Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts defense is getting better. No, really.

NannyMcafee

Not gonna get too excited about this. They played well against Pittsburgh, for two and a half quarters. A decent game. The previous game was against Tom Savage, who isn't good, and their best weapon is a receiver who is known to disappear when he doesn't have chemistry with his QB. Imagine what Deshaun Watson would have done to us... The game before that was against the Bengals, who have been awful offensively all season.

Statistically, the defense isn't giving up as many yards, points, or big plays, and that's a positive thing, but I'm not gonna start jumping up and down about a decent three game stretch that included two of the worst offensive attacks in the league. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Not gonna get too excited about this. They played well against Pittsburgh, for two and a half quarters. A decent game. The previous game was against Tom Savage, who isn't good, and their best weapon is a receiver who is known to disappear when he doesn't have chemistry with his QB. Imagine what Deshaun Watson would have done to us... The game before that was against the Bengals, who have been awful offensively all season.

Statistically, the defense isn't giving up as many yards, points, or big plays, and that's a positive thing, but I'm not gonna start jumping up and down about a decent three game stretch that included two of the worst offensive attacks in the league. 

I don't think anyone is that excited. But we have seen the starts of a good foundation, which we haven't seen for a while. positive is positive. 

Just now, superrep1967 said:

I'd be excited if this was game four, not game 11 when were already basically out of the playoffs.  

Next year has a lot more potential than this year. There are enough games left to help our guys get even better and more familiar with each other. Still. Positive is positive. 

15 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I don't think anyone is that excited. But we have seen the starts of a good foundation, which we haven't seen for a while. positive is positive. 

It's the bolded that I'm not ready to agree to. We traded shots with the Steelers, but when it was time to make a play, their offense was money and our defense fell apart. Even on the two point conversion, they had a receiver w-i-d-e open, no defender within ten yards of him. This has been the story all year. (I will say, they put together a good gameplan to limit Antonio, and executed it for most of the game... then he burned us for 32 yards. Still, compared to the huge games he usually has against us, that's a positive.)

And the other two games were against bad offenses. Using them as a barometer isn't going to yield accurate results, IMO. 

If the defense looks reasonably well against the Titans, and doesn't fall apart in the fourth quarter, then I'll start coming around to the idea that we're seeing something meaningful and noteworthy. For now, it's just a couple of games against bad opponents. 

It could definitely be worse, but those are famous last words...

I think aside from the obvious needs, I think the defense could really do with is an elite talent, particularly in the front seven where a constantly disruptive player would make a huge difference. I think it's one of Ballard's biggest challenges as a GM, is to find that blue chip talent, along with fixing the oline, etc.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's the bolded that I'm not ready to agree to. We traded shots with the Steelers, but when it was time to make a play, their offense was money and our defense fell apart. Even on the two point conversion, they had a receiver w-i-d-e open, no defender within ten yards of him. This has been the story all year. (I will say, they put together a good gameplan to limit Antonio, and executed it for most of the game... then he burned us for 32 yards. Still, compared to the huge games he usually has against us, that's a positive.)

And the other two games were against bad offenses. Using them as a barometer isn't going to yield accurate results, IMO. 

If the defense looks reasonably well against the Titans, and doesn't fall apart in the fourth quarter, then I'll start coming around to the idea that we're seeing something meaningful and noteworthy. For now, it's just a couple of games against bad opponents. 

Hankins alone is a start to a good foundation. I did say starts. 

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

How much of the D crumbling late in the game can be attributed to being gassed because the O can't get anything going in the second halves of games?

That's part of it, the offense isn't sustaining drives late in games, putting more pressure on the defense. And there have been a couple of turnovers that have made it harder, like the Bengals game.

But I wouldn't use the word gassed. I would say stressed. The more plays you're out there for, the more advantage goes to the better team. Like the Steelers, veteran offense, great QB, great receiver, great RB... eventually, they were going to crack the code and make some plays. After all, they were going against a makeshift defensive unit of rookies, backups and castoffs, coached by a staff that hasn't done a great job of making adjustments and handling mismatches. I don't think the defense is worn down, tired, gassed... I think they're outmatched, sometimes undisciplined (TJ Green), and eventually get exposed.

The offense needs to shorten the game by sustaining drives, scoring points in the 4th quarter, and controlling field position. But our offense doesn't do that effectively. They can't strike the proper balance needed to eat clock and be productive. 

13 hours ago, Superman said:

Also, it's important to note that the Steelers offense has really struggled this season. Apart from the Titans game when they came alive, Big Ben hasn't been himself. That's not an explosive offense if we're counting the Colts gamed every game before it.

Kudos to the Colts defense for handling what was put in front of them, and there are building blocks but I agree with you, they're still yet to face 'real' tests.

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Also, it's important to note that the Steelers offense has really struggled this season. Apart from the Titans game when they came alive, Big Ben hasn't been himself. That's not an explosive offense if we're counting the Colts gamed every game before it.

Kudos to the Colts defense for handling what was put in front of them, and there are building blocks but I agree with you, they're still yet to face 'real' tests.

To the bolded, I find this to be common among posters but yet is the worst thing to read.  We face each and every team that is placed in front of us.  Regardless of what you see roster wise this is the NFL.  Best of the best make it here, correct?  Our defense faces a test every week and they have continued to face tests each week.  Just because a backup is playing does not mean we are not tested on D, that is a copout and is simply not true.  Every team we have played this year is not saying they are not tested because of Brissett.  Our D is showing improvements, if you do not want to admit it, fine.  Saying there not being tested and this is why, well not true at all!

30 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

To the bolded, I find this to be common among posters but yet is the worst thing to read.  We face each and every team that is placed in front of us.  Regardless of what you see roster wise this is the NFL.  Best of the best make it here, correct?  Our defense faces a test every week and they have continued to face tests each week.  Just because a backup is playing does not mean we are not tested on D, that is a copout and is simply not true.  Every team we have played this year is not saying they are not tested because of Brissett.  Our D is showing improvements, if you do not want to admit it, fine.  Saying there not being tested and this is why, well not true at all!

You have the prerogative to believe what you want. The topic states that the defense is improving, that has to be taken with a heavy degree of context. Sure, you play who is in front of you but you have to understand what those 2/3 teams are before stating that the defense is 'improving'. 

If it's the worst thing to read, easy solution...don't read it.

16 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think aside from the obvious needs, I think the defense could really do with is an elite talent, particularly in the front seven where a constantly disruptive player would make a huge difference. I think it's one of Ballard's biggest challenges as a GM, is to find that blue chip talent, along with fixing the oline, etc.

Exactly. There are 2-3 quality rush prospects at he top of  the draft, and he surely will add a good LB'er prospect.
if Geathers is healthy then we should be pretty solid. That upward trajectory.

10 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

You have the prerogative to believe what you want. The topic states that the defense is improving, that has to be taken with a heavy degree of context. Sure, you play who is in front of you but you have to understand what those 2/3 teams are before stating that the defense is 'improving'. 

This is a very unpopular position to take on this board that you speak of. JMO
 I mean you Must be a very good Head Coach and a Great young QB to go 33-15 and 16-2 in the AFC South!!!  :spit:

58 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

So if the NFL stats show a team with the #1 Defense in the league but "in context" they played an easy schedule...you say they are not actually that good then?  

The hard to read comment was a little much, I apologize about that.  I like debate and not trying to come off as a *

47 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

This is a very unpopular position to take on this board that you speak of. JMO
 I mean you Must be a very good Head Coach and a Great young QB to go 33-15 and 16-2 in the AFC South!!!  :spit:

Wow, nice way to take a sarcastic shot at beating teams that we were supposed to in our Division at that time. A lot of teams play down to their competition and lose games they shouldn't. If you are a true Colts fan you should appreciate we had a dominant run in the Division over 18 games. By the way we also had Playoff wins vs KC after being down by 28 and we won at Denver against a Von Miller loaded D and the presence of Peyton but yeah we only beat scrubs according to you. You all need to give the weak Division thing a break. We also beat the Packers in 2012, beat Seattle in 2013, and won at SF in 2013 when they were Great. Not like we didn't win outside of our Division against Good to Great teams. Only reason why our record isn't better than it is outside of the Division is because we are 0-5 vs the Pats. We get it, Pagano sucks and Luck is overrated - that is what you should've Posted and just been done with it. :spit:

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

So if the NFL stats show a team with the #1 Defense in the league but "in context" they played an easy schedule...you say they are not actually that good then?  

The hard to read comment was a little much, I apologize about that.  I like debate and not trying to come off as a *

Much respect for the apology. I love healthy debate and respect your opinion.

If the NFL stats show a team with the #1 defense, YES I still urge context. The last thing you want to do is buy the false positives. Sure, it's good to see them shut down the teams they're shutting down but when the notion that they've improved drastically comes from the basis of playing 3 poor offenses, it's hard to agree with it. Context is important.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wow, nice way to take a sarcastic shot at beating teams that we were supposed to in our Division at that time. A lot of teams play down to their competition and lose games they shouldn't. If you are a true Colts fan you should appreciate we had a dominant run in the Division over 18 games. By the way we also had Playoff wins vs KC after being down by 28 and we won at Denver against a Von Miller loaded D and the presence of Peyton but yeah we only beat scrubs according to you. You all need to give the weak Division thing a break. We also beat the Packers in 2012, beat Seattle in 2013, and won at SF in 2013 when they were Great. Not like we didn't win outside of our Division against Good to Great teams. Only reason why our record isn't better than it is outside of the Division is because we are 0-5 vs the Pats. We get it, Pagano sucks and Luck is overrated - that is what you should've Posted and just been done with it. :spit:

But wait the Patriots get 6 easy games each year as well....does that make their records weaker and BB as a coach weaker too?

Just now, Colt.45 said:

Much respect for the apology. I love healthy debate and respect your opinion.

If the NFL stats show a team with the #1 defense, YES I still urge context. The last thing you want to do is buy the false positives. Sure, it's good to see them shut down the teams they're shutting down but when the notion that they've improved drastically comes from the basis of playing 3 poor offenses, it's hard to agree with it. Context is important.

Now I can see this side of the argument, and I would agree to a degree about the context. 

Now trying to deflate (haha) the Steelers game is a little much.  The Texans, going against Tom Savage, shows they are still improving as Savage just beat the Cardinals and we made some positive strides imo.  Bengals are not great but we were able to control the run and cover AJ Green.  We still lost but I would not put that game on the D.

Now looking at the next 6 games we can still make good judgments about the progress based on how we do in each game.  No team has a prolific offense, but by context, what team does outside of Philly and NE?

2 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

This is exactly what I was thinking haha. Everyone here thought the line was fixed after the second half of the season.

The owner was optimistic, as he should be.  Not many people said it was fixed, rather saying there was some potential and upside finally. 

This has proven to be false but at the time no one would expect some of the guys playing very well to come into this year and look like complete dumpster fires (Clark).  We still have some guys that might show to be good but most are looking to hopefully remain as good backups.  Good can play RT if we do not address this.  Guards both need replaced in the draft or Free Agency!

On 11/21/2017 at 12:48 PM, Superman said:

I feel inclined to give them more credit than you are for the Steelers game. They only gave up 2 TDs vs an offense that has historically lit us up as of late, and one of those TDs came on a drive that started on the Colts 10 yard line after the INT off of Doyle's hands. Considering what the Steelers did a week later vs Tennessee, I'm very pleased with how the D performed in that game.

They kept Brown and Bell in check, but at the end of the day, the Colts offense just couldn't get enough going in the 2nd half to do the defense any favors. You can't expect them to lock down the Steelers for an entire half when our O only converts 4 first downs. Eventually Ben's going to make something happen, it's inevitable.

I do agree 100% about the other 2 games, but at the same time, with all the injuries the Colts have suffered on that side of the ball already, the fact that they actually look decent at times should definitely be viewed as a positive sign.

Didn't seem too long ago we used to complain about our defense making scrub offenses/players look like all pros.  So I'll take the recent performance.  IMO, this is the first time in a while that I don't fear our D being on the field. 

34 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

And I think the offense is responsible for close to 50 of those points.

I think those numbers we read and then some bring up as negative are misleading. Between the pick sixes and the turnovers making the other teams offense not have to work to score has to be considered.

Like cbear said just not hearing how bad the defense that has been a long standing issue has to be a sign that the defense is improving, regardless of numbers.

I think that, personnel-wise, this defense is better than last year.   They have stretches where you really see improvement, but then they just self destruct giving up huge plays.  At the same time, and I blame the DC for this, they have been very much Jekyll & Hyde in defense scheming from one half to the next. 

I think the narrative has been that, aside from 2 to 3 games, they have actually been rather stellar in the first half, but then utterly out to lunch in the second half.  The argument that the offence is to blame for causing the defense duress is compelling, but at the end of the day, really good defenses step up, as opposed to collapsing.  I do have optimism for next year, though, assuming a new coaching regime and two to three key defensive addition along with the healthy return of the wounded. 

• 2 weeks later...

We haven't really played anyone this season. The Rams gutted our defense. We played well against Pittsburgh for three and a half quarters.

This defense still has a ton of holes, but the future seems to be headed in the right direction. Can't wait to see what a new coaching staff and hopefully a few play-makers could do for us.