Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AmI the only one

Imrryr

11 minutes ago, Imrryr said:

Who really really really doesnt want mcdaniels anywhere near this team? Not just because of the Patriots but because of his previous runs... I think hed be a good oc but not hc

If he had a healthy Luck in Denver, would he have won?  Probably.  Keep him away from personnel, though.

That said, it will probably be a KC assistant.  Safer choice, probably - someone with a working relationship with Ballard.  

If Harbaugh were interested, I could see it, though - excite the fan base, sell more tickets.

23 minutes ago, Imrryr said:

Who really really really doesnt want mcdaniels anywhere near this team? Not just because of the Patriots but because of his previous runs... I think hed be a good oc but not hc

McDaniels hasn't had previous RUNS.

He had one run.    With Denver.    And Belichick brought him right back.

If you still don't want him -- fine.   But if every coach only got one shot at being a head coach a large number of very successful coaches would never have enjoyed s successful career.

12 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I want David Shaw if any coaching changes are to be made. 

You don't want Shaw anywhere near your favorite NFL team.   He's a college coach.   A very good college coach but he's NOT an NFL head coach.   At all.

I think people here would quickly grow to HATE him.

im not trying to protect my favorite college team.    I'm trying to protect my favorite NFL team.

Honestly.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don't want Shaw anywhere near your favorite NFL team.   He's a college coach.   A very good college coach but he's NOT an NFL head coach.   At all.

I think people here would quickly grow to HATE him.

im not trying to protect my favorite college team.    I'm trying to protect my favorite NFL team.

Honestly.

We’ll see what happens. As long as it’s for the better of the team moving forward.

48 minutes ago, a06cc said:

He's my sleeper pick.  Pretty much under the radar.  I would prefer him over any unproven coordinators.  He's a successful HC of a major program.  I think he would jump at the chance to become an NFL coach with Luck as his QB. 

22 minutes ago, P Son said:

McDaniels is a proven loser as HC (mediocre as an OC).  I have a feeling our new coach will be a man that very few have ever heard of before.  But, he'll still be better than Pagano.

Go Colts!

Proven loser? He had one bad stint in Denver where Kyle Orton was his QB. The wheels fell off yes but he started out brilliantly and even beat New England.

I'm not saying he'll be great but I feel like saying he's just a good OC and not HC, based off 1 3/4 seasons is more premature than thinking he's learned from the experience and is ready to coach a team again.

Like NCF said, tons of great coaches needed until their second attempt to establish themselves in the league. Remember Belechick in  Cleveland?

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

Ummm, I'd take anyone over Pagano, bit Shaw is so conservative.  I'm  not a fan at all. He cost Luck a win in his last gm because he played for a fg. I'd take him over Pagano, but I hate his offense. 

33 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Proven loser? He had one bad stint in Denver where Kyle Orton was his QB. The wheels fell off yes but he started out brilliantly and even beat New England.

I'm not saying he'll be great but I feel like saying he's just a good OC and not HC, based off 1 3/4 seasons is more premature than thinking he's learned from the experience and is ready to coach a team again.

Like NCF said, tons of great coaches needed until their second attempt to establish themselves in the league. Remember Belechick in  Cleveland?

Josh can coach in Cleveland there used to losing. 

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

I totally 100 % agree! Please stay away from Josh,

I don't want him either, he was a flop in Denver. I get that was a long time ago but that still sticks with me. Not so much the losing but the way he handled things overall. Everyone has their guy they want, I want Harbaugh and some want to stay away from him. What Harbaugh did with SF was a miracle his first 3 seasons. They were awful when he took over. I also like guys like Jim Bob Cooter, he has done wonders with Matt Stafford. I wouldn't mind John Gruden either because I think he and Luck would click. I keep hearing Dave Toub which he has ties with Ballard from the KC days so that might work?

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't want him either, he was a flop in Denver. I get that was a long time ago but that still sticks with me. Not so much the losing but the way he handled things overall. Everyone has their guy they want, I want Harbaugh and some want to stay away from him. What Harbaugh did with SF was a miracle his first 3 seasons. They were awful when he took over. I also like guys like Jim Bob Cooter, he has done wonders with Matt Stafford. I wouldn't mind John Gruden either because I think he and Luck would click. I keep hearing Dave Toub which he has ties with Ballard from the KC days so that might work?

I agree with you actually. Those are my chooses as well. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The only problem I have with Jim Bob Cooter is that he was arrested in 2009 on an aggravated burglary charge after getting into bed with a woman by climbing through a window of her apartment

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If Josh gets a QB that's not Tebow you will all feel dumb for acting like he's terrible 

I don't think people should doubt the Xs and Os part of McDaniels. One of the players (DJ Williams I think) even said that he has never been more prepared for a game than he was when McDaniels was the coach.

The downfall of McDaniels was everything outside of the Xs and Os. He didn't want to deal with it. (from what I read) I also don't think he gained a great reputation by the way he treated others.

I find McDaniels intriguing as a possible head coach. I would not have any concerns about the football stuff. His handling of things outside of football would need vetted. That is a legit concern, imo.

3 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I don't think people should doubt the Xs and Os part of McDaniels. One of the players (DJ Williams I think) even said that he has never been more prepared for a game than he was when McDaniels was the coach.

The downfall of McDaniels was everything outside of the Xs and Os. He didn't want to deal with it. (from what I read) I also don't think he gained a great reputation by the way he treated others.

I find McDaniels intriguing as a possible head coach. I would not have any concerns about the football stuff. His handling of things outside of football would need vetted. That is a legit concern, imo.

That is what scares me about him as well, what you Posted.

4 minutes ago, ar7 said:

For one he won't be the GM here like he was in Denver he will have Ballard to help with things as well 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

McDaniels hasn't had previous RUNS.

He had one run.    With Denver.    And Belichick brought him right back.

If you still don't want him -- fine.   But if every coach only got one shot at being a head coach a large number of very successful coaches would never have enjoyed s successful career.

If experience means anything in this league, and it absolutely does, I will welcome a McDaniels onto this team entering his second attempt and the extra tutelage under BB. Like the Pats or not, and I hate that team for their smug arrogance and cheating ways over the years, but you have to like the resilience and way that team is run as a team who generally finishes games each and every Sunday, regardless of who is playing. I think McDaniels got to learn a valuable lesson in his first stint at Denver of what didn't work, either in his approach or his system and handling people. Learning that in the first try will certainly, or very well should, really help him in his approach in the next HC spot. I will take him right now over Jimmy Harbaugh as well. If we land the proper coordinators for his systems, and Luck returns without limitations, there is no reason McDaniel cant enjoy similar success as a BB did going from HC at Cleveland and into his own spot later on at NE. Of course I am not saying he is the mastermind and seemingly guru of football X and O's that BB has been, but learning a valuable lesson from a HC job and seemingly seamless transition back into a coordinator role with BB that had tremendous success, that bodes well into his future as a HC. I hope that happens here quite honestly. Time will tell.

Give me McDaniels. Yeah he struggled in Denver in his first stint as a HC but go do some research on that complete situation and you’ll find that he admitted his mistakes. Thus he’ll be able to learn and grow from them. His first season he went 8-8 (and beat the Patriots) with two team wreckers in Cutler and Brandon Marshall. He would struggle the next year with Orton and he did draft Tebow. Biggest knock was he was hard on his coordinators. Was probably too young for the job at the time...

After that failure, he turned to Tony Dungy for advice on how to build trusting relationships with your coordinators and players. (He gets an A+ from me for that). Then Bill Belichick brought him back to New England and wrote him a letter on becoming a better leader and head coach...  So the pedigree is there along with the humility and willingness to ask others for advice in an attempt to improve and get better. 

If you check Josh’s bio, you’ll see two great names. He got his football start under Saban(best college coach of all time). Been with Belichick (best professional coach of all time) for well over a decade. And unlike BB’s other coordinators who may have coached under him, I don’t think they were taken under Bill’s wing like McDaniels has been. And he’s the only major staffer that I can think of who’s been there for EVERY Patriots Super Bowl victory besides Belichick & Brady.  I refuse to believe that he hasn’t learned the importance of attention to detail from Bill. Plus, there’s a good chance he could bring the next young up and coming stud defensive mind from over there with him to be our DC.

The guy deserves a 2nd chance and it’s really a shame that Irsay is so fixated on style over substance by chasing after Gruden. He chased Gruden & left us stuck with Chuck...  Then there’s Harbaugh who is another style over substance hire...  Burns bridges everywhere he goes. Word is that he and Luck didn’t get along well and his offense at Michigan is pedestrian...

Irsay could have brought in McDaniels and Ballard this past offseason. We would have Brissett QB’ing in McDaniels system (a system he knows) and Luck could have taken this down year to watch and learn and have hit the ground running next year...  Instead we’ll end up with Irsay running another 3 ring circus this offseason chasing Gruden or Harbaugh or Saban or we’ll end up with another unproven HC (this one a special teams coordinator...) in Toub and our fates will all rest on him bringing in the right OC & DC...  Don’t have to worry about our offense with McDaniels. So we’ll already have the offense set.  

Quit the pipe dreaming Irsay and get it done this offseason. 

17 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Give me McDaniels. Yeah he struggled in Denver in his first stint as a HC but go do some research on that complete situation and you’ll find that he admitted his mistakes. Thus he’ll be able to learn and grow from them. His first season he went 8-8 (and beat the Patriots) with two team wreckers in Cutler and Brandon Marshall. He would struggle the next year with Orton and he did draft Tebow. Biggest knock was he was hard on his coordinators. Was probably too young for the job at the time...

After that failure, he turned to Tony Dungy for advice on how to build trusting relationships with your coordinators and players. (He gets an A+ from me for that). Then Bill Belichick brought him back to New England and wrote him a letter on becoming a better leader and head coach...  So the pedigree is there along with the humility and willingness to ask others for advice in an attempt to improve and get better. 

If you check Josh’s bio, you’ll see two great names. He got his football start under Saban(best college coach of all time). Been with Belichick (best professional coach of all time) for well over a decade. And unlike BB’s other coordinators who may have coached under him, I don’t think they were taken under Bill’s wing like McDaniels has been. And he’s the only major staffer that I can think of who’s been there for EVERY Patriots Super Bowl victory besides Belichick & Brady.  I refuse to believe that he hasn’t learned the importance of attention to detail from Bill. Plus, there’s a good chance he could bring the next young up and coming stud defensive mind from over there with him to be our DC.

The guy deserves a 2nd chance and it’s really a shame that Irsay is so fixated on style over substance by chasing after Gruden. He chased Gruden & left us stuck with Chuck...  Then there’s Harbaugh who is another style over substance hire...  Burns bridges everywhere he goes. Word is that he and Luck didn’t get along well and his offense at Michigan is pedestrian...

Irsay could have brought in McDaniels and Ballard this past offseason. We would have Brissett QB’ing in McDaniels system (a system he knows) and Luck could have taken this down year to watch and learn and have hit the ground running next year...  Instead we’ll end up with Irsay running another 3 ring circus this offseason chasing Gruden or Harbaugh or Saban or we’ll end up with another unproven HC (this one a special teams coordinator...) in Toub and our fates will all rest on him bringing in the right OC & DC...  Don’t have to worry about our offense with McDaniels. So we’ll already have the offense set.  

He's been with BB forever and he didn't learn a thing about how to build a staff and run a football team?  Not all coaches have what it takes to be a HC.  He's good at what he does but that's it.  BB is his security blanket and he likes it.  If he was ambitious and really wanted to be a HC he could have left multiple times in the past.  I'll pass on this guy.  I want a leader running our team not a content employee. 

Seems like Mcdaniels could get all the control he wanted in Cleveland. I think they will probably fire Hugh and the GM this off season. But I Sort of recall Josh passing up on Cleveland in a previous season. I'm not sure I see him working with Ballard but who knows. I think Irsay wants somebody that's more like Dungy. Somebody that is good with people, a good teacher and leader, but strong on execution and the small details. A personality guys can rally around. Chuck has a lot of those traits along with some flaws that never seem to get resolved enough for people to really trust he can get it done. Dont know who the next guy will be if they make a change but I'm sure it will be somebody that matches what I listed above.

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Couple of things:

1. Irsay he didn’t chase after Gruden. If he’s to be believed, he talked with Gruden (and others) about the state of the team. Luck and Gruden are a match made in heaven. If Gruden were to be offered the job, he’d accept.

2. Gruden isn’t style over substance. You talk about giving chances yet you’re probably judging Gruden because of the past narrative about him.

3. The question with McDaniels is about his ability to deal with people and all the interpersonal aspects of being a coach, not his X’s and O’s.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Couple of things:

1. Irsay he didn’t chase after Gruden. If he’s to be believed, he talked with Gruden (and others) about the state of the team. Luck and Gruden are a match made in heaven. If Gruden were to be offered the job, he’d accept.

2. Gruden isn’t style over substance. You talk about giving chances yet you’re probably judging Gruden because of the past narrative about him.

3. The question with McDaniels is about his ability to deal with people and all the interpersonal aspects of being a coach, not his X’s and O’s.

Preach 

So basically, if I read into the OP's opening statement correctly, because McDaniels failed in Denver, he will forever be a failure?  Uh, No.  That isn't the way it works.  People change, and believe it or not, can learn from their mistakes.  Look at it this way, the Patriots took McDaniels back, after he LEFT them.  Why?  

Obviously they took him back because they saw a tremendous value.  It is very rare to be rehired by any employer after you leave, so for him to be taken back in speaks volumes.  I think McDaniels deserves a second chance without question and I hope Irsay is the one who gives him one.

18 hours ago, #12. said:

If he had a healthy Luck in Denver, would he have won?  Probably.  Keep him away from personnel, though.

That said, it will probably be a KC assistant.  Safer choice, probably - someone with a working relationship with Ballard.  

If Harbaugh were interested, I could see it, though - excite the fan base, sell more tickets.

How about the OC in KC heard he is at the top of Ballards list . 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope our new Coach is Jim Bob Cooter, our Offense would be unstoppable then. Plus I love his name.

Have you watched DET lately? Cooter is even more predictable than Chud...and his stubborn desire to make Abdullah a thing has held his team back. Plus, DET has given only six less sacks than IND. I don't want Luck to have to continue to sling it downfield to win games. 

54 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

So basically, if I read into the OP's opening statement correctly, because McDaniels failed in Denver, he will forever be a failure?  Uh, No.  That isn't the way it works.  People change, and believe it or not, can learn from their mistakes.  Look at it this way, the Patriots took McDaniels back, after he LEFT them.  Why?  

Obviously they took him back because they saw a tremendous value.  It is very rare to be rehired by any employer after you leave, so for him to be taken back in speaks volumes.  I think McDaniels deserves a second chance without question and I hope Irsay is the one who gives him one.

I don't think is true at all. Just like at the NFL level, there is a shortage talent across most industries...and even less that fit what that company is trying to do. Unless there is a huge fallout or legal issues, there should be a decent chance that someone could return to a previous employer.

As for NFL coaches, there are several examples of this happening. In fact, there are actually two relevant examples with the Colts...Ted Marchibroda (had two stints as HC with the Colts) and Chud (had three different coaching stints with CLE and two different stints with SD).

That being said, I could see it. I think he would have a lot of fun working with Mack. Whoever they hire needs to be an offensive-minded HC with a good system...no more DCs turned HCs.

16 hours ago, ar7 said:

Interestingly enough, McDaniels was never more prepared as well (Spygate joke).

19 hours ago, Imrryr said:

McDaniels was 32 years old (almost 33) when he was hired as the head coach of the Broncos and he was fired when he was 34.  

That's pretty darn young for a HC.  He likely had a few players that where older then he was. 

Not only that but his quarterbacking situation left a lot to be desired.  

I think it's a little early to just say he can't be a successful head coach.

I'm not sure he's the guy I want either but just wanted to say in his defense, his time as head coach for Denver he was really young.