the new HC and his staff and 2018 could be far better than people realize. 

First thing I personally feel needs fixed is the offensive line. The defense I’m less worried about. I hope I stand correct after today’s game as well lol. We need at least one more guy up front. Ballard has the team headed in the right direction. We’ll find out more about Luck in 6 weeks as well. 

Everything hinges on Luck returning.  If Luck returns, you have one plan, and are probably aggressive in free agency.  If his return is questionable and/or he has another procedure, you have a completely different plan and are not all that active in free agency.  For one thing, it will be difficult to land free agents.  Luck's return affects everything, from who the next coach is on down.

21 minutes ago, #12. said:

Everything hinges on Luck returning.  If Luck returns, you have one plan, and are probably aggressive in free agency.  If his return is questionable and/or he has another procedure, you have a completely different plan and are not all that active in free agency.  For one thing, it will be difficult to land free agents.  Luck's return affects everything, from who the next coach is on down.

Yep. Everything hinges on Luck returning and to add to it, whoever is going to be coaching this team next year. That is it.

Luck plus exemplary coaching is what this team needs to be a SB contender. I know talent will be added but along with Luck, it has to be utilized better.

9 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Wow...we sure have lots of needs to address don't we?  I expect this will take at least 2 more off-seasons to adequately address. I'm taking into account some hits and misses along the way.  With a coaching change and a hopefully healthier Luck...next year could be better.  However, if Ballard can build this team right then things might really start to get exciting for us in year 3 and beyond.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

that honestly wouldn't surprise me, however it would be such a waste of talent. mewhort can arguably be our best olinemen if he ever could stay healthy

i think kelly has a higher ceiling and floor but mewhort was a good player when healthy 

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think kelly has a higher ceiling and floor but mewhort was a good player when healthy 

true, but together, they were great. If we do resign mewhort and say draft mike mcglinchey in the first to play RT and either haeg or good at guard, we could have a solid line.

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

Rogers is with luck tossing him the ball

I expect Ballard will draft wisely and use our cap space $$ wisely to fill our most important needs.  If we had all of our injured players available right now, this would be a much different team.  Many of them have been here a few years, some are rookies.  But, you can't avoid injuries, for the most part and they happen to all teams.  Of the players he brought in or drafted who are not injured, he did pretty well.  He had quite a mountain to climb when he was hired and had to work with a coaching staff he inherited.

He can now bring in the coaching staff he wants and draft and sign players to match up with that staff's philosophy.

Probably going to be 2019 season before things really come together, but I expect a much better record next season.

30 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I expect Ballard will draft wisely and use our cap space $$ wisely to fill our most important needs.  If we had all of our injured players available right now, this would be a much different team.  Many of them have been here a few years, some are rookies.  But, you can't avoid injuries, for the most part and they happen to all teams.  Of the players he brought in or drafted who are not injured, he did pretty well.  He had quite a mountain to climb when he was hired and had to work with a coaching staff he inherited.

He can now bring in the coaching staff he wants and draft and sign players to match up with that staff's philosophy.

Probably going to be 2019 season before things really come together, but I expect a much better record next season.

I could see a much improved team finishing around 10-6 if Luck comes back fully healthy, and Ballard focuses this offseason on fixing the OL with talented players who can control the line of scrimmage, as well as adding a few playmaking ILBs who can cover very well and tackle consistently. Another pass rusher at OLB will be needed also. And finally please get rid of the current medical staff and hire a quality one!! Indy has consistently been one of the top injury plagued teams over the past decade from what I've heard. Basically, Ballard needs to maneuver the draft where he adds additional draft picks while still getting the players they are targeting. This team has so many needs that need to be taken care of so adding more picks would certainly help that. 

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 12:32 AM, WoolMagnet said:

then the brissett trade.

I agree his additions have been pretty good. The draft is too early to tell right now but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. His FAs have been pretty good contributors for sure. Looking at the free agent market...since we have a ton of cap space...the WR class is very very deep. I think he goes out and gets some help for TY and Luck. Someone he can count on to make some plays. My choice would be Jarvis Landry if I had one. Guy catches tons of balls and will work the middle of the field and make tough catches. Also seems to make plays in the redzone. I expect some to be re-signed with their team but I think he leaves Miami. We already have that home run threat in TY so we need a possession receiver. But its a big market for WRs. (D. Adams, Jeffrey, Pryor, Landry, Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, John Brown...lots of options possibly to upgrade that position). I'm not ruling out a wr in the draft but I wouldn't expect it to be a high priority. Looking at what the FA market hold I would say priority would be to draft pass rush help or a tackle. I do expect we supplement the OL in free agency too but I'm sure that draft will be heavily OL and LB oriented. I don't think free agency will preclude us from any position in the draft but I think Ballard will look at what the draft is deep in and try to work to fix that area of the team...but I would be pretty shocked if we walked away with something other than a pass rusher or offensive tackle in the first rd....then after that who knows. But I also would be shocked if one of the wr's I mentioned up there wasn't added to the team as well.

28 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree his additions have been pretty good. The draft is too early to tell right now but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. His FAs have been pretty good contributors for sure. Looking at the free agent market...since we have a ton of cap space...the WR class is very very deep. I think he goes out and gets some help for TY and Luck. Someone he can count on to make some plays. My choice would be Jarvis Landry if I had one. Guy catches tons of balls and will work the middle of the field and make tough catches. Also seems to make plays in the redzone. I expect some to be re-signed with their team but I think he leaves Miami. We already have that home run threat in TY so we need a possession receiver. But its a big market for WRs. (D. Adams, Jeffrey, Pryor, Landry, Watkins, Robinson, Matthews, John Brown...lots of options possibly to upgrade that position). I'm not ruling out a wr in the draft but I wouldn't expect it to be a high priority. Looking at what the FA market hold I would say priority would be to draft pass rush help or a tackle. I do expect we supplement the OL in free agency too but I'm sure that draft will be heavily OL and LB oriented. I don't think free agency will preclude us from any position in the draft but I think Ballard will look at what the draft is deep in and try to work to fix that area of the team...but I would be pretty shocked if we walked away with something other than a pass rusher or offensive tackle in the first rd....then after that who knows. But I also would be shocked if one of the wr's I mentioned up there wasn't added to the team as well.

Looking at the draft not as a fan but more unbiased, I would say it is average at best right now.  2nd rounder not playing as a healthy scratch.  Tarell Basham, very unimpressed for a 3rd rounder.  Marlon Mack is a good pick but Banner (picked before Mack) was cut and Stewart has been mediocre so far.  5th round you had a HUGE hit with Hairston and Walker was a hopeful guy.  

I would say you produced a solid pick with Hairston, Hooker is a hopeful but showed some flashes, and Mack is a good complimentary back.  So far that is it...I would say average at best for right now.  Hopefully guys can continue to improve and hopefully he hits on more picks this year.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Looking at the draft not as a fan but more unbiased, I would say it is average at best right now.  2nd rounder not playing as a healthy scratch.  Tarell Basham, very unimpressed for a 3rd rounder.  Marlon Mack is a good pick but Banner (picked before Mack) was cut and Stewart has been mediocre so far.  5th round you had a HUGE hit with Hairston and Walker was a hopeful guy.  

I would say you produced a solid pick with Hairston, Hooker is a hopeful but showed some flashes, and Mack is a good complimentary back.  So far that is it...I would say average at best for right now.  Hopefully guys can continue to improve and hopefully he hits on more picks this year.

I've got hope that Basham continues to learn and come along. It is a huge step up from Ohio University to NFL level. I'm going to give him a break. He has flashed a couple times but mostly looked lost. Hooker looked good and Mack and Hairston indeed. Hard to tell with Wilson. He had some flash plays in pre-season and week 1 but then had rookie plays too. May or may not pan out. That is key to the draft....like Belicheck sometimes quantity is more important than quality (high picks) because getting the extra draft pick for Allen I'm sure helped us plan and round out the draft. Good news is that I think we are much more prepared to take a step forward next year with what we have then what we had coming in. Still OL question marks and yes the LBs are below average but we have a quality backup qb, and a young secondary that while not elite for sure is talented I would say and growing in confidence. The DL has looked strong for the most part until it gets tired from being on the field too long but the defense is slowly getting there. Add back Luck and I think this team can threaten for a playoff spot...upgrade some more and we should be favorites for the division again.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I've got hope that Basham continues to learn and come along. It is a huge step up from Ohio University to NFL level. I'm going to give him a break. He has flashed a couple times but mostly looked lost. Hooker looked good and Mack and Hairston indeed. Hard to tell with Wilson. He had some flash plays in pre-season and week 1 but then had rookie plays too. May or may not pan out. That is key to the draft....like Belicheck sometimes quantity is more important than quality (high picks) because getting the extra draft pick for Allen I'm sure helped us plan and round out the draft. Good news is that I think we are much more prepared to take a step forward next year with what we have then what we had coming in. Still OL question marks and yes the LBs are below average but we have a quality backup qb, and a young secondary that while not elite for sure is talented I would say and growing in confidence. The DL has looked strong for the most part until it gets tired from being on the field too long but the defense is slowly getting there. Add back Luck and I think this team can threaten for a playoff spot...upgrade some more and we should be favorites for the division again.

I will say I hope Basham improves but I will not hold my breath on him.  The draft is about getting players in that hopefully make an impact day 1.  Rounds 1-4 for the most part should help quickly.  So far in this draft you have 1 guy making a limited impact in Mack.  Hooker was looking good until the injury but he is not helping right now.  You have two many guys as "hopeful" for next year, which is why I would say the draft is looking average to below average really.  This is just me being unbiased altogether.

As a fan I hope anyone wearing the horseshoe does well.  Coaches, Management, Players...everybody.  The second part of what you said I agree with completely.  Add Luck in and you have a huge difference.  Finally look to improve the O-line and again a huge difference.  The D has looked good at times and improving the ILB's will be night and day to helping.  We still need a true pass rusher to get pressure routinely on a QB.  Too many times the QB can almost sit in cement against us.  Not moving his feet and just make it look easy, with all the time they have.  We have more areas to fix than 1 off-season can address.  Make the o-line and ILB a priority and Luck well fill in the rest for next year.  Then 2019 allows for a larger focus on some other key areas.