Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For those of you who are SO against taking a RB in 1st take a look at Cowboys ....

jshipp23

Winning will do nothing for us, if we go on a magical run and win next 6 make the playoffs I will be cheering the hardest...Not gonna happen though...We need Saquon Barkley he is the next A.P, Zeke, Barry Sanders,  franchise changing type RB!! Get Barkley Rd 1, address other issues in rds 2-7, and with the mountain of Cap space we will have..Barkley and a legitimate NFL coach we will be 13-3 next year with a bye PERIOD, with Luck or Brissett...I personally don't think Luck will ever be the same again, and I see enormous potential in Brissett..Flip luck for assets while it's still possible, bring in Harbaugh or Gruden and draft BARKLEY..Easy as pie...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No to all of this the cowboys suck cause Prescott isn't that great zeke makes him look better we have luck we don't need to spend a top 5 pick on a RB

No sure thing Luck will ever be back or at same level..I see same skill set in Brissett tbh..He walked into a very difficult situation..Give him an offseason and legitimate coach I am comfortable with Brissett...Even if Luck comes back close to his old level he is a hit away from being finished...Barkley isn't your regular RB, he will be BPA even if we pick 1st which we won't...If he is there I trust Ballard will take him...

Current NFL rushing leaders:

1. Le'Veon Bell - 2nd round pick

2. Kareem Hunt - 3rd round pick

3. Jordan Howard - 5th round pick

The rest of your post is completely absurd.  You're making the assumption that Luck will never be the same, which is flawed.  Having delays in recovery doesn't mean he'll never be the same.  It's just as possible that he comes back better than ever.  You're saying we should hire Gruden or Harbaugh, which is highly unlikely and/or a bad idea.  Gruden has said multiple times he isn't looking to return to the NFL, while Harbaugh's personality is very mercurial and not stable enough to be a head coach for several years.  Not only that, but he'll also want control of personnel, as he did in San Fran, which won't fly since we have Ballard calling those shots.  Just an overall bad idea for how the Colts should go forward.

6 minutes ago, IinD said:

That defense I saw yesterday was trash. 

And Prescott isn't an unknown anymore.

So great seeing that Dallas shine fade away so quickly.

Just like Derek Carr, Dak was just overrated. I never get excited when I see a QB only have 1 winning year or 1 great year statistically. Some people do and declare that QB the next best QB in the league. I need at least 3 years of Good to Great play and winning from a QB before I go bonkers over a QB. We seen that from Luck (2012-2014), so we know we got a potentially great one if he gets healthy.

Unless you are seeing a franchise star (someone like Fournette last year) you are better to hit other needs in the first round (pass rush, strong O-linemen) as the drop off is much more for these positions as you fall through the rounds as for RB's.

Also much easier to pick up decent FA backs than other positions.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

No sure thing Luck will ever be back or at same level..I see same skill set in Brissett tbh..He walked into a very difficult situation..Give him an offseason and legitimate coach I am comfortable with Brissett...Even if Luck comes back close to his old level he is a hit away from being finished...Barkley isn't your regular RB, he will be BPA even if we pick 1st which we won't...If he is there I trust Ballard will take him...

Brissett couldn't hold lucks jock strap they are not similar 

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

We need Saquon Barkley he is the next A.P, Zeke, Barry Sanders,  franchise changing type RB!!

He reminds me a lot more of Reggie Bush than any of those guys TBH. Bush was one of the most electrifying college football players I've watched, and for whatever reason, it didn't translate that well to the NFL. Not saying that'll happen with Barkley, just saying even with the RB position, nothing is a sure thing.

The three guys noted - Zeke, AP, Barry Sanders - have a combined zero championship rings. For the most part, the teams that Sanders and AP played for were usually not very good. 

I know the jury is still out on Elliott but what was the last Super Bowl team that rode a running back to victory? The days of Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis are gone. You don't need a top-tier RB to win in the NFL anymore. With the holes that Indy has, taking a RB in the first round would be very Grigsonesque. 

4 minutes ago, ar1888 said:

The Cowboys Oline is also years ahead of  the Colts Olines current state. 

In year's past, that's been true. As of right now, they're pretty ordinary. They've lost some pieces along that front this year, and are shuffling guys around to make due just like every other team in the league. Just look at Dak's numbers the past few games, he's starting to look more and more like an average 2nd year QB without that elite pass blocking.

2 minutes ago, GoPats said:

The three guys noted - Zeke, AP, Barry Sanders - have a combined zero championship rings. For the most part, the teams that Sanders and AP played for were usually not very good. 

I know the jury is still out on Elliott but what was the last Super Bowl team that rode a running back to victory? The days of Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis are gone. You don't need a top-tier RB to win in the NFL anymore. With the holes that Indy has, taking a RB in the first round would be very Grigsonesque.

This made me laugh, then cry

4 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Not to mention the personality quirks each one had/has

3 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Grigsonesque? Great word. Kudos to you for coming up with it. I have a feeling it will be repeated a few times.

3 minutes ago, GoPats said:

With the holes that Indy has, taking a RB in the first round would be very Grigsonesque. 

Polian had a similar ideology. Use high picks on skill players and build the rest of the team with scraps. Those systems are reliant on great individual play, not the best team play sadly. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just like Derek Carr, Dak was just overrated. I never get excited when I see a QB only have 1 winning year or 1 great year statistically. Some people do and declare that QB the next best QB in the league. I need at least 3 years of Good to Great play and winning from a QB before I go bonkers over a QB. We seen that from Luck (2012-2014), so we know we got a potentially great one if he gets healthy.

Absolutely, it's just that anything you listen or read will sing the praises of that player that's doing well.

As soon as things seem to be getting rocky, Dallas is crashing back down to earth. I love it.

But I agree with what you're saying in general, it's easier to look good when the team looks better overall. As soon as that player has to be Peyton or Luck and drag their team to wins, they usually start losing.

14 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He reminds me a lot more of Reggie Bush than any of those guys TBH. Bush was one of the most electrifying college football players I've watched, and for whatever reason, it didn't translate that well to the NFL. Not saying that'll happen with Barkley, just saying even with the RB position, nothing is a sure thing.

A good example right now is Nixon. When he fell to Cincy most everyone thought he was a steal and he would dominate at the RB position. Hasn't happened yet.

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

In year's past, that's been true. As of right now, they're pretty ordinary. They've lost some pieces along that front this year, and are shuffling guys around to make due just like every other team in the league. Just look at Dak's numbers the past few games, he's starting to look more and more like an average 2nd year QB without that elite pass blocking.

Yeah, it makes you wonder what Luck’s number would be behind a healthy and elite Cowboys O-line, doesn’t it?

:ninja:

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A good example right now is Nixon. When he fell to Cincy most everyone thought he was a steal and he would dominate at the RB position. Hasn't happened yet.

Yeah there was a lot of people in here that was in love with Mixon. He has been Bad so far, I breathed a sigh of relief when we passed on him and Cincy took him.

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Winning will do nothing for us, if we go on a magical run and win next 6 make the playoffs I will be cheering the hardest...Not gonna happen though...We need Saquon Barkley he is the next A.P, Zeke, Barry Sanders,  franchise changing type RB!! Get Barkley Rd 1, address other issues in rds 2-7, and with the mountain of Cap space we will have..Barkley and a legitimate NFL coach we will be 13-3 next year with a bye PERIOD, with Luck or Brissett...I personally don't think Luck will ever be the same again, and I see enormous potential in Brissett..Flip luck for assets while it's still possible, bring in Harbaugh or Gruden and draft BARKLEY..Easy as pie...

If a great O-lineman available at the Colts 1st pick it should be done. The major problem we have is protecting Luck. Without that protection we don't win. Even if it comes down to Brissett being the QB, he will still need the same protection. The next major concern we have is a pass rusher. Getting a pass rusher and an Offensive lineman needs to be the first positions filled.  We have Mack and getting an off tackle RB to replace Gore can be addressed later in the draft or free agency.

Dallas is the prime example of putting all your eggs in one basket. Teams really don't do that anymore because  an injury can kill an offense. The Vikings lost their #1 RB and now have two very serviceable RBs to take up the loss. They have the record to prove the point.

2 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Dallas has been without Tyron Smith, Doug Free retired, Ron Leary went to Denver, and Zach Martin was hurt for this last game. Losing all those guys, in addition to teams finally figuring Dak out have hurt the Cowboys much more than the loss of Zeke. 

Amazing what an Offensive Line and Running game can do for a QB, hey Dak welcome to Andrew's world now lmao Andrew has never had either worth a damn and still went 11-5 3 times and made a Title Game.

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah there was a lot of people in here that was in love with Mixon. He has been Bad so far, I breathed a sigh of relief when we passed on him and Cincy took him.

He hasn't been bad he's on a pretty bad team with a crap o line and hasn't always been the feature back 

Dark isn't the one with the big ego.  That would be Jerry Jones, Zeke and Dez Bryant.  He is doing exactly what he did at Miss. State (my team).  Ball control offense, don't turn the ball over.  Tyron Smith, Ezekiel, out, etc...he is getting hit a lot now .  QBs don't last long when that happens....see Luck.  By the way, I don't like Dallas and it breaks my heart Dak went there.

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

may be due to coaching Marvin Lewis strikes me as Paganoesque

40 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Mixon is kind of a head scratcher. The Bengals drafted him even though they already have 2 other 2nd round runningbacks on their roster. Cincy should cut ties with Bernard or Hill, or both, and make Mixon the bell-cow moving forward, but who knows with that team. Their first round pick WR (John Ross) was a healthy scratch this past week, which is pretty similar to the Quincy Wilson situation. They also have an interim offensive coordinator, and a dead man walking head coach. I think we'll see a shake up in Cincy that's very similar to what most are expecting to see in Indy, and Mixon will be the guy sooner than later.

23 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He hasn't been bad he's on a pretty bad team with a crap o line and hasn't always been the feature back 

He's has had his chances to make big plays. He has had 127 carries and has averaged only 2.9 Yards a carry. In comparison Marlon Mack has averaged 3.7 Yards a carry. Even Mack has been more productive than Mixon has been with a Line that is just as Bad as Cincy's and playing with a backup QB. I am just glad we didn't Draft Mixon, I think Mack will have a better career and the guy I wanted Hunt, may have a Great career.

29 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Old Vikes team and current Cowboys team are trying to win with a great Oline and feature back, AP and Zeke.  That formula hasn't won a Super Bowl since........Riggins Redskins.  That was before free agency I believe.  Different times.

That can be done these days.....IF you have a generational defense (ie Baltimore 2000)

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He's has had his chances to make big plays. He has had 127 carries and has averaged only 2.9 Yards a carry. In comparison Marlon Mack has averaged 3.7 Yards a carry. Even Mack has been more productive than Mixon has been with a Line that is just as Bad as Cincy's and playing with a backup QB. I am just glad we didn't Draft Mixon, I think Mack will have a better career and the guy I wanted Hunt, may have a Great career.

I'm not gonna say a rookie is bad tho van always improve after year one 

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Current NFL rushing leaders:

1. Le'Veon Bell - 2nd round pick

2. Kareem Hunt - 3rd round pick

3. Jordan Howard - 5th round pick

bell would have been worth a first round pick.  he wasnt taken there, but in hindsight it would have been worth it.  same is probably true for hunt.  

i agree with the OP about running backs and so do real GMs around the league. 

the past few drafts have seen at least one back taken early, and guys like elliot and fournette were worth their draft spot