Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 Colts who are earning contract extensions

NannyMcafee

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Man this site is a ghost town lately. 

https://www.google.com/amp/coltswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/18/indianapolis-colts-contract-extensions-rashaan-melvin-pierre-desir-adam-vinatieri/amp/

on another note. Colts expect Brissett to start vs TN. 

Who are they because I can't open the article. Nevermind I got it and I agree. 

1 minute ago, ProblChld32 said:

Whoa Vinatieri is the goat, why would you want to let him go? 

Not criticizing him but there are many alternatives to him plus he will not be unemployed for any length of time and he commands talent  if traded. If he stays that is fine with me but he should be valuable on the grading block and the Colts need talent.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Not criticizing him but there are many alternatives to him plus he will not be unemployed for any length of time and he commands talent  if traded. If he stays that is fine with me but he should be valuable on the grading block and the Colts need talent.

How do we go about trading him?? 

Hes a free agent at the end of this season.... 

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

With all of the problems this league has with kickers it would be very stupid to get rid of one of the league's most consistent ones no matter what his age is. 

Get rid of Bostic and Vinatieri

Why vinatieri? Teams are struggling to find a decent kicker. Look at Seattle who lost their second game of the season because a terrible kicker. They 100% would love to have vinatieri and would have 2 more wins this season if they did. Kicker isn’t one of our problems so let’s not make it one. 

What alternatives are consistent, proven, and won’t crumble under pressure who aren’t already on a team? And if there are “many alternatives” available then who would trade for him?

8 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Who are they because I can't open the article. Nevermind I got it and I agree. 

Melvin Adam Mingo Desir and Bostic. are the guys from the article.

Melvin and Desir should be done ASAP IMO. If Adam wants to keep playing sign him up too. 

Mingo I'm not sure about I'm hoping we draft the future Edge then with Sheard and  Simon where does he fit? 

Bostic has looked better of late but still not a guy I'd resign. We need new starters. Jackson will be back George is a special teams ace. .How about a couple of LB's who can run and cover 

12 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I like Adam and he is a great kicker but it might be time to get younger at the position.

As long as Vinatieri is kicking at the level he is,  the term "getting younger at the postiion" doesn't make sense for a kicker.

In other words,  he's not kicking like a man in his mid-40's.     He's still kicking like a man in his mid-20's.

You're not going to get a better kicker.     You might get a CHEAPER kicker,   but not better.     But younger is irrelevent until he shows his age.....

13 hours ago, King Colt said:

You can't trade a free agent.    If Adam wants to continue to play,   he will be here

I would resign all of them right now.  Get it done before FA even starts.  The one unpopular guy in Bostic, I would still re-sign but hope for some replacement and keep him for depth.  Give him another small team friendly deal.

Vinny will be the kicker here until he tells us he is done.  Sign him and let him continue to do what he does.  None better.

9 hours ago, akcolt said:

Melvin Adam Mingo Desir and Bostic. are the guys from the article.

Melvin and Desir should be done ASAP IMO. If Adam wants to keep playing sign him up too. 

Mingo I'm not sure about I'm hoping we draft the future Edge then with Sheard and  Simon where does he fit? 

Bostic has looked better of late but still not a guy I'd resign. We need new starters. Jackson will be back George is a special teams ace. .How about a couple of LB's who can run and cover 

Yes, I agree we need pass rushers and cover LB's,

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As long as Vinatieri is kicking at the level he is,  the term "getting younger at the postiion" doesn't make sense for a kicker.

In other words,  he's not kicking like a man in his mid-40's.     He's still kicking like a man in his mid-20's.

You're not going to get a better kicker.     You might get a CHEAPER kicker,   but not better.     But younger is irrelevent until he shows his age.....

That can change at almost any time now he is what 45 years old.

29 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

So get rid of him when it changes. You don't preemptively get rid of a good kicker. There's no cap issue, there's no value issue. Keep him until he's not performing.

I wouldn't give Melvin a big pay day. I'm glad he's playing well and I hope that means he's going to continue to play well, but if he tests the market and gets an big offer, I wouldn't be eager to match it. While he's proven to be much better than I expected, and much better than I gave him credit for early in the season, I still believe he has issues, and is a complementary corner, not an upper tier player to whom you give a big contract. There's blog talk of $10m/year or more, and I'm just not interested at that price point.

I'd offer him three years, $18m, give or take. That puts him in the Prince Amukamara range. I'd even do one year, $7m to match Amukamara's deal, and if Melvin followed up with a strong season, we'd talk about a bigger deal. He's 28, so he might prefer a one year contract at this point.

I still think the Colts priority free agent in the offseason should be Trumaine Johnson.

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wouldn't give Melvin a big pay day. I'm glad he's playing well and I hope that means he's going to continue to play well, but if he tests the market and gets an big offer, I wouldn't be eager to match it. While he's proven to be much better than I expected, and much better than I gave him credit for early in the season, I still believe he has issues, and is a complementary corner, not an upper tier player to whom you give a big contract. There's blog talk of $10m/year or more, and I'm just not interested at that price point.

I'd offer him three years, $18m, give or take. That puts him in the Prince Amukamara range. I'd even do one year, $7m to match Amukamara's deal, and if Melvin followed up with a strong season, we'd talk about a bigger deal. He's 28, so he might prefer a one year contract at this point.

I still think the Colts priority free agent in the offseason should be Trumaine Johnson.

I he is expecting a contract anywhere near $10/year then I will happily give it to Trumaine Johnson.  Well it might take a little more each year.  I like Melvin, but I would much rather Johnson.  I can see this going two ways though for Melvin.  Get some money while you can or stick with the team that has faith in you.  Pagano leaving might effect his decision, who knows!

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I he is expecting a contract anywhere near $10/year then I will happily give it to Trumaine Johnson.  Well it might take a little more each year.  I like Melvin, but I would much rather Johnson.  I can see this going two ways though for Melvin.  Get some money while you can or stick with the team that has faith in you.  Pagano leaving might effect his decision, who knows!

If Trumaine leaves, he'll check in near the top of the CB board, around $15m/year. And I'd pull the trigger.

And if I were Melvin, I'd get some money while I can. He's been a journeyman corner for five seasons, undrafted out of Nowhere U. He turned 28 last month. He's healthy, playing well, getting praise from sites like PFF, and this is probably his only shot at a pay day. If it were me, I'm taking the biggest offer with the most guaranteed money, and I'm only considering other variables if the offers are close. I'd bet dollars to donuts his agents are talking him up around the league, as we speak.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

If Trumaine leaves, he'll check in near the top of the CB board, around $15m/year. And I'd pull the trigger.

And if I were Melvin, I'd get some money while I can. He's been a journeyman corner for five seasons, undrafted out of Nowhere U. He turned 28 last month. He's healthy, playing well, getting praise from sites like PFF, and this is probably his only shot at a pay day. If it were me, I'm taking the biggest offer with the most guaranteed money, and I'm only considering other variables if the offers are close. I'd bet dollars to donuts his agents are talking him up around the league, as we speak.

I would not doubt that his agents are going for the biggest piece of pie to help them and Melvin.  I also would not be surprised if the teams are not talking much money and Ballard is someone who will pull the trigger on a decent contract for him.  Honestly I would say Ballard would cap at about 8mil per year, 3yr/21 or24mil'ish... structured similar to Jabaal Sheard's.  This might not stop him from giving Trumaine a 5yr/75mil contract though either.  Structured right this could be a good contract an only account for a total of around $24mil between the two of them.  Then sign some o-line guys and draft well.  I see him being calculated with FA and not just throwing money like many expect or hope.  Carry over into next year will be likely imo.

10 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would not doubt that his agents are going for the biggest piece of pie to help them and Melvin.  I also would not be surprised if the teams are not talking much money and Ballard is someone who will pull the trigger on a decent contract for him.  Honestly I would say Ballard would cap at about 8mil per year, 3yr/21 or24mil'ish... structured similar to Jabaal Sheard's.  This might not stop him from giving Trumaine a 5yr/75mil contract though either.  Structured right this could be a good contract an only account for a total of around $24mil between the two of them.  Then sign some o-line guys and draft well.  I see him being calculated with FA and not just throwing money like many expect or hope.  Carry over into next year will be likely imo.

I don't think Ballard is the type to just throw anything around. But I do expect him to be a big player in free agency. Maybe no top of the market guys, but I expect him to sign 4-5 guys who will be projected starters in 2018. I think he needs to sign two starting caliber OL (slim pickings, but Andrew Norwell and James Hurst come to mind), a starting caliber corner (two if Melvin leaves), a slot receiver (Jordan Matthews / Jarvis Landry), and a starting caliber ILB (I think Hodges and Brown both did one year deals).

The other spots that need to be addressed he can handle by committee, like he did with DL and ILB this year. I might take a swing at Sheldon Richardson, but probably not at the price he'll want. I might want to take a stab at Bennie Logan, also.

Then the draft is just an honest 'take the best players' effort, with respect to draft value and all that. I haven't watched him very much, but Bradley Chubb is getting a lot of hype, and his production is outrageous. He might be a top tier edge rush prospect.

1 hour ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Fans here have been saying that since I showed up in 2012...

First regular season game of that year, Luck's first pro game was in Chicago.... AV missed two of three FGs, and the misses were between 40-49 yards out..   Posters here screamed for him to be cut! Since then, AV has enjoyed some of the best seasons of his career -- while in his 40's.

When the end comes it will likely come fast and be ugly.   But until then, ride the horse until the end!    No need to jump off AV too soon..

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think Ballard is the type to just throw anything around. But I do expect him to be a big player in free agency. Maybe no top of the market guys, but I expect him to sign 4-5 guys who will be projected starters in 2018. I think he needs to sign two starting caliber OL (slim pickings, but Andrew Norwell and James Hurst come to mind), a starting caliber corner (two if Melvin leaves), a slot receiver (Jordan Matthews / Jarvis Landry), and a starting caliber ILB (I think Hodges and Brown both did one year deals).

The other spots that need to be addressed he can handle by committee, like he did with DL and ILB this year. I might take a swing at Sheldon Richardson, but probably not at the price he'll want. I might want to take a stab at Bennie Logan, also.

Then the draft is just an honest 'take the best players' effort, with respect to draft value and all that. I haven't watched him very much, but Bradley Chubb is getting a lot of hype, and his production is outrageous. He might be a top tier edge rush prospect.

I agree and can see him bringing in a few just not shooting for all big fish, is what I meant.  Redskins have all 3 ILB's as Free Agents and Brown is their best, so I assume he stays and we might get a crack at Mason Foster.  I would be happy to get 2 or 3 OL guys that are not mediocre guys like Schwenke, but rather guys that will start and take pressure off of the draft.  Even if we spend some picks here I want guys like Norwell, Pugh, Hurst as you mentioned.  Solve the damn issue already!

Sheldon Richardson might not get anywhere close to the money he "wants".  He has been good for Seattle but not a stud that will get Suh or Watt money like he said he wanted.  Might be a perfect 1 year contract guy to prove worth and get back to the big money talk.  I would prefer Bennie over him though and wanted Bennie last year as well.  Great DL to help what we already have.

I am very curious to see this draft though.  I am liking Ballard a lot and hope he stays the route and fixes the D and OL.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I would give Melvin a 2 year contract.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Welcome back.....    good to see you posting.....

I'll share some thoughts and I don't expect them to be popular,  but that's OK.....

The 2018 free agent class looks mostly dreadful....    Melvin might just be the 2nd best corner available.     And Johnson,  as the top guy already making over 10 Mill per,  is likely going to ask for something around 5/85-5/90.    Huge money.     And I think he'll come close.    At least, 5/80 and maybe 85.    16 to 17 mill per year.

But that's it.    He's not just the best corner,  he's the ONLY top flight corner.     So that will drive up the prices on EVERYBODY else,   even Melvin.

I think an offer of 3/18 to 3/20 to Melvin will be greeted with laughter.

I'm hoping he and his agent will agree to 3-years.     I fear they will ask for 5 years.      Maybe we can compromise at 4 years....

But my opening offer is 3/22.5 (7.5 Mill per) and I'd expect that to be rejected....     I hope 3/25 (8.3 per) gets their attention.     And I think 3/30 might just get it done.      If you like Melvin (even if you don't love him) and you want him back,  then I think we have to expect to bid 3/30.      Someone is going to pay him at least that and he might get more years and dollars from someone else.     I'm not sure where we'd put our money if we couldn't get Johnson OR Melvin?       I don't really see anyone that gets my attention.

And I think it would be a bad look to have all this money and not offer it to a guy you've groomed and developed when someone else is going to offer it.     I think that would look bad for Ballard and the organization.

I don't want Melvin at any price.    So 5-years likely scares me off,  unless it's at a lower per year average.   

But I think contracts will be completely out of whack, and not just for corners.....    there will be a lot of money to offer, and few good players to receive the money.      By Law of Supply and Demand that drives all prices up.    It's a sellers market.      This 2018 FA class concerns me greatly....

By the way.....    I think our foursome of Melvin, Desir, Wilson and Hairston is very promising.   It makes me NOT worry about corner in 2018 nearly so much.     But that's only holds if we bring back Melvin.    Lose him and don't get Johnson and that scenario changes drastically.

Sorry for the length.....    I wanted to touch on a lot of issues....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fans here have been saying that since I showed up in 2012...

First regular season game of that year, Luck's first pro game was in Chicago.... AV missed two of three FGs, and the misses were between 40-49 yards out..   Posters here screamed for him to be cut! Since then, AV has enjoyed some of the best seasons of his career -- while in his 40's.

When the end comes it will likely come fast and be ugly.   But until then, ride the horse until the end!    No need to jump off AV too soon..

By the way, if one just looks around the league, you'll see there's a drastic shortage of good kickers. Forget about great, nearly automatic kickers, just guys who can be counted on to convert make-able kicks consistently. Almost half the league is below 85%. There are teams who are on their third kicker this season.

A reliable kicker is easily worth the $3m/year we're paying AV. And if he wants to stay at that number or close to it, I'd be thrilled to have him. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Welcome back.....    good to see you posting.....

I'll share some thoughts and I don't expect them to be popular,  but that's OK.....

The 2018 free agent class looks mostly dreadful....    Melvin might just be the 2nd best corner available.     And Johnson,  as the top guy already making over 10 Mill per,  is likely going to ask for something around 5/85-5/90.    Huge money.     And I think he'll come close.    At least, 5/80 and maybe 85.    16 to 17 mill per year.

But that's it.    He's not just the best corner,  he's the ONLY top flight corner.     So that will drive up the prices on EVERYBODY else,   even Melvin.

I think an offer of 3/18 to 3/20 to Melvin will be greeted with laughter.

I'm hoping he and his agent will agree to 3-years.     I fear they will ask for 5 years.      Maybe we can compromise at 4 years....

But my opening offer is 3/22.5 (7.5 Mill per) and I'd expect that to be rejected....     I hope 3/25 (8.3 per) gets their attention.     And I think 3/30 might just get it done.      If you like Melvin (even if you don't love him) and you want him back,  then I think we have to expect to bid 3/30.      Someone is going to pay him at least that and he might get more years and dollars from someone else.     I'm not sure where we'd put our money if we couldn't get Johnson OR Melvin?       I don't really see anyone that gets my attention.

And I think it would be a back look to have all this money and not offer it to a guy you've groomed and developed when someone else is going to offer it.     I think that would look bad for Ballard and the organization.

I don't want Melvin at any price.    So 5-years likely scares me off,  unless it's at a lower per year average.   

ButI think contracts will be completely out of whack, and not just for corners.....    there will be a lot of money to offer, and few good players to receive the money.      By Law of Supply and Demand that drives all prices up.    It's a sellers market.      This 2018 FA class concerns me greatly....

By the way.....    I think our foursome of Melvin, Desir, Wilson and Hairston is very promising.   It makes me NOT worry about corner in 2018 nearly so much.     But that's only holds if we bring back Melvin.    Lose him and don't get Johnson and that scenario changes drastically.

Sorry for the length.....    I wanted to touch on a lot of issues....

I agree with a lot of this, especially from a macro perspective. There are so many teams with LOADS of cap space next year, there will be some legitimately ridiculous free agent contracts on the books moving forward. It wouldn't surprise me if the Colts wind up with one or two of those.

And the CB market isn't great, like you mentioned. Even Johnson isn't having a great year, by some metrics. But he has a proven track record, he's still young enough to have time left at his peak, and I don't think the Rams can tag him again, so I expect him to break the bank. I'll swallow that pill because I think he's a really good player at an important position, one at which the Colts have a particular need.

All those reasons, and more, add up to Melvin getting a fat offer in free agency. I'll be happy for him, I just don't want the Colts to give it to him. I'm still not his biggest fan, and even if he is better than I think, I'm concerned that he's just having an 8 week hot streak and won't hold up over the course of a season or two, in which time we'd be on the hook for $20m for a guy I'm not entirely sold on. I'm backing away out of a sense of skepticism and disbelief, and it's based on what I think of his play. 

I think his value is in that $6-7m/year range. I could handle $8m over three years, through clenched teeth. I'm shoving away from the table at $10m/year. To be honest, if he wanted five at $40m, I'd do it, as long as he's not demanding a ridiculous signing bonus, because the structure will favor the team after two seasons. 

In all, I don't think teams will break the bank on the second ranked free agent just because he's the second ranked free agent. I think everyone would recognize the difference between Melvin and Johnson, in this case, but if someone else wants to back up the truck for Melvin, I'd congratulate him and wish him the best. 

Where I think we'll have to overpay drastically if we want a significant add is OL. I think $10-12m/year for a B level guard is on the way for us.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think $10-12m/year for a B level guard is on the way for us.

Interseting....

I wasn't expecting to read that......     do you have a B-level guard you think we'd throw that kind of money at?

Pugh is the only guy I think might command that.      Is there someone else?

I personally don't see Ballard going down that road, because he'll pay top dollar for a good LT (everyone does)  and he has to pay top dollar to Kelly....      and I suspect at some point he'll find the proper right tackle and have to pay him too.

So,  can we really afford to pay FOUR O-lineman big money?     

The only guard I could see him paying that too SOMEDAY is if he drafts Nelson.   And if he's the homerun most seem to think he is,   then that's a guy you pay 10-12 Mill per year for.

Otherwise.......      I'm not sure I see that.....

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interseting....

I wasn't expecting to read that......     do you have a B-level guard you think we'd throw that kind of money at?

Pugh is the only guy I think might command that.      Is there someone else?

I personally don't see Ballard going down that road, because he'll pay top dollar for a good LT (everyone does)  and he has to pay top dollar to Kelly....      and I suspect at some point he'll find the proper right tackle and have to pay him too.

So,  can we really afford to pay FOUR O-lineman big money?     

The only guard I could see him paying that too SOMEDAY is if he drafts Nelson.   And if he's the homerun most seem to think he is,   then that's a guy you pay 10-12 Mill per year for.

Otherwise.......      I'm not sure I see that.....

I look at free agent contracts as two year commitments, so I don't think you're locking yourself in to four big contracts for the OL. I think the long term solution is to draft and develop good linemen, but we have a pressing need for a guard and a right tackle. If Ballard drafts a lineman in the first or second round this year, he doesn't have to pay him for another 3-4 years, assuming that player even works out. We'll be approaching or maybe be operating under a new CBA by then. 

So let's say Andrew Norwell (coincidentally, Jack Mewhort's line mate from OSU) hits the market, and he's the best guard in free agency, I think $10m/year is in the cards for him. And even if you draft really good linemen and want to pay them when it's time, by then, you'll probably have a rookie contract for a LT, and you'll only being paying Norwell and Kelly top of the market money. Throw in a third veteran at moderate money, and you still have some wiggle room. Musical chairs, you're adding and shedding players and contracts on a yearly basis.

I think most of you guys are way off.  Ballard wants to build through the draft, any FA is stopgap.  Only guy staying for sure is Vinny, when he retires we pick up a kicker, or Sanchez kicks FG’s and punts.  I don’t see any veteran, ours or someone else’s getting a true 3-5 yr deal. 2 years maybe, but even they’ll have an escape clause.  Mingo could come back cheap, he’s failed enough times to not get a lot of attention.  

People been saying without Luck we were below mediocre, not a lot of talent.  I didn’t want to believe it but now it’s obvious.  Unlike most, I like Pagano, mostly because I hate coaching overhaul, new schemes, & blowing up continuity for all the young guys, not just Luck.  I do think Chuck will be gone though, & I’m real curious who comes next.  Is there a Dungy out there, about to be let go at the right time?  I’m thinking Harbaugh, not Jim, but John if Baltimore let’s him go.  

5 minutes ago, Coltsfan1955 said:

I think most of you guys are way off.  Ballard wants to build through the draft, any FA is stopgap.  Only guy staying for sure is Vinny, when he retires we pick up a kicker, or Sanchez kicks FG’s and punts.  I don’t see any veteran, ours or someone else’s getting a true 3-5 yr deal. 2 years maybe, but even they’ll have an escape clause.  Mingo could come back cheap, he’s failed enough times to not get a lot of attention.  

People been saying without Luck we were below mediocre, not a lot of talent.  I didn’t want to believe it but now it’s obvious.  Unlike most, I like Pagano, mostly because I hate coaching overhaul, new schemes, & blowing up continuity for all the young guys, not just Luck.  I do think Chuck will be gone though, & I’m real curious who comes next.  Is there a Dungy out there, about to be let go at the right time?  I’m thinking Harbaugh, not Jim, but John if Baltimore let’s him go.  

That's the thing, every free agent is a stopgap. Almost without exception. Maybe the best free agent signing of the last decade, maybe of all time, was Peyton Manning. He lasted four years, kind of fell apart toward the end of the third year, then went away. Of course, he was older and coming off significant surgery, but it's a proven rule that you don't build through free agency. You build through the draft. That's why Ballard wants to do it that way, because it's the only way to build a sustained winner, draft well, stack good drafts multiple years in a row, and now you have a good talent base.

But, the Colts are in a situation where they don't have any real free agent priorities, IMO, who will command big money. They have holes all over the roster, including at important positions like OL. And they will have around $90m in cap space. 

Personnel priority #1-10 is to nail the draft. But the Colts can add a handful of free agents in 2018 and again in 2019 without compromising their future cap standing or the health of their roster, and without hindering the development of their young players.

And like always, free agent signings will be structured in a way that the team can move on after a couple years, if they want. That will especially be true in 2019, since the CBA will be expiring within two seasons. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I think if there is one thing we can say about Ballard is that he does not throw money around.  There were a lot of FA's we talked to last year that went elsewhere.  I think everyone thought we were going to sign Poe for obvious reasons and he visited us first and left without a contract.  Zietler came and went without a contract.  We had Zach Brown in and Kevin Minter in and gone without a contract.  I believe Hodges was in as well and I probably forgot a few others.  I think we almost lost Hankins but he eventually came back and signed with us at the end.  This FA class is not as strong as last years so the top players are going to get paid if they hit FA.  I'm not sure Ballard will step up to get some quality additions like a T. Johnson or a Norwell or a Pugh or a Landry or a Richardson even if they even hit FA.   I don't see how he can let Melvin or Desir walk either.  What do they say always sign your best players first.  Resign your own.  What will other players think if those guys continue to play great and he doesn't sign them.   Not having enough cap space certainly won't be the issue.  This is going to be a very interesting off season especially in FA.  I'm looking forward to seeing how successful he is this year. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

i concur