Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Haslam is serious about recruiting Peyton Manning to the Browns front office

chad72

I really doubt Manning would be interested in that job.  

First of all he has no connection to that franchise.  He's never been from the Cleveland area, he never played for the Browns.

Secondly. . . IT'S THE BROWNS.  I'm sure if he wanted to go into a front office someplace he could.  Why would he choose to go into the front office of the team that is year after year the worst team in football.

The only reason I can think of is if he was able to make the team go 500 on a yearly basis they would probably build him a statue and he could be the only guy to have a statue in 2 cities.  

If he made the team winners or won a super bowl with him they would probably make the statue out of 24k gold and name him the God-King of Cleveland.  

But really who would want to be the God-King of Cleveland anyways.  It's Cleveland. 

It was funny hearing this brought up on radio and they had Jeff Saturday in.  He just laughed at the thought of Manning going to Cleveland.  Too me this is a crazy situation that might not be horrible.  They will start fresh and Peyton can make some demands to help his cause.  Turn around the Browns and yet again Manning will be a legend.

P.S. -  Never Happens!

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

First of all he has no connection to that franchise.  He's never been from the Cleveland area, he never played for the Browns.

Secondly. . . IT'S THE BROWNS.  I'm sure if he wanted to go into a front office someplace he could.  Why would he choose to go into the front office of the team that is year after year the worst team in football.

The only reason I can think of is if he was able to make the team go 500 on a yearly basis they would probably build him a statue and he could be the only guy to have a statue in 2 cities.  

If he made the team winners or won a super bowl with him they would probably make the statue out of 24k gold and name him the God-King of Cleveland.  

But really who would want to be the God-King of Cleveland anyways.  It's Cleveland. 

He doesn't have a connection to that franchise itself, but Haslam is a longtime booster of the Tennessee Volunteers football program, to which Peyton has obvious allegiances.  I highly doubt this would happen, but there are some dots that one can connect between Peyton Manning and Jimmy Haslam

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

He doesn't have a connection to that franchise itself, but Haslam is a longtime booster of the Tennessee Volunteers football program, to which Peyton has obvious allegiances.  I highly doubt this would happen, but there are some dots that one can connect between Peyton Manning and Jimmy Haslam

Careful you're going to give them a stroke

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

It was funny hearing this brought up on radio and they had Jeff Saturday in.  He just laughed at the thought of Manning going to Cleveland.  Too me this is a crazy situation that might not be horrible.  They will start fresh and Peyton can make some demands to help his cause.  Turn around the Browns and yet again Manning will be a legend.

P.S. -  Never Happens!

I saw that this morning. Saturday got a good roar out of that one. I would love to hear Manning's opening speech to the Browns team/staff if he joined. 

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Believe I've read he and Haslam are friends too. Doubt it happens though. 

12 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

LeBron?

Who would want to be the God-King of Indianapolis?  That's a question that can be asked just as easily by people outside the Colts fanbase.

I don't see it happening either but I don't think it would be absurd for him to be part of a franchise he has no professional connection to if he got something he wanted out of it either.

Unless it comes directly from Mort himself I'm not buying any of these stories regarding Manning at face value.

Hard telling what Peyton will do in the future. If he does anything Football wise, I would guess it would either be something with the Tennessee Vols Football program or with the Colts. Whether it be in the front office = some kind of Management, Coaching, Radio announcing even - he would probably find that fun and it is stress free, who knows? As of now he seems content spending time with his family.

13 minutes ago, CF4L said:

LeBron?

Who would want to be the God-King of Indianapolis?  That's a question that can be asked just as easily by people outside the Colts fanbase.

I don't see it happening either but I don't think it would be absurd for him to be part of a franchise he has no professional connection to if he got something he wanted out of it either.

Unless it comes directly from Mort himself I'm not buying any of these stories regarding Manning at face value.

Indiana is actually known as the Basketball capital of the world. Reggie Miller was God-King like. He never won a Championship but made a Finals and made 6 ECFinals. He is also on the list of the 50 Greatest players ever in NBA history per ESPN.

On 11/20/2017 at 12:42 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Watch him do it and make them a perennial contender. 

GOAT. 

I don't think he's a good fit with the group they have running the team now, and that's not to say anything bad about that group. But it's a Moneyball crew, including a baseball guy, and they put them all together to suffer through a couple bad years while laying a solid foundation moving forward. I don't necessarily think that's Manning crowd, and if Haslam hired him, it would be with an eye toward turning over the front office again. And Haslam, a long time Steelers fan, has to know that he can't keep dumping his front office and coaching staff every couple years and expect to build anything. So, me being an idealist and expecting Haslam to be smarter than this, I think it's a bad match right now.

I don't think Manning would shy away from them just because they're the Browns, or because they're in Cleveland, or anything like that. But I think if he does want to get involved in a front office, he'll cherry pick what he thinks is the perfect fit, and he'll do whatever he can to ensure that he has an honest shot at doing a good job. He wont want to be subject to the whims of an impatient owner, and if Haslam blows up the Browns again, he'll be the epitome of an impatient owner.

Overall, I'm not so certain Manning wants to join a front office right now. After all, what's the rush? He could call 25 teams any day and find a high level executive job, if he wanted, and that won't change any time soon. I could see him waiting out all the turbulence in the NFL right now, including the coming CBA disaster, and only joining a team when there's a little more certainty. 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Indiana is actually known as the Basketball capital of the world. Reggie Miller was God-King like. He never won a Championship but made a Finals and made 6 ECFinals. He is also on the list of the 50 Greatest players ever in NBA history per ESPN.

What does that have to do with being the God-King of Cleveland ?

My point is people here diss Cleveland as a city as if people haven't said the same thing about Indy.

If Manning was willing to live here for nearly 15 years I don't see why him being associated with the city of Cleveland is so laughable.

6 minutes ago, CF4L said:

What does that have to do with being the God-King of Cleveland ?

My point is people here diss Cleveland as a city as if people haven't said the same thing about Indy.

If Manning was willing to live here for nearly 15 years I don't see why him being associated with the city of Cleveland is so laughable.

Has a lot to do with it. You basically bashed Indy by saying "who would want to be the God-King of Indianapolis". I was pointing out many would in so many words because we are the Basketball capital of the world. How tough was my Post to comprehend?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Has a lot to do with it. You basically bashed Indy by saying "who would want to be the God-King of Indianapolis". I was pointing out many would in so many words because we are the Basketball capital of the world. How tough was my Post to comprehend?

Well clearly you should be asking yourself that question because I wasn't dissing Indianapolis(since I lived here for the past 12 years). I just was responding to why its laughable for people around here to say "Its Cleveland"  As if Indianapolis is much more upscale in comparison.

Ask someone from Chicago they would say both suck its all relative

15 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Well clearly you should be asking yourself that question because I wasn't dissing Indianapolis(since I lived here for the past 12 years). I just was responding to why its laughable for people around here to say "Its Cleveland"  As if Indianapolis is much more upscale in comparison.

Ask someone from Chicago they would say both suck its all relative

Well I never know what your motives are when you Post because for the last couple years you have it in your mind that Manning holds a grudge on Irsay. Which is completely false and you blame Jim Irsay for everything when he's been the 2nd winningest owner over the last 20 years. Your Posts have reflected a hatred of Jim in the past. So yeah when you Post something, I pause and wonder if you are bashing or not. I know a lot of people in Chicago, I am a Cubs fan and have relatives that live there. In the Manning era those people were jealous of the Colts actually because we practically won every week and they bashed the Bears constantly. They hated Rex Grossman.

Only way I'd see Manning doing anything with Cleveland is if he became an owner of them (percentage in ownership) in some fashion.

No other way.

He wouldn't put himself in a position to ever be fired or blamed for a franchises failure. Ownership of an nfl team is ok even if they stink.